PDA

View Full Version : Old Venice closing in Starkville

starkvegasdawg
06-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Supposedly tonight is it. Turning into a Moe's BBQ.

civildawg
06-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Wow. That had been there a long time too

Todd4State
06-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Last time I went there the service was horrible. Surprised it made it this long.

mic
06-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Another BBQ place??.

starkvegasdawg
06-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Another BBQ place??.

I know. Starkville needs that like it needs another sub place.

I seen it dawg
06-22-2016, 06:03 PM
****. To more bbq

LC Dawg
06-22-2016, 06:13 PM
We went there the regional weekend and I predicted it wouldn't last through the summer. The service had gotten horrible and the food was also slipping. I hate it because we always enjoyed the place.

Todd4State
06-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Starkville needs a Bonefish Grill type of seafood place. Except local.

craigmid
06-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Moe's is Tex-Mex.
https://www.moes.com/

Covercorner2
06-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Moe's is Tex-Mex.

There is a Moe's BBQ too...

http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/lo/nola/nola-menu/

Johnson85
06-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Moe's is Tex-Mex.

Surely they're not doing Moes burritos place. That would be a tragic waste of that building.

Csdog
06-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Surely they're not doing Moes burritos place. That would be a tragic waste of that building.

Please not another BBQ place in Starkville

HSVDawg
06-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Say what you want, but Moe's BBQ is damn awesome and will do well in that location. Their smoked wings are ridiculous and they always have a good tapped beer selection. It will be a huge upgrade over OVPC.

Csdog
06-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Every MSU alum does not like to eat BBQ and fried chicken all the friggin time

RC3
06-22-2016, 07:11 PM
It's moes bbq. Not mex

HSVDawg
06-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Every MSU alum does not like to eat BBQ and fried chicken all the friggin time

Well then I guess you should have opened your own place there and beaten them to the punch. I like variety as much as the next guy, but the thing downtown Starkville needs most is a place that can stay open and attract a crowd consistently. Moe's has the clout to do just that as they have been very successful at every location they have opened (similar to Mugshots in that regard). After about a 10 year resurgence, downtown has been dying a slow death with the closing of the bar above Restaurant Tyler, closing of two different restaurants in the old State Theater, the neutering of Mugshots to where they don't stay open past 10, and now the closing of Old Venice. Good, stable businesses are what downtown needs to attract other good, stable businesses.

Csdog
06-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I respect your opinion. I would like to see better restaurants in Starkville. And no,I'm not willing to go into the business

dickiedawg
06-22-2016, 07:21 PM
My only experience with Moe's Original was not great. I'd be more than happy to give it another chance.

Why are people so bent out of shape about another potential 'Q joint?

Yes, we could stand a good steakhouse and a non-fried seafood place. But if you want to sit (inside) and eat barbecue, it's Dooeys or Dickeys. Dooeys is impossible on game weekends. Dickey's is tiny.

Not to mention, you could take barbecue off the menu at LD and still have one of the best restaurants in town.

HSVDawg
06-22-2016, 07:23 PM
I respect your opinion. I would like to see better restaurants in Starkville. And no,I'm not willing to go into the business

Fair enough. Even if you don't want BBQ or fried chicken, I'd still encourage you to give Moe's a shot just for the beer selection and live music. The one by my house stays packed 7 days a week.

Csdog
06-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Will do

gravedigger
06-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Last time I went there the service was horrible. Surprised it made it this long.

I dont agree about the service, but a bonefish grill would be exquisite

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-22-2016, 07:49 PM
I know. Starkville needs that like it needs another sub place.

or another pizza place**

BeastMan
06-22-2016, 07:52 PM
The guy who will be the opening GM is moving down from Colorado and is a good bulldog. You should give it a shot. I'm told they are doing some very cool remodeling and want the place to be fun. Live music , drinks, and stay open late slinging BBQ. I know we already have LD and Petty's but this is a completely different atmosphere and setup from what I understand. Craft beer, brisket, and some guitar strummin is in my wheelhouse.

SapperDawg
06-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Fair enough. Even if you don't want BBQ or fried chicken, I'd still encourage you to give Moe's a shot just for the beer selection and live music. The one by my house stays packed 7 days a week.

Providence or Jones Valley?

And for the record, I am a Moe's fan. Wing platter or BBQ nachos is the way to go. Also ensure you check out the Thanksgiving sandwich.

BeastMan
06-22-2016, 07:59 PM

What Starkville really needs is original restaurants started and ran by Bulldogs who are invested in the community and will give back to the community.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-22-2016, 08:02 PM
I was out when Old Venice quit giving free bread.

Two Brothers has some really good BBQ dishes, especially when they have brisket on the menu. You can sit down there, and I'd go there way before Dickey's. And I like Dickey's a lot.

Sounds like Moe's will do well on gamedays. Hopefully it will bring some traffic to downtown. I graduated less than 5 years ago and with the closings/ restrictions mentioned above it has taken a huge hit on nightlife since my day.

Todd4State
06-22-2016, 08:31 PM
What Starkville really needs is original restaurants started and ran by Bulldogs who are invested in the community and will give back to the community.

THIS! And places that have local musicians playing which it sounds like the new place will do that. You have a variety of local places that serve various types of food and some with music, some pubs and that's how Starkville gets a vibrant nightlife. And it needs to run from the Cotton District all the way down Main St.

HSVDawg
06-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Providence or Jones Valley?

And for the record, I am a Moe's fan. Wing platter or BBQ nachos is the way to go. Also ensure you check out the Thanksgiving sandwich.

Providence

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2016, 08:42 PM
More BBQ is awful. There is becoming almost no selection whatsoever in Starkville. Burgers, Q, chicken, sammiches. If you don't want one of those, you're SOL.

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2016, 08:45 PM
The guy who will be the opening GM is moving down from Colorado and is a good bulldog. You should give it a shot. I'm told they are doing some very cool remodeling and want the place to be fun. Live music , drinks, and stay open late slinging BBQ. I know we already have LD and Petty's but this is a completely different atmosphere and setup from what I understand. Craft beer, brisket, and some guitar strummin is in my wheelhouse.

For purely personal taste, I'm with you. That sounds amazing. But the overall point myself and several others are making is the variety in town is sorely lacking. I have no idea how to fix it in a retirement community, though.

BeardoMSU
06-22-2016, 08:59 PM
An Italian restaurant that doesn't serve bread doesn't deserve to stay in business. Also, their service has gotten progressively worse the last 6 months....like waitresses not know what time happy hour hour is, bringing out wrong food, and just generally not being good at your job. Shame though, because I used to love the place.

LC Dawg
06-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Downtown Starkville has so much potential to me. I know they run shuttles on game days but I don't know if they do other days. I think one of the main things working against downtown Starkville is its distance from campus.

DawgHouseUnited
06-22-2016, 09:36 PM
Was there right before the super regionals. We ate there and was strikingly underwhelmed by the food. Service was "meh." It's hard to do well with those two things in the restaurant biz..

gravedigger
06-22-2016, 10:23 PM

Exactly

Schultzy
06-22-2016, 10:26 PM
More BBQ is awful. There is becoming almost no selection whatsoever in Starkville. Burgers, Q, chicken, sammiches. If you don't want one of those, you're SOL.

Not so. You can get steaks, seafood, crispy duck and a good variety at Tyler or the Veranda. Golden Horn is the same just 12 minutes away on four lane Hwy 12.
And those aren't the only places you can get steaks, there are the b-list national chains like Chilis and Ruby Tuesdays for those that like that level of restaurant.
Cappe's is re-opening at the same location after the fire they had, super steaks there.

ETA: I think a national chain with that kind of backing can go all in in that location with live music, bar and large beer selection. It'll be perfect and a big hit.

gravedigger
06-22-2016, 10:29 PM
Supposedly tonight is it. Turning into a Moe's BBQ.

What yall are going to laugh at and what i think every ms town needs is a fish fry. Dont take much, but to me, it isnt the south without one.

Guys in vaiden and carmack in....carmack i guess are my favorites outside of dooyes and larrys in starkville.

Schultzy
06-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Oby's fried catfish is the best kept secret in town. It is the breaded lighter than anywhere you will ever eat catfish and with the perfect amount of pepper and salt.

starkvegasdawg
06-22-2016, 10:47 PM
What yall are going to laugh at and what i think every ms town needs is a fish fry. Dont take much, but to me, it isnt the south without one.

Guys in vaiden and carmack in....carmack i guess are my favorites outside of dooyes and larrys in starkville.

Vaiden has, hands down, the best hushpuppies I have ever eaten.

SPMT
06-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Man, Oxford kicks our ass in the downtown department. Really badly. There's no need to copy, but a different mentality is needed. We do actually have decent variety spread around town. We just need a high traffic, commercial mentality for Starkville.

It's the alumni and residents fault as much as anything as compared to some of the other SEC towns. The "retirement community" is overblown in my opinion. I have heard no one against progression of downtown.

BeardoMSU
06-23-2016, 01:32 AM
What yall are going to laugh at and what i think every ms town needs is a fish fry.

Penns at least provides the "fried fish fix", even though it's a chain. I'm surprised no one has done something with the Wasson's location.

BeardoMSU
06-23-2016, 01:34 AM
N
Cappe's is re-opening at the same location after the fire they had, super steaks there.

Decent, not super.

Johnson85
06-23-2016, 07:31 AM

Bonefish apparently needs a pretty large, affluent population to make it. I think the only one left in Mississippi is in Madison. I guess their margins are just small because for a chain, I always thought Bonefish was really good.

Johnson85
06-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Well then I guess you should have opened your own place there and beaten them to the punch. I like variety as much as the next guy, but the thing downtown Starkville needs most is a place that can stay open and attract a crowd consistently. Moe's has the clout to do just that as they have been very successful at every location they have opened (similar to Mugshots in that regard). After about a 10 year resurgence, downtown has been dying a slow death with the closing of the bar above Restaurant Tyler, closing of two different restaurants in the old State Theater, the neutering of Mugshots to where they don't stay open past 10, and now the closing of Old Venice. Good, stable businesses are what downtown needs to attract other good, stable businesses.

So what is left downtown? No State Theatre, Mugshots no longer offering a bar atmosphere, and nothing above Restaurant Tyler? (Or is it just a restaurant now? Last I went I think it was a gyro place).

Is it just the beer garden and the speakeasy?

Dawgbite
06-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Wassons is now the Mayhew Junction Brewery.

starkvegasdawg
06-23-2016, 07:45 AM
So what is left downtown? No State Theatre, Mugshots no longer offering a bar atmosphere, and nothing above Restaurant Tyler? (Or is it just a restaurant now? Last I went I think it was a gyro place).

Is it just the beer garden and the speakeasy?
Pita Pit if you want to count it. Strombolis on the other end of University, too.

Todd4State
06-23-2016, 07:55 AM
Bonefish apparently needs a pretty large, affluent population to make it. I think the only one left in Mississippi is in Madison. I guess their margins are just small because for a chain, I always thought Bonefish was really good.

To be clear Starkville needs a locally owned place like a Bonefish. Not the actual chain itself.

Todd4State
06-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Pita Pit if you want to count it. Strombolis on the other end of University, too.

Love Pita Pit.

BankerDog
06-23-2016, 08:02 AM
Two Brother's and Petty's are the best BBQ in town.

The Bin is the bin.

We have a Salsarita's which is B level Chiptole.

And for fine dining, you guys have covered all the basics; but have failed to mention the Guest Room. It is simply amazing.

louisvilledawg
06-23-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm upset they are a closing. I spent many a night in there drinking well whiskey and not talking to women

starkvegasdawg
06-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Two Brother's and Petty's are the best BBQ in town.

The Bin is the bin.

We have a Salsarita's which is B level Chiptole.

And for fine dining, you guys have covered all the basics; but have failed to mention the Guest Room. It is simply amazing.

I didn't even know about Two Brothers.

QuadrupleOption
06-23-2016, 08:39 AM
I was more upset about Bulldog Deli becoming Bulldog Burgers. I mean, it was good but I didn't expect to spend $20 on lunch.

It's been awhile since I've been back to downtown Starkville on business.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-23-2016, 08:43 AM

It's tucked away in the Cotton District next to Commodore Bob's in the old Jean's Cafe location (which is now in the old Waffle House by the highlands). I believe it's run by a pair of alumni brothers, one cooks and the other manages. Staff is young but they seem to take a lot of pride in their service. They don't do much advertising other than social media, so there's typically a younger crowd, but it's a great atmosphere and I've never had a bad experience. Parking is a hassle in the Cotton District, but it's worth it to support local business. They have really good meat, a great selection of alcohol, and the best brisket sandwich I've ever had (although not a regular menu item).

notoriousdog
06-23-2016, 08:53 AM
If the Starkville location is like the Auburn location, Moe's BBQ will do really well.

BeastMan
06-23-2016, 08:57 AM

There was one on the coast. And all restaurants margins are incredibly small. That's why it's one of the most volatile businesses there is. The reason most mid to high level chains don't do Starkville is because of the studies they do. Starkvilld has the population but a lot of that is student or university employed which means there isn't a ton of money folks. They want X amount of people over a medium household income.

Now in a college town that's a little misleading because there are a lot of unemployed students who spend s bunch of money. i think a good blue plate restaurant would crush. Or a small plate concept. When you look at the square in Oxford, it's not chains. It's locally owned places where the owners are OM folks who are invested in the community.

MSUDawg99
06-23-2016, 09:03 AM

Across street from the Bin in one of those two story bldg's. I guess it's next to Commodore Bob's too. Still need to check those places out when I'm up there.

starkvegasdawg
06-23-2016, 09:04 AM
There was one on the coast. And all restaurants margins are incredibly small. That's why it's one of the most volatile businesses there is. The reason most mid to high level chains don't do Starkville is because of the studies they do. Starkvilld has the population but a lot of that is student or university employed which means there isn't a ton of money folks. They want X amount of people over a medium household income.

Now in a college town that's a little misleading because there are a lot of unemployed students who spend s bunch of money. i think a good blue plate restaurant would crush. Or a small plate concept. When you look at the square in Oxford, it's not chains. It's locally owned places where the owners are OM folks who are invested in the community.

I've wondered lately how Columbus has gotten all these big time chains in lately while Starkville missed out. I'm really surprised that the old Wasson's Fish House building has been vacant all these years. To me that would be a prime location for a place to go in like a Golden Corral or something.

HSVDawg
06-23-2016, 09:08 AM
It's tucked away in the Cotton District next to Commodore Bob's in the old Jean's Cafe location (which is now in the old Waffle House by the highlands). I believe it's run by a pair of alumni brothers, one cooks and the other manages. Staff is young but they seem to take a lot of pride in their service. They don't do much advertising other than social media, so there's typically a younger crowd, but it's a great atmosphere and I've never had a bad experience. Parking is a hassle in the Cotton District, but it's worth it to support local business. They have really good meat, a great selection of alcohol, and the best brisket sandwich I've ever had (although not a regular menu item).

I've heard that Two Brothers is solid. I just hope they stay open. Anywhere in that area is difficult because the rent is outrageous. Every single location in those new developments has turned over ownership at least 3 or 4 times. Those two bars across from the bin that are both about the size of my kitchen turn over to new owners pretty much every football season. Bin 612 is the only one that has been stable.

louisvilledawg
06-23-2016, 09:24 AM
i wish someone would purchase the lot across from the bin and make it a local eating spot with music, good food, maybe a back patio with a couple cornhole games set up. Feel like that location would kill it, plus it could be a good size instead of something like two brothers or sushi martini.

I don't think the woman is interested in selling the lot though

BeastMan
06-23-2016, 09:24 AM
I've wondered lately how Columbus has gotten all these big time chains in lately while Starkville missed out. I'm really surprised that the old Wasson's Fish House building has been vacant all these years. To me that would be a prime location for a place to go in like a Golden Corral or something.

The Wassons building's biggest issue was parking. I have no idea how they didn't make it. A fish house that serves a few other items like a steak or ribs should crank in Starkville. And I mean good catfish. Not some cheap buffet nonsense.

dickiedawg
06-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Two Brothers has some really good BBQ dishes, especially when they have brisket on the menu. You can sit down there, and I'd go there way before Dickey's. And I like Dickey's a lot.

I forgot about 2 brothers. Their smoked wings are outstanding. It's certainly not your typical bbq joint though.
Tried to go there yesterday actually, but they aren't open for lunch, or are only open for lunch certain days.

Mjoelner34
06-23-2016, 09:53 AM

Same here. I remember just after the bypass opened I heard that Starkville was getting a Cracker Barrel and a Logan's or Longhorn Steakhouse out where the car dealership (which I think is now a church) is located. Meanwhile, a Logan's and a Cracker Barrel opened last year in Columbus and we still just have a church operating out of a defunct car dealership.

I also heard that the Neon Pig in Tupelo was expanding to Oxford (already up and running) and Columbus. No mention of Starkville.

Does anyone have any updates on the Holiday Inn at The Mill that is supposed to have an Azlin's Steakhouse in it?

Johnson85
06-23-2016, 09:59 AM

I mean margins on each meal are small. When it's all said and done, almost all restaurants end up with small margins (<3%), but usually the margin they make on each meal goes up with the price of the average ticket so that more expensive, sit down restaurants can get by with doing lower volume. The Bonefish on the coast was in a good location and used to do a lot of volume with it being normal to see crowds waiting outside. Maybe their business dried up as more restaurants came in after Katrina, but Bonefish shut down a lot of restaurants at once (of which the Coast was one), which makes me think that their margins are smaller than other equivalent chains, as all the ones I've seen stay busy.

MSUDawg99
06-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Same here. I remember just after the bypass opened I heard that Starkville was getting a Cracker Barrel and a Logan's or Longhorn Steakhouse out where the car dealership (which I think is now a church) is located. Meanwhile, a Logan's and a Cracker Barrel opened last year in Columbus and we still just have a church operating out of a defunct car dealership.

I also heard that the Neon Pig in Tupelo was expanding to Oxford (already up and running) and Columbus. No mention of Starkville.

Does anyone have any updates on the Holiday Inn at The Mill that is supposed to have an Azlin's Steakhouse in it?

Pinelake Church is what you're talking about in the car dealership. Hard to beat Chip Henderson (MSU alum) as far as a preacher goes. I go to the one in Gluckstadt & have visited the one in Stark when in town. It's packed out wall to wall for both services.

I don't know about a Holiday Inn at the Mill but I know the Courtyard Marriott there is open. Not sure the ETA on the Steakhouse.

starkvegasdawg
06-23-2016, 10:08 AM
It just pisses me off that Columbus gets all these places and Starkville gets a frigging Denny's. And what has to be one of the worst Denny's in the history of Denny's. I refuse to set foot in the one here again. I ate there 4 times. Average wait time to get food was usually 30-45 minutes and has been over an hour. The last time I went there my wife's chicken was still raw and cold on the inside and there was something unidentifiable in her tea. I've noticed when I drive by there now I usually see maybe 2-3 cars there during peak meal times. I seriously doubt they will be open much longer.

Taog Redloh
06-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Starkville needs population. If people are there with the money to spend, the restaurants will come with it. This isn't rocket science. Instead of wondering how to get restaurants in here, we need to be worrying about how to attract big ass companies like Yokohama or whatever. Or to get more people to the Air Force Base. And.....we need more development between Starkville and Columbus as to make it one big metro area, along with West Point.

Mjoelner34
06-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Starkville needs population. If people are there with the money to spend, the restaurants will come with it. This isn't rocket science. Instead of wondering how to get restaurants in here, we need to be worrying about how to attract big ass companies like Yokohama or whatever. Or to get more people to the Air Force Base. And.....we need more development between Starkville and Columbus as to make it one big metro area, along with West Point.

We have 4 nice industries out at GTR now and most of the people that work at those places who were not already Golden Triangle residents move to the Caledonia/Columbus area. I know this discussion was had on here last week or a couple of weeks ago but if you ask them why move there instead of Starkville, 9 out of 10 will tell you 'schools' and/or 'real estate prices'.

Taog Redloh
06-23-2016, 10:26 AM
We have 4 nice industries out at GTR now and most of the people that work at those places who were not already Golden Triangle residents move to the Caledonia/Columbus area. I know this discussion was had on here last week or a couple of weeks ago but if you ask them why move there instead of Starkville, 9 out of 10 will tell you 'schools' and/or 'real estate prices'.

That's fine by me. Just move to the general area and I'm good. Lot of room for growth at GTR, I hope it happens.

Starkville does seem to have a catch-22 going on. High real estate prices but without the corresponding benefits of that.

Johnson85
06-23-2016, 10:29 AM

Starkville definitely needs some more local places, but some of this is still perception that stems from not all of the places being close together. When I was in school, Oxford basically had City Grocery that was good, AJAX which was good, then a lot of restaurants that weren't solid but nothing special (Old Venice, Pearl Street Pasta, Downtown Grille, etc.), and they actually didn't have good dive college places (probably Abners, handy andy's, and the pizza place I can't remember the name of were closest). Starkville easily could have replicated their restaurants except they didn't have anything particularly high end (Veranda was probably the best, nicer restaurant), and it didn't have a bunch of moderate to high priced restaurants that were mediocre (instead Starkville had chains like Ruby Tuesday's), and Starkville had better dive restaurants (Stromboli's, Cotton District Deli, Lil Dewey's/Petty's, etc). Basically the only advantage Oxford had was having a really nice restaurant, and some more expensive restaurants with not so good food. Part of this was because they had more people willing to blow money, but part of it was that they did a good job of not supporting chain restaurants, so there wasn't as much competition to local places. I think Chile's didn't come there until sometime in the mid early 2000's and that was there first "fast casual" chain or whatever they're called.

Starkville is still not going to support a lot of high end places unless they are really good, but I think Starkville could definitely support some more local places in the moderate price range. It's just made more difficult because a lot of the crappy chains are going to draw some business and I assume they still have a lot of competition from dirt cheap but good food.

ETA: Another advantage I think Oxford has had is that they have had several long standing restaurants in prime locations. I'm not sure if they own the buildings or if their landlord has just been extremely reasonable about not trying to jack up rents on them to match their popularity. There are plenty of new places that pop up and disappear presumably in part because of high rents, but they at least have some continuity. I'm not sure Starkville is ever going to have that in the Cotton district.

Taog Redloh
06-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Starkville needs a Bonefish Grill type of seafood place. Except local.

A sit-down dinner type of place is hard to come by in a small town. Unless it's an extremely specific niche.

MadisonDawg
06-23-2016, 10:52 AM
I forgot about 2 brothers. Their smoked wings are outstanding. It's certainly not your typical bbq joint though.
Tried to go there yesterday actually, but they aren't open for lunch, or are only open for lunch certain days.

Thursday-Sunday, at least that is what it will be until august when students are back.

BeastMan
06-23-2016, 11:58 AM
I mean margins on each meal are small. When it's all said and done, almost all restaurants end up with small margins (<3%), but usually the margin they make on each meal goes up with the price of the average ticket so that more expensive, sit down restaurants can get by with doing lower volume. The Bonefish on the coast was in a good location and used to do a lot of volume with it being normal to see crowds waiting outside. Maybe their business dried up as more restaurants came in after Katrina, but Bonefish shut down a lot of restaurants at once (of which the Coast was one), which makes me think that their margins are smaller than other equivalent chains, as all the ones I've seen stay busy.

I'm pretty well versed on the restaurant bizz. Sure higher check average places might make more per plate but they also have higher costs that make it almost even out so they need to do volume more than anyone. Sure a bonefish might make a little more per check but they also have a 2.5+ million dollar building to pay for while Little Duey doesn't. I'll give you one more example. The tables and chairs at a bonefish place are outrageous expensive and the expectation to keep them tip top is higher (no cracks in the seat etc...). Little Dueys tables and chairs are still way more than you think but it's a fourth the cost and they can be more lax and reupholstery and whatnot. Don't even get me started on upkeep on kitchen equipment... What most people that just eat in restaurants don't understand is the price you pay for your meal isn't just the food cost marked up. It's the labor to prep and cook your food. It's the server that brings it to you. It's a fuel surcharge on your delivery. It's the lights you sit under. It's the water bill. It's the building and it's upkeep etc...I say all that to say that the margin a mid to high end chain isn't that much different than a small joint. There is a variance between a buffet and Shapley's but that's apples to oranges.

BrunswickDawg
06-23-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty well versed on the restaurant bizz. Sure higher check average places might make more per plate but they also have higher costs that make it almost even out so they need to do volume more than anyone. Sure a bonefish might make a little more per check but they also have a 2.5+ million dollar building to pay for while Little Duey doesn't. I'll give you one more example. The tables and chairs at a bonefish place are outrageous expensive and the expectation to keep them tip top is higher (no cracks in the seat etc...). Little Dueys tables and chairs are still way more than you think but it's a fourth the cost and they can be more lax and reupholstery and whatnot. Don't even get me started on upkeep on kitchen equipment... What most people that just eat in restaurants don't understand is the price you pay for your meal isn't just the food cost marked up. It's the labor to prep and cook your food. It's the server that brings it to you. It's a fuel surcharge on your delivery. It's the lights you sit under. It's the water bill. It's the building and it's upkeep etc...I say all that to say that the margin a mid to high end chain isn't that much different than a small joint. There is a variance between a buffet and Shapley's but that's apples to oranges.

And that concludes this week's episode of "Beastman's Kitchen Impossible"....

In all seriousness - this is spot on. I've worked in restaurants enough and have a few friends who own them. That is enough to scare me away from ever wanting to own one.

TimberBeast
06-23-2016, 12:43 PM

So what you are saying, is that raising the minimum wage of all employees at restaurants would cause no problems to their finances, and actually be a boom to the economy everywhere? Sounds like a no brainer**************

Bothrops
06-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Is there a weekly publication that keeps one up to date on all the restaurant revolving door shit that goes on in Vegas? I can't keep up with what's there, what's gone, and what's about to be gone. Jesus Christ, man!

HereComesTheSpiral
06-23-2016, 04:41 PM
It just pisses me off that Columbus gets all these places and Starkville gets a frigging Denny's. And what has to be one of the worst Denny's in the history of Denny's. I refuse to set foot in the one here again. I ate there 4 times. Average wait time to get food was usually 30-45 minutes and has been over an hour. The last time I went there my wife's chicken was still raw and cold on the inside and there was something unidentifiable in her tea. I've noticed when I drive by there now I usually see maybe 2-3 cars there during peak meal times. I seriously doubt they will be open much longer.

Columbus is more accessible from 82 and has a larger middle and working class that can afford to go out due to industries and the Air Force base.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-23-2016, 08:12 PM

As mentioned the Courtyard Marriot is up and running. It has a Starbucks with very limited hours.

As far as I know Azlins will not be coming to The Mill. The Mill is currently advertising the availability of a restaurant pad so I'm guessing something fell through. But their sign is still up in the Chick Fil A Plaza so who knows. I assume the developer will be pretty picky about what goes there as I think they want to cater to the businesspeople and conference attendees that frequent The Mill.

Bothrops
06-23-2016, 09:12 PM
I'm a little surprised nothing has been announced to go in at the Mill by now. Seems like there's a lot of apprehension. Looks like it would be advantageous to have something up and running by the time football season and fall semester started.

Steakonastick
06-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Wasn't azlins supposed to be the restaurant in the holiday inn that fell through?

BeardoMSU
06-23-2016, 11:14 PM
I'm a little surprised nothing has been announced to go in at the Mill by now. Seems like there's a lot of apprehension. Looks like it would be advantageous to have something up and running by the time football season and fall semester started.

It doesn't help the roads surrounding that place are like what you would expect to find in Berlin circa 1945....I about blew out a tire driving on that road connecting to the Jimmy Johns strip today. The place just feels empty too, even though there is a hotel there.

ScottH
06-23-2016, 11:58 PM
And what has to be one of the worst Denny's in the history of Denny's.

And that is a title that is hard to achieve.

louisvilledawg
06-24-2016, 09:12 AM
And that is a title that is hard to achieve.

"You ever eaten at a Denny's? Damn place near made me sick. All the waitresses look like they got hit in the back of their legs with a sack of nickels - Rodney Carrington" - Louisvilledawg

starkvegasdawg
06-24-2016, 09:16 AM
I knew they were in trouble from the start. We went opening night and after what took forever with the slow service we went to pay. The cashier could not get the scanner to read my card. She swiped and swiped and swiped. She called her manager over to see what was wrong and he saw after another attempt she was holding my card upside down so the magetic strip was in her hand instead of going through the reader. He told her to flip the card and try it again. Which she does...the wrong direction. So the card is still upside down just now facing the opposite direction. I realized then if they hadn't taught their workers how to scan a card then things could only go downhill from there.

Taog Redloh
06-24-2016, 10:50 AM
It doesn't help the roads surrounding that place are like what you would expect to find in Berlin circa 1945....I about blew out a tire driving on that road connecting to the Jimmy Johns strip today. The place just feels empty too, even though there is a hotel there.
Not even a road is it? I went over it a few months ago, I think it's just a dirt path more than anything.

BeardoMSU
06-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Not even a road is it? I went over it a few months ago, I think it's just a dirt path more than anything.

Yeah, pretty much.

ScottH
06-24-2016, 11:30 AM

I was told there is a dispute over the responsibility to repair/maintain.

BeardoMSU
06-24-2016, 11:33 AM
I was told there is a dispute over the responsibility to repair/maintain.

Wow, but not surprising.

Let's build this beautiful new development, but ruin the peripheral aesthetics by bickering over fixing 300' of a shit road....sounds like Starkville.

mstatefan91
06-24-2016, 05:07 PM
I ate there one time in the 6 years that I have lived in Starkville. I was not impressed. The service was meh. The food was cold. The price was too high for what I got.

I'll give Moe's BBQ a shot a few weeks after it's opened.

Bothrops
06-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Moe's looks like it will be a popular place, with good food.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2016, 12:52 PM
What happened to Rosie Baby's? I loved that place!

HSVDawg
06-25-2016, 01:00 PM
What happened to Rosie Baby's? I loved that place!

Oh dear god. I don't know if there is enough bandwidth capability on all the major MSU message boards combined to allow a proper discussion of how bad that place sucks.

HSVDawg
06-25-2016, 01:10 PM
So what you are saying, is that raising the minimum wage of all employees at restaurants would cause no problems to their finances, and actually be a boom to the economy everywhere? Sounds like a no brainer**************

Actually, raising the minimum wage would have minimal effect on actual sit down restaurants where the majority of staff work for tips and therefore are not subject to the minimum wage laws. Their only guaranteed income will still be the $2.13 per hour or whatever it is now. The places that where the owners would really hurt would be the counter order places like your McAllister's, Little Dooey's, and soon to be Moe's BBQ. But your point is well taken.

BeardoMSU
06-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Oh dear god. I don't know if there is enough bandwidth capability on all the major MSU message boards combined to allow a proper discussion of how bad that place sucks.

That place has so much potential, but they just don't have a clue on how to run a restaurant.

starkvegasdawg
06-25-2016, 01:21 PM
That place has so much potential, but they just don't have a clue on how to run a restaurant.

Went to school here and have now lived here almost 9 years and have never stepped foot there. Of course, I've never eaten Petty's either, although I plan to change that soon.

HSVDawg
06-25-2016, 03:14 PM

There is a legitimate possibility that it is a front for money laundering. There is never anyone there. But it has been open for over two decades now under the same ownership.

sandwolf
06-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Of course, I've never eaten Petty's either, although I plan to change that soon.

Yea, you need to fix that with the quickness. Petty's is top notch.

BeardoMSU
06-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Went to school here and have now lived here almost 9 years and have never stepped foot there. Of course, I've never eaten Petty's either, although I plan to change that soon.

We only go during crawfish season generally. It's good when they are fresh and piping hot, duh I know, but I always have to tell the server that's what we want or they bring us the dregs by default.

BeardoMSU
06-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Yea, you need to fix that with the quickness. Petty's is top notch.

Agreed, I've always liked Pettys. My favorite bbq though was Three Little Pigs. Their food was amazing, but their service moved at a snail's pace...another example of someone who didn't know how to run a restaurant.

starkvegasdawg
06-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Agreed, I've always liked Pettys. My favorite bbq though was Three Little Pigs. Their food was amazing, but their service moved at a snail's pace...another example of someone who didn't know how to run a restaurant.
Was never crazy about three little pigs. I loved me some grumpy's before they went straight to hell. Last time I was there my sandwich was on load bread, baked beans were cold, and my order of onion rings was 3 tings.

Gordon Gekko
06-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Is Jack Salmons still around? Those catfish nuggets were legit!

Mjoelner34
06-25-2016, 10:00 PM

Back when it was open the first time a couple of us went there for dinner one night and it took 45 minutes to get our drinks after waiting for 15 minutes just for somebody to take our drink order. By this time we were hard-headed and decided to time the food. The food took 90 minutes from the time we ordered until it was on our table with no sign of the waiter during this time to refill drinks. That's the only time I ever got the ass with somebody in a restaurant. I paid in cash, asked for change and said "Here's your penny." walked out and have never and will never be back.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-26-2016, 01:24 AM
smh