PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds say

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2016, 09:13 AM
He has heard word out of the Alabama coach's offices that, specifically with Jalen Hurts, Nick Saban sees who Dan Mullen offers to play QB & then he offers the same guy.

So much for evaluation winning out. You have to win recruiting battles.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-23-2016, 09:19 AM
He has heard word out of the Alabama coach's offices that, specifically with Jalen Hurts, Nick Saban sees who Dan Mullen offers to play QB & then he offers the same guy.

Sounds good but outside of Hurts it doesn't apply to anyone else we've recruited or they've recruited.

msstate7
06-23-2016, 09:20 AM

Thompson doesn't show a bama offer

Ifyouonlyknew
06-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Sound like this is a slow day for Bo & he's just throwing stuff out there. We offered Hurts in June of 2014 Bama offered Feb 2015. They weren't exactly on our heels offering because Mullen did.

Jack Lambert
06-23-2016, 09:34 AM
If I was a head coach I would watch who Mullen recruited at QB. He has done a good job with the QB's.

deltadawg99
06-23-2016, 09:43 AM
I bet that is more common then you think across the board, not just Mullen with QBs. With the Recruiting services and Twitter, it isn't a secret as to who schools offer.

PassInterference
06-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Our offense and Bama's offense need different style QBs. So I'm calling BS.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Dual threat QBs suck in Kiffin/Saban's system. Not sure why they grabbed him. He is a great prospect but Alabama isn't known for being able to develop QBs. He would have thrived here.

AROB44
06-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Just another shot at Mullen.....getting pretty common around here.

LockeDawg
06-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Our offense and Bama's offense need different style QBs. So I'm calling BS.This

Somebody in that Bama coaching staff are specifically pulling Bo's leg, and he doesn't even know it.

Jack Lambert
06-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Dual threat QBs suck in Kiffin/Saban's system. Not sure why they grabbed him. He is a great prospect but Alabama isn't known for being able to develop QBs. He would have thrived here.

Wasn't that what sims was? He worked out ok.

1bigdawg
06-23-2016, 10:27 AM
I bet that is more common then you think across the board, not just Mullen with QBs. With the Recruiting services and Twitter, it isn't a secret as to who schools offer.

I don't know why we don't do this more, especially with OL where we don't seem to evaluate as well. I know the coaches like to see OL in camp prior to offering. To me, that sounds like the Ron Polk approach which stopped working when the conference got competitive.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-23-2016, 10:29 AM
I know the coaches like to see OL in camp prior to offering. To me, that sounds like the Ron Polk approach which stopped working when the conference got competitive.

That's not really true anymore. Every OL target on our board had an offer before camp except 1 who received an offer after camp (Will Sherman).

deltadawg99
06-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Now that I think about it, besides Hurt, what QBs has Saban made a run at that we offered? I think Tyler Russell may have had an offer, but not sure if it was solid or not.

the59dawg
06-23-2016, 10:45 AM

This is right on.

scottycameron
06-23-2016, 10:59 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

To fill safety or TE spots? ****

maroonmania
06-23-2016, 11:21 AM

That is not really as true as it used to be. With the success of Blake Sims a couple of years ago Saban and Kiffin are probably much more open to having a more dual threat type guy than they were previously. In 2014 Sims killed us with his running ability. I think offering and signing Hurts shows that they are looking at both pro style and dual threat QBs.

scottycameron
06-23-2016, 11:53 AM
That is not really as true as it used to be. With the success of Blake Sims a couple of years ago Saban and Kiffin are probably much more open to having a more dual threat type guy than they were previously. In 2014 Sims killed us with his running ability. I think offering and signing Hurts shows that they are looking at both pro style and dual threat QBs.

They aren't recruiting him for QB. Remember jimmy johns? Sounds funny now that the sandwich place is so big.

msstate7
06-23-2016, 11:55 AM
They aren't recruiting him for QB. Remember jimmy johns? Sounds funny now that the sandwich place is so big.

Yeah, we should feel foolish calling him a bust now that he's taking on subway**

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Wasn't ideal though. They made it to the playoff sure but a drop back pro style QB would have been a better fit. Look at how bad their QB play was last year with Coker and they won a national title. Dual threats don't succeed in a Saban offense at least to the pennacle Alabama fans are used to.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Did they win the national title with Sims? Nope.

Jack Lambert
06-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Wasn't ideal though. They made it to the playoff sure but a drop back pro style QB would have been a better fit. Look at how bad their QB play was last year with Coker and they won a national title. Dual threats don't succeed in a Saban offense at least to the pennacle Alabama fans are used to.

I think he sign as a Running back. They made it work.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Alabama will never be a place that QBs thrive simply because they don't need them to. Saban's ideal offense is to get a QB who is a game manager that won't lose them the game. He doesn't need a superstar QB. I'm very surprised that Kiffin is still there because IMO I would think Saban would be too much in his business and if you see how they interact on the sidelines he is. Eventually those egos will clash and not be able to work together. It worked out for the most part last year and led to a national title, however with as much talent that Alabama has it should be a foregone conclusion that they will be in SEC championship/national championship discussion every year. Can a QB go there and win a national championship? Sure. Can a QB go there and ensure themselves of an NFL career after their career at Alabama? Nope.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 12:42 PM
I think he sign as a Running back. They made it work.

What's he doing in the NFL?

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 12:44 PM

And he killed them against Ohio State and Ole Miss. He directly led to their two losses that year.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-23-2016, 12:46 PM
And he killed them against Ohio State and Ole Miss. He directly led to their two losses that year.

But wouldn't that be more due to his inexperience, rather than he's just a dual threat QB?

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 12:48 PM
But wouldn't that be more due to his inexperience, rather than he's just a dual threat QB?

Inexperience? He was a freaking senior.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Inexperience? He was a freaking senior.

With how many starts at QB? And how long had he been at QB?

TUSK
06-23-2016, 02:12 PM

Blake Sims was a RB...

Phillip Sims was a drop back style guy... He was processed.

Jalen Hurts has been looking really good, and is a "dark horse" to start/contribute...

additionally, I've noticed no significant patterns between Mullen/Saban re: QB recruits....

BB30
06-23-2016, 02:16 PM
I get what yall are saying as far as duel threat vs pro style QB but i think it depends more or less on the actual kid. Just because you are a duel threat doesn't necessarily mean you cant be a drop back passer or your stereotypical pro style QB. I think most kids that are duel threats in HS have the offense centered around them which is more prone to read option/spread so they aren't necessarily asked to do the same things that they would be asked to do in a Bama O. A good intelligent kid that can also run could have just as much success in the Bama O as a drop back guy. I would take Josh Dobbs over a Grayson Lambert(UGA)no matter what offense is being run. I would have taken Dak over coker in the bama offense. Just because you can run doesn't mean you cant have success in a pro style offense.

TUSK
06-23-2016, 02:19 PM

While Coker struggled some early, he performed really well, IMO.... Esp. late in the season and in big games...

Statistically, he was "good"....

TUSK
06-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Alabama will never be a place that QBs thrive simply because they don't need them to. Saban's ideal offense is to get a QB who is a game manager that won't lose them the game. He doesn't need a superstar QB. I'm very surprised that Kiffin is still there because IMO I would think Saban would be too much in his business and if you see how they interact on the sidelines he is. Eventually those egos will clash and not be able to work together. It worked out for the most part last year and led to a national title, however with as much talent that Alabama has it should be a foregone conclusion that they will be in SEC championship/national championship discussion every year. Can a QB go there and win a national championship? Sure. Can a QB go there and ensure themselves of an NFL career after their career at Alabama? Nope.

no. (mostly)

TUSK
06-23-2016, 02:23 PM

this is correct... dude was a RB, not a QB...

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 03:01 PM
While Coker struggled some early, he performed really well, IMO.... Esp. late in the season and in big games...

Meh, he wasn't a great QB. He had Derrick Henry at RB to take the pressure off of him and some bad ass WRs to throw to. Sims had another bad ass receiver to throw to as well. Coker was average at best and was not the QB he was hyped up to be at all.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 03:06 PM
no. (mostly)

You disagreeing with what I said or agreeing? Saban isn't known for putting QBs in the league and he seems to be good with it.

RocketDawg
06-23-2016, 03:11 PM

And unless I'm mistaken, the only game he didn't start they wound up losing. To the Bears. Freak loss for sure, but a loss in the record books anyway.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 03:15 PM
He was so great he went undrafted in the NFL draft this spring. Yep, that great.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 03:16 PM

Statistically speaking, Blake Sims had a better year in 2014.

MarketingBully
06-23-2016, 03:17 PM
And unless I'm mistaken, the only game he didn't start they wound up losing. To the Bears. Freak loss for sure, but a loss in the record books anyway.

And guess what. They started a dual threat QB that game.

shannondawg
06-23-2016, 03:22 PM
How many high school ab's are recruited for other positions?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-23-2016, 03:24 PM
How many high school ab's are recruited for other positions?

It seems like that mostly happens in states like Mississippi where some schools still play old school football and put their best players at QB, RB, or somewhere on D.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Statistically speaking, Blake Sims had a better year in 2014.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5539cae7/turbine/sfl-omar-kelly-top-50-players-2015-nfl-draft-2-002/1050/1050x591