PDA

View Full Version : A step back??

preachermatt83
06-14-2016, 03:48 PM
I just don't see it. More experience coming back than this year and loads of talent...

Kruger
Rooker
Marrero
Gridley
Mangum
Stovall
Belmont
Gordon- I think he's gonna be an amazing player
Brown

Breaux
Small
Cyr
Padgett
Young
James
Pilk
Rigby
Smith- (he may end up being an amazing closer)

With all the other talent we may be getting we may be even better next yr. if Ashcraft makes it to campus he will be a Friday night guy from day 1.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2016, 04:02 PM
You were doing so great until you said Ashcraft will be the Friday night guy from day 1. Not happening in our program.

Homedawg
06-14-2016, 04:06 PM
A true fr as Friday night starter doesn't happen often in this league. Don't count on it
I seen it, you beat me to it.

Bama_Dawg
06-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Just like last year, we've got to have some guys step up over the summer and establish themselves as starting pitchers. I think some guys will step up, but hopefully we have the issue of "too many" stepping up.

Just looking at the guys coming back...we should be able to get guys on, and I think we're gonna be FAST in 2017.

Todd4State
06-14-2016, 04:11 PM
We have a lot of talent. We also don't know if and who will be ready by February. Our rotation is a huge question mark as is third base. How our rising sophomores do and how the three JUCO hitters do will determine how good we are next year.

Commercecomet24
06-14-2016, 04:14 PM
We shoukd be good 2017, elite 2018.

Todd4State
06-14-2016, 04:18 PM
We shoukd be good 2017, elite 2018.

I totally agree. Breaux, Small, Pilk, Padgett will all be juniors and in the field Marrero, Mangum, LA, and Stovall will all be juniors. If the three JUCO guys aren't ready next year by 2018 they will have a year and another summer under their belt.

Commercecomet24
06-14-2016, 04:24 PM
I totally agree. Breaux, Small, Pilk, Padgett will all be juniors and in the field Marrero, Mangum, LA, and Stovall will all be juniors. If the three JUCO guys aren't ready next year by 2018 they will have a year and another summer under their belt.

I'm extremely excited about the future. We have positioned ourselves to be extremely good for a long time. I know everyone's a little disappointed about the way the season ended but the future is bright! Almost reminiscent of the 80's with a higher ceiling!

MarketingBully
06-14-2016, 04:35 PM
I also think these coaching hires will be extremely important. We have a chance to hire a Mitch Gaspard to replace Ming. Which would be a slight step back recruiting wise but a major step forward with development. If we just hire a young assistant who all he can do is be a major recruiter, I would be disappointed. We have the talent in our program as freshmen and sophomores. We need an assistant who can help develop the hitters and fielding and Gaspard would fit that bill. If we lose Johnson, we could replace him with an SEC Coach of the year in Henderson. Mark it down. If we grab Gaspard and Henderson, we will win a national championship by 2018 and still be really good and challenge in 2017.

Coach34
06-14-2016, 04:47 PM
really hope Kruger stays- but I just dont see it the way they screw over Sr's in the draft

Coach34
06-14-2016, 04:48 PM
I also think these coaching hires will be extremely important. We have a chance to hire a Mitch Gaspard to replace Ming. Which would be a slight step back recruiting wise but a major step forward with development. If we just hire a young assistant who all he can do is be a major recruiter, I would be disappointed. We have the talent in our program as freshmen and sophomores. We need an assistant who can help develop the hitters and fielding and Gaspard would fit that bill. If we lose Johnson, we could replace him with an SEC Coach of the year in Henderson. Mark it down. If we grab Gaspard and Henderson, we will win a national championship by 2018 and still be really good and challenge in 2017.

Henderson was the PC for 2015 US Collegiate National team- he would be a good hire

msstate7
06-14-2016, 04:59 PM
really hope Kruger stays- but I just dont see it the way they screw over Sr's in the draft

He's a pretty late round pick now, so who knows what he'll get offered. Unless he's coming back as a positional player, there's probably no reason to return though.

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 05:04 PM

He won't get much as a SR but what does a 20th rounder get anyway, 30-50K maybe?

I seen it dawg
06-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Kruger very much loves academics. Hopefully he will stay and get a grad degree.

Todd4State
06-14-2016, 05:23 PM

Personally- and I like Mingione and was very impressed with his recruiting- think that Gaspard would be an upgrade. Especially if he coaches third base.

Henderson is legit and is one of the best pitching coaches in the country. The thing about it is if Wes leaves he at least exposed our program to his techniques. And you would have to think that whomever takes over for Wes is probably going to be asked to use some of those techniques going forward. Most pitching coaches are willing to adapt and I can't imagine Henderson not doing something that would help us succeed and make him even better as a coach. Plus, if Henderson is burned out I think coming somewhere like MSU where it's a good situation where baseball is very important and he has new techniques to shake things up- that might really help him out a lot.

smootness
06-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Ashcraft has a big-time ceiling, but the things I've read suggest he's pretty raw right now. Throws really hard but needs to work on his other stuff and his command. Not sure that's someone who would even be in the rotation right away.

Pollodawg
06-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Are we going to endlessly rehash baseball season? lol. It's over. On to a sport people care about.

msstate7
06-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Are we going to endlessly rehash baseball season? lol. It's over. On to a sport people care about.

When you say "people", you must mean you. There are a ton of baseball fans on this page.

Pollodawg
06-14-2016, 05:50 PM
When you say "people", you must mean you. There are a ton of baseball fans on this page.

You're right. Lol I've tried to care, and I just can't, which is weird for an MSU fan. I'm the outlier.

msstate7
06-14-2016, 05:54 PM
You're right. Lol I've tried to care, and I just can't, which is weird for an MSU fan. I'm the outlier.

You should try again haha. This is the sport we're gonna be sec and national contenders in.

Bothrops
06-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks to the MLB draft, and coaching turnover, it's impossible to predict season success.

If I had to guess, I'd say we struggle to stay .500 early in conference play, then improve in the second half of the season and could make a regional.

smootness
06-14-2016, 06:44 PM

Then don't worry about commenting in baseball threads.

Coach34
06-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks to the MLB draft, and coaching turnover, it's impossible to predict season success.

If I had to guess, I'd say we struggle to stay .500 early in conference play, then improve in the second half of the season and could make a regional.

We should be better than that. If Kruger comes back- and the young arms we have- we should be a solid #2 seed at a minimum next year.

smootness
06-14-2016, 07:54 PM

I may not be reading this right...but are you saying we'll start out .500 in conference play, then improve (so over .500 in conference) but maybe make a regional?

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-14-2016, 08:25 PM
If Kruger and Rooker come back the offense should be above average. The bullpen should be much improved. Not sure how the rotation will shake out.

It_Could_Happen
06-14-2016, 11:27 PM
They are both returning. It was announced today. I'm also on the boat with getting gaspard and Henderson. If we make those hires we are a top 3 coaching staff in the country.

Commercecomet24
06-14-2016, 11:36 PM
They are both returning. It was announced today. I'm also on the boat with getting gaspard and Henderson. If we make those hires we are a top 3 coaching staff in the country.

That's excellent news. Those 2 with Mangum a pretty good start.

Todd4State
06-15-2016, 12:05 AM
That's excellent news. Those 2 with Mangum a pretty good start.

Gridley will probably hit .300 next year too. The offense should be fine. It could be about as good or dare I say even better IF the JUCO's come in and contribute right away. No guarantees on that though.

msstate7
06-15-2016, 07:37 AM
So is Cole Gordon a 1b or pitcher going forward?

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Gridley will probably hit .300 next year too. The offense should be fine. It could be about as good or dare I say even better IF the JUCO's come in and contribute right away. No guarantees on that though.

Goldwater is supposed to have a fair amount of pop in his bat isn't he? He seems like the type of player we have been having a lot of success with lately.

maroonmania
06-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Goldwater is supposed to have a fair amount of pop in his bat isn't he? He seems like the type of player we have been having a lot of success with lately.

Looks like he had a .355 BA, .392 OBP with a .710 SLG. 14 HRs, 7 2Bs, 42 RBIs. Did have 37Ks in 138 ABs. So he's got some pop but does strike out a good bit. Have to temper expectations though in that Nate Lowe led the JUCO ranks in HRs but we only got around 5 HRs from him this year. Lowe kept up a high batting average though.

MSUDawg99
06-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Kruger very much loves academics. Hopefully he will stay and get a grad degree.

He's staying. He's playing in a summer league.

msstate7
06-15-2016, 11:04 AM
He's staying. He's playing in a summer league.

I suppose at catcher this summer?