PDA

View Full Version : It's safe to say, the "Coached" teams are the teams that win come crunch time...

RougeDawg
06-20-2016, 12:48 AM
Just hope people are paying attention to what is gonna on and what makes a great team. The announcers and coaches are basically reiterating everything I've hoped we would do, teach the game. One can know in game situations as good as any but the hitters you need to execute have to know the game. Sorry to say we don't have adequately coached hitters. Look at Coastal Carolina. Complete and properly coached team.

It's nothing on us. The entire SEC, and power 5 Conferences for that matter, rely on talent and talent alone to win. Baseball is the one sport you don't need elite talent to beat elite talent. You can coach up players to shorten strides, spread out, move hands by back shoulder pre swing, and get front foot down early. You can coach keeping hands and elbows close to body to maximize power. You can coach "pitch release point" and determine if any pitch will even be a strike from release point.

Yes, everyone will clown on this, but all who clown do not know the game. As a hitter you watch a pitcher warm up and throw to the batters before you. One should be able to look at release point and if the pitch can even be a strike? ( Us last weekend lends to fact that both our coaches and hitters are clueless).

The announcers each game have harped on all of these items. Especially ARod today saying get your foot down early. Biggest problem for our team. You cannot hit and hit for any type of power of you start your swing before your front foot is planted firmly.The ones Rooker hits 330 to alley for an out, his foot isn't down. Ask Jason Day how far he could drive a ball if his foot was in the air when he began his swing.

The question is, can some of you peek a little deeper into the physics and teachings of the game of baseball, look at out team, acknowledged the glaring deficiencies, and say we need a change. I'm sick and tired of seeing the same lack of hitting instruction with the talent we have. But for those of you happy with and satisfied with tourney births and occasional Supers, by all means lets keep this up!!!!

CadaverDawg
06-20-2016, 12:55 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8BqcV.gif

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2016, 12:56 AM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1377575237_Uh_wtf_gif.gif

JohnnyQuid
06-20-2016, 02:52 AM
really

that wall of text is horrifying.

can you grasp that CWS is rarely won by the best team? even world series in pro ball. it's a fickle game.

we're the glaringly deficient sec champions. just stop

BB30
06-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the entertainment this morning Skip. Who do you coach for again?

shoeless joe
06-20-2016, 09:05 AM
I still wanna know what mechanical adjustment keeps hitters from chasing breaking balls out of the zone...

djaymsu5
06-20-2016, 09:18 AM
I still wanna know what mechanical adjustment keeps hitters from chasing breaking balls out of the zone...

This^^ I'm sure some mechanical adjustment would do some guys some good no doubt but our main problem this year was lack of discipline at the plate. Mainly in supers

AROB44
06-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Hell....I thought all you had to do was buy a video. That would solve all problems with hitters. Just a few looks and we will have best hitters in the country. ******

DogDaddy
06-20-2016, 09:27 AM
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=billy+madison+clip+we+are+all+a+little+du mber&view=detail&mid=085F3BB067FC687EAD7D085F3BB067FC687EAD7D&FORM=VIRE

Dawg61
06-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Why does it feel like I'm watching Groundhog Day?

Taog Redloh
06-20-2016, 10:53 AM
This^^ I'm sure some mechanical adjustment would do some guys some good no doubt but our main problem this year was lack of discipline at the plate. Mainly in supers

Our main problem was Bobby Dalbec and our own bullpen. Did you even watch the team?

Offense was in no way a problem for the 2016 edition of MSU baseball. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/210

Get your head out of your ass. If you told me Hudson and Co. would toss a 1 run game in Game 1 of the Supers, I say we win every time. Dalbec had the game of his life. Game 2 should have been won. 5-1 going into the 8th has to be closed down, and it wasn't. The bullpen, while we had some talent, was a problem ALL DAMN YEAR. If it wasn't control problems, it was lack of depth.

shoeless joe
06-20-2016, 11:27 AM

I'm referring to a statement he made in an earlier post. He's yet to enlighten us people that "don't know the game" what mechanical adjustment will prevent a hitter from chasing a breaking ball down and out of the zone.

BB30
06-20-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm referring to a statement he made in an earlier post. He's yet to enlighten us people that "don't know the game" what mechanical adjustment will prevent a hitter from chasing a breaking ball down and out of the zone.

There is no mechanical adjustment. His argument is apparently reading release point which in no way shape or form is going to help a hitter determine if the ball is going to be out of the zone. The only thing that a hitter could possibly do if they are struggling to see the ball is cut down on body movement if their head is moving to much not getting foot down early enough etc. His argument is absolutely ridiculous. At this level for the most part you can either hit or you can't. Yes, everyone has slumps but mechanical adjustments aren't going to fix a whole lot. Most of these kids now are actually probably over coached coming into college ball.

was21
06-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Good points BUT kind of agree with Ben McDonald: He simply said that there is a lot of parity in college baseball and the team that is the hottest might win. Being hot could also encompass chip on shoulder, focusing and executing and not making mistakes. That's enough for me and I buy it. Baseball of all sports is that kind of game.

Taog Redloh
06-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Teams that can pitch it win in Omaha. Look at the scores. TCU won because they pitched it well and have a freshman that can mash - no coaching can teach that.

Jack Lambert
06-20-2016, 12:10 PM
I thought this was going to be about the NBA finals.

Todd4State
06-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Teams that can pitch it win in Omaha. Look at the scores. TCU won because they pitched it well and have a freshman that can mash - no coaching can teach that.

Ding, ding, ding.

Commercecomet24
06-20-2016, 05:30 PM

Yep championships revolve around pitching. All starts on the mound. Very rarely does the best hitting team win championships in baseball. It's pitching, defense and timely hitting.

Really Clark?
06-20-2016, 05:40 PM
The advanced stats concerning Pitchf/X have done some studies trying to determine if release point with clean repeatable mechanics or pitchers with varied release points have a noticeable or slight edge between the two styles. The data is still somewhat inconclusive about which is inherently better against hitters. What we do know is that pitchers who throw multiple pitches down the same path do have an advantage over hitters. The ones who hide their spin the best have another advantage as well when combined with throwing their fastball, offspeed and/or spin pitches down the same path at the same release. So the idea of release point being a tell for batters mostly only works at the youth level or high school. The pitcher can still have success at those levels if he has good movement even though they are telegraphing a pitch.

However, there are many guys who have had just as good success by given the batters multiple looks with arm slots and release points. Again, they are usually ones who also throw more than one pitch at the various angles. But by and large the samples that are being reviewed shows very very little deviation on the hitters ability to hit or not hit pitchers strickly because of release point. Hitters only seem to have a noticeable advantage when faced with a pitcher can only throw one pitch from a particular angle or for the ones who release at the same point but can't command multiple pitches from the same release. Again, this is at the MLB level and is strickly concerning starters. Obviously, bullpen specialty pitchers usually have just 2 pitches and are coming in mainly in matchup situations where arm angles, high velocity, and/or plus breaking pitches are their specialty.

Todd4State
06-20-2016, 06:20 PM
The advanced stats concerning Pitchf/X have done some studies trying to determine if release point with clean repeatable mechanics or pitchers with varied release points have a noticeable or slight edge between the two styles. The data is still somewhat inconclusive about which is inherently better against hitters. What we do know is that pitchers who throw multiple pitches down the same path do have an advantage over hitters. The ones who hide their spin the best have another advantage as well when combined with throwing their fastball, offspeed and/or spin pitches down the same path at the same release. So the idea of release point being a tell for batters mostly only works at the youth level or high school. The pitcher can still have success at those levels if he has good movement even though they are telegraphing a pitch.

However, there are many guys who have had just as good success by given the batters multiple looks with arm slots and release points. Again, they are usually ones who also throw more than one pitch at the various angles. But by and large the samples that are being reviewed shows very very little deviation on the hitters ability to hit or not hit pitchers strickly because of release point. Hitters only seem to have a noticeable advantage when faced with a pitcher can only throw one pitch from a particular angle or for the ones who release at the same point but can't command multiple pitches from the same release. Again, this is at the MLB level and is strickly concerning starters. Obviously, bullpen specialty pitchers usually have just 2 pitches and are coming in mainly in matchup situations where arm angles, high velocity, and/or plus breaking pitches are their specialty.

Assuming that SEC baseball is the equivalent of high A-AA then I would guess the results of your study are similar.

State82
06-20-2016, 06:39 PM

All freaking day.