PDA

View Full Version : Any good info on who's staying and who's signing?

Bucky Dog
06-15-2016, 09:51 PM
I will start out by saying I have heard from a very good source that Rooker is coming back, not surprised, and Kruger is as well.

According to the Clarion Liar, the other 9 are gone! So it must be true!!

I still really think both Sexton and Houston should come back. Sexton won't get shit for signing this year and he can only improve his draft status next year. Houston has some bargaining power to try and get a bigger bonus than a normal 10th rounder this year. If he gets his number he is gone. But I really think he can come back, be a Friday starter and continue to hit mid to upper 90's and develop another pitch. He can get to the top 3 rounds for sure if he stays healthy.

I do think all the others ar gone for sure now, but maybe Lowe wants to enjoy another year! Here's hoping!

Commercecomet24
06-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Houston is gone for sure.

Coach34
06-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Rook and Kruger only 2 returning it looks like

Commercecomet24
06-15-2016, 10:07 PM

I believe you are correct, sir.

Bass Chaser
06-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Lowe tweeted earlier he's ready to start with the Rays.

Coach34
06-15-2016, 10:14 PM
1. Soriano aka Magnum CF
2. Cody Brown LF
3. Kruger DH/C
4. Rooker RF
5. Gordon 1B
6. 3rd baseman
7. Marrero C/DH
8. Gridley SS
9. Stovall 2B

That wouldnt be a bad line-up especially with the pitching we have. But we have a few more guys that will contend for playing time and/or start. If our young pitching develops as it should- we are a solid 2 seed at worst next year

Bucky Dog
06-15-2016, 10:15 PM
Well, I was hopeful that we could keep 1-2 of Houston, Sexton and Lowe. I get it but these guys need to get that free college degree and realize less than 2% of those drafted ever see the majors. Have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out after 3-4 years.

rolodawg
06-15-2016, 10:18 PM
I don't think many of our players are getting a "free college degree". Highly discounted, possibly.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2016, 10:20 PM
You don't have to worry about, Zac. Dad has extremely successful insurance agency that he will be involved in if the baseball gig doesn't work out. I do agree that the education for those that don't have that To fall back on is crucial.

Coach34
06-15-2016, 10:20 PM
Well, I was hopeful that we could keep 1-2 of Houston, Sexton and Lowe. I get it but these guys need to get that free college degree and realize less than 2% of those drafted ever see the majors. Have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out after 3-4 years.

baseball players pay for at least half of their tuition

Bucky Dog
06-15-2016, 10:21 PM
I don't think many of our players are getting a "free college degree". Highly discounted, possibly.

It's called work study, citizenship and academic scholarships!

rolodawg
06-15-2016, 10:47 PM
It's called work study, citizenship and academic scholarships!

If they get these scholarships, then why all the bitching about having unfair scholarship limitations? Not trying to say you bitching, but just in general....

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 11:24 PM
If they get these scholarships, then why all the bitching about having unfair scholarship limitations? Not trying to say you bitching, but just in general....

Because it's not fair that baseball players have to piece and cobble scholarship money together while other sports get free rides including books, room and board, fees, and then whatever else comes with it- (meals?)

Baseball should be allowed to give out 28 scholarships. The other 7 could be walk-ons with the ability to earn academic or whatever scholarships.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2016, 11:33 PM
Because it's not fair that baseball players have to piece and cobble scholarship money together while other sports get free rides including books, room and board, fees, and then whatever else comes with it- (meals?)

Baseball should be allowed to give out 28 scholarships. The other 7 could be walk-ons with the ability to earn academic or whatever scholarships.

Amen to this! It pisses me off to no end that baseball gets screwed on scholarships!

ShotgunDawg
06-16-2016, 12:16 AM

Title 9

To make Title 9 fair IMO, football should be removed from the equation. Because football gets 85 schollies, every other men's sport is descriminated against. Football makes all the money and is the benefactor for the other sports. Title 9 would be much fairer to non football playing male athletes, if football were removed from the equation. Then just match up men's and women's equally from there. Softball has 16 schollies for goodness sakes and it's the same sport as baseball except you only need like three pitchers, whereas is baseball you need 4 times that many.

Bucky Dog
06-16-2016, 06:35 AM

I think Todd answered the question correctly. It can be mostly free but a pain in the ass for staff, admin, and players to find every dollar available, whereas the others just walk through the door. The point was these goes leaving, give that up once they sign and I'm not sure how many will go back to school to finish their degree after not making it in MLB. I would hope most of them would.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2016, 08:25 AM
If a kid can sign for $200k+, even if he doesn't make it, he can pay to go back and get his degree with money left over.

ETDawg
06-16-2016, 08:33 AM
BLB: not really. The bonus is a 5-7 yr contract. If he leaves on his on accord, a pro-rata part of that must be paid back. Also, the bonus will be used to supplement his nominal wages. Not to mention, the possible new truck/car that more than likely will be purchased and then income tax (and maybe state tax) on the bonus.

Now, if you are a high enough pick, you "may" can get some/all of your college paid for BUT for many, it is difficult to get back in the swing of being a student at 25 although it is done by others

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 08:47 AM
Title 9

To make Title 9 fair IMO, football should be removed from the equation. Because football gets 85 schollies, every other men's sport is descriminated against. Football makes all the money and is the benefactor for the other sports. Title 9 would be much fairer to non football playing male athletes, if football were removed from the equation. Then just match up men's and women's equally from there. Softball has 16 schollies for goodness sakes and it's the same sport as baseball except you only need like three pitchers, whereas is baseball you need 4 times that many.

Not to get too technical with all of this but I've often wondered if Title 9 forces colleges to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to both men and women why do they not force them to provide equal academic scholarships to both men and women? Yes, I understand men and women are not put together the same way physically and don't compete against each other but its a scientific fact that male and female brains are not put together the exact same way either. Just seems like if "fairness" is the goal that all scholarships would have to be spread equally among male and females, not just athletic scholarships. Heck, just by number, there are not nearly as many females vying for athletic scholarship as males because there is not a high % of females that participate or even like sports.

MSUDawg99
06-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Correct. They are signed up to play summer ball.

DogDaddy
06-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Signed up to play summer ball or not, they have until July 15 to sign. So it's conceivable, albeit not likely, that they could both still sign and go. I'm sure it will all come down to $$ for both.

Count Istvan Teleky
06-16-2016, 09:54 AM
all this talk about scholarship limitations and Title IX is going to awaken Ron Polk so he can start over on his crusade.

It is what it is and it is not fair.

AlSwearengen
06-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Signed up to play summer ball or not, they have until July 15 to sign. So it's conceivable, albeit not likely, that they could both still sign and go. I'm sure it will all come down to $$ for both.

Rooker can play next year and still have leverage after he gets drafted (he will be drafted again without doubt, possibly higher). I thought we might keep Kruger b/c of all of the talk about him being extremely smart. If I had to guess, with his family being from Cali. and with him being a brainiac, his parents probably don't hurt for money (dad and mom are probably pretty sharp also).

Where we (Cohen and Butch) screwed up was not redshirting Houston his freshman year. His dad told me before this season that they didn't plan on being at State another year. It all comes back to the leverage thing. Unless kids basically have a trust fund, it is bad business for them to come back.