9) Missouri 29 / 2.42 per game
10) LSU 32 / 2.46 per game
11) Ole Miss 34 / 2.63 per game
12) South Carolina 13 / 2.92 per game
13) Florida 39 / 3.0 per game
14) Auburn 37 / 3.08 per game

FlabLoser
08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Tyler holds the ball too long. Or MSU fans aren't used to seeing a QB have time to throw.

Coach34
08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
that can't be right- I keep getting told all the time our OT's suck

mic
08-22-2013, 11:11 AM
That number should be even lower this year..

Goat Holder
08-22-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm fired up to see what this OL can accomplish over this season and next. These are going to be two great years to be an MSU football fan.

2013: Clausell (RJr.), Jackson (RSr.), Day (RJr.), Malone (RSo.), Siddoway (Sr.)
2014: Clausell (RSr.), Beckwith (RSr.), Day (RSr.), Malone (RJr.), Robinson (RSr.)

Wow. Add the two JUCOs in as depth next year (or possibly starters). Or any other underclassmen who decide they want to step up. We WILL control the ball.

smootness
08-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Anyone who thinks Russell holds the ball too long either has unreal expectations or hasn't watched a CFB game that didn't include State in the last 25 years.

We are so dumb sometimes. We essentially have never had a true passing threat in our history, and when we finally get one, he better be Tom Freakin' Brady or else we have no use for him.

maroonmania
08-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Anyone who thinks Russell holds the ball too long either has unreal expectations or hasn't watched a CFB game that didn't include State in the last 25 years.

We are so dumb sometimes. We essentially have never had a true passing threat in our history, and when we finally get one, he better be Tom Freakin' Brady or else we have no use for him.

The reason it SEEMED like he often held the ball too long is because we never ran many quick hitting plays. I hardly remember an over the middle slant or curl pattern, and we also rarely threw a screen pass or a deep fly pattern for that matter. Seemed like every pass play was a slow developing 15-25 yard route that had Russell finally releasing the ball when pressure was starting to breathe down his neck. Hopefully we will mix it up more this year. If you think about it, other than Bumphis, all we had last year was a potload of possession receivers. And Bumphis was no gamebreaker himself.

smootness
08-22-2013, 11:53 AM
We didn't have a ton of speed, and we also didn't have size. Our best two WRs the past couple of years were Clark and Bumphis, both under 6'0"; and while both were not slow, they weren't the burners that you usually think of for guys that size. And then Chris Smith was dependable.

I'm not sure how much we've increased the speed of our WR corp, but we have certainly increased the size, and they should be able to get better separation. Let's hope, at least.

Russell deserves a ton of credit for having the success he did with the kind of tight windows he constantly had to fit the ball into.

mic
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
WR have a HUGE role in how long a QB holds on the ball. Our guys haven't had a solid WR cocah since they have been here. Gonzo will change that..

ckDOG
08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Interesting since the Top 2 teams definitely didn't have very athletic QBs.

Anyhow, I don't necessarily agree that this proves Tyler doesn't hold on to the ball too long. It could just as well prove that he's very good at getting rid of the ball after protection has broken down. I'm not arguing one way or the other, but sacks per game doesn't prove that he picks out WRs quickly. My only gripe last year was some of the play designs we had when we went 5 wide. If you go 5 wide, you gotta have some quick routes with only 5 guys blocking for the QB - or you better have a mobile QB that can extend the play. We had some plays last year that seemed like they were designed to take a bit to develop with minimum pass protection. I never understood that...

codeDawg
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Interesting since the Top 2 teams definitely didn't have very athletic QBs.

Anyhow, I don't necessarily agree that this proves Tyler doesn't hold on to the ball too long. It could just as well prove that he's very good at getting rid of the ball after protection has broken down. I'm not arguing one way or the other, but sacks per game doesn't prove that he picks out WRs quickly. My only gripe last year was some of the play designs we had when we went 5 wide. If you go 5 wide, you gotta have some quick routes with only 5 guys blocking for the QB - or you better have a mobile QB that can extend the play. We had some plays last year that seemed like they were designed to take a bit to develop with minimum pass protection. I never understood that...

We didn't do anything quickly last year. Every play took too long to develop. The reason he held on to the ball too long is because our WR couldn't separate and Tyler does not check down. I heard a RB making comments about making investments in check downs a couple of weeks ago, so it sounds like that is being coached.

Homedawg
08-22-2013, 02:36 PM
that can't be right- I keep getting told all the time our OT's suck

This^^ and to add, as someone else mentioned TR holds the ball. Too long!

Homedawg
08-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Yes he does. When they have 6 player rushing and we have 5 blocking and he doesn't throw it HOT- that's holding it to long! Period.

DawgInMemphis
08-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Yes he does. When they have 6 player rushing and we have 5 blocking and he doesn't throw it HOT- that's holding it to long! Period.

Hot route! Hot route! Red Seven Red Seven Red Seven! Hot Route!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZYNwQzE-f0