PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss baseball luck continues.......

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 12:35 PM
First of all, how do 4 or 5 of the Dandy Dozen just happen to end up in one small town, the exact small town that Ole Miss resides? I mean, we are ready to steamroll past them now that McDonnell and Godwin ain't walking through the door, and all Godwin's croots are now about to sign pro contracts. They were just about done, then they luck into 4 high level players who all just happened to be on one MS 5A team in their backyard. I mean, MSU cleaned up the rest of the state as well as stole their Memphis connections, and this still happens. At least Bianco Jr. has sense enough to get out of town.

And yes, I say they have been lucky, because they were a regional team at best all year. Lucked into hosting, then their true colors showed.

Douchiest sports program in the SEC. Followed closely by Texas A&M (football AND baseball)

Coach34
06-15-2016, 12:48 PM
That was done by design and connections with Perfect Game

maroonmania
06-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Great, so now they are providing housing for families of baseball signees as well?**

ShotgunDawg
06-15-2016, 12:56 PM
To add: Ole Miss dodged huge bullets in the draft. Ryan Rollison and Ethridge are both Friday night caliber pitchers and Kessinger and the catcher are both quality players as well. Ole Miss going to be good.

As for us, we can't keep a quality, young assistant coach in Starkville because the high school is across the street from a housing project.

Jack Lambert
06-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Great, so now they are providing housing for families of baseball signees as well?**

Hell they were busted cheating in women basketball. You know good and well they are cheating at baseball.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Why any pitcher would go to Ole Miss is beyond me. There is a repeated history of arm injuries and guys not being developed.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Where are all those guys from? I notice the Clarion Ledger has certainly been hyping them up:

We don't give CL CLICKS/

maroonmania
06-15-2016, 01:02 PM
To add: Ole Miss dodged huge bullets in the draft. Ryan Rollison and Ethridge are both Friday night caliber pitchers and Kessinger and the catcher are both quality players as well. Ole Miss going to be good.

As for us, we can't keep a quality, young assistant coach in Starkville because the high school is across the street from a housing project.

Well, we did well for potential future SEC starters ourselves. We will definitely get Mitch Miller and Riley Self and if we hold onto Ashcraft that's 3 pitchers with very high ceilings coming to school.

lefty96
06-15-2016, 01:04 PM

FFS, Johnson didn't leave b/c of the goddamm highschool. The fact he moved isn't directly on the Starkville public schools.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 01:05 PM

It does seem that their Orlando well has dried up. But yeah, I agree.

You're an idiot on Johnson. The guy is just going home.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 01:06 PM
Why any pitcher would go to Ole Miss is beyond me. There is a repeated history of arm injuries and guys not being developed.

Bianco has done very well with pitchers. Not sure what you're talking about.

ShotgunDawg
06-15-2016, 01:15 PM
FFS, Johnson didn't leave b/c of the goddamm highschool. The fact he moved isn't directly on the Starkville public schools.

Ok.

ShotgunDawg
06-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Well, we did well for potential future SEC starters ourselves. We will definitely get Mitch Miller and Riley Self and if we hold onto Ashcraft that's 3 pitchers with very high ceilings coming to school.

Ashcraft doesn't throw strikes and the other two are ok talents. Ethridge is similar to Aaron Nola out of high school and Rollison would have gone in the 3rd round but was asking for 2 mil.

What they are bringing in compared to what we are is apples and elephants. Our class last year was legit though and similar to their this year

MzTerry
06-15-2016, 01:20 PM

Starkville High School may have its issues, but being across from a "housing project" is not one of them. Where are you from? Old apartments do not = housing projects. The projects (Brooksville Gardens) are not that close to the high school at all.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Starkville High School may have its issues, but being across from a "housing project" is not one of them. Where are you from? Old apartments do not = housing projects. The projects (Brooksville Gardens) are not that close to the high school at all.

That's what I was thinking because the townhouses & apartments on Yellow Jacket Drive are far from housing projects.

benbow
06-15-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm assuming that you have your towns confused. Starkville High School is nowhere near a housing project. It is across the street from Starkville Academy and a block from the Mayor's house. The larger point --- are you saying that an assistant coach is not staying because of who lives across the street from the high school?? That's a hell of note.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 01:29 PM

SHS issues could be solved quickly. Shut down SA. SHS has 1,083 students, 33% white. SA has 218 students, 96% white. Combine them and you are 44% white. Bam, a school big enough for everyone. But this is pure numbers. I know the bigger issues, so I understand why SA may never shut down.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2016, 01:42 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the location of Starkville High School. Geez Starkville is just like most small towns in the south including Grenada by the lake.

shoeless joe
06-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Where are all those guys from? I notice the Clarion Ledger has certainly been hyping them up:

We don't give CL CLICKS/

Kessinger moved in from one of the desoto cnty schools I believe. He's a really good player. He was going to ole miss anyway cuz he's a kessinger. The catcher, Dillard, is from briarcrest and moved in for his senior year. He's a studd at the plate but his only position is catcher and he's not elite on D...good, but not elite. Barber and Roth have been in the oxford school system for a while...nothing overly fishy with them. They both had older brothers who were good players but nothing like them. The Bianco boys are/were really talented as well. Michael was prolly the least talented, Ben may be the most clutch high school hitter I've ever seen, drew is still young and developing but if LSU is interested he's got ability.

It was definitely the perfect storm of these super high quality kids coming up all together at the same school. Any time a highly talented kid moves into an already talented team it raises eye brows but it is what it is.

GreenheadDawg
06-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Ashcraft doesn't throw strikes and the other two are ok talents. Ethridge is similar to Aaron Nola out of high school and Rollison would have gone in the 3rd round but was asking for 2 mil.

What they are bringing in compared to what we are is apples and elephants. Our class last year was legit though and similar to their this year

I guess we should just give up baseball since OM is light years ahead of us. I guess I need to put these **

maroonmania
06-15-2016, 02:39 PM

Well, I haven't personally seen any of these guys pitch (their guys or ours) and I don't know what you are basing your opinion on but all I know is what I read and the 3 guys I mentioned that we've signed are all rated 10s of the PG scale which is the highest rating you can get. Each were expected to be high draft picks but Miller and Self made it clear they were going to school. Plus they are 6'5, 6'4, and 6'2 respectively so they are physically good size. So I guess we will see what our "elephants" end up doing.

maroonmania
06-15-2016, 02:40 PM
I guess we should just give up baseball since OM is light years ahead of us. I guess I need to put these **

Agreed, our guys are apparently chopped liver and can't measure up.

HSVDawg
06-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Not to mention the fact that the buildings in nearby proximity to any school have literally nothing to do with the quality of education.

HSVDawg
06-15-2016, 02:45 PM
SHS issues could be solved quickly. Shut down SA. SHS has 1,083 students, 33% white. SA has 218 students, 96% white. Combine them and you are 44% white. Bam, a school big enough for everyone. But this is pure numbers. I know the bigger issues, so I understand why SA may never shut down.

This is not a solution. SA isn't some academic utopia regardless of the racial makeup of its students. The only thing you gain by shutting down SA is a marginally larger hiring pool for talented teachers by an amount that is so negligible that it is hardly worth mentioning.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Well, I haven't personally seen any of these guys pitch (their guys or ours) and I don't know what you are basing your opinion on but all I know is what I read and the 3 guys I mentioned that we've signed are all rated 10s of the PG scale which is the highest rating you can get. Each were expected to be high draft picks but Miller and Self made it clear they were going to school. Plus they are 6'5, 6'4, and 6'2 respectively so they are physically good size. So I guess we will see what our "elephants" end up doing.

Yeah no sh*t. Shotgun is jumping off the ledge. I'm in no way worried about Ole Miss passing us. We are fine. I just wanted them to totally shipwreck, which apparently isn't happening.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 03:10 PM
This is not a solution. SA isn't some academic utopia regardless of the racial makeup of its students. The only thing you gain by shutting down SA is a marginally larger hiring pool for talented teachers by an amount that is so negligible that it is hardly worth mentioning.

Wrong. What you get by merging the schools is a more attractive public school with a white/black split. Oxford is about 50/50 too. Then more people would be willing to move to Starkville and raise their kids. These are just facts. You want to cry racism? Go holler at Trump. This is how it is.

Who cares the ranking of the school? A school is only as good as its students and their parents.

Coach34
06-15-2016, 03:45 PM

Shotgun talks with alot of baseball people. He's one of the most knowledgeable baseball guys we have.

Coach34
06-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Agreed, our guys are apparently chopped liver and can't measure up.

Shotgun is saying they signed better pitching talent than we did this year. We signed better talent last year. Some of ya'll are getting too worked up over very little

maroonmania
06-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Shotgun is saying they signed better pitching talent than we did this year. We signed better talent last year. Some of ya'll are getting too worked up over very little

I responded appropriately. I wouldn't dispute that they signed some high quality pitchers, very likely better than ours, the only point I made was that we signed 3 very highly thought of pitchers ourselves (I actually didn't even reference how they stacked up with the UNM signees). Shotgun's response was that comparing the pitchers we signed to what UNM signed was like comparing "apples to elephants" theirs were so much better. If anyone is getting too worked up here its Shotgun. The 3 pitchers I specifically mentioned that we have coming in (if Ashcraft doesn't sign), ratings wise, stack up pretty well with the bulk of the pitchers we signed last year. They certainly should be a lot better than 'ok talents' unless they are all 3 vastly overrated.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 04:58 PM
I responded appropriately. I wouldn't dispute that they signed some high quality pitchers, very likely better than ours, the only point I made was that we signed 3 very highly thought of pitchers ourselves (I actually didn't even reference how they stacked up with the UNM signees). Shotgun's response was that comparing the pitchers we signed to what UNM signed was like comparing "apples to elephants" theirs were so much better. If anyone is getting too worked up here its Shotgun. The 3 pitchers I specifically mentioned that we have coming in (if Ashcraft doesn't sign), ratings wise, stack up pretty well with the bulk of the pitchers we signed last year. They certainly should be a lot better than 'ok talents' unless they are all 3 vastly overrated.

You are correct. Don't let them tell you differently. Our class was just fine.

shoeless joe
06-15-2016, 05:33 PM

While all 4 signees from oxford high are elite high school kids I personally don't see any one being a game change in the SEC. They all have the chance to be solid to good players that any team would like but not something outta this world.

IMO...Roth has the most potential on the mound from a "stuff" standpoint but barber has the better mental make up and demeanor. Kessinger is the all around most useful, while Dillard is the most elite at any particular skill set with his ability to hit.

HSVDawg
06-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Wrong. What you get by merging the schools is a more attractive public school with a white/black split. Oxford is about 50/50 too. Then more people would be willing to move to Starkville and raise their kids. These are just facts. You want to cry racism? Go holler at Trump. This is how it is.

Who cares the ranking of the school? A school is only as good as its students and their parents.

Well from a logistics standpoint, you wouldn't get all of those 218 students in SHS anyway. About half of the kids that attend SA only do so because they live outside of the Starkville / Oktibbeha School district, and their parents don't want to send them to extremely weak local schools like Maben, East Webster, etc. So you would only get up to about 38 or 39% white even in a best case scenario. And I'm not even remotely in agreement that increasing that balance is the solution, but I am just pointing that out.

As far as school ranking, I didn't bring that up. But if you are even remotely implying that the parents of SA kids care more about their kids education than those at SHS, I can only tell you that you are mistaken. That comes from nearly 20 years of growing up in Starkville and being very close to many people who attended both SA and Starkville Public Schools. I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that I won't post on here in relation to that. I'm not saying SA parents care less (truthfully it is probably about equal all things considered), but there is a lot more than just spending money on your kid's education that demonstrates an involved parent.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Bianco has done very well with pitchers. Not sure what you're talking about.

Well, let's see....

Remember Bobby Wahl? Mired in AA while Stratton has made his MLB debut this year despite being hit in the face. Drew Pomeranz is just now starting to establish himself in MLB. Lance Lynn has done well and Chris Ellis looks like he has a promising future with the Braves. But they are the exceptions. I think a big reason why Ole Miss flamed out in the regionals this year was because of how they overused their bullpen. They flat wore out Stokes, Short, and Feigl. All of whom failed them at the end of the year. Part of the reason for that was they underdeveloped guys like Brady Bramlett- who had some arm injuries at Ole Miss and never lived up to expectations and then two JUCO guys that didn't perform for them in Smith and Johnson. And then before that you had Christian Trent who is not a MLB prospect, Josh Laxer who has been lost in MiLB, and then a myriad of other pitchers who were successful at Ole Miss or hyped and didn't do anything in the pros- Mark Holliman, TJ Beam, Will Kline, Alan Horne, etc.

Compare that to Cohen who has been here half the time that Bianco has at Ole Miss- and yet we have produced Graveman, Girodo, Stratton, Lindgren in MLB with Brandon Woodruff and Dakota Hudson probably on the way in the upcoming years. And that's just us- there are many other programs better at producing pitching talent than Ole Miss and not ruining it.

M.Fillmore
06-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Adding to Todd's post. Bianco took a pitcher (forgot his name) from a 1st round draft pick who inexplicably spurned the pros into a 30th round draft pick three years later.

gravedigger
06-15-2016, 06:24 PM

The high school isnt across from a housing project you imbicile

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Well, let's see....

Remember Bobby Wahl? Mired in AA while Stratton has made his MLB debut this year despite being hit in the face. Drew Pomeranz is just now starting to establish himself in MLB. Lance Lynn has done well and Chris Ellis looks like he has a promising future with the Braves. But they are the exceptions. I think a big reason why Ole Miss flamed out in the regionals this year was because of how they overused their bullpen. They flat wore out Stokes, Short, and Feigl. All of whom failed them at the end of the year. Part of the reason for that was they underdeveloped guys like Brady Bramlett- who had some arm injuries at Ole Miss and never lived up to expectations and then two JUCO guys that didn't perform for them in Smith and Johnson. And then before that you had Christian Trent who is not a MLB prospect, Josh Laxer who has been lost in MiLB, and then a myriad of other pitchers who were successful at Ole Miss or hyped and didn't do anything in the pros- Mark Holliman, TJ Beam, Will Kline, Alan Horne, etc.

Compare that to Cohen who has been here half the time that Bianco has at Ole Miss- and yet we have produced Graveman, Girodo, Stratton, Lindgren in MLB with Brandon Woodruff and Dakota Hudson probably on the way in the upcoming years. And that's just us- there are many other programs better at producing pitching talent than Ole Miss and not ruining it.

Everyone has arm injuries and yes Bianco has at time done things like their 2009 regional with Pomeranz.

Either way, those pitchers always develop during their time at Ole Miss. I don't care what they did in the minors. This isn't debatable.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 06:39 PM
Everyone has arm injuries and yes Bianco has at time done things like their 2009 regional with Pomeranz.

Either way, those pitchers always develop during their time at Ole Miss. I don't care what they did in the minors. This isn't debatable.

If they were developed well in college they would have done better in pro baseball. The thing about it is 95% of amateur pitchers ultimate goal isn't to be a great pitcher in college. Ultimately it's to be a great pitcher in MLB. If a school like Ole Miss has a repeated and known poor history of developing pitchers and injuring them, why would anyone want to go to school there?

And yes, arm injuries are an unfortunate part of the business. However, in this day and age where protecting arms is at a premium- you have Ole Miss which has committed several obvious pitching sins such as what you alluded to with Pomeranz. And has had several arm injuries shortly after said sins to the point where it's not a coincidence.

Taog Redloh
06-15-2016, 08:53 PM
If they were developed well in college they would have done better in pro baseball. The thing about it is 95% of amateur pitchers ultimate goal isn't to be a great pitcher in college. Ultimately it's to be a great pitcher in MLB. If a school like Ole Miss has a repeated and known poor history of developing pitchers and injuring them, why would anyone want to go to school there?

And yes, arm injuries are an unfortunate part of the business. However, in this day and age where protecting arms is at a premium- you have Ole Miss which has committed several obvious pitching sins such as what you alluded to with Pomeranz. And has had several arm injuries shortly after said sins to the point where it's not a coincidence.

Arizona's coach did that during their regional. He's far from the only one.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 09:03 PM

No doubt. And it will possibly hurt their recruiting going forward too. It's not a good reputation to have. Especially since there are college coaches that do not do that.

state66
06-15-2016, 10:57 PM
Youre crying over Starkville highs baseball team? We recruit nationally at baseball. Who gives a **** about Starkville high.

SPMT
06-16-2016, 08:13 AM

Oxford is building an academy, as we speak.

maroonmania
06-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Skip Bertman was notorious for overusing pitchers but pitching prospects still signed up under him in mass.

HSVDawg
06-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Youre crying over Starkville highs baseball team? We recruit nationally at baseball. Who gives a **** about Starkville high.

I don't think anyone in the thread mentioned Starkville High's baseball team. It was argued (poorly) that Starkville High's location within the city somehow made it a worse school and therefore made Starkville less appealing for young coaches like Wes Johnson to want to put down roots there.

benbow
06-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Starkville and Oktibbeha school districts are now consolidated under the Starkville School district. District line are gone as a rationale for sending a kid to a private school. Just saying.