PDA

View Full Version : Mullen has adapted the offense several times.

Bodaski
06-21-2016, 02:50 PM
I'm not nearly as concerned about the QB position as Bonner proclaims. One thing DM has done since he's been here is made changes to the offense to help the QB. Under Tyson Lee we had to be run-oriented to hope to have any success at all. We came close to winning 6 with Lee and he was nowhere close to being a sec QB. With Relf, we were able to throw a little, but most of our success was running Relf and screens to Perkins and Going to Bump. With Dak we were able to throw and run with Josh, bear and Fred Ross. We will adapt and do what the next guy can do and give him and the team the best chance to win. How many times did you see screens and check down plays like Relf and Perkins use to run the past 2 years?

Jack Lambert
06-21-2016, 02:52 PM
I think one of our current QB will end up being one of the best in the SEC.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-21-2016, 02:57 PM
I am not concerned about the QB play at all. Mullen is one of the best at QB development in the country. I am worried about the o-line which will make every aspect of the offense look bad. Dak was seasoned enough to overcome that against teams that did not have elite talent. Not sure if a first year starter can.

MSUDawg99
06-21-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm not nearly as concerned about the QB position as Bonner proclaims. One thing DM has done since he's been here is made changes to the offense to help the QB. Under Tyson Lee we had to be run-oriented to hope to have any success at all. We came close to winning 6 with Lee and he was nowhere close to being a sec QB. With Relf, we were able to throw a little, but most of our success was running Relf and screens to Perkins and Going to Bump. With Dak we were able to throw and run with Josh, bear and Fred Ross. We will adapt and do what the next guy can do and give him and the team the best chance to win. How many times did you see screens and check down plays like Relf and Perkins use to run the past 2 years?

Who?????? ***

LockeDawg
06-21-2016, 04:25 PM
I think one of our current QB will end up being one of the best in the SEC.

Dan's one of the best developers of QBs in the country and he's smart enough to know how to tailor his offensive schemes and playcalling to his QBs strengths.

Political Hack
06-21-2016, 04:31 PM
As the other thread pointed out, QB will iron itself out. OL is the more pressing concern

HSVDawg
06-21-2016, 04:44 PM
As the other thread pointed out, QB will iron itself out. OL is the more pressing concern

Yep. Pretty much every other position on the field is a non-issue in comparison.

Joe Schmedlap
06-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Dan's one of the best developers of QBs in the country and he's smart enough to know how to tailor his offensive schemes and playcalling to his QBs strengths.

So, he's very very smart, yet unable or unwilling to see that his and our football program is being severely handicapped by playing a Gulf South Conference level offensive line. And it's not like this hasn't been a problem for several consecutive seasons. Hmmm.

War Machine Dawg
06-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Yep. Pretty much every other position on the field is a non-issue in comparison.

Yep. How many potentially good QBs have we wasted behind really shitty OLs? Fant and Omarr immediately come to mind. If the OL can't block, nothing else will matter much. But you can see the media already getting their narrative in place. When we struggle this season, it'll be the QBs fault, regardless of the truth. The sports media is getting as bad and predictable as the political media.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-21-2016, 06:30 PM
So, he's very very smart, yet unable or unwilling to see that his and our football program is being severely handicapped by playing a Gulf South Conference level offensive line.

Don't blame me. I was on this board saying what kind of a shitbird we had in Hevesey in 2013. Liability on the recruiting trail. Failed to deliver more times than not on the developmental side.

ETA: he is the only assistant I've been critical of.

Todd4State
06-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Yep. How many potentially good QBs have we wasted behind really shitty OLs? Fant and Omarr immediately come to mind. If the OL can't block, nothing else will matter much. But you can see the media already getting their narrative in place. When we struggle this season, it'll be the QBs fault, regardless of the truth. The sports media is getting as bad and predictable as the political media.

I really think part of the problem with the media is the media doesn't know as much about sports as they think they do. Which is probably why random bloggers have better content often times than the media.

fishwater99
06-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Not sure what you have been watching.
His adaptation is minimal at best, even his play-calling hasn't changed much.
Just look at what we did with Tyler Russell as our QB. He was a pro-style QB that Mullen tried to run the spread with.
Dan has yet to add a FB so we can run the ball better with our inadequate OL.

JETDAWG
06-22-2016, 09:36 AM
DM is fine... Heavesy should be the one that we loose sleep over, his recruiting as of late, missing on big time in state guys has always worried me. Our QB play will pan out, the early games in the season will help to get our man some confidence, and Mullen will find who he can trust under center. There is no question the talent is there, and the greatest developer of QB's in the nation working with them Fitz could end up being Dak.0

Irondawg
06-22-2016, 09:50 AM
This year I think he has 3 qbs that are close enough that we are going to run them to death. Lots of read options and mostly short passes to Ross and Dear with a few deep passes to Gray. I think will use more two TE sets or a FB more as well to try and compensate for the weaker oline

archdog
06-22-2016, 09:54 AM

Look at Arkansas. If they had our Oline last year, they win 2 games. If we had their Oline, we may have won the entire thing.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-22-2016, 10:11 AM
I think will use more two TE sets or a FB more as well to try and compensate for the weaker oline

I wonder how we'll use Jordan Thomas...at 6'6" 275 playing tight end could put another big body on the line of scrimmage.

fishwater99
06-22-2016, 01:30 PM
This year I think he has 3 qbs that are close enough that we are going to run them to death. Lots of read options and mostly short passes to Ross and Dear with a few deep passes to Gray. I think will use more two TE sets or a FB more as well to try and compensate for the weaker oline

How many times has Mullen done this in the past? I hope you are right..

Pollodawg
06-22-2016, 01:42 PM
With the skill set we have at QB and hopefully RB, Mullen won't have to tweak the O much. We'll just run what he built us to run from the start.