PDA

View Full Version : How much effect did having half the team drafted and 2 coaches looking...

IMissJack
06-14-2016, 06:15 PM
have on the end of the season? It seemed we were not as focused as usual. I mentioned in another thread that I wish MLB would push the draft back for 2 weeks until the CWS is over.

Taog Redloh
06-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Draft probably had a big effect, on a lot of teams. Coaching searches? Probably not. This isn't football.

Todd4State
06-14-2016, 06:32 PM
I think very little. Most of the guys that got drafted were probably relieved that they had it behind them. The coaches probably didn't let on that they were being talked to until the year was over.

I think the biggest pressure was just the opportunity to do something great and the want to to do something great. I think that resulted in guys trying to do too much.

blacklistedbully
06-14-2016, 08:26 PM
I think we just got beat by a team that was playing better baseball than we were at the end-of-the-year. They were hot coming in, we had slipped in the SECT.

They were better than we were at the time they played us...period. Stop with the excuses.

Coach007
06-14-2016, 08:35 PM
have on the end of the season? It seemed we were not as focused as usual. I mentioned in another thread that I wish MLB would push the draft back for 2 weeks until the CWS is over.

100% agree that it should be pushed back.

MarketingBully
06-14-2016, 09:35 PM
I think we just got beat by a team that was playing better baseball than we were at the end-of-the-year. They were hot coming in, we had slipped in the SECT.

They were better than we were at the time they played us...period. Stop with the excuses.

They just took advantage of every possible mistake our pitchers made and we just fouled off their mistake pitches. We didn't get the timely hits that were needed to win the games. We did help them out quite a bit and they had a lot of luck. Hudson didn't even pitch his best at all and he only gave up one run. They did just enough to beat us two games. It's not as if we ran into a white hot team and they beat us 7-0 and 10-5. They won by a total of two runs the whole weekend. When we faced adversity in the Saturday game, we melted. They did win quite a few games in a row but the teams they beat weren't that good in that streak sans us and ULL. My prediction is their luck runs out and Miami and OSU will both stomp them. Heck, I think UCSB may out luck them as well. We lost to an inferior opponent last weekend who just happened to be better by one run in both games. It sucks but we move on.

MarketingBully
06-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Draft probably had a big effect, on a lot of teams. Coaching searches? Probably not. This isn't football.

You can tell the draft had a huge impact on a lot of teams this year just because of the number of inferior teams that got to Omaha this year. We had 11 players drafted and half of those guys were drafted during and after games we played in the super regional. You add that to an already intense and pressure situation and you get only 3 national seeds making it.

MarketingBully
06-14-2016, 09:44 PM
I think very little. Most of the guys that got drafted were probably relieved that they had it behind them. The coaches probably didn't let on that they were being talked to until the year was over.

I think the biggest pressure was just the opportunity to do something great and the want to to do something great. I think that resulted in guys trying to do too much.

Why not just move the draft to a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday date that week. It wouldn't require too much logistic change and the kids would have a day or two to process it before playing in the Super Regional. If you think it had a minimal impact, you probably don't know 21-22 year olds very well.

SaintDawg
06-14-2016, 10:09 PM
If you had told me that the SEC would have 5 teams in the Supers and only 1 of those 5 teams would make it to Omaha, I would have laughed in your face, pushed you down and called you ugly names. Look at what happenned. These were almost all top 10 teams the entire season! And then they shit the bed in the tourney?!? C'mon! It makes no sense. The draft must be a factor.

Dawg61
06-14-2016, 10:36 PM
We had a huge home field advantage and just choked plain and simple. Up 5-1 in the 8th you can not choke that. We did. Draft had nothing to do with choking.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-14-2016, 10:53 PM
I asked this the other day and didn't get much response....I wonder if the big crowds, great atmosphere actually improves the play of our opponents. You have to figure these guys are competitors. When they walk into Dudy Noble and see 13,000 fans, it has to pump them up. Especially the top tier teams. They live for this type situation.

Todd4State
06-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Why not just move the draft to a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday date that week. It wouldn't require too much logistic change and the kids would have a day or two to process it before playing in the Super Regional. If you think it had a minimal impact, you probably don't know 21-22 year olds very well.

I think it should be moved until after the CWS. Like July 1-2 or somewhere in there.

If that means that they extend the signing deadline to August 1st that's fine with me.

Todd4State
06-14-2016, 11:14 PM
I asked this the other day and didn't get much response....I wonder if the big crowds, great atmosphere actually improves the play of our opponents. You have to figure these guys are competitors. When they walk into Dudy Noble and see 13,000 fans, it has to pump them up. Especially the top tier teams. They live for this type situation.

The key is to take the crowd out early. That's what they did in game one. Our crowd never got into it like we did the Clemson SR.

It's only a disadvantage if our players make it one by trying to do too much. I think the perception is that the big crowds will intimidate the other team. I think the reality is what the big crowds do to players is it "pushes" the home team to play over their heads some. But I think the idea that home field is a disadvantage somehow is BS. Look at how many regionals and SR's we have won at home- I think we have lost two regionals at home since 1990 in 1992 and 2003- one of which was a walk-off and the other was just a killer draw in 1992 with Oklahoma and UCLA. Then we are 1-1 in SR's at home. Two of those home losses were walk-offs where the road team had to make huge comebacks to win (2003 and 2016 SR). So, the odds of us winning at home are really, really high. And if you do beat us it's going to be a dog fight.

When I say the crowd "pushes" our team- think back to all of the miracles we have had in regionals since 1990- Masters grand slam, DuBose pitching his tail off on short rest and Brooks Bryan saving a game winning home run in 97, Ty Martin and Travis Chapman hitting clutch home runs in 2000 to beat Notre Dame, badass performances in the 2007 SR by our entire team including Mitch Moreland, in 2013 Girodo was lights out to win the regional for us and then even this year you had some special performances in the regional by Rooker to prevent SEMO from upsetting us, Houston, Rigby vs. La Tech and I could even argue Dakota Hudson was special even in a losing effort.

How often does LSU lose a regional or SR at home? I know they did this year, but I bet it is also uncommon.

I think we're reading way too much into a bad performance which you really could legitimately say was a fluke by trying to blame it on the draft and our large crowds.

RAYn_Man
06-14-2016, 11:34 PM
You can't push the draft back because all the high school kids and most college kids are done playing at this point already. Makes no sense. These teams want to get their draftees in and start working with them this summer. Best thing to do would be bump it up to the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday right after Memorial Day, before Regionals. Then for the HS kids and guys not in the tournament, they can start playing sooner while the other guys have it behind them and start playing for a championship.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 12:09 AM
You can't push the draft back because all the high school kids and most college kids are done playing at this point already. Makes no sense. These teams want to get their draftees in and start working with them this summer. Best thing to do would be bump it up to the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday right after Memorial Day, before Regionals. Then for the HS kids and guys not in the tournament, they can start playing sooner while the other guys have it behind them and start playing for a championship.

The deadline is already in the middle of July as it is and they all have a good idea of who is or isn't at that point anyway. Heck, the international signing period isn't until July 2nd. All the draft is is a distraction in the middle of the season. As Cohen said- it would be like the NFL having the draft the week of the SEC Championship Game.

RAYn_Man
06-15-2016, 07:46 AM
The deadline is already in the middle of July as it is and they all have a good idea of who is or isn't at that point anyway. Heck, the international signing period isn't until July 2nd. All the draft is is a distraction in the middle of the season. As Cohen said- it would be like the NFL having the draft the week of the SEC Championship Game.

Yea that's the DEADLINE. Most guys sign within a week or so and are off playing before the end of June.

blacklistedbully
06-15-2016, 12:11 PM
They just took advantage of every possible mistake our pitchers made and we just fouled off their mistake pitches. We didn't get the timely hits that were needed to win the games. We did help them out quite a bit and they had a lot of luck. Hudson didn't even pitch his best at all and he only gave up one run. They did just enough to beat us two games. It's not as if we ran into a white hot team and they beat us 7-0 and 10-5. They won by a total of two runs the whole weekend. When we faced adversity in the Saturday game, we melted. They did win quite a few games in a row but the teams they beat weren't that good in that streak sans us and ULL. My prediction is their luck runs out and Miami and OSU will both stomp them. Heck, I think UCSB may out luck them as well. We lost to an inferior opponent last weekend who just happened to be better by one run in both games. It sucks but we move on.

We were fortunate they didn't whip us in the 2nd game. They were hitting us like batting practice. The score of the 2nd game is lower than it easily could have been.

They were better than we were. They deserved to win.