PDA

View Full Version : Hearing we gonna need a new pitching coach too

Coach34
06-14-2016, 11:19 AM
new staff for 2017 here we come

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-14-2016, 11:30 AM
HELL State....MFer!!

First football, now baseball....bad perception.

AlSwearengen
06-14-2016, 11:32 AM
17in midgett.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-14-2016, 11:34 AM
We are the kings of lateral moves.

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Yea, looks like Manny Diaz has started a trend at MSU of the one year assistant to then make a lateral move.

MarketingBully
06-14-2016, 11:36 AM
There are two bad ass former SEC coaches who we should hire: Gaspard and Henderson. Cohen make it happen!

msstate7
06-14-2016, 11:37 AM
There are two bad ass former SEC coaches who we should hire: Gaspard and Henderson. Cohen make it happen!

I agree

GreenheadDawg
06-14-2016, 11:46 AM
**** that dwarf. It's amazing how many assistants we have that make lateral moves

Coach34
06-14-2016, 11:48 AM
I like the mentality and change of philosophy he brought. I hope we hire someone that continues that philosophy

Irondawg
06-14-2016, 12:00 PM
It's just an uphill fight for us sometime. We keep finding guys that get the homecoming call and there's just not much you can do about that.

Wasn't all that disappointed in Manny, but we will miss Wes

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2016, 12:02 PM
It's just an uphill fight for us sometime. We keep finding guys that get the homecoming call and there's just not much you can do about that.

Wasn't all that disappointed in Manny, but we will miss Wes

Agree, but the city of Starkville has to step it up. We can't keep quality coaches from other parts of the country with the current school system & politics of Starkville. Sad but true

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Well that sucks. Hurts a lot worse than losing Mingione.

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Well, there is going to be a ton of pitching talent here for somebody to work with.

Bothrops
Agree, but the city of Starkville has to step it up. We can't keep quality coaches from other parts of the country with the current school system & politics of Starkville. Sad but true

Starkville ain't gonna change enough to overcome those issues. Maybe never.

SaintDawg
Why don't we come off some money to keep them? Or is it not a money issue? Something more...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-14-2016, 12:08 PM

True, but fat chance that happens. They're trying to run a retirement community in a college town and as you mentioned about shitty schools. It seems like we can never get everything on the same page.

Bothrops
06-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Yep, this sucks and it will hurt us next year.

mic
06-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Starkville ain't gonna change enough to overcome those issues. Maybe never.

I'm glad someone else besides me sees what the issue is...

War Machine Dawg
06-14-2016, 12:12 PM
**** me! There is literally no way we can upgrade from Mini-Me. Like you, I just hope we bring in someone with a similar approach to what he brought. No more of the "traditional" approach like Butch had.

msbulldog
06-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Damn, I hope Stick at least made a competitive offer.

Coach34
06-14-2016, 12:14 PM

This is 100% true

bgover4
06-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Well the Cal State coach got a chance to visit Starkville again. Think we might see if he is interested this season since he would have the full offseason this time?

Coach34
06-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Damn, I hope Stick at least made a competitive offer.

It's not about money. It's going home plus the chance to take over for Van Horn possibly in a few years

Coach34
06-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Well the Cal State coach got a chance to visit Starkville again. Think we might see if he is interested this season since he would have the full offseason this time?

why would he leave a head coaching job?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-14-2016, 12:21 PM
HELL State....MFer!!

Our coaches are desired by others to improve their staffs...how is that a bad perception?

Homedawg
06-14-2016, 12:23 PM
HELL State....MFer!!

How is it bad perception? We've had 4 coaches leave in 8 years 3 left for head jobs. Hardly bad.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-14-2016, 12:25 PM
He from California..If we got him and he has a good year(Which he will with our staff) he would be another to leave for another gig..most likely back in California. We need to focus on someone in this area.

bgover4
06-14-2016, 12:27 PM

Did we not make an offer to him last offseason? I thought it was their pitching coach we were after. Did he take over the head coaching job? Sorry, I don't follow Cal State baseball that closely.

He from California..If we got him and he has a good year(Which he will with our staff) he would be another to leave for another gig..most likely back in California. We need to focus on someone in this area.

Thanks for relevant input DGD.

starkvegasdawg
06-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Why does him leaving feel like this to me?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjBxgbt9XzjtUB0IfgpJvyRh0zY4nIn wHQYQOlEMGGb5pumFN-

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 12:29 PM

He was referencing the CSF pitching coach. The one we thought we were hiring last year before we ended up with Johnson. Don't know why he would want the job this year though if he turned it down last year.

bgover4
06-14-2016, 12:31 PM
He was referencing the CSF pitching coach. The one we thought we were hiring last year before we ended up with Johnson. Don't know why he would want the job this year though if he turned it down last year.

Last year we offered him after the off season was about over. Might have been a hangup. Just saying that if we wanted him last year we may still be interested and his outlook may be different too.

msbulldog
06-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Sounded more like he and Cohen didn't geehaw from what I read. Not sure he turned it down or Cohen didn't offer.

lefty96
06-14-2016, 12:41 PM
It's not about money. It's going home plus the chance to take over for Van Horn possibly in a few years

He is from Jacksonville, AR and came up through the schools in the state. I get what everyone is saying on Starkville, etc but I don't think that was the issue here.

Taog Redloh
06-14-2016, 12:50 PM
If true it isn't a great move for him, if he wants a head job. I doubt many teams have the freshman pitching talent we have. He'll be a bigger commodity in 2 years.

preachermatt83
06-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Cohen wants Henderson. If Cohen wanted to keep Wes there would be an offer made financially that he couldn't refuse. I still say he stays here though because he will be a candidate for a HC position soon.

oldjoedawg
06-14-2016, 12:52 PM
The man is going back to the home area of his family.....hard to overcome that once a person has that opportunity, plus he may get a shot when the Arky coach leaves/fired or retired,

Why don't we come off some money to keep them? Or is it not a money issue? Something more...

Okrastar1
06-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Henderson? Gaspard? Help me out here? Wasn't gaspard at Bama?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Our coaches are desired by others to improve their staffs...how is that a bad perception?

How is it bad perception? We've had 4 coaches leave in 8 years 3 left for head jobs. Hardly bad.

The same reason we're picked to finish last every year in football...perception. Do you really think everybody is going to sit back and analyze why our a sizable portion of our assistants are leaving? Hell no...they'll just see we lost an entire defensive staff in football and all assistant coaches in baseball, with 2 of the guys being in their first year. I mean GD, the one sport we're supposed to be towards the top of the SEC and we have to hear rumors of Cohen to Bama.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/92/92faee9784a5da995dfc808188f80e1b130132f411777cf2e6 fbbda94729f42d.jpg

preachermatt83
06-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Henderson? Gaspard? Help me out here? Wasn't gaspard at Bama?

Yes and he would be an awful hire unless all he did was recruit. He had one of the worst hitting teams in the SEC year most years. Gene Henderson was the HC at UK. He was Cohens pitching coach while Cohen was at UK. I could live with hiring him but I'd rather have a coach who teaches velo like Wes. We don't need a drastic change in philosophy. However I'm still saying Wes stays.

sleepy dawg
06-14-2016, 01:59 PM
I like the mentality and change of philosophy he brought. I hope we hire someone that continues that philosophy

Agreed. I hope the bashing comes from being hurt rather than not liking the coach.

benbow
06-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Just curious. Admittedly Starkville was a dumpster fire up until a few years ago. Now its changing faster than I have ever seen a small town change. New construction, condos, places to go going up on every corner. The public schools have the largest curriculum in the state. and the athletic progrmas are at the top of the heap. State championships in recent years in football, basketball, track and all accomplished in the top division in the state. Long way to go but momentum is building rapidly. I assume that you haven't been to town in a while.

ScoobaDawg
06-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Yes and he would be an awful hire unless all he did was recruit. He had one of the worst hitting teams in the SEC year most years. Gene Henderson was the HC at UK. He was Cohens pitching coach while Cohen was at UK. I could live with hiring him but I'd rather have a coach who teaches velo like Wes. We don't need a drastic change in philosophy. However I'm still saying Wes stays.

go to 1:47

http://youtu.be/YSoIy2IZIiU?t=1m47s

Dawg61
06-14-2016, 03:13 PM
The same reason we're picked to finish last every year in football...perception. Do you really think everybody is going to sit back and analyze why our a sizable portion of our assistants are leaving? Hell no...they'll just see we lost an entire defensive staff in football and all assistant coaches in baseball, with 2 of the guys being in their first year. I mean GD, the one sport we're supposed to be towards the top of the SEC and we have to hear rumors of Cohen to Bama.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/92/92faee9784a5da995dfc808188f80e1b130132f411777cf2e6 fbbda94729f42d.jpg

Relax man nobody outside of this board knows jack shit about MSU sports. As usual a bunch of y'all have bleeding twats over nothing really.

preachermatt83
06-14-2016, 03:19 PM
go to 1:47

http://youtu.be/YSoIy2IZIiU?t=1m47s

Well crap.

LanceHarbor
06-14-2016, 04:15 PM

Replace "Starkville" with "Mississippi" and you have the same problem on a much grander, sadder scale.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2016, 07:49 PM
He is from Jacksonville, AR and came up through the schools in the state. I get what everyone is saying on Starkville, etc but I don't think that was the issue here.

They just don't understand do they, lefty?

Unless you have lived in central and NW Arkansas, you just cant imagine the amount of pride Arkansans take in their state and the Razorbacks. It is really impressive.

State could be located in Santa Barbara,CA....once mom called Wes went home.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-14-2016, 09:44 PM

Was told that he's staying on the West Coast...don't know if Cohen even reached out to him. I'm 3 degrees separated from Dietrich and that's the word I got this evening.

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Was told that he's staying on the West Coast...don't know if Cohen even reached out to him. I'm 3 degrees separated from Dietrich and that's the word I got this evening.

So is Johnson leaving pretty much at 100% at this time?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-15-2016, 06:36 AM
So is Johnson leaving pretty much at 100% at this time?

No, not that I'm aware of. I was just responding to the mention of Dietrich in an earlier post. When I heard that Arkansas was interested in Johnson, I reached out to my contact and was told that he'd be staying on the west coast. I apologize for making it sound like Johnson had left or that Cohen was looking for a pitching coach.