PDA

View Full Version : Let's get some baseball names out here...

CadaverDawg
06-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Give me your top 2-3 choices for replacing Mini Me and Mingione.

I heard Mingione was late to his press conference bc he got thrown out at the plate, by the way.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/vmartscurred.gif

shoeless joe
06-15-2016, 05:27 PM
I like the thought of gaspard, could take or leave Henderson. I know that it is absolutely not gonna happen but I would throw a ton of money (baseball speaking) at Burroughs if he'd come back. Love that guy. If c34 ever gets his wish that's who I'd think we should pursue.

msstate7
06-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Fredi Gonzalez is available**

Really I want Henderson and gaspard

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Hilarious burn on Mingione.

But my three choices would be:

Pitching Coach

Gary Henderson- I know there is some worry about him being burned out- but I think he is burned out from being a head coach. I think stepping back and just being a pitching coach could help him and us out. Henderson is still considered one of the elite pitching coaches in the country and is also an elite recruiter. There is a reason why Team USA had him coaching the Collegiate National Team in 2015. He knows the SEC from being at Florida and Kentucky, but one thing a lot of people may not realize is he was also at Oregon State and was one of the lead recruiters that built their NC teams in 2006 and 2007. He has a great relationship with Cohen.

Christian Ostrander- Very respected pitching coach in Mississippi baseball circles. He was at La Tech this past year and he was the head coach at Jones Junior College and Gulfport and has been the pitching coach at Arkansas State and Delta State before that. He knows Mississippi and Louisiana very well and would help us to continue to dominate recruiting in Mississippi.

Frank Anderson- He is the pitching coach at Houston and they were number two in the nation in ERA this year and were number one in 2014. He was the head coach at Oklahoma State and he was the pitching coach at Texas under Augie Garrido when they won the NC. Being from Texas, he is likely very familiar with the Nolan Ryan/Brent Strom/Wes Johnson philosophy.

"Hitting coach"

Turtle Thomas- he was fired today from FIU as their head coach but he is one of the best recruiters in the country and is considered a very good hitting coach. He has been at Miami, LSU, and Arizona State and he had a good bit of success at FIU. Lots of ties to Florida, Louisiana, and out west.

Mitch Gaspard- Good head coach at Alabama who was Jim Wells top assistant at Alabama for years and their lead recruiter that built some CWS teams in the 1990's. Very close relationship with Cohen and also played for Skip Bertman at LSU.

Will Coggin- I thought he did a really good job with our hitters this year and I think he could be a rising star over the next few years. If that happens, I would hire someone like a Jarrod Parks to be the next assistant coach in waiting.

preachermatt83
06-15-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm not a Gaspard fan at all. Like Henderson and I'm with Todd on Anderson.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 06:31 PM
And my bonus picks:

For hitting coach:

Kevin Schnall from Coastal Carolina. He is their hitting coach and they had one of the top home run hitting teams in the country- but they also had some guys that stole quite a few bases and they could bunt pretty well too. The question is would he leave his alma mater for a SEC powerhouse? It wouldn't be the worst decision ever. He was also at UCF before CCU and he has a reputation for being a very good recruiter.

For pitching coach:

Skylar Meade from Michigan State. They were third in the country in ERA behind Cal State Fullerton and Houston. Meade was at Middle Tennessee State before he was at Michigan State and he also did a good job at EIU. Used to play at Louisville. Very young pitching coach but seems to be very promising.

ScottH
06-15-2016, 06:34 PM

Pitching Coach

Gary Henderson- I know there is some worry about him being burned out- but I think he is burned out from being a head coach. I think stepping back and just being a pitching coach could help him and us out. Henderson is still considered one of the elite pitching coaches in the country and is also an elite recruiter. There is a reason why Team USA had him coaching the Collegiate National Team in 2015. He knows the SEC from being at Florida and Kentucky, but one thing a lot of people may not realize is he was also at Oregon State and was one of the lead recruiters that built their NC teams in 2006 and 2007. He has a great relationship with Cohen.

Christian Ostrander- Very respected pitching coach in Mississippi baseball circles. He was at La Tech this past year and he was the head coach at Jones Junior College and Gulfport and has been the pitching coach at Arkansas State and Delta State before that. He knows Mississippi and Louisiana very well and would help us to continue to dominate recruiting in Mississippi.

Frank Anderson- He is the pitching coach at Houston and they were number two in the nation in ERA this year and were number one in 2014. He was the head coach at Oklahoma State and he was the pitching coach at Texas under Augie Garrido when they won the NC. Being from Texas, he is likely very familiar with the Nolan Ryan/Brent Strom/Wes Johnson philosophy.

"Hitting coach"

Turtle Thomas- he was fired today from FIU as their head coach but he is one of the best recruiters in the country and is considered a very good hitting coach. He has been at Miami, LSU, and Arizona State and he had a good bit of success at FIU. Lots of ties to Florida, Louisiana, and out west.

Mitch Gaspard- Good head coach at Alabama who was Jim Wells top assistant at Alabama for years and their lead recruiter that built some CWS teams in the 1990's. Very close relationship with Cohen and also played for Skip Bertman at LSU.

Will Coggin- I thought he did a really good job with our hitters this year and I think he could be a rising star over the next few years. If that happens, I would hire someone like a Jarrod Parks to be the next assistant coach in waiting.

As expected excellent list by T4S.

I'd make a run at Brad Bohannon also. Yeah yeah I know Butch and all. But it's Auburn. Screw em.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 06:38 PM
I like promoting Coggin too. When things are going well, promote from within. I would like hiring Henderson but I don't think he had much to do with Oregon State's titles. He was gone well before then.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2016, 06:46 PM

Pitching Coach

"Hitting coach"

Ostrander would be a great hire! I know him from his time here at jcjc. Great coach. Knowledgeable, old school hardcore who doesn't put up
with any bs. His players love him.

msbulldog
06-15-2016, 07:00 PM
As always good read Todd, like to get Henderson as pitching coach. He and Cohen obviously have a great rapport, Cohen recommended him as his replacement at Kentucky. He has a good record of success at Kentucky, a school that was not a good baseball school before they got there. Sounds like a good recruiter too.

AlSwearengen
06-15-2016, 08:20 PM
I've been waiting for a post like this. Very informative.

confucius say
06-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Give me a great pitching guy to replace Wes and an elite recruiter to replace mingione. Cohen is going to control the hitting for the most part

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 08:46 PM
As expected excellent list by T4S.

I'd make a run at Brad Bohannon also. Yeah yeah I know Butch and all. But it's Auburn. Screw em.

Bohannon would be a great choice.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 08:54 PM
I like promoting Coggin too. When things are going well, promote from within. I would like hiring Henderson but I don't think he had much to do with Oregon State's titles. He was gone well before then.

Henderson wasn't there when they won. But he was the lead recruiter that brought in the guys that won. That's impressive because Oregon State wasn't even on the college baseball map when he was there and it shows that Henderson has a good eye for talent and evaluation skills. So, in that case it was more about Henderson's recruiting than coaching ability.

Recruiting isn't easy at Kentucky either too.

I can definitely see Cohen going young up and coming possibly. Although Lane and Butch were well established coaches when he brought them in. Mingione worked his way up from within our program and Wes was really the only one that Cohen brought in that I would call an up and coming coach. Recruiting will be a big priority for Cohen so it will be interesting to see which direction he goes. My guess is he will go the "more established" route with the pitching coach hire and then maybe go young with the hitting coach.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Ostrander would be a great hire! I know him from his time here at jcjc. Great coach. Knowledgeable, old school hardcore who doesn't put up
with any bs. His players love him.

I agree. He has only been at La Tech for a year I think and turned them into a solid unit. Personality wise he sounds like Wes.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2016, 09:05 PM
I agree. He has only been at La Tech for a year I think and turned them into a solid unit. Personality wise he sounds like Wes.

He's extremely impressive. Likes his pitchers to be very aggressive and attack hitters. Straight up and very frank. He pushes his pitchers to get the most out of their talent. Developing pitchers will not be a problem with Christian. He doesn't have the experience like some others but that would not be a detriment with him. He's extremely confident. Oh and how big a star you are doesn't mean squat to him lol.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-16-2016, 07:21 AM
I posted this in another thread...

What about Daniel Latham at Southeastern Louisiana? http://www.lionsports.net/coaches.as...&path=baseball

#8 in Team ERA this season

On the way to an historic 2014 season that ended with the Lions returning to NCAA Regional play for the first time in 20 years, Southeastern compiled a 2.92 ERA (third best in the Southland and 27th nationally). The staff also led the conference with a 2.51 strikeout-to-walk ratio (27th nationally), was second with six shutouts (40th nationally) and third (55th nationally) with a WHIP of 1.28.

In 2013 he helped produce a pair of Freshman All-Americans, marking the second-consecutive season a Lion has been so honored, as Louisville Slugger tabbed pitcher Mason Klotz and catcher/first baseman Jameson Fisher was named to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association squad.

A closer while a four-year member of the Green Wave baseball squad, Latham recorded 13 career wins and racked up a school-record 43 saves (sixth-most in NCAA history) during his time in the Crescent City. His 122 career appearance, 121 in relief, ranks second all-time for Tulane and sixth in Conference USA history. Latham’s 121 career relief appearances are the 15th-highest total in NCAA history.

Pretty damn impressive resume...every new job that he has taken has resulted in lowered ERA and he has that closer's mentality. Any of you guys in the baseball world know much about him?

CadaverDawg
06-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Good stuff. I'm intrigued by Ostrander. I wonder if Cohen will have him on the interview list? Sounds like the type of guy that, if given a face to face, could catch Cohen's interest in the interview stages

Commercecomet24
06-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Good stuff. I'm intrigued by Ostrander. I wonder if Cohen will have him on the interview list? Sounds like the type of guy that, if given a face to face, could catch Cohen's interest in the interview stages

Yeah talk to Ostrander one time and you will be incredibly impressed and then watch him coach. He would be s great fit. Don't know if he will get a shot but the staff would be in great hands with him.

Backwoodsdawg
06-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Fredi Gonzalez is available**

Really I want Henderson and gaspard

Clear out some of your private messages so I can respond to yours. :cool:

msstate7
06-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Clear out some of your private messages so I can respond to yours. :cool:
Done

saltydawg77
06-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Well I'm from Gulfport and I will tell you first hand Christian Ostrander can flat out coach! He played a huge roll in developing a little guy by the name of Jonathan Holder! While he was the head coach at Gulfport High School. Unbelievable baseball coach that knows this area! I sure hope we can get him. It would be an amazing hire if we did! HAIL STATE!