PDA

View Full Version : So Athlon ranked Freeze higher then Mullen because of Freeze's national recruiting.

Jack Lambert
06-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Forget that they have been busted for cheating.

Reason2succeed
06-21-2016, 01:40 PM
They haven't been officially busted yet. They are about to be busted. Right now they just made "mistakes".

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-21-2016, 01:44 PM
CL says "Athlon names Freeze one of best in nation"...."Athlon names Mullen on of best in SEC"

SaintDawg
06-21-2016, 02:02 PM
CL says, CL says, CL says... Once the hammer falls on OM, Hugh Freeze will be the best in the nation at flipping burgers. Since SMU, I've never wished the death penalty on any school, but after this smoke and mirrors, spin-cycle bullshit, I'm having second thoughts. OM needs to be put in their place.

Coach34
06-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Dan Mullen has won 10 regular season games- Hugh Freezus has not

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Recruiting rankings are a pretty strong indicator of success.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-21-2016, 08:41 PM

They are for actual coaches who get the most out of the high rated recruits. Freeze , however is nothing more than a slick salesman. The Memphis game last year was a pretty good example of how bad of a coach he really is. If you can find that and watch the last 5 minutes of the 1st half, you'll see it. He helped condense all of his stupidity in that time frame. Not sure if putting his All-American DE in at running back and him getting injured was in that 5 minutes or not but that was the proverbial icing on the cake.

Coach34
06-21-2016, 09:03 PM

Good- Mullen and Freezus have won the same amount of games the last 2 years

SDDawg
06-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Good- Mullen and Freezus have won the same amount of games the last 2 years

So the real answer is that Freeze has underperformed with the talent he has, that's my takeaway.

Jack Lambert
06-21-2016, 10:17 PM
So the real answer is that Freeze has underperformed with the talent he has, that's my takeaway.

And cheated to get that talent.

Commercecomet24
06-21-2016, 10:18 PM

This is the correct answer!

maroonmania
06-22-2016, 08:58 AM

Well he hasn't underperformed against us unfortunately. Yes, Freeze is a total cheater, but as far as on the field results against us he has
3 blowout wins and one OT loss. And to be blount I'm pretty pissed about it. Even if we lose in Oxford this year Mullen better have our team ready to come out and play like they want the win more than the Bears do. If we get run off the field again then to say I will not be happy will be a bit of an understatement.

Coach34
06-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Well he hasn't underperformed against us unfortunately. Yes, Freeze is a total cheater, but as far as on the field results against us he has
3 blowout wins and one OT loss. And to be blount I'm pretty pissed about it. Even if we lose in Oxford this year Mullen better have our team ready to come out and play like they want the win more than the Bears do. If we get run off the field again then to say I will not be happy will be a bit of an understatement.

I think this will be Mullen's last year at State...just a hunch

Pollodawg
06-22-2016, 09:34 AM

Is this sort of like when he was packed and raring to go to Maryland.

scottycameron
06-22-2016, 09:50 AM

I'm not sure he's got anywhere to go. Can't think of anywhere opening up (I know that is always fluid, year hasn't even started yet).

What you thinking Coach. Any place or places in particular?

Pollodawg
06-22-2016, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure he's got anywhere to go. Can't think of anywhere opening up (I know that is always fluid, year hasn't even started yet).

What you thinking Coach. Any place or places in particular?

Every year is gonna be Dan's last year for the last three or four seasons. The losing to Ole Miss thing has got people blown way out of proportion on Mullen. It just proves the old assertion of theirs that the Egg is the only game we care about.

Coach34
06-22-2016, 10:00 AM

he got cold feet for some reason

Pollodawg
06-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Sure. Why not.

Coach34
06-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Every year is gonna be Dan's last year for the last three or four seasons. The losing to Ole Miss thing has got people blown way out of proportion on Mullen. It just proves the old assertion of theirs that the Egg is the only game we care about.

my hunch has zero to do with the Egg Bowl. You also throw a straw man out there- no State fans have been saying for 3-4 years that Mullen was in his last year

im basing it on him shopping himself so hard last season. I'm basing it on our administration not extending his contract after winning 9 games because he shopped himself around so hard. And lastly, I'm basing it on Mullen being extremely pissed off at our administration for not extending his contract. Now when you throw in a possible 3rd straight Egg Bowl loss to all that in November- I can see added friction and a possible divorce so to speak

MadDawg
06-22-2016, 10:10 AM

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Losing the eggbowl again will be too much for our fanbase to handle. Vacated wins later will not make a difference.

Coach34
06-22-2016, 10:15 AM
And let me add- I am in no way guaranteeing that this is going to happen. Not at all. But it is something that would not surprise me in the least.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Losing the Egg Bowl will not cause a panic if Ole Miss has moderately severe penalties and we have a good season. Take away either of those and our fanbase is probably going to go into panic mode.

If Mullen leaves I am hoping we go after Jeff Brohm.

Dawgology
06-22-2016, 10:23 AM
So....waaaaaaaaay to early to talk about this but who do we get to replace him? Who do we go after?

ETA: I just realized he never received a contract extension....

Jack Lambert
06-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately, I think you are right. Losing the eggbowl again will be too much for our fanbase to handle. Vacated wins later will not make a difference.

They are not going to fire him. If he leaves it will be for another job.

Maroonthirteen
06-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Every year Dan is here, the odds of him leaving the next year go up. It is just simply he has been here 8yrs and his shopping last year. IMO, when the Penn State job opens, Or middle to top tier Big10 school, he gone.

As.for Freeze, there is very very little talk of their NCAA investigation by main stream media. Just based on recruiting too, I say people are still judging Freeze on his on field results rather than what may happen. I believe 100% the guy is dirtiest chestingest head coach in the nation but......the NCAA needs to hammer him very publicly.

Pollodawg
06-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Well, obviously Dan's gonna leave at some point. That's not really debatable.

Maroonthirteen
06-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Well, obviously Dan's gonna leave at some point. That's not really debatable.

Yeah to be more specific, I think he is in that window of having been here long enough that he wants to move to bigger program. Also long enough that the fans become unappreciative (happens everywhere).

I think if we doesn't land another big job by year 11, he may be here for the long haul. With all that said, I'm glad he has been loyal to us for 8 years. I figure 5 max when he arrived.

maroonmania
06-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Well I brought up the head-to-head Egg Bowls because this is a thread about directly comparing Freeze and Mullen. Its certainly not the only game I care about. And I didn't give any ultimatum that if Mullen doesn't win the Egg Bowl I want him fired or anything. Heck, I didn't even say he had to win the game to keep me from being pissed. How about Mullen bringing in a team ready to play in the Egg Bowl that at least keeps the game competitive into the 4th quarter? That would be a nice change from the last 2 years.

Pollodawg
06-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Yeah to be more specific, I think he is in that window of having been here long enough that he wants to move to bigger program. Also long enough that the fans become unappreciative (happens everywhere).

I think if we doesn't land another big job by year 11, he may be here for the long haul. With all that said, I'm glad he has been loyal to us for 8 years. I figure 5 max when he arrived.

Thought he was gone after '10 when Urban quit again if UF called. Never thought he'd be here this long either, and I am an unabashed Mullen fan.

Pollodawg
06-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Well I brought up the head-to-head Egg Bowls because this is a thread about directly comparing Freeze and Mullen. Its certainly not the only game I care about. And I didn't give any ultimatum that if Mullen doesn't win the Egg Bowl I want him fired or anything. Heck, I didn't even say he had to win the game to keep me from being pissed. How about Mullen bringing in a team ready to play in the Egg Bowl that at least keeps the game competitive into the 4th quarter? That would be a nice change from the last 2 years.

Oh , I was ready to put my head through a concrete wall after last November. Trust me. We just have to do our best to see the big picture v. TSUN. This NCAA may change the dynamic of this rivalry again.

RiverCityDawg
06-22-2016, 02:55 PM

"Bigger programs" just haven't shown a lot of serious interest in Mullen. He makes top 15 money so there is a small group of jobs that are even possibilities unless he takes less money or gets told to looks elsewhere, neither of which make much sense at this point. If we win just 6 or 7 wins this year like many think, he isn't going to get any looks unless programs get down to their 3rd or 4th choice. Now, let us win 9 or 10 this year and he might have some options. I personally think there would be a greater chance he leaves after 2017 than after this year.

I don't agree with everything he does, but as long as he's winning 7-9 (or more) games a year, I want him to stay as long as possible.

MSUDawg99
06-22-2016, 03:13 PM

If our fanbase turns into Georgia that wanted Mark Richt gone that's pathetic. I think Dan's earned the right to stay a bit. The Eggbowl is one game. We shouldn't obsess over that effin shitastic fanbase or game. Football is more than just that effin game. Who gives a fark? Much bigger teams to worry about.

maroonmania
06-22-2016, 03:26 PM
"Bigger programs" just haven't shown a lot of serious interest in Mullen. He makes top 15 money so there is a small group of jobs that are even possibilities unless he takes less money or gets told to looks elsewhere, neither of which make much sense at this point. If we win just 6 or 7 wins this year like many think, he isn't going to get any looks unless programs get down to their 3rd or 4th choice. Now, let us win 9 or 10 this year and he might have some options. I personally think there would be a greater chance he leaves after 2017 than after this year.

I don't agree with everything he does, but as long as he's winning 7-9 (or more) games a year, I want him to stay as long as possible.

Yea, but going back to C34's point about the contract extension, there may be some real issues now between Keenum, Strick and Mullen based on the lengths Mullen went to last season looking for other coaching options. It is very unusual that an MSU football coach wins 9 games and doesn't get his contract extended out to the 4 year max.

SDDawg
06-22-2016, 06:57 PM

I see this way differently. The problem is a perception of momentum on their side, which is negated by the pending sanctions and post-season ban at Ole Miss. But let's play it out: You can argue that 2013 was a narrow OT victory, but I'd argue that we had the lesser team on the field in terms of talent and were decimated by injuries. We started our 3rd string QB. The fact that we won at all is a testament to coaching and the will of that team so a huge plus in our column. The momentum from those 3 straight wins to end the year carried us into an outstanding start to 2014. I see a lot of positive there. In 2014 we were better, but had some broken plays and we were not ready to play on the road. Inexcusable loss in 2014 and there is no getting around that. Last year they were better, but we feel like we should have won at home (of course we do, makes sense). Looking back though, we were covering up for a lot of holes and they exposed all of those and beat us. Margin should have been tighter and we should have been more competitive, but they beat us soundly. So out of the last 3 years, I'd argue 2014 is the only one that we lost that we shouldn't have.

Of course you'll be pissed if we lose this year, I will be too. But looking back, we're only one game off of where we should have been in this series over the past 5 years (should be 3 - 2 vs. 2 - 3).

SDDawg
06-22-2016, 07:00 PM
If our fanbase turns into Georgia that wanted Mark Richt gone that's pathetic. I think Dan's earned the right to stay a bit. The Eggbowl is one game. We shouldn't obsess over that effin shitastic fanbase or game. Football is more than just that effin game. Who gives a fark? Much bigger teams to worry about.

+1 and I think Scott gets it, which is why Mullen will be here for a few more years. I don't think this will be his last job, but until he has a bigger year (another 2014 type year or better) I don't think he'll be in a position to leave. If 2017 works out the way it could tho, I think that's a good point for him to exit.