PDA

View Full Version : Henderson it is!

MSUDawg99
06-16-2016, 01:36 PM
"Breaking: Source tells @clarionledger that former UK coach Gary Henderson is close to a deal with MSU to become its new pitching coach."

Just so we're clear this was tweeted by Mike Boner. I don't follow Boner. I followed Bulldog Sports Radio who follows Boner & quote tweeted it.

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 01:42 PM
"Breaking: Source tells @clarionledger that former UK coach Gary Henderson is close to a deal with MSU to become its new pitching coach."

Just so we're clear this was tweeted by Mike Boner. I don't follow Boner. I followed Bulldog Sports Radio who follows Boner & quote tweeted it.

Oh well, guess all of Cohen's top choices turned him down.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-16-2016, 01:45 PM

it will never work..I saw where he has a 15 year old son and Starkville just aint a happening place to raise a kid. And the schools suck***

whosyourdawgy
06-16-2016, 01:47 PM
it will never work..I saw where he has a 15 year old son and Starkville just aint a happening place to raise a kid. And the schools suck***

I'm late to the party on this. I've seen all the posts like yours but what is the story here

MSUDawg99
06-16-2016, 01:52 PM
They're saying Starkville isn't good enough to keep coaches around cause they're families don't want to live here...the ones with kids.

War Machine Dawg
06-16-2016, 01:57 PM
I'll wait until someone other than the Clarion Rebel Liar reports it. And if it's ultimately true, I'll want to puke. Henderson is a huge downgrade and cut from the Butch mold of traditional pitching coach school.

MSUDawg99
06-16-2016, 01:58 PM
I'll wait until someone other than the Clarion Rebel Liar reports it. And if it's ultimately true, I'll want to puke. Henderson is a huge downgrade and cut from the Butch mold of traditional pitching coach school.

Does Joel Coleman reporting it also count? Like I said, I don't follow Boner cause he's CL & for other reasons but I do follow BSR & Joel & Ben & those guys that are confirming it.

MSUDawg99
06-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Also, saying the Coggin promotion is "official"

It_Could_Happen
06-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Good hire. I'm fine with the promotion as long as all the players like him and he can be kind of a mingone in the locker room. Who do you think we get to replace him? I know Jarrod Parks is at SA as a head coach.

whosyourdawgy
06-16-2016, 02:09 PM
They're saying Starkville isn't good enough to keep coaches around cause they're families don't want to live here...the ones with kids.

Just read the sirmon kid post and guess I'm caught up. Hell Starkville isn't for everyone. They don't like it, move the **** on far as I'm concerned. Suppose this means we will need a new DC Ina year or two then. There is competitive cheer around starkville his kids could go to. The reason they are going to Brentwood is for the son to get more exposure for football I'm taking it. But if they don't like small town USA, it ain't for everybody. I don't want starkville to be Nashville or Memphis or Atlanta or anywhere like that. It's part of what makes MSU what it is. Again, if they don't like it, tough shit. We can progress along and get better sure but Starkville isn't going to be for those that want big city comforts. Education needs to improve state wide, not just there. And whoever is saying combine starkville academy and SHS!?!!!? Really. That ain't happening anytime soon. Parents also want choices for their kids to go to school. Some are dead set on private schools That's a pipe dream

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Hopefully these hires work well. I'm not really against either but it does seem Cohen just sort of went the easy route in promoting Coggin and bringing back his old pitching coach who is now out of work. At least Cohen and Henderson already have a long standing working relationship.

GreenheadDawg
06-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Wait. I thought everyone here wanted Henderson. Is this not true?

Jarius
06-16-2016, 02:13 PM
He won the SEC with him as pitching coach at Kentucky of all places. I think it's a great hire.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-16-2016, 02:16 PM

Everyone was just connecting the dots...Cohen and him go back to UF and UK and Henderson recently left UK after being the head coach. He's got the pedigree, let's just hope he's still got the fire.

saltydawg77
06-16-2016, 02:17 PM
If this is true I'm very disappointed. I really wanted to get Christian Ostrander but hey they didn't ask me so................. HAIL STATE and GO DAWGS!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Hopefully these hires work well. I'm not really against either but it does seem Cohen just sort of went the easy route in promoting Coggin and bringing back his old pitching coach who is now out of work. At least Cohen and Henderson already have a long standing working relationship.

I agree to a point, but some guys thrive better in the specialized assistant role rather than the head coach. If Cohen hadn't have picked him, Henderson wouldn't have gone without work for long.

basedog
06-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Nothing wrong with Henderson being the pitching coach. He should be a better assistant after being HC. It's kinda like this, if you have good pitchers then he must be a good pitching coach, same with hitting.

Cohen knows what he is doing.

mic
06-16-2016, 02:29 PM
If this is true I'm very disappointed. I really wanted to get Christian Ostrander but hey they didn't ask me so................. HAIL STATE and GO DAWGS!

Then u are in the minority.. This is a great hire..

whosyourdawgy
06-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Dude. We could hire sandy Koufax as our pitching coach and somebody is gonna bitch. It's Elitedawgs You can't please everyone EVER

blacklistedbully
06-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Henderson has a great track record as a pitching coach. He will also be coming in on the heels of Wes Johnson's success in increasing our pitcher's velocity. Unless he's a stubborn SOB, he should be able to get feedback on what worked well under Wes and incorporate it into his approach.

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Nothing wrong with Henderson being the pitching coach. He should be a better assistant after being HC. It's kinda like this, if you have good pitchers then he must be a good pitching coach, same with hitting.

Cohen knows what he is doing.

And Henderson was a pretty good head coach too. He is one of the best pitching coaches in the country and he is a great recruiter.

basedog
06-16-2016, 02:38 PM
And Henderson was a pretty good head coach too. He is one of the best pitching coaches in the country and he is a great recruiter.

Also having worked with Cohen he knows the system, I bet Cohen lets Henderson do what he wants with the pitchers.

Can't understand why folks think this isn't a good hire?

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Also having worked with Cohen he knows the system, I bet Cohen lets Henderson do what he wants with the pitchers.

Can't understand why folks think this isn't a good hire?

I'm good with the hire. I guess my only negative is when I think KY pitching I can't really think of any elite ones. Maybe my memory is not that great though.

basedog
06-16-2016, 03:01 PM
I'm good with the hire. I guess my only negative is when I think KY pitching I can't really think of any elite ones. Maybe my memory is not that great though.

It's a hitters park for sure. Dudy Noble is more of a pitchers park, they say.

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Alex Meyer and James Paxton recently.

I'm glad you brought up the point about Kentucky's stadium- despite that their ERA is usually more than respectable.

It_Could_Happen
06-16-2016, 03:33 PM

Was Reed the kid they had a few years ago who pitched and hit and won like player of the year?

bulldogcountry1
06-16-2016, 03:36 PM
Dude. We could hire sandy Koufax as our pitching coach and somebody is gonna bitch. It's Elitedawgs You can't please everyone EVER

Sandy Koufax is 80 years old! He could never cut it on the recruiting trail.

msstate7
06-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Was Reed the kid they had a few years ago who pitched and hit and won like player of the year?

Yeah. He's a 1b for Astros AAA team

preachermatt83
06-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Now that I made a correct "prediction" (guess) can someone please change my sig. ?