PDA

View Full Version : Sounding like we gonna promote

Coach34
06-16-2016, 08:23 AM
Coggin to replace Ming. Henderson is not Cohen's top choice to be PC. Some others would have to turn it down for Henderson to be the guy

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Not surprising about Coggin. We did that with Mingione after Lane left plus Will did a great job with our hitters. Plus it's probably easier to find an up and comer by bringing them in first and seeing how they do as the volunteer assistant.

Cohen must have someone very specific in mind for the pitching coach job.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-16-2016, 08:34 AM
I am ok with that. Our hitting was much improved and he is a guy that will stick around for a while. Will be interesting to see the list of candidates for PC.

ETDawg
06-16-2016, 08:34 AM
If it is someone whose team is playing in the CWS then it may not be announced until after the CWS is over

Dawg61
06-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Freddy Gonzalez

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Any idea what kind of recruiter Coggin will be? As we've stated, Cohen is going to be the primary guy that dictates our hitting but we have to make sure that we keep our recruiting at a high level.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-16-2016, 08:59 AM
From his Bio:

Coggin comes to Starkville after serving as an assistant coach the past three years at St. Johns River State College in Palatka, Florida. While there, the Booneville, Mississippi, native helped lead the Vikings to a 122-42 overall record (.744), including a 57-14 mark (.803) inside the Mid-Florida Conference. The 122 wins from 2013-15 were the most by a Florida junior college. After being ranked as high as 18th nationally in 2013 and fourth in the country in 2014 by Perfect Game, the Vikings earned a No. 1 ranking for much of this past spring.

Serving as the SJRSC third base coach and recruiting coordinator, Coggin was part of a 2015 squad which won a school-record 47 games (47-10), surpassing the previous mark of 38 set in 2013. The Vikings won their third straight Mid-Florida Conference championship this past spring, accomplishing the feat for the first time since 1966-68. Coggin also helped lead SJRSC to its first Florida State Tournament win in 38 years, finishing the season first in the Florida junior college ranks in wins, runs, home runs, RBIs, walks, on-base percentage and total bases.

“Everyone at St. Johns River is happy for Will,” SJRSC head coach Ross Jones said. “Coach Coggin did an outstanding job for us and was a relentless worker. He was a tremendous asset to our program the last three years and will be missed.”

Individually, Coggin was instrumental in player development, recruiting & coaching 25 players who went on to sign with Division I programs. A total of 45 players signed NLI's to four-year universities during his tenure at SJRSC. Included in that number is first baseman Nathaniel Lowe, a Mississippi State signee who earned NJCAA First-Team All-American honors as a first baseman in 2015 after hitting .372 with 59 runs, 53 RBIs and 17 home runs in 56 games.

Political Hack
06-16-2016, 10:04 AM
I think we should hire Smoot.

MarketingBully
06-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Disappointing to me as recruiting was really not Cohen's weakness. I guess we should just accept the status quo here. Nothing against Coggins and he has done a good job but this was a chance to get a recruiter/developer not just a recruiter. Guess we will not get either Henderson or Gaspard which would have been upgrades from their counterparts.

bulldogcountry1
06-16-2016, 10:09 AM
I trust Cohen with this decision, and it fits the profile of a guy who would hang around for a while. You can't argue with the hitting results. I just hope he is tireless recruiter.

I'm excited to see a different moo moo in the third base box, too.

preachermatt83
06-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Coggin to replace Ming. Henderson is not Cohen's top choice to be PC. Some others would have to turn it down for Henderson to be the guy

Any word on who the guys are? I'm assuming the guy from Cal St Fullerton will be top target again?

CadaverDawg
06-16-2016, 10:25 AM
If it is someone whose team is playing in the CWS then it may not be announced until after the CWS is over

Great point. I can think of a few that would be great candidates that are currently in the CWS.

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 10:29 AM
I think Will is going to be an upgrade. He had a lot to do with our offense this past season which was our best under Cohen. Cohen can only recruit so much himself with his head coaching responsibilities.

We had five hitters drafted this year and a freshman that hit .400. I'm not sure how much better our development has to get.

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Any word on who the guys are? I'm assuming the guy from Cal St Fullerton will be top target again?

If he really turned us down once he probably would again. Unless the regional was an epiphany for him. Also that kind of got out of hand by it being leaked and Gene nerding out over it at Harvey's.

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 10:33 AM
I think Will is going to be an upgrade. He had a lot to do with our offense this past season which was our best under Cohen. Cohen can only recruit so much himself with his head coaching responsibilities.

We had five hitters drafted this year and a freshman that hit .400. I'm not sure how much better our development has to get.

Well, if nothing else, he has to be an upgrade as a 3rd base coach.

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 10:34 AM
I think we should hire Smoot.

Mike Justice.

ScoobaDawg
06-16-2016, 11:28 AM
If he really turned us down once he probably would again. Unless the regional was an epiphany for him. Also that kind of got out of hand by it being leaked and Gene nerding out over it at Harvey's.

Well it was at a bad time of the year to walk away from a team also. Maybe he didn't want to abandon a team a couple months before the season begins and after crucial time to install his philosphy. Maybe he didn't want to move his family if he has one mid school year. Summer would be better. Or maybe he really wasn't interested. Who knows.

whosyourdawgy
06-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Disappointing to me as recruiting was really not Cohen's weakness. I guess we should just accept the status quo here. Nothing against Coggins and he has done a good job but this was a chance to get a recruiter/developer not just a recruiter. Oh well. Guess we will not get either Henderson or Gaspard which would have been upgrades from their counterparts. Oh well.

Holy Hell! Did I miss the asterisks here or are you being serious? Good Lord. Nobody has even been hired yet and the damn sky is falling already. Wow.

MarketingBully
06-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Holy Hell! Did I miss the asterisks here or are you being serious? Good Lord. Nobody has even been hired yet and the damn sky is falling already. Wow.

Sky is not falling but this shows that Cohen rather go this route then get a Gaspard or a Henderson to immediately take advantage of the talent that we have accumulated. Hopefully, we get Henderson as our pitching coach. We at least need to grab one of them.

ETDawg
06-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Great point. I can think of a few that would be great candidates that are currently in the CWS.

Exactly. And I hope at least one is interested in us.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Sky is not falling but this shows that Cohen rather go this route then get a Gaspard or a Henderson to immediately take advantage of the talent that we have accumulated. Hopefully, we get Henderson as our pitching coach. We at least need to grab one of them.

Coggin did a very good job this year & knows the blueprint to how we recruit. Gaspard or Henderson aren't the only guys who can take advantage of our talent. They are just 2 of the guys who can.

preachermatt83
06-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Serious question ... Why do ppl want Gespard? I'm honestly curious as to what I'm missing.

Backwoodsdawg
06-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Serious question ... Why do ppl want Gespard? I'm honestly curious as to what I'm missing.

Was about to ask same question.

Todd4State
06-16-2016, 12:30 PM

I think it's more speculation as a fit for our program. He's a good coach but as I and others have said Coggin is a good fit as well and seeing how Cohen has handled this position this is not a surprise at all.

And I actually like Coggin as a choice as much or better than Gaspard.

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Was about to ask same question.

Guess I will side with this sentiment. Unless Gespard is a lights out recruiter I didn't see anything out of the Alabama offense this year that would make me want him as a hitting coach.

Backwoodsdawg
06-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Guess I will side with this sentiment. Unless Gespard is a lights out recruiter I didn't see anything out of the Alabama offense this year that would make me want him as a hitting coach.

Yeah I agree they only had a couple of players hitting over .300 when we played them earlier. I believe Andy Phillips was the closest thing they have to a recruiter too so I don't know what the fascination with him is.

whosyourdawgy
06-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Well Bonner is saying Henderson is about to be our next pitching coach. Coach pulled a preacherman prediction it appears

Breaking: Source tells @clarionledger that former UK coach Gary Henderson is close to a deal with MSU to become its new pitching coach.

whosyourdawgy
06-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Now you don't have to be disappointed

BulldogBear
06-16-2016, 04:20 PM
I know I've been busy for several days, but apparently I missed a big one. What happened to Wes Johnson?

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 04:47 PM
I know I've been busy for several days, but apparently I missed a big one. What happened to Wes Johnson?

He's apparently finally shrank into nothingness and we can't find him.***

Now that he has left us high and dry I don't mind joining in on the jokes.

MarketingBully
06-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Now you don't have to be disappointed

Now we have three SEC COY's on our baseball staff between Henderson and Cohen. You guys don't know how big a get this guy is. He is probably the best pitching coach in the country. I'd expect big things from our freshmen and sophomores with this guy leading the charge.

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Now we have three SEC COY's on our baseball staff between Henderson and Cohen. You guys don't know how big a get this guy is. He is probably the best pitching coach in the country. I'd expect big things from our freshmen and sophomores with this guy leading the charge.

Wait, I thought we just lost the best pitching coach in the country.***

MarketingBully
06-16-2016, 04:56 PM
And in all honesty this is the guy we would have gotten if he had resigned the year before instead of Johnson. Cohen works very well with Henderson and they trust and know each other very well.

MarketingBully
06-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Wait, I thought we just lost the best pitching coach in the country.***

Johnson is a great pitching coach no doubt but was not the best in the country and wasn't a recruiter either.