PDA

View Full Version : Bonner: Without Dak Prescott or a proven answer at QB ...

DancingRabbit
06-21-2016, 12:16 AM
Was googling Dak and ran across this tweet. Haven't been over to the CL in a couple of weeks but I guess Bonner agrees with C34 that 2016 looks grim.

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/743559312102952960

Bo Mattingly
‏@SportsTalkwBo

Bonner: Without Dak Prescott or a proven answer at QB, I think it?s going to be a difficult year for Mississippi State.

I haven't listened to the show and maybe this is out of context, but I figure Dan has 2-3 QBs he's comfortable with for 2016. No doubt we'll have more experience at QB in 2017 but I think 1 or 2 of our guys will emerge as playmakers this year.

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/743559497000460288

Bo Mattingly
‏@SportsTalkwBo

Bonner: The 2017 MSU team might be the most talented one Mullen has had, so I think he?ll use 2016 to try & find a QB for next year.

cheewgumm
06-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Why is 17 gonna be do good?

BeardoMSU
06-21-2016, 12:32 AM
Why is 17 gonna be do good?

Rapture**

MaroonFlounder
06-21-2016, 06:03 AM
It will be on the o-line moreso than QB. Fitz can make plays, but we will again get killed by Bama, LSU, OM, and looking at A&Ms defensive ends...I am wary about that one now as well.

spbdawg
06-21-2016, 07:00 AM
#

SaintDawg
06-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Please, please, please... Dont let the talking heads decide our season for us before it has begun. A broken clock is right twice a day. I have faith that Mullen and staff will do wonders with these young men.

mic
06-21-2016, 07:37 AM
**** Bonner..

Johnson85
06-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Please, please, please... Dont let the talking heads decide our season for us before it has begun. A broken clock is right twice a day. I have faith that Mullen and staff will do wonders with these young men.

It's not the talking heads deciding our season, it's Mullen and Co's O-line recruiting. You give us a solid O-line with this year's schedule, and we would be dangerous. Probably still enough questions regarding CB and depth at DL to keep us from winning the West, but we'd be good. A bad O-line plus an inexperienced QB is just hard to overcome, and we likely won't have the shut-down D that would be necessary to do so.

Coach34
06-21-2016, 08:09 AM
It's not the talking heads deciding our season, it's Mullen and Co's O-line recruiting. You give us a solid O-line with this year's schedule, and we would be dangerous. Probably still enough questions regarding CB and depth at DL to keep us from winning the West, but we'd be good. A bad O-line plus an inexperienced QB is just hard to overcome, and we likely won't have the shut-down D that would be necessary to do so.

inexperienced QB takes a little longer to make decisions- and a bad OL doesn't give him that time to do that. Unfortunately, that leads to sacks or bad decisions

louisvilledawg
06-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Rapture**

http://www.reactiongifs.com/lol/lolololol.gif

Jack Lambert
06-21-2016, 08:29 AM

I agree with what you said but since there is a P.M and a A.M the broken clock can only be correct once a day.

Political Hack
06-21-2016, 08:40 AM
How quickly people forget that we won 9 games with Relf and were 6 inches from bowling with Tyson Lee.

Nicky Fitz looks like an NFL TE. He's an athlete with huge size and could end up being a better runner than Dak. I don't know if he naturally runs to open space like Dak does, but I think he can grind it out just as well. His legs look like tree trunks. I think our running game will be vastly improved, which will take a lot of pressure off the passing game and the defense.

TrapGame
06-21-2016, 08:49 AM
How quickly people forget that we won 9 games with Relf and were 6 inches from bowling with Tyson Lee.

If Tyson was 6 inches taller we would have been.

Maroonthirteen
06-21-2016, 08:49 AM

Nicky Fitz looks like an NFL TE. He's an athlete with huge size and could end up being a better runner than Dak. I don't know if he naturally runs to open space like Dak does, but I think he can grind it out just as well. His legs look like tree trunks. I think our running game will be vastly improved, which will take a lot of pressure off the passing game and the defense.

I concur. I'll add, we will see our offense look more like it did in the Relf years.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-21-2016, 08:58 AM

I'm still impressed with both of those examples, but like they said above it comes back to the O-Line. Is our line as good as it was with Relf? Hell all the QB's competing for the job might have more talent than Dak, but they can't do much if they're scrambling for their lives all game long. Plus Dak had the experience to hang in the pocket to allow our receivers to create some separation.

Reason2succeed
06-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Our running game was crap last year. We are breaking in a new QB. We are installing a new defense. I'm not going to disagree with anyone who looks at us and says we are going to suck. They have every right.

I believe/hope a running game develops and Fitz or D. Williams can give us quality QB play. I believe our defense will gel eventually but we need them to get it together fast.

tcdog70
06-21-2016, 09:05 AM
THE SKY IS FALLING-- $hit we will win 8 games at least. QB will not be a problem. We will go back to the Relf offense which suits Us better. Our defense will be better . Our RBs will be better. The OL has no where to go but up. We have 4 QBs who we can plug in and run the ball, which in turn will get single coverage on Fred Ross who will catch many TDs. Why be negative when we can pump a little sunshine? I am at this point a WOOLY MFER,.

Tripp McNeely
06-21-2016, 09:08 AM
inexperienced QB takes a little longer to make decisions- and a bad OL doesn't give him that time to do that. Unfortunately, that leads to sacks or bad decisions

Nick's a better runner than Dak. Gonna balance what you said above out a lot. Plus, you won't see a 10th of the drop-back pass plays that you saw with Dak. Our passing play-calling will much more resemble what we did with Relf. Possible bad-decision making will be curtailed some, until he's ready, by limiting the options...i.e. don't call a lot of "5-step drops, go through progression"-type plays against teams that can get around our tackles quickly. You limit your options to a couple of receivers versus the 4-5 with Dak in the shotgun last year, but when you raise the percentage of roll-outs in your passing play-calling, coupled with our long-striders, you also open up a very viable run-pass option, which Kelly killed Bama with last year.

SaintDawg
06-21-2016, 09:10 AM
THE SKY IS FALLING-- $hit we will win 8 games at least. QB will not be a problem. We will go back to the Relf offense which suits Us better. Our defense will be better . Our RBs will be better. The OL has no where to go but up. We have 4 QBs who we can plug in and run the ball, which in turn will get single coverage on Fred Ross who will catch many TDs. Why be negative when we can pump a little sunshine? I am at this point a WOOLY MFER,.
Thank you. I hate hearing that "we're the doormat of the SEC West" all the time.

Gutter Cobreh
06-21-2016, 09:12 AM
While Fitz received most of the reps. last year in Prescott's absence, are you guys comfortable that he will beat out Staley for the starting job? Is it a foregone conclusion? I think both have potential to be really good.

The reason I ask is because I could see a scenario when we run a two quarterback system, and Mullen has shown a tendency to lean that way without a clear, undisputed starter.

TrapGame
06-21-2016, 09:32 AM

It's going to take an elite DB to cover Ross in single coverage and we will face maybe three teams with that kind of talent on D.

spiral
06-21-2016, 09:33 AM
I think we might go back to a slower offense, depending on the opponent, and try and keep the games close like Mullen did the first couple of years. Hopefully he keeps his history of winning those close ones when leading in the 4th quarter. It should help the o-line too by not running as many plays.

We should be better with the run game. Which will shorten the game. We have at least 3 QB's who can run as well or better than Relf and all can pass better than he did. I don’t like risking anyone’s health but if you have good backups you are willing to run everything you can in the playbook and pound some bodies. I really liked Relf and admired his tough play but he suffered from being beat down plus he had the worst option pitch I’ve ever seen in D1 football and some passes were downright comical.

We also probably have the best opportunity since Mullen’s been here to loosen things up some with the deep ball.

Pass coverage does worry me some but hopefully the new defense will confuse opponents for a while and we have some serious talent on D too.

It will be interesting and fun to be at the games and see what transpires.

JETDAWG
06-21-2016, 10:17 AM
I see 8 wins out there, maybe more if we can gel and upset some of the big boys. "The sky is not falling" -Chicken Little

Liverpooldawg
06-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Why don't we wait till we actually see them on the field before we melt down? Good lord.

SaintDawg
06-21-2016, 10:33 AM
I agree with what you said but since there is a P.M and a A.M the broken clock can only be correct once a day.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7qRfjLB66a0/UZExVfTz2PI/AAAAAAAALxM/5EK2sQCDgHo/w1200-h630-p-nu/ndt-shaking-head.gif

Johnson85
06-21-2016, 11:04 AM
I concur. I'll add, we will see our offense look more like it did in the Relf years.

Do you mean Relf's Jr year, when we were actually good? Or his senior year, when we were not?

The OL for Relf's Jr. year (2010) was:

Derek Sherrod
Quentin Saulsberry
J.C. Brignone
Tobias Smith (his one healthy year I think)
Addison Lawrence

The OL for his senior year (2011) was

James Carmon (converted DT)/Blaine Clausell (as RS Fr)
Quentin Saulsberry
Dillon Day (as RS Fr) (Did he step in for an injured Saulsberry? Can't remember now)
Gabe Jackson/Tobias Smith (not healthy much I don't think)
Addison Lawrence

Our OL this year is looking like it will be much closer to 2011 than 2010.

Political Hack
06-21-2016, 11:14 AM
While Fitz received most of the reps. last year in Prescott's absence, are you guys comfortable that he will beat out Staley for the starting job? Is it a foregone conclusion? I think both have potential to be really good.

The reason I ask is because I could see a scenario when we run a two quarterback system, and Mullen has shown a tendency to lean that way without a clear, undisputed starter.

I don't think there's any question that both will play. I'd be a little surprised if we didn't play 3 early and often. I think 1 will likely settle in for the majority of reps as the season wears on, but you know CDM will want to see them all in action.

TrapGame
06-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Do you mean Relf's Jr year, when we were actually good? Or his senior year, when we were not?

The OL for Relf's Jr. year (2010) was:

Derek Sherrod
Quentin Saulsberry
J.C. Brignone
Tobias Smith (his one healthy year I think)
Addison Lawrence

The OL for his senior year (2011) was

James Carmon (converted DT)/Blaine Clausell (as RS Fr)
Quentin Saulsberry
Dillon Day (as RS Fr) (Did he step in for an injured Saulsberry? Can't remember now)
Gabe Jackson/Tobias Smith (not healthy much I don't think)
Addison Lawrence

Our OL this year is looking like it will be much closer to 2011 than 2010.

And Relf didn't have an arm. We have two fighting for starter with canons and more accuracy than Relf.

Taog Redloh
06-21-2016, 11:20 AM

I think Tiano might be the starter by the end of the season.

TrapGame
06-21-2016, 11:28 AM
I think Tiano might be the starter by the end of the season.

I can see that. I think it will be between Fitz and Tiano. Staley is good but those two are just better.

Taog Redloh
06-21-2016, 11:32 AM
I can see that. I think it will be between Fitz and Tiano. Staley is good but those two are just better.

From what I've heard from a former player who's seen practice (I say that because I do not care enough to follow or go to practice), Staley can't run the ball like the others. We all know Williams likely won't be the guy. Tiano has the higher talent of he and Fitz but Fitz is ahead obviously.

I'd love to see a situation next year where maybe Tiano takes the job and Fitz returns to WR. Scares me though because Tiano will only be a RSo. Dak didn't break out until he was a RJr.

Reason2succeed
06-21-2016, 11:35 AM
I know we all want a young tall athletically gifted QB to win his thing but if they don't outright out play him then Damian Williams is going to be our QB. Most of us predicted that he would have transferred by now. Guess what? That ain't happened and it won't. He's definitely in the mix. And I will confess that I have come around. If he gives us the best chance to win then it ought to be his job until someone knocks him off or he graduates. Because honestly I'm beginning to think that he will be our best option in our first three games.

Pollodawg
06-21-2016, 11:38 AM
The job will eventually be Tiano's to lose I think. Maybe even by the end of this season.

bobtail bob
06-21-2016, 11:44 AM
None of these clowns saw Dak coming either.....

Johnson85
06-21-2016, 11:51 AM
I know we all want a young tall athletically gifted QB to win his thing but if they don't outright out play him then Damian Williams is going to be our QB. Most of us predicted that he would have transferred by now. Guess what? That ain't happened and it won't. He's definitely in the mix. And I will confess that I have come around. If he gives us the best chance to win then it ought to be his job until someone knocks him off or he graduates. Because honestly I'm beginning to think that he will be our best option in our first three games.

If Williams were ever going to be a better option, it seems unlikely it would be in the first three games coming off a year long layoff and really two since he's seen meaningful action, when Fitz is coming off a year where he saw meaningful time as a back-up.

It's possible, but he'd have had to make a big jump while not seeing any playing time. Kudos for him for wanting to stay and compete, but he'll be coming up against somebody who is more athletically gifted, who is at least his equal mentally, and who has more recent experience. The only thing Williams has going for him is that nothing Fitz has seen compares pressure wise to what Williams saw as a true freshman at the end of the Arkansas game and most of the Ole Miss game in 2013. I'm not sure being on campus one more year makes that big of a difference when he also has one full year of being injured.

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-21-2016, 11:57 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26635632/Lee%20LSU.jpg

blacklistedbully
06-21-2016, 01:01 PM

Don't discount Tiano. It is my understanding Tiano may have looked the best this Spring, and is ahead of Staley. Staley is a beast, physically, but I hear he needs much improvement in his footwork.

I have also heard Tiano is well-respected by his teammates.

Gutter Cobreh
06-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Don't discount Tiano. It is my understanding Tiano may have looked the best this Spring, and is ahead of Staley. Staley is a beast, physically, but I hear he needs much improvement in his footwork.

I have also heard Tiano is well-respected by his teammates.

I wasn't factoring Tiano in during my initial question, but as a few of you have articulated - he may very well be the best of the bunch.

In what little I have seen from Staley, the kids simply "looks the part" of what Mullen would like to have (sort of Cam Newton style) and seems to have a rocket arm. While Prescott may very well be our best player to date, his accuracy on short to mid level throws used to drive me up the wall. While he had the other intangibles and improved year over year, I simply want someone that is accurate and doesn't miss wide open receivers.

If Staley has footwork issues, then he may not fit the part as that has a large impact on accuracy of throws.

Whomever emerges, I do hope they are given time to succeed.

Taog Redloh
06-21-2016, 05:17 PM
I wasn't factoring Tiano in during my initial question, but as a few of you have articulated - he may very well be the best of the bunch.

In what little I have seen from Staley, the kids simply "looks the part" of what Mullen would like to have (sort of Cam Newton style) and seems to have a rocket arm. While Prescott may very well be our best player to date, his accuracy on short to mid level throws used to drive me up the wall. While he had the other intangibles and improved year over year, I simply want someone that is accurate and doesn't miss wide open receivers.

If Staley has footwork issues, then he may not fit the part as that has a large impact on accuracy of throws.

Whomever emerges, I do hope they are given time to succeed.

Staley can't run the ball. Unless he bulks up and develops Cam-type aggressiveness, he won't be the next coming.

Todd4State
06-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Don't forget that those two also had Sherrod, Gabe Jackson, and Brignone blocking for them. Thanks Croom.