PDA

View Full Version : Status on drafted current and signed baseball players ...

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Can we sticky this up top to monitor who we lose and who we have coming back or coming in for baseball next season? Can update as individual players sign MLB contracts.

Dakota Hudson (1st round Cardinals) - signed
Walker Robbins (5th round Cardinals) - signed
Reid Humphreys (7th round Rockies) - signed
Daniel Brown (7th round Brewers) - signed
Jacob Robson (8th round Tigers) - signed
Colin Holderman (9th round Mets) - signed
Zac Houston (11th round Tigers) - signed
Douglas Ashcraft (12th round Dodgers)
Nathaniel Lowe (13th round Rays) - signed
Gavin Collins (13th round Indians) - signed
Vance Tatum (18th round Royals) - signed
Austin Sexton (18th round Cardinals) - signed
Jack Kruger (20th round Angels) - signed
Dustin Skelton (36th round Blue Jays)
Brent Rooker (38th round Twins)
Mitch Miller (undrafted) - defected to Clemson
Paul Young (undrafted FA Royals) - signed

msstate7
06-14-2016, 10:43 AM
I'd almost bet my life savings you can go remove all of these up unto the last 3 and hope we keep those

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 10:48 AM
I'd almost bet my life savings you can go remove all of these up unto the last 3 and hope we keep those

You are probably right although for some reason Rosebowl seemed to indicate on his podcast that he thought there was a chance Houston would come back but I sort of doubt it. Still holding out hope that we might can keep Ashcraft.

ScoobaDawg
06-14-2016, 10:48 AM
I agree... but still surprises can happen
Humphreys announced last night he is gone...
http://wjtv.com/2016/06/13/msus-reid-humphreys-to-skip-senior-season-for-mlb/

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Is anyone shocked that Mitchell Miller didn't get drafted? I thought he was going to go in the top 10 rounds. That's a big get for this program. I haven't seen much talk on here about it.

Commercecomet24
06-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Zac is gone according to his parents.

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Sounds like the only HS signee in question is Ashcraft and the only current players in question are Kruger and Rooker. I mean surely we won't lose Skelton at round 36. But, of course, that was what I thought about Burdick a couple of years ago as well.

smootness
06-14-2016, 11:16 AM
I definitely think there's a chance we get Ashcraft.

msstate7
06-14-2016, 11:34 AM
You are probably right although for some reason Rosebowl seemed to indicate on his podcast that he thought there was a chance Houston would come back but I sort of doubt it. Still holding out hope that we might can keep Ashcraft.

Houston would be a major win.

BankerDog
06-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Nate Lowe, Robson, Sexton, and Collins signed.

Look for Rooker to be back. He told scouts he was coming back, which is why dropped.

msstate7
06-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Nate Lowe, Robson, Sexton, and Collins signed.

Look for Rooker to be back. He told scouts he was coming back, which is why dropped.

Kruger?

Commercecomet24
06-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Houston would be a major win.

Zac is not coming back per his mom and dad.

msstate7
06-14-2016, 12:04 PM

I never thought he would. I let myself think about it a minute bc Rosebowl sold a dream apparently

Commercecomet24
06-14-2016, 12:06 PM
I never thought he would. I let myself think about it a minute bc Rosebowl sold a dream apparently

I was sure hoping too. I've known Zac since he was little. His dad been my insurance agent for years. Great family and he helps sponsor my travel team every year.

mic
06-14-2016, 12:16 PM
I agree... but still surprises can happen
Humphreys announced last night he is gone...
http://wjtv.com/2016/06/13/msus-reid-humphreys-to-skip-senior-season-for-mlb/

Good...

Bothrops
06-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Ouch next year is truly a rebuild, sounds like.

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 12:26 PM

Zac is a perfect example though of what we have got to improve upon. Somehow we have to get guys to mature and contribute before they hit their JR year. You can't have an elite program with a lot of one year contribution guys. Of course, in Zac's case, we didn't get much until his last month, much less his last year. Not trying to just single him out, you could say the same thing about other guys like Dakota Hudson and Reid Humphreys this season and many, many other in previous years (especially pitchers).

Commercecomet24
06-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Zac is a perfect example though of what we have got to improve upon. Somehow we have to get guys to mature and contribute before they hit their JR year. You can't have an elite program with a lot of one year contribution guys. Of course, in Zac's case, we didn't get much until his last month, much less his last year. Not trying to just single him out, you could say the same thing about other guys like Dakota Hudson and Reid Humphreys this season and many, many other in previous years (especially pitchers).

I'm in complete agreement with you on that. Gotta get more production sooner.

smootness
06-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Ouch next year is truly a rebuild, sounds like.

To some degree, yes. But we can still be very good, especially if Kruger returns.

If our lineup has Mangum, Kruger, and Rooker in it, along with good JUCOs in Goldwater and Kragg, development from the likes of Marrero, Stovall, Gridley, Gordon, and perhaps one or two good freshmen, we could still have a good lineup.

And the pitching could struggle, or it could be really good. It will be fairly young either way.

smootness
06-14-2016, 01:27 PM

This is the case for many programs. You have a few truly elite players who make their way to college, like Seth Beer, but those are few and far between. We had a chance to bring one in this year with Austin Riley, but the Braves messed that up. We may get one of those once every decade or so. Maybe.

You also have some guys who are advanced HS players but without a big-time ceiling. These guys may give you more right away but usually don't have a lot of room to grow. Gridley seems to be an example of that.

But when you're trying to end up with great college players, you often are bringing in guys with big tools who are raw and thus the only reason why they didn't go pro out of HS. We are clearly bringing these guys in, but it's hard to get them to start showing their potential in their first or even second years. Collins is a guy who was good as a FR before taking a step back last year with some injury issues. Rooker just busted out as a rSO. Sexton was very good as a SO. Pilkington and Mangum obviously gave us a ton as FR...but they were considered not to be at the top of our recruiting class. That's because guys like Small, Padgett, etc. may have better raw talent but aren't as ready yet.

It's just hard in college baseball to bring a guy in and have him be very good as a freshman, sophomore, and junior. That is very rare, at any program. I remember our fans pointing to a guy like Poche at LSU two years ago as an example of what we're not able to get out of freshmen. Well, it turns out he was an example of the kind of guy who is advanced entering college but without a top ceiling, which is why he was just drafted in the 14th round after regressing statistically through his 3 years at LSU.

djaymsu5
06-14-2016, 01:37 PM
I think Mitchell Miller will be a steal for this class. I watched some film on him the other day and that kid looks like he has a very high ceiling. He's tall and lanky like Small and looks like he is very accurate and can locate it well. I don't really know what all he can throw as far as pitches but he looks like he's got good speed with his FB and he's definitely going to be a good one IMO. Him and Small are going to be a lot alike other than Small may be a little taller possibly and have more velo on his FB. Whoever the next pitching coach will be assuming Johnson leaves is going to get a dang good young pitching staff to work with.

maroonmania
06-15-2016, 08:39 AM
I think Mitchell Miller will be a steal for this class. I watched some film on him the other day and that kid looks like he has a very high ceiling. He's tall and lanky like Small and looks like he is very accurate and can locate it well. I don't really know what all he can throw as far as pitches but he looks like he's got good speed with his FB and he's definitely going to be a good one IMO. Him and Small are going to be a lot alike other than Small may be a little taller possibly and have more velo on his FB. Whoever the next pitching coach will be assuming Johnson leaves is going to get a dang good young pitching staff to work with.

Yea, I think Mitch Miller (LH) and Riley Self (RH) are both big physical pitchers that we are fortunate in the fact they wanted to go to school. Both could be huge pickups for the program.

louisvilledawg
06-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Good...

I agree. Think Reid is a hell of an athlete, however, thought he was overrated big time. Saw him hit one curveball this year (homer against Auburn I think.) That was it. He couldn't touch an offspeed pitch in the last part of the season. Hell he struck out three times on curveballs in the first game of SR.

Also, to me, he never looked comfortable in LF. He misplayed a lot of balls and seemed out of place.

Madisonmd
06-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Drafted as a pitcher

Coach34
06-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Hump looked as I expected vs RHP's- but he absolutely crushed LHP's this year. He hit over .400 vs LHP's. That's outstanding.

He can throw 94 mph. You can't teach that. But you can teach mechanics and see what he can do in developing a 2nd and 3rd pitch. He showed some toughness and poise on the mound in limited chances. He's got a chance as a Pitcher. No chance as a hitter

louisvilledawg
06-21-2016, 08:33 AM
It doesn't say that Collins has signed yet, but I'm assuming he will not be coming back?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-21-2016, 08:38 AM
It doesn't say that Collins has signed yet, but I'm assuming he will not be coming back?

Collins signed with the Indians yesterday for $100K.

louisvilledawg
06-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Collins signed with the Indians yesterday for $100K.

Thanks!

maroonmania
06-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Well, looks like all current players that were expected to sign have now done so given that Kruger and Rooker have said they are coming back. I guess now the only question is on Ashcraft and to a lesser degree Skelton. Hopefully we hold on to both of those signees.

djaymsu5
06-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Anybody got any info on the kid that just committed? Andre Javer is all I know. What position and is he a highschool or juco

Ifyouonlyknew
06-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Anybody got any info on the kid that just committed? Andre Javer is all I know. What position and is he a highschool or juco

He's a 2019 kid from GA. He's a left handed OF 6'2" 175lbs.

DogDaddy
06-29-2016, 08:47 PM
I have been told that the Twins have tendered an offer to Rooker after having watched him in the Cape for a few weeks.

I seen it dawg
06-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Hopefully Brent understands his breakout yr can move him into a top 5 round pick.

djaymsu5
06-29-2016, 09:22 PM
He's a 2019 kid from GA. He's a left handed OF 6'2" 175lbs.

Thx

djaymsu5
06-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Hopefully Brent understands his breakout yr can move him into a top 5 round pick.

I know I mean there is only so much someone can offer a 38th round pick. I think Rook wants to come back. He could be an All-American next year the way he's been hitting the ball.

maroonmania
08-01-2016, 12:02 PM
When is the last day that drafted guys can sign pro contracts? Have we passed it yet?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2016, 12:28 PM
When is the last day that drafted guys can sign pro contracts? Have we passed it yet?

It was July 15

maroonmania
08-01-2016, 03:21 PM
It was July 15

Well then I guess we came out in decent shape. The only guy we lost that really stings to me was Kruger because he would have been in the heart of our batting order next season and I believe really wanted to come back. However, when they flash nearly 400K at you as a JR knowing you will be lucky to get 25K as a SR its hard to turn that down.