PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball coach and promoted coach thoughts

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Gary Henderson is a home run for us. I know people are disappointed because Wes is all about lighting up the radar guns but to me that style is starting to overtake baseball right now, so whomever we hire is going to likely adhere to those same principles. There aren't very many pitching coaches that DON'T want their guys to light up the radar gun. Henderson is one of the best pitching coaches in the country and he was successful as a head coach in the SEC at one of the toughest places to win at in the SEC. He also had good staffs in a hitters ballpark- meaning the guys that he coaches here are likely to have even better numbers than he did at UK. I don't know how many people remember but when we hired Cohen, one of the issues was he had a large buy out clause in his contract. The way Cohen got out of it was he had to promise to not take any of his assistants from Kentucky with him to Starkville. Had that not occurred, I'm pretty sure Henderson would have been our pitching coach.

Henderson is also an elite recruiter and he has ties to Florida and the West Coast most notably. If you want to win in Omaha- you have to have elite pitching. And to get elite pitching, you need someone like a Butch, a Wes, a Henderson to get it into school and develop it. And I think him taking a step back and just being a pitching coach is going to do him some good. There are a lot less responsibilities as a pitching coach compared to being the head coach and I think both of us will benefit. Also, we have the ability to pay Henderson like a head coach if we choose too- which may lead to him staying awhile.

Promoting Coggin was a great move IMO as well. Cohen is the hitting coach- but because he has a lot of duties as the head coach he can not fully devote enough time to it and needs someone to assist him that is good. This past season that was Coggin and we went from the middle of the SEC in hitting to one of the best- and markedly improved our power numbers in the process. If you had a chance to hire a coach that had a team that was in the top three in offense, you would probably say that was a great hire? Well that's what Will did for us last year. How good of a rectuiter he is remains to be seen, but I feel confident that he will be outstanding. He recruited well as a JUCO hitting coach, so it's not completely foreign to him. He also has a lot of ties to Mississippi and Louisiana.

So, that brings us to the volunteer assistant position. Cohen has liked to hire young up and coming coaches and kind of trial runned them. He has been pretty successful doing it that way- from Nick Mingione to Jake Wells, and now Will Coggin. I fully expect a similar type of hire. It could be someone like Jarrod Parks who has a connection to the program or it could be someone completely unrelated to MSU baseball. It would be incredibly ironic if we hired Stephen Head. But what I would do if it were me is I would try to maybe find someone with a background in catching. I would BEG Ed Easley to retire this year and come back to MSU because I think he would be really good at it. Or maybe someone like Mitch Slauter? But keep an open mind because this position isn't so much about fitting in the country club. It's a position for an up and comer- so it could be someone fairly obscure. So, don't get your heart set on someone and just trust Cohen to make a great choice.

basedog
06-16-2016, 05:38 PM
I totally agree. May be his best hire cause they know each other and they know what to expect.

MaroonBelle
06-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Gary Henderson is a home run for us. I know people are disappointed because Wes is all about lighting up the radar guns but to me that style is starting to overtake baseball right now, so whomever we hire is going to likely adhere to those same principles. There aren't very many pitching coaches that DON'T want their guys to light up the radar gun. Henderson is one of the best pitching coaches in the country and he was successful as a head coach in the SEC at one of the toughest places to win at in the SEC. He also had good staffs in a hitters ballpark- meaning the guys that he coaches here are likely to have even better numbers than he did at UK. I don't know how many people remember but when we hired Cohen, one of the issues was he had a large buy out clause in his contract. The way Cohen got out of it was he had to promise to not take any of his assistants from Kentucky with him to Starkville. Had that not occurred, I'm pretty sure Henderson would have been our pitching coach.

Henderson is also an elite recruiter and he has ties to Florida and the West Coast most notably. If you want to win in Omaha- you have to have elite pitching. And to get elite pitching, you need someone like a Butch, a Wes, a Henderson to get it into school and develop it. And I think him taking a step back and just being a pitching coach is going to do him some good. There are a lot less responsibilities as a pitching coach compared to being the head coach and I think both of us will benefit. Also, we have the ability to pay Henderson like a head coach if we choose too- which may lead to him staying awhile.

Promoting Coggin was a great move IMO as well. Cohen is the hitting coach- but because he has a lot of duties as the head coach he can not fully devote enough time to it and needs someone to assist him that is good. This past season that was Coggin and we went from the middle of the SEC in hitting to one of the best- and markedly improved our power numbers in the process. If you had a chance to hire a coach that had a team that was in the top three in offense, you would probably say that was a great hire? Well that's what Will did for us last year. How good of a rectuiter he is remains to be seen, but I feel confident that he will be outstanding. He recruited well as a JUCO hitting coach, so it's not completely foreign to him. He also has a lot of ties to Mississippi and Louisiana.

So, that brings us to the volunteer assistant position. Cohen has liked to hire young up and coming coaches and kind of trial runned them. He has been pretty successful doing it that way- from Nick Mingione to Jake Wells, and now Will Coggin. I fully expect a similar type of hire. It could be someone like Jarrod Parks who has a connection to the program or it could be someone completely unrelated to MSU baseball. It would be incredibly ironic if we hired Stephen Head. But what I would do if it were me is I would try to maybe find someone with a background in catching. I would BEG Ed Easley to retire this year and come back to MSU because I think he would be really good at it. Or maybe someone like Mitch Slauter? But keep an open mind because this position isn't so much about fitting in the country club. It's a position for an up and comer- so it could be someone fairly obscure. So, don't get your heart set on someone and just trust Cohen to make a great choice.

What about Nick Ammarati? Hasn't he been filling that position for a couple years on one of the lesser la school staffs? For another former player who is a coach? I always thought he was a really smart catcher, good ball player, and could easily take a leadership role.

state66
06-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Its hard to get a good assistant. A large majority of their pay checks comes from running all the camps. I dont know if you have ever attended one but those guys are running around like crazy trying to talk to everyone and run the camp at the same time. You have to get up and comers for this position. Who else would want to make little money and work your ass off.

preachermatt83
06-16-2016, 06:09 PM
My OPINION... Which isn't worth much, is that Matt Britton may be the guy. He is already some kind of volunteer bullpen guy or something.

mathistondawg
06-16-2016, 07:04 PM
My OPINION... Which isn't worth much, is that Matt Britton may be the guy. He is already some kind of volunteer bullpen guy or something.

I bet it is him

CadaverDawg
06-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Anybody checked on Rouge since the Coggin news was announced?*

Good stuff, Todd. I'll be interested to see what kind of fire Henderson has left, bc we need it in recruiting. Hope you guys are right about him being a great hire.

Commercecomet24
06-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Great write up as usual, Todd! Thanks. The only concern I have with Henderson is him wanting to leave for another head coaching gig soon. Other than that it's a home run!

War Machine Dawg
06-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Great write up as usual, Todd! Thanks. The only concern I have with Henderson is him wanting to leave for another head coaching gig soon. Other than that it's a home run!

You're worried about a guy doing so well he gets promoted? Only MSU fans are this dumb.

Commercecomet24
06-16-2016, 11:36 PM
You're worried about a guy doing so well he gets promoted? Only MSU fans are this dumb.

Back off just a sec there. I'm not worried. The guys been a head coach and probably wants to be again. I think it's great when our coaches get promoted. I just don't want another one and done just a little continuity. I may not have worded it well but I think he's a great hire. So hold up calling someone dumb. And it's not just me that's concerned, we got a couple elite commits that are concerned about that as well.

War Machine Dawg
06-16-2016, 11:52 PM
Back off just a sec there. I'm not worried. The guys been a head coach and probably wants to be again. I think it's great when our coaches get promoted. I just don't want another one and done just a little continuity. I may not have worded it well but I think he's a great hire. So hold up calling someone dumb. And it's not just me that's concerned, we got a couple elite commits that are concerned about that as well.

Fair enough. I just think continuity is a little overrated in baseball. Football is a different story.

I may have overreacted, and if so, I apologise. We just seem to have a large number of fans who seem to want all our coaches to commit to State for life for some weird reason. It just doesn't align with reality.

If Henderson winds up leaving in 2-3 years for another HC job, I'll be thrilled. Why? Because that probably means we continued the run we started this season and made the Supers and/or the CWS the next couple of years. That's a success no matter how we slice it.

Commercecomet24
06-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Fair enough. I just think continuity is a little overrated in baseball. Football is a different story.

I may have overreacted, and if so, I apologise. We just seem to have a large number of fans who seem to want all our coaches to commit to State for life for some weird reason. It just doesn't align with reality.

If Henderson winds up leaving in 2-3 years for another HC job, I'll be thrilled. Why? Because that probably means we continued the run we started this season and made the Supers and/or the CWS the next couple of years. That's a success no matter how we slice it.

No problem. Thank you for saying that. I'm in agreement with you on most of that. I wouldn't mind at all if he moves on to a hc job in a couple years or any of our coaches for that matter. I personally would just like more than one year but I understand these guys are in it to reach the pinnacle of their profession and 99% of the time it doesn't come in one stop. I'm good with it and think he's a great hire and should've probably worded it better.

Todd4State
06-17-2016, 01:52 AM
What about Nick Ammarati? Hasn't he been filling that position for a couple years on one of the lesser la school staffs? For another former player who is a coach? I always thought he was a really smart catcher, good ball player, and could easily take a leadership role.

I don't know what Ammo is doing right now but I do think he would be a good choice.

I think Preacher may be on to something about Britton though. Predictions streak taken into account.

Todd4State
06-17-2016, 02:01 AM

You are right- we want our assistants to go on and take head coaching jobs because that actually attracts other good assistant coaches. I think Henderson will stay for a few years. Coggin is an alumni but I could see him taking a D-I job when the time comes but again not for a few years.

Lane- HC at Northwestern State
Butch- HC at Auburn
Mingione- HC at Kentucky
Tyler Bratton- Assistant for MSU softball
Jake Wells- went from volunteer assistant to hitting coach at La Tech and now may move on to Alabama with Greg Goff but we'll see on that. Anyway- promoted.
Zach Dillon- Whereabouts unknown
Wes Johnson- Lateral move at best, but in his home state at a University he dreamed of coaching at and may have a chance to be the head coach there one day.
Will Coggin- Promoted to hitting coach.

So, looking at that- that is a really good track record.

Plus, if Henderson leaves, maybe we go get Ostrander who may also move to Alabama with Goff and that means that Ostrander would be even more attractive and prepared for our job than he even is now.

MarketingBully
06-17-2016, 02:07 AM
You are right- we want our assistants to go on and take head coaching jobs because that actually attracts other good assistant coaches. I think Henderson will stay for a few years. Coggin is an alumni but I could see him taking a D-I job when the time comes but again not for a few years.

Butch- HC at Auburn
Mingione- HC at Kentucky
Jake Wells- went from volunteer assistant to hitting coach at La Tech and now may move on to Alabama with Greg Goff but we'll see on that. Anyway- promoted.
Wes Johnson- Lateral move at best, but in his home state at a University he dreamed of coaching at and may have a chance to be the head coach there one day.

Plus, if Henderson leaves, maybe we go get Ostrander who may also move to Alabama with Goff and that means that Ostrander would be even more attractive and prepared for our job than he even is now.

Henderson seems like a really loyal guy. He would have been our original pitching coach had Cohen been able to take him to State. Wasn't it Cohen that recommended Henderson for the job since he couldn't take Henderson with him? I think he may be here for a while and we will benefit greatly for it.

sandjunky
06-17-2016, 06:29 AM

Butch- HC at Auburn
Mingione- HC at Kentucky

STARKVILLE, Miss. – Former Mississippi State baseball player Will Coggin has been named MSU coordinator of baseball camps, head coach John Cohen announced Wednesday. Coggin replaces Zach Dillon, who took a coaching position this past month with McLennan Community College in Waco, Texas.

From Hailstate dot com

mic
06-17-2016, 06:56 AM
Henderson's Head Coaching experience is what makes this a great hire. He will as good a pitching coach IMO as Wes and of course better than pitch , but that head coach experience makes this hire one of the best if not the best by Cohen since he has been at state.
Plus Coach Hendo will inherit a group of really good arms and young arms.. Unlike what Bonner wants everyone to believe

Once again if anyone read what that ass clown said about our returning pitching staff and still defends this slap nuts is beyond me..

MSUDawg99
06-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Henderson's Head Coaching experience is what makes this a great hire. He will as good a pitching coach IMO as Wes and of course better than pitch , but that head coach experience makes this hire one of the best if not the best by Cohen since he has been at state.
Plus Coach Hendo will inherit a group of really good arms and young arms.. Unlike what Bonner wants everyone to believe

Once again if anyone read what that ass clown said about our returning pitching staff and still defends this slap nuts is beyond me..

Apparently you read it then since you know about it? I have no idea what you're talkin about cause I didn't. Ha.

Todd4State
06-17-2016, 05:20 PM

What did he say?

No matter what he said, worst case scenario is we have a strong bullpen and a starting rotation with some high end arms that are developing and we have to piggy back guys like we did under Butch. We're not going to fall completely apart just because we're losing Hudson and Sexton despite what some Ole Miss fans would like to believe.

And if the young guys like Small, Breaux, and Pilkington turn the corner in the Cape we'll be just about as elite as we were this year. Obviously no guarantee on that at this point- but they do have higher ceilings and are further along than our last group of junior pitchers.

msbulldog
06-17-2016, 06:58 PM
What did he say?

No matter what he said, worst case scenario is we have a strong bullpen and a starting rotation with some high end arms that are developing and we have to piggy back guys like we did under Butch. We're not going to fall completely apart just because we're losing Hudson and Sexton despite what some Ole Miss fans would like to believe.

And if the young guys like Small, Breaux, and Pilkington turn the corner in the Cape we'll be just about as elite as we were this year. Obviously no guarantee on that at this point- but they do have higher ceilings and are further along than our last group of junior pitchers.

Agree, middle of the field returning (most important field positions), outfield loaded. At least 5 good hitters returning, and a ton of talented young folks (we haven't seen). We should be in the conversation in the SEC next year.