PDA

View Full Version : Holderman signed

Steakonastick
06-13-2016, 08:43 PM
signed for 400k with the Mets. Was a 9th round guy. Here is why you don't come back as a senior. 6th rd @Braves, M.Gonzalez, $25k; 8th rd @Rockies, T.Culbreth, $20k; 8th rd @Mets, P.Torres, $10k; 10th rd @Yankees, T.Lane, $10k.

Taog Redloh
06-13-2016, 08:52 PM
signed for 400k with the Mets. Was a 9th round guy. Here is why you don't come back as a senior. 6th rd @Braves, M.Gonzalez, $25k; 8th rd @Rockies, T.Culbreth, $20k; 8th rd @Mets, P.Torres, $10k; 10th rd @Yankees, T.Lane, $10k.

Curious what Kyle Funkhouser is going to get.

Irondawg
06-13-2016, 09:32 PM
I can't believe a bunch of college seniors haven't gotten together and filed a lawsuit claiming discrimination in the MLB draft. They hose those guys every year.

BB30
06-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Eh no grounds to file a lawsuit since they have the option to take it or leave it. No one is forcing them to sign. The draft is incredibly flawed. Teams underdrafting and not taking the best available to save money to sign highschool kids later in the draft. There is a lawsuit right now by minor league players for how much they are being paid though.

Irondawg
06-14-2016, 10:18 AM
You could prove a collusive behavior though couldn't you? I don't know enough about it honestly but I do know it seems they intentionally punish college seniors and where they are drafted almost becomes irrelevant.

Big4Dawg
06-14-2016, 10:19 AM
They just need to each draft slot have a price and you can't change it. Would fix a lot of stuff.

MarketingBully
06-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I agree with Big4Dawg here. If they forced teams to sign by slot value within say +/- 5%, that would fix 99% of the problems you are seeing right now. They need to do something soon though because this practice is going to get worse and worse as time goes by.

Taog Redloh
06-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I agree with Big4Dawg here. If they forced teams to sign by slot value within say +/- 5%, that would fix 99% of the problems you are seeing right now. They need to do something soon though because this practice is going to get worse and worse as time goes by.

Do they not already do that? ie, a guy who signs in Round 10 slot worth 150K, does he not get all of that? What's to keep some team from drafting a guy in Round 1 and offering 25K instead of 3 million or whatever?

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Do they not already do that? ie, a guy who signs in Round 10 slot worth 150K, does he not get all of that? What's to keep some team from drafting a guy in Round 1 and offering 25K instead of 3 million or whatever?

What a lot of teams are doing is drafting up some college seniors in the Top 10 rounds and essentially giving them little to no signing bonus to save up a pool of slot money. THEN, they go draft HS guys after round 10 who have indicated they probably want to go to college and throw a lot of extra cash at them that they have left over to see if they will bite. That is how we lost Fenter last year when everyone sort of thought we were safe to keep him. He was post round 10 and still got I believe right at 1 million dollars.

Irondawg
06-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Yep putting a number and allowing +/- 5% would solve everything.

Taog Redloh
06-14-2016, 11:29 AM
What a lot of teams are doing is drafting up some college seniors in the Top 10 rounds and essentially giving them little to no signing bonus to save up a pool of slot money. THEN, they go draft HS guys after round 10 who have indicated they probably want to go to college and throw a lot of extra cash at them that they have left over to see if they will bite. That is how we lost Fenter last year when everyone sort of thought we were safe to keep him. He was post round 10 and still got I believe right at 1 million dollars.

So what is the point of the slot system then? I thought that was the exact reason it was created a few years ago. Color me ignorant on this process.

smootness
06-14-2016, 11:54 AM
So what is the point of the slot system then? I thought that was the exact reason it was created a few years ago. Color me ignorant on this process.

The slot system was to keep teams with more money taking a lot of the best talent by promising to pay them more than other teams can. The slot system basically evens the playing field among teams. You can go over slot for guys, but to do it you usually have to take lesser talent elsewhere.

Taog Redloh
06-14-2016, 11:57 AM
The slot system was to keep teams with more money taking a lot of the best talent by promising to pay them more than other teams can. The slot system basically evens the playing field among teams. You can go over slot for guys, but to do it you usually have to take lesser talent elsewhere.

OK. Seems like they could accomplish the same by giving each team a pool of money based on their picks. Especially if they aren't going to honor the slot values. Again, I don't know how this works.

MarketingBully
06-14-2016, 12:12 PM
OK. Seems like they could accomplish the same by giving each team a pool of money based on their picks. Especially if they aren't going to honor the slot values. Again, I don't know how this works.

That's what they do. They give teams a pool of money and the teams can use said money anyway they wish to use it. If a team drafts a player in a $2 Million slot they can shave say $800K off of that and sign a lower value player to a $1.2 million contract to use that $800K to sign a player at a lower slot value. That's how Baltimore was able to sign Fenter last year as he was not going to sign for the value of where he was picked at (Round 8-10??). They were able to sign him for $1 million+. MLB had the right idea by using this pool system but there are some severe loop holes in it that teams are exploiting to the detriment of both players and college baseball.

Taog Redloh
06-14-2016, 12:54 PM
That's what they do. They give teams a pool of money and the teams can use said money anyway they wish to use it. If a team drafts a player in a $2 Million slot they can shave say $800K off of that and sign a lower value player to a $1.2 million contract to use that $800K to sign a player at a lower slot value. That's how Baltimore was able to sign Fenter last year as he was not going to sign for the value of where he was picked at (Round 8-10??). They were able to sign him for $1 million+. MLB had the right idea by using this pool system but there are some severe loop holes in it that teams are exploiting to the detriment of both players and college baseball.

No doubt. So if I'm following, there is ZERO reason for a draftee to EVER come back as a senior. I mean, let's say Lowe decides to come back and gets drafted in the 3rd round. It sounds like to me they could shaft him and sign him for 5K because he has no leverage. Is that right?

Homedawg
06-14-2016, 12:59 PM

Fenter went in the 7th or 8th.

maroonmania
06-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Fenter went in the 7th or 8th.

OK, I was just trying to go off memory which isn't that good.

smootness
06-14-2016, 01:17 PM
No doubt. So if I'm following, there is ZERO reason for a draftee to EVER come back as a senior. I mean, let's say Lowe decides to come back and gets drafted in the 3rd round. It sounds like to me they could shaft him and sign him for 5K because he has no leverage. Is that right?

Basically, yes. It's a good idea that mostly works, but there probably should be a floor, at least for the top rounds. I think it might work better to give each pick a slot value along with a minimum but still use the slot values to give each team an overall bonus pool.