PDA

View Full Version : New 2017 Football Commit

Ifyouonlyknew
06-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Kaleb Oliver, Safety/OLB from Oakland, TN. Had offers from MSU, South Carolina, Vandy, Louisville, among others.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kaleb-Oliver-81340

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2873413/highlights/293141399

Tripp McNeely
06-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Kaleb Oliver, Safety/OLB from Oakland, TN. Had offers from MSU, South Carolina, Vandy, Louisville, among others.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kaleb-Oliver-81340

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2873413/highlights/293141399

Explain this one to me with all of the safeties and OLBs that we still have on the board.

Coach34
06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Another diamond

Ifyouonlyknew
06-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Explain this one to me with all of the safeties and OLBs that we still have on the board.

We'd still take Avery, Stewart, etc at Safety. At OLB not Viper we really don't have a lot of guys on the board. Of course Willie will have a spot to the end if he decides to take it, then guys like DQ Thomas & Shanon Reid & that's pretty much it.

Todd4State
We're going to make all of our safeties linebackers, all our linebackers d-linemen, and all our d-linemen o-linemen since Hevesy can't recruit.

mic
Because Sirmon likes the kid.. I'm sold...

msstate7
Another diamond

2 other sec offers and Louisville... not super impressive, but it's not like it was us or uab

HoopsDawg
06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Because Sirmon likes the kid.. I'm sold...

shocking.

jumbo
06-22-2016, 11:28 AM
We'd still take Avery, Stewart, etc at Safety. At OLB not Viper we really don't have a lot of guys on the board. Of course Willie will have a spot to the end if he decides to take it, then guys like DQ Thomas & Shanon Reid & that's pretty much it.

Cool, but will they still take us is the question

Todd4State
06-22-2016, 11:46 AM
2 other sec offers and Louisville... not super impressive, but it's not like it was us or uab

Louisville offers everyone.

djaymsu5
06-22-2016, 11:50 AM
I wish Stewart would hurry up and commit. I know we are his leader. If we wait until LSU offers him that could be a game changer. Need to get him in the boat

Taog Redloh
06-22-2016, 11:51 AM

Good coaches take the best athletes they can. Worry about their positions once they get to campus.

mic
06-22-2016, 11:53 AM
shocking.

You need to get all facts straight...
I have ripped our staff the last few years.. Even coined the phrase country club boys..
So yeah any player that Sirmon, TBuck , Marcus, likes or recruits I will be all in...

MSUDawg99
06-22-2016, 11:58 AM
I have ripped our staff the last few years.. Even coined the phrase country club boys..
So yeah any player that Sirmon, TBuck , Marcus, likes or recruits I will be all in...

Yeah I'm baffled by Hoops claim that you see everything through maroon glasses. That actually shocked me to read in the other thread. I've never once thought that. In fact, the opposite at times.

Irondawg
06-22-2016, 12:04 PM
I was surprised he was a take before Big Dawg but at some point we either trust the coaches or we don't.

The question we always have when we take guys that seem to be lower on the board is if we think we are going to either miss higher guys or can't find other higher guys. Or is it a case where the coaches board looks different then we think.

You just never know

Mjoelner34
06-22-2016, 12:06 PM
We're going to make all of our safeties linebackers, all our linebackers d-linemen, and all our d-linemen o-linemen since Hevesy can't recruit.

SHHHH! You're giving away our strategy!

Dawg61
06-22-2016, 01:15 PM
I like tall DBs. Nice get

Bothrops
06-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Stewart recently got a Bama offer. My feeling is Avery is OM bound.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2016, 03:20 PM
My feeling is Avery is OM bound.

I'm trying to decide how to react to this if this turns out to be true.

On one hand, I understand that if Ole Miss is cheating, there is little our staff can do without cheating.

However, if they are going recruit like doodoo & fill this team entirely of three star talent, then what are we paying them to do? I'm trying my best to not lash out in anger at this coaching staff, but it's getting difficult. While everyone is claiming that Ole Miss is cheating & will go on probation, MSU's talent level is slowly bleeding to death & is falling behind in competing for Atlanta.

Again, I realize NSD is in February, but I said the same thing last year. Now we've lost another Starkville kid, Starkville High School players aren't attending MSU's camp, & we still don't attract top notch out of state talent. At what point are well allowed to become furious?

I get that Mullen has won a ton of games the last few years, but he has no chance of winning a championship at this rate. N.O.N.E.

So.... does our football program exist to go to the Belk Bowl & get blown out in the Orange Bowl, or does it exist to compete at the highest level & for championships? I get that there has to be compromise there because of our history & resources, but I think your lying if you said you aren't extremely concerned about the long term future of this program on 6/22/16. If Ole Miss gets destroyed by the NCAA, then maybe things change, but, if they don't, WE BE 17ed

So, IFYOK, C34, EDR, how should we be looking at our program right now? What is the mature, level-headed opinion right now?

I'm struggling to see the plan here & the road map for this program to grow. Since being #1 we've recruited much worse. How does that happen?

Tripp McNeely
06-22-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm struggling to see the plan here & the road map for this program to grow. Since being #1 we've recruited much worse. How does that happen?

How could you possibly look at the 11' - 13' classes, which got us that #1 ranking, and think they were even close to being as good...much less better than the "Since being #1" 14' - 17' (so far) classes?? I'm speechless.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2016, 03:42 PM
How could you possibly look at the 11' - 13' classes, which got us that #1 ranking, and think they were even close to being as good...much less better than the "Since being #1" 14' - 17' (so far) classes?? I'm speechless.

Don't be speechless. I'm trying to figure out how to feel about all this. Just present your case that we are moving in the right direction & move on. No need for an argument

Bothrops
06-22-2016, 03:45 PM
I'm trying to decide how to react to this if this turns out to be true.

On one hand, I understand that if Ole Miss is cheating, there is little our staff can do without cheating.

However, if they are going recruit like doodoo & fill this team entirely of three star talent, then what are we paying them to do? I'm trying my best to not lash out in anger at this coaching staff, but it's getting difficult. While everyone is claiming that Ole Miss is cheating & will go on probation, MSU's talent level is slowly bleeding to death & is falling behind in competing for Atlanta.

Again, I realize NSD is in February, but I said the same thing last year. Now we've lost another Starkville kid, Starkville High School players aren't attending MSU's camp, & we still don't attract top notch out of state talent. At what point are well allowed to become furious?

I get that Mullen has won a ton of games the last few years, but he has no chance of winning a championship at this rate. N.O.N.E.

So.... does our football program exist to go to the Belk Bowl & get blown out in the Orange Bowl, or does it exist to compete at the highest level & for championships? I get that there has to be compromise there because of our history & resources, but I think your lying if you said you aren't extremely concerned about the long term future of this program on 6/22/16. If Ole Miss gets destroyed by the NCAA, then maybe things change, but, if they don't, WE BE 17ed

So, IFYOK, C34, EDR, how should we be looking at our program right now? What is the mature, level-headed opinion right now?

I think Russell and Oliver are very solid gets and both are a bit underrated. But I agree with you feel for things concerning our approach to recruiting.

msstate7
06-22-2016, 03:56 PM
I bet there were a bunch of you that were irate when we took a commitment from Chris jones.

maroonmania
06-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Am I the only one bothered by his 247 commitment picture featuring him doing the landshark pose? They couldn't find a different picture than that?

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2016, 04:09 PM
I bet there were a bunch of you that were irate when we took a commitment from Chris jones.

What is that supposed to mean?

Are you saying these guys are Chris Jones?

If so, you realize that we need about 3-5 Chris Joneses to have chance in this division.

smootness
06-22-2016, 04:12 PM
I was surprised he was a take before Big Dawg but at some point we either trust the coaches or we don't.

The question we always have when we take guys that seem to be lower on the board is if we think we are going to either miss higher guys or can't find other higher guys. Or is it a case where the coaches board looks different then we think.

You just never know

I would bank on our coaches' board being different than we think. As was mentioned previously in this thread, Chris Jones was a guy that prompted a, 'Why are we taking him now?!' response from fans when he committed in the summer. Then everyone else gradually figured out that our coaches just knew something no one else did.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2016, 04:15 PM
I would bank on our coaches' board being different than we think. As was mentioned previously in this thread, Chris Jones was a guy that prompted a, 'Why are we taking him now?!' response from fans when he committed in the summer. Then everyone else gradually figured out that our coaches just knew something no one else did.

I was hoping the same with all the offensive linemen we've recruited over the past 4 years.

msstate7
06-22-2016, 04:18 PM
What is that supposed to mean?

Are you saying these guys are Chris Jones?

If so, you realize that we need about 3-5 Chris Joneses to have chance in this division.

I'm not saying Oliver is Chris jones. I'm just saying that Chris was less sought after than Oliver, but our staff wasn't wrong... I think our staff has proven to be pretty good at talent evaluation.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm not saying Oliver is Chris jones. I'm just saying that Chris was less sought after than Oliver, but our staff wasn't wrong... I think our staff has proven to be pretty good at talent evaluation.

I agree they are good at talent evaluation, except for Hevesy (He sucks at it), but you can't win big in this league on talent evaluation alone. You must win big recruiting battles for known commodities.

For teams willing to go all in to compete, talent evaluation has become secondary due to the recruiting services. When there are 3+ websites that all make a player a 4 or 5 star, he's probably pretty good & a coach with no evaluation ability knows to offer that player.

Similar to the Oakland As, finding inefficiencies in the market can only take you so far. Sure, you can collect some under the radar talent that allows you to remain competitive, but you just will never have enough of it to win big.

Our coaching staff evaluates & coaches well enough that we should win 7-8 games a year based on having a solid roster & being well coached, but we simply don't have anywhere near the horses to compete on year to year basis with the big boys. Evaluating better won't change that.

HoopsDawg
06-22-2016, 05:16 PM

My bad dude. I got you and Tripp confused.

Tripp McNeely
06-22-2016, 05:16 PM
I agree they are good at talent evaluation, except for Hevesy (He sucks at it), but you can't win big in this league on talent evaluation alone. You must win big recruiting battles for known commodities.

For teams willing to go all in to compete, talent evaluation has become secondary due to the recruiting services. When there are 3+ websites that all make a player a 4 or 5 star, he's probably pretty good & a coach with no evaluation ability knows to offer that player.

Similar to the Oakland As, finding inefficiencies in the market can only take you so far. Sure, you can collect some under the radar talent that allows you to remain competitive, but you just will never have enough of it to win big.

Our coaching staff evaluates & coaches well enough that we should win 7-8 games a year based on having a solid roster & being well coached, but we simply don't have anywhere near the horses to compete on year to year basis with the big boys. Evaluating better won't change that.

Hevesy was the one that discovered, offered and got a commit that unranked DT that just got drafted in the first round

Tripp McNeely
06-22-2016, 05:21 PM
My bad dude. I got you and Tripp confused.

Most wins in school history the past 2 years! The BIGGEST reason there are ANY questions about where this program is headed is because the school we compare ourselves the most to has been paying players and having success doing so. If you look back at the last 30 years and take the "average" om program state and compare it to where we are right now, Mullen would have a 95% approval rating. Our biggest problem is we compare ourselves to them all the time and don't compare where we are today to where we've historically been

Todd4State
06-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Most wins in school history the past 2 years! The BIGGEST reason there are ANY questions about where this program is headed is because the school we compare ourselves the most to has been paying players and having success doing so. If you look back at the last 30 years and take the "average" om program state and compare it to where we are right now, Mullen would have a 95% approval rating. Our biggest problem is we compare ourselves to them all the time and don't compare where we are today to where we've historically been

It's not who we are losing to as much as how. And the fact that Dan doesn't appear to be interested in changing anything and is content to let his boy hold us back.

If we lost to Ole Miss/Alabama/LSU by close scores and competed our ass off for 60 minutes rather than standing on the sideline looking like he just ate some gas station sushi I wouldn't be so critical or worried.

BankerDog
06-22-2016, 05:58 PM
The scheme on defense is changing. More 4-2-5, 3-4 with hybrid OLB/S. This kid is a player.

For you star guys, you probably really hated when we took Dak, Chris Jones, Slay, Banks, Ryan Brown, DGray, De'Runnya, Brandon Bryant (who I believe has a chance to be a 1st Rounder), etc.

BTW, our top two QBs this year (Fitz, Tiano) beat out the 4* recruit (Staley).

JoseBrown
06-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Don't be speechless. I'm trying to figure out how to feel about all this. Just present your case that we are moving in the right direction & move on. No need for an argument

My maroon shades tell me we lost every defensive coach and replaced them. We have entered into D1 by hiring many more positions we previously didn't have with some real good folks. We recruit pretty well at offensive positions, except one group, with largely the same staff we have now. We have some defensive coaches now that should improve recruiting successes as relationships improve. Offensively, we should keep doing well, save one group...hope that one improves.

The team we compare ourselves with have coaches that have been together, continued to improve relationships with high school staffs and booster Network... We have been able to win as many and more as them in their best years. With impending doom headed their way, they should not be able, at some point soon, to sustain their high level of recruiting. We should be improving As a result of all those factors as time goes on...

As our off-season started out with one shit-burger after another, I firmly believe DM has learned some things the hard way and refocused on winning big here as his best way out of here..or happiness here... Whatever, that's the way I've decided to look at it, and better things for us in the future..

On the field, if we can start landing some high level O-lineman and/or begin to over perform as an O-line we should see quick results. If not, we should still maintain until we get better O-line performance. To me, that is where our success will be determined, or lack thereof. I think we are headed in the right direction, albeit slower than we desire, but still b/c of those reasons I think we are headed in the right direction...

Holy 17, sorry for the length. Think the sun got to me... Go Dawgs!

JoseBrown
06-22-2016, 06:05 PM
BTW, our top two QBs this year (Fitz, Tiano) beat out the 4* recruit (Staley).

Hell yeah! I like that line... Just looks good to me..

Bdawg
06-22-2016, 09:44 PM
My maroon shades tell me we lost every defensive coach and replaced them. We have entered into D1 by hiring many more positions we previously didn't have with some real good folks. We recruit pretty well at offensive positions, except one group, with largely the same staff we have now. We have some defensive coaches now that should improve recruiting successes as relationships improve. Offensively, we should keep doing well, save one group...hope that one improves.

The team we compare ourselves with have coaches that have been together, continued to improve relationships with high school staffs and booster Network... We have been able to win as many and more as them in their best years. With impending doom headed their way, they should not be able, at some point soon, to sustain their high level of recruiting. We should be improving As a result of all those factors as time goes on...

As our off-season started out with one shit-burger after another, I firmly believe DM has learned some things the hard way and refocused on winning big here as his best way out of here..or happiness here... Whatever, that's the way I've decided to look at it, and better things for us in the future..

On the field, if we can start landing some high level O-lineman and/or begin to over perform as an O-line we should see quick results. If not, we should still maintain until we get better O-line performance. To me, that is where our success will be determined, or lack thereof. I think we are headed in the right direction, albeit slower than we desire, but still b/c of those reasons I think we are headed in the right direction...

Holy 17, sorry for the length. Think the sun got to me... Go Dawgs!

Great post. My thoughts pretty much to a T. I like all the new position created and we really need to keep this defensive staff together for at least 3 years and then longer(if they prove to be good). Only major problems on offense is o-line production(think better o-line will take care of RB position). Improve that and we should take a nice step forward. This is also assuming our new defensive staff does an above job.

Big4Dawg
06-23-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm okay with these 3* because it's early in the year. If this was December and late offers, that is where I would be considered.

msbulldog
06-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Remember guys that are 3 stars now can be higher when the services re-evaluate. They will also go higher with the more offers they receive, happens every year.

HancockCountyDog
06-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Hevesy was the one that discovered, offered and got a commit that unranked DT that just got drafted in the first round

I can promise you that our coaches would take at least two of the classes from 11-13 as opposed to the one we just signed.

Our 2015 class was good, 2014 was ok and last year was a Simmons away from being a train wreck.

HancockCountyDog
06-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Remember guys that are 3 stars now can be higher when the services re-evaluate. They will also go higher with the more offers they receive, happens every year.

They certainly can't go down. All the recruiting sites have basically erased two stars, for guys that sign with SEC schools.

mic
06-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Page 3 and not even sure anyone has acknowledged this yet...
Welcome to the Family KO..