PDA

View Full Version : New 2017 Football Commit

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2016, 12:51 PM
JJ Russell LB from Grenada has committed. He has offers from MSU, Missouri, Louisville, Cal, among others.

http://247sports.com/Player/JJ-Russell-88772

Jr Highlights

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5674085/highlights/314756419

FISHDAWG
06-18-2016, 12:54 PM
OH Yeah ... welcome aboard JJ ... glad to have you as a bulldog

msstate7
06-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Hmmm... A lb 1 day after gay shuns us. Does this mean we've moved on? Does this help us with Avery?

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2016, 01:12 PM
I guess not all three stars are created equal......

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/GeorgeSPatton_cropped.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Hmmm... A lb 1 day after gay shuns us. Does this mean we've moved on? Does this help us with Avery?

We're not moving on from Gay. Russell camped yesterday & earned an offer. He & his mom came back today to commit. He & Avery are best friends. Nothing is ever certain but this doesn't hurt to have this card in the CJ sweepstakes.

Bothrops
06-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Welcome aboard, JJ!

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
06-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Love it !! Give a scholly to someone who's truly a DAWG!! Hailstate!!

dawgclub99
06-18-2016, 02:29 PM
I will take as many Grenada Chargers as we can get. Always seem to produce. Welcome aboard JJ.

Coach34
06-18-2016, 02:41 PM
can he play OG or OT?

pilldawg
06-18-2016, 03:25 PM
can he play OG or OT?

This^^^^

Coach34
06-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Until we pull a couple of highly rated OL players- the rest of our recruiting really doesnt matter

Dawgface
06-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Nice. Maybe the world is not coming to an end after all

msbulldog
06-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the Bulldog family Mr. Russell, make us proud!

bulldawg28
06-18-2016, 06:10 PM
Until we pull a couple of highly rated OL players- the rest of our recruiting really doesnt matter

I could have sworn 11 players were on the field not 5.

Dawgology
06-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the Bulldog family JJ!

shrimp
06-18-2016, 09:24 PM
That dude is violent.

JJ Russell LB from Grenada has committed. He has offers from MSU, Missouri, Louisville, Cal, among others.

http://247sports.com/Player/JJ-Russell-88772

Jr Highlights

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5674085/highlights/314756419

dawgclub99
06-18-2016, 09:46 PM

Uh Gainer and Champion are pretty damn good.

Coach34
06-18-2016, 10:01 PM
I could have sworn 11 players were on the field not 5.

You know like I do- those 5 guys affect tremendously how those other 6 perform

Coach34
06-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Uh Gainer and Champion are pretty damn good.

We have had 1 juco come in and start under Mullen- pump the breaks on Champion. Chances are he will sit a year or back-up someone.
Gainer is the is the 672nd rated player in the country. 15th in the state. Thats not highly rated and of no help. He will be no factor for at least 2 years

DancingRabbit
06-18-2016, 10:33 PM
We have had 1 juco come in and start under Mullen- pump the breaks on Champion. Chances are he will sit a year or back-up someone.
Gainer is the is the 672nd rated player in the country. 15th in the state. Thats not highly rated and of no help. He will be no factor for at least 2 years

28th best OG in the country sounds decent to me.

Coach34
06-18-2016, 10:49 PM
28th best OG in the country sounds decent to me.

Rankin was the #1 juco OT in the country- redhsirted
Darryl Williams was #8 in the country at Center in 2015- redshirted and will back-up on a bad OL
Jocquell Johnson was a top juco recruit- career back-up

We arent close to getting an impact player on the OL that can help immediately. And our OL sux. Every other school plays a couple true freshman OL guys except us

blacklistedbully
06-18-2016, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the Bulldog family, JJ!

dawgclub99
06-18-2016, 11:38 PM

According to who the Internet rankings site? Do they rank a kids heart? His love for a university? No. These ranking sites have been wrong more often than not. I'll trust the staff that has gotten more out of players that others have given up on than a rankings site.

Todd4State
06-19-2016, 02:04 AM
Rankin was the #1 juco OT in the country- redhsirted
Darryl Williams was #8 in the country at Center in 2015- redshirted and will back-up on a bad OL
Jocquell Johnson was a top juco recruit- career back-up

We arent close to getting an impact player on the OL that can help immediately. And our OL sux. Every other school plays a couple true freshman OL guys except us

You are correct that o-line recruiting is the worst aspect of our recruiting. It's a complete trainwreck. We slowplay in state guys while chasing out of state rabbits and Ole Miss legacies, and then we force just about every JUCO to redshirt when we need them on the field. It also appears to me that we put our guys out of position as evidenced by our o-line actually gelling when someone goes down with an injury and we have to shuffle guys around and then actually perform better.

Rankin should have at the very least been able to play in a reserve role.

And the sad part is we recruit so well everywhere else- heck, even our special teams unit has improved. But Dan's loyalty to Hevesey apparently clouds his judgement to the point of detriment. Because it's pretty obvious to everyone else what the problem is. Except the one that counts.

What pisses me off is no way in hell this would be allowed to go on somewhere else like Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. But at MSU "but.....but....we just won 10 and 9 games. Everything is OK!" It's disturbing.

Todd4State
06-19-2016, 02:18 AM
According to who the Internet rankings site? Do they rank a kids heart? His love for a university? No. These ranking sites have been wrong more often than not. I'll trust the staff that has gotten more out of players that others have given up on than a rankings site.

No- but they do rank their talent. They call players that have heart and a love for the University something else- and that's walk-ons. And I don't need a recruiting site to tell me which you have better chance at winning with on the o-line in the SEC.

But to your point about getting more out of players- what have we gotten out of the o-line? OK, there are a few like Day- but that has been the exception rather than the norm on the o-line when compared to the other position groups that we have had. And even Day we were fairly lucky that we got him because had he not put on a ton of weight at the end of his recruiting cycle Hevesey passes on him too. Which is part of the problem- poor projection and evaluation. When Louisiana Tech has a center from Brandon, MS that grew up a MSU fan and was as good or better than the C/G that we trotted out there all season- that is a HUGE problem. It's like Hevesey waits and waits on Bruce Matthews to show up in the recruiting process and then we get to the end of the recruiting process and we almost end up empty handed and then we end up scrounging for JUCO's 2-3 years later who incredibly almost never pan out and seem to rarely get an opportunity unless it's a situation like Siddoway where there are no other options. It's completely ridiculous.

And I don't know that I like his idea of trying to teach every o-lineman every position on the line. I think that takes away from their focus on their best position on the line based on their skill set. Plus, I would imagine it's rare that you would even be in a situation where you would ever have to shuffle the o-line that much anyway. College isn't like the NFL where you have a 53 man roster limit on game day and you have to have some o-linemen that are versatile because of that.

Bully13
06-19-2016, 08:59 AM
If I recall, Day was a backup offer at the end due to us missing out on primary targets. And this seems to happen every year with ol recruiting under Mullen. Day is the only one of these i recall working out for us.

For Croom to have signed more nfl ol than Mullen simply has wtf written all over it. And it is really starting to become mccorvey esque on ******* part.

HSVDawg
06-19-2016, 11:30 AM

Agree 100%. Regardless of star rankings, we've recruited adequately at every other position on the field and that has been proven out by results and NFL players produced. But we will never be more than a perreniel 7 or 8 win team with the current status quo on the OL recruiting. The shitty thing is that even if we bucked the trend and signed 2 or 3 blue chips this year, it would be about 3 seasons before we started to see the fruits of our efforts. That's what makes this past class so disappointing.

1bigdawg
06-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Agree 100%. Regardless of star rankings, we've recruited adequately at every other position on the field and that has been proven out by results and NFL players produced. But we will never be more than a perreniel 7 or 8 win team with the current status quo on the OL recruiting. The shitty thing is that even if we bucked the trend and signed 2 or 3 blue chips this year, it would be about 3 seasons before we started to see the fruits of our efforts. That's what makes this past class so disappointing.

If we signed 2 or 3 blue chips this year.... If they were real blue chips and if our coach played his best, like Alabama does, then 1 or 2 (at least) would see the field this year.

As Coach 34 said above, we redshirt everyone so they "can learn every position on the OL." Other SEC teams sign SEC linemen and play them!

HSVDawg
06-19-2016, 01:46 PM
If we signed 2 or 3 blue chips this year.... If they were real blue chips and if our coach played his best, like Alabama does, then 1 or 2 (at least) would see the field this year.

As Coach 34 said above, we redshirt everyone so they "can learn every position on the OL." Other SEC teams sign SEC linemen and play them!

You are correct, but my point was that rarely do OL ever hit their peak until redshirt Sophomore or Junior year (even the best ones that don't change positions). Now, could we sign some blue chips and have them be marginally better as true freshmen than the redshirt juniors and seniors we have now? Sure. But it is likely we wouldn't notice much of a difference until their 2nd or 3rd full year in the program.

djaymsu5
06-19-2016, 06:22 PM

And that's every position not just OL. Aggrevates the shit out of me.