PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Pearson

ZedFedder
06-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Our top baseball commit for the 2017 class decommits. I imagine this has to do with Mingione. He is ranked in the top 30. Was very pro state on social media. He is from Louisiana so imagine LSU becomes biggest competitor.

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Our top baseball commit for the 2017 class decommits. I imagine this has to do with Mingione. He is ranked in the top 30. Was very pro state on social media. He is from Louisiana so imagine LSU becomes biggest competitor.

Better get ready. Our recruiting is about get very difficult. Good coaches but Will Coggin has never recruited at this level & Gary Henderson has been a head coach & hasn't recruited hard in a number of years.

With Cohen's hires, I'm not sure who he expects to do the heavy lifting in recruiting.

msstate7
06-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Top 30... Most likely never sees a college campus anyway

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Top 30... Most likely never sees a college campus anyway

My guess is that Pearson does see campus. This is a loss. Again, Cohen's hires are interesting because there is no recuiter

msstate7
06-20-2016, 09:25 AM
My guess is that Pearson does see campus. This is a loss. Again, Cohen's hires are interesting because there is no recuiter

He's a top 30 player and you expect him in college? Then he must be vandy or Florida bound. When's the last time we got a top 30 player in school?

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2016, 09:37 AM
He's a top 30 player and you expect him in college? Then he must be vandy or Florida bound. When's the last time we got a top 30 player in school?

He's not a top 30 caliber player

msstate7
06-20-2016, 09:38 AM
He's not a top 30 caliber player

Gotcha... My premise was based on that

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Gotcha... My premise was based on that

Makes sense & understandable

maroonmania
06-20-2016, 09:45 AM

Someone on the board the other day said this was coming when Mingione left. Don't think he specifically mentioned Pearson by name but said to look for one of our top out of state commitments to decommit. Henderson is a better recruiter than Johnson from what I've gathered but it will be difficult for Coggin to measure up to Mingione in the recruiting department.

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Someone on the board the other day said this was coming when Mingione left. Don't think he specifically mentioned Pearson by name but said to look for one of our top out of state commitments to decommit. Henderson is a better recruiter than Johnson from what I've gathered but it will be difficult for Coggin to measure up to Mingione in the recruiting department.

What makes you think Henderson is a better recruiter than Johnson? Head coaches don't hit the recruiting trail like assistants. Henderson probably hasn't hit the recruiting trail in years

maroonmania
06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
What makes you think Henderson is a better recruiter than Johnson?

Well mostly from post after post on this board from various people saying he is. Johnson didn't really seem to get any big commitments for us but granted he wasn't here very long either.

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Well mostly from post after post on this board from various people saying he is. Johnson didn't really seem to get any big commitments for us but granted he wasn't here very long either.

Johnson wasn't here during the recruiting period. Johnson is an outstanding recruiter. Henderson may be as well, but I'm just saying that, as a head coach, he didn't recruit much

maroonmania
06-20-2016, 10:13 AM
Johnson is an outstanding recruiter.

Based on what? His time at DBU? Somewhere else? He had a great reputation developing pitchers but I've not heard at lot about him being an "outstanding recruiter" even while he was here with us.

Henderson may be as well, but I'm just saying that, as a head coach, he didn't recruit much

Well, he was an assistant for many more years than he was a HC. I know he was a top recruiter for some of Cohen's best classes at KY. Before that he was an assistant at CS-Fullerton, Pepperdine, Florida (1996 Asst coach of the year) and Oregon St. Now yes, it has been a few years since he has been an assistant but if you can recruit, you can recruit.

ZedFedder
06-20-2016, 11:33 AM
Reason I said top 30 was because last article I saw said he was 26th on Perfect Game. He may have dropped some since the last time I saw.

msbulldog
06-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Hell, he'll probably end up at Kentucky.

ETDawg
06-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Rated 26 in nation by PG

Todd4State
06-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Hell, he'll probably end up at Kentucky.

Committed to LSU today.

Todd4State
06-20-2016, 02:50 PM
I think Coggin will be fine as a recuriter. Remember when we lost Butch and Alex Speas and Elliott Johnson de-committed even though we hired Wes? It's just part of it with guys committing sooner now and coaching changes happening. We've flipped Breaux, Small, Fenter, Barlow, and Coffers among others the past two seasons and used to be it was very rare to see that in baseball recruiting.

Commercecomet24
06-20-2016, 03:21 PM
I think Coggin will be fine as a recuriter. Remember when we lost Butch and Alex Speas and Elliott Johnson de-committed even though we hired Wes? It's just part of it with guys committing sooner now and coaching changes happening. We've flipped Breaux, Small, Fenter, Barlow, and Coffers among others the past two seasons and used to be it was very rare to see that in baseball recruiting.

I agree. Everytime you lose coaches you generally lose a few commits, its just part of the game. We will be just fine. We have been working our commits since Mingione and Johnson left and doing a good job with it. It's just natural that a few are gonna change their mind, but the sky sure aint falling.

djaymsu5
06-20-2016, 03:22 PM
Doubt the kid ever see's a college campus. If he is projected that high and has a great senior year then I would expect him to go top 7-8 rounds.

maroonmania
06-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Doubt the kid ever see's a college campus. If he is projected that high and has a great senior year then I would expect him to go top 7-8 rounds.

IF he remains that high he very well will not see a college campus unless he is just determined he wants the college experience and is willing to reject hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so. He is currently rated higher than Walker Robbins (PG #34) was rated this year.

basedog
06-20-2016, 03:31 PM
The ship ain't gonna sink because we lose assistant coaches. Cohen is a much better recruiter than some on here think.

Losing assistants speaks well for Cohen and our program, better worry when we fire coaches in any sport.

Commercecomet24
06-20-2016, 03:37 PM
The ship ain't gonna sink because we lose assistant coaches. Cohen is a much better recruiter than some on here think.

Losing assistants speaks well for Cohen and our program, better worry when we fire coaches in any sport.

Exactly! Our future is bright and Cohen has set us up to have long term success. We will be very good next year and elite in 2018 and in the forseeable future. Gotta get used to winning and success.

Homedawg
06-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Nick didn't start recruiting until lane left. Nick did a good job recruiting, that's easy to see, but it's not like we didn't get players before he was here and won't be that way now he's gone.

Bully13
06-20-2016, 03:56 PM

This. Successful programs replace assistants all the time. Poor ones fire them.

Todd4State
06-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Nick didn't start recruiting until lane left. Nick did a good job recruiting, that's easy to see, but it's not like we didn't get players before he was here and won't be that way now he's gone.

Exactly. And I remember being worried about Nick as a recruiter when he first took over but he won me over very quickly. Every good recruiter has to get their first shot somewhere. Plus, Will was the recruiting coordinator at the JUCO he coached at before he came back to us. I know it's not the same as recruiting at MSU- but it does mean that recruiting isn't totally foreign to him and I'm sure he has a ton of contacts in Florida plus in Mississippi where his Dad is a high school baseball coach- at Booneville I believe.

Todd4State
06-20-2016, 04:54 PM
IF he remains that high he very well will not see a college campus unless he is just determined he wants the college experience and is willing to reject hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so. He is currently rated higher than Walker Robbins (PG #34) was rated this year.

Pearson had an arm injury that might scare scouts away from him some. He appears to be fully recovered though.

BiscuitEater
06-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Better get ready. Our recruiting is about get very difficult. Good coaches but Will Coggin has never recruited at this level & Gary Henderson has been a head coach & hasn't recruited hard in a number of years.

With Cohen's hires, I'm not sure who he expects to do the heavy lifting in recruiting.

While I admired Wes, exactly 'how much' recruiting has he been able to do and 'who' has he brought in over the last 7-8 months he has been here?

Meanwhile, Henderson is one of the 'top pitching masterminds' in the college business and a 28-year coaching veteran that knows baseball in the south and SEC.

Coggin has been on Cohen's staff before and was an assistant coach for three years at St. Johns River State College in Palatka, Florida. He got us Nate Lowe and was the recruiting coordinator there.

Think we will be ok.