PDA

View Full Version : Prediction thread

PMDawg
08-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Ok, so this is early, but I think now is a good time. There is a ton of debate about who is the better RB once you get past LDP. So, before the first game this year, predict who our starting RB is NEXT year ('14). We have a lot of solid backs, but do we have a true starter next year? I know we will likely RBBC, but theres always going to be a guy that leads the pack and pushes 1,000 yards. Who will it be? The choices:

Josh Robinson, aka The Bowling Ball. Looks good between the tackles in a limited role. Short, thick, low pads and deceptive speed. But is he an every down back? Does he have enough speed to be effective outside the tackles? Can he pass block well enough to be an every down back?

Derrick Milton. Has also proven to be effective off the bench. High ypc, better top end speed than Jrob. Good hands out of the backfield, good vision, seems to be a good pass blocker. However, he seems a little thin for running inside and has had issues with holding onto the ball at times.

Nick Griffin. A bit of a wildcard. He has the best combination of size and speed out of all the guys mentioned so far. Has shown flashes of being a stud. However, he's blown out a knee, what, 3 of the last 4 years? The one season he was healthy, he ran timid and did not trust his knees. He tried to keep from getting hurt. If he was 100% healthy his entire career, he may already be the starting RB. Will he ever reach his full potential and stay healthy?

Ashton Shumpert. The true wildcard. A true freshman this year who looked a lock to redshirt due to the depth at RB as outlined above. However, the coaches are having a hard time keeping him off the field so far. He seems to be exceeding expectations at this point. None of us have seen him take a college snap yet, but his legend grows. Giving 4 RBs meaningful snaps throughout the season is quite a task. Can he really make it 5? All reports indicate that he will not redshirt. Is he our Marcus Lattimore, Michael Dyer, or Gurley/Marshall (minus the injuries, legal issues, terrible nicknames, etc)?

So, who you got?

BhamDawg
08-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I haven't seen Shump play, so I'll leave him out.

Of the other three, a 100% healthy Nick Griffin, all day long.

IMO, he has the best vision of the three and can actually break tackles on a consistent basis. Every time he gets it, he has the ability to take it to the house.

Boodawg
08-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Agree with Bham

Behrdawg
08-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Shumpert is left out. Havent seen him play yet.

Nick Griffin all day as long as he is healthy. He reminds me a lot of JJ Johnson....ohhhh those were the days

Bear
08-22-2013, 11:36 AM
I can see Jrob as a every down back and starting next year. I can also say the same for Nick. I think Nick (if healthy) will start next year. I think there will be more split duty next year because all these guys have talent.

Barking 13
08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
put 'em in a bag, shake, and pour 'em out.... but I lean toward Josh.. but if Nick is healthy, we'll still have this "problem" next year (with Shump in the mix) not a bad place to be....

smootness
08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
put 'em in a bag, shake, and pour 'em out.... but I lean toward Josh.. but if Nick is healthy. we'll still have this "problem" next year (with Shump in the mix) not a bad place to be....

Totally agree. I would be comfortable with any of the 4 starting for us, especially given that I would know they beat out the other 3. Derrick Milton gets left out a lot when talking about a possible lead back, and I get that, but he could carry the load if we needed him to. He just has really good instincts...not an overwhelming amount of natural attributes that pop out at you, just seems to know how to find space and get yards.

PMDawg
08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I think J-Rob wins the job. I wish the best for Griffin, and will be happy if he wins it but he has been so unlucky to this point.

DawgNDCity
08-22-2013, 02:04 PM
us run some more two back sets like we did with Dixon and Ducre in Mullen's first year when we had the wishbone look out of shotgun. Get the best talent on the field and give ourselves more threats to run. I know we are talking about 2014 but with Tyler being a minimal threat to run it seems like we need someone else back there for the defense to have to account for. Run, Run, Run, to open up the passing game because we know that Tyler can really throw and then also use these talented backs in the short passing game, which is where we have all noticed that Perkins has shined in the past. If one of our WR's can establish a consistent deep threat then that's really gonna help out.

Coach34
08-22-2013, 02:09 PM

I predict JRob as the starter
with Shump #2,
Griffin #3,
Aeris Williams #4
Milton transfers to NW St close to home
Dontavian Lee redshirts

Bullmutt
08-22-2013, 02:35 PM
PM, did you intentionally exclude Holloway? I say Robinson.

Homedawg
08-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I think Jrob runs the zone the best and griffin runs the counter the best. Either way we have some good choices.

Political Hack
08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
JRob and I don't think it's close.

BulldawgNation
08-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Shump starts out this season 4th on the depth charts.. He'll be #2 by the end of the season.. He will undoubtedly be the feature running back starting next year until he leaves school.. I understand that most of you haven't seen much of him... believe me when I say that he is a forced to be reckoned with...

hacker
08-22-2013, 07:55 PM

I predict JRob as the starter
with Shump #2,
Griffin #3,
Aeris Williams #4
Milton transfers to NW St close to home
Dontavian Lee redshirts

This is roughly what I think will happen. I don't know if Milton will transfer, but he'll be fourth or lower.

Coach34
08-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Shump starts out this season 4th on the depth charts.. He'll be #2 by the end of the season.. He will undoubtedly be the feature running back starting next year until he leaves school.. I understand that most of you haven't seen much of him... believe me when I say that he is a forced to be reckoned with...

If Shump starts over JRob- then our backfield along with Dak will be exceptional. Not to mention Staley getting some reps also most likely

Political Hack
08-22-2013, 08:57 PM
JRob is as close to MJD as you're going to get in the SEC this year.

I do think Shump and JRob will be the two main backs next year, but Griffin is going to be hard to keep from getting snaps too if he's 100% healthy.

Pollodawg
08-22-2013, 09:26 PM
If Shump starts over JRob- then our backfield along with Dak will be exceptional. Not to mention Staley getting some reps also most likely

This for next season? You don't think Staley will redshirt?

Coach34
08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
This for next season? You don't think Staley will redshirt?

I think Staley will overtake Williams and the other kid we are going to sign. And we will have to play the QB some because Dak is going to get dinged up on an occasion or two. Could Williams hold them off? Possibly, the kid is a winner and doing well I hear. But Staley just has that talent you look for in a dual threat- and I would go ahead and start getting him experience

Pollodawg
08-22-2013, 09:38 PM
I think Staley will overtake Williams and the other kid we are going to sign. And we will have to play the QB some because Dak is going to get dinged up on an occasion or two. Could Williams hold them off? Possibly, the kid is a winner and doing well I hear. But Staley just has that talent you look for in a dual threat- and I would go ahead and start getting him experience

Will we have anybody who can report on Staley's first game tomorrow? I am excited to see how he does. But I have heard that Williams kid is a winner, like you say. He as a lot of heart, and I think he has a pretty good arm to.

PMDawg
08-22-2013, 11:05 PM
PM, did you intentionally exclude Holloway? I say Robinson.

Yes, he's a slot receiver who will take a few handoffs