PDA

View Full Version : Favor from Coach34

bulldawg28
06-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Coach34,

Tell your cigar boys that if or whenever Mullen leaves to hire Peter Sirmon as our head coach. I'm telling you now he has the "IT Factor".

Commercecomet24
06-13-2016, 08:28 PM
I agree. Think he's gonna be a good one!

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Coach34,

Tell your cigar boys that if or whenever Mullen leaves to hire Peter Sirmon as our head coach. I'm telling you now he has the "IT Factor".

I think we need to think about this a little more.

IMHO, if the Mullen tenure has taught us anything, it's that MSU should always hire an offensive minded coach that specializes in developing QBs. I believe this because the QB position is the one position the state of Mississippi has failed to consistently produce over the last 100 years & has often been the biggest shortcoming of our program historically.

Therefore, I see it as a necessity that we hire coaches that have the ability to recruit, develop, & manufacture quality QB play. I believe our sustained winning over the past 6 years is directly tied to that.

If MSU hires the QB guy as an assistant, he'll be gone in a year once anther school sees his ability.

bulldawg28
06-13-2016, 08:48 PM
I think we need to think about this a little more.

IMHO, if the Mullen tenure has taught us anything, it's that MSU should always hire an offensive minded coach that specializes in developing QBs. I believe this because the QB position is the one position the state of Mississippi has failed to consistently produce over the last 100 years & has often been the biggest shortcoming of our program historically.

Therefore, I see it as a necessity that we hire coaches that have the ability to recruit, develop, & manufacture quality QB play. I believe our sustained winning over the past 6 years is directly tied to that.

If MSU hires the QB guy as an assistant, he'll be gone in a year once anther school sees his ability.

I disgree. A offensive guy that develops Qb's is called a good offensive coordinator. That's not necessarily a head coach requirement.

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2016, 08:53 PM
I disgree. A offensive guy that develops Qb's is called a good offensive coordinator. That's not necessarily a head coach requirement.

If that offensive coordinator is any good at his job, you won't be able to keep him for more than a few years, whereas you can keep a head coach. Offensive minds & quality QB coaches are in way too much of demand for us to hold on to that guy once he proves himself. It has to be the head coach or you'll have massive instability.

WinningIsRelentless
06-13-2016, 08:58 PM

Besides saban what other defense first head coach has had much success in the past ten years

mic
06-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Let's just hope we can keep Sirmon here for a few years as DC...
But yes I agree he if Dan leaves for whatever reason next couple years then he better be one of our top choices..

mic
06-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Besides saban what other defense first head coach has had much success in the past ten years

Kyle Whittingham
Mike Dantonio
Gary Patterson
Come to my mind real quick

PassInterference
06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Offensive HC's have more success than defensive HC's.

It's easy to have good defense at MSU. Croom did it. Sherrill did it. Mullen does OK, not great, even though he has switched DCs every year.

We have NEVER had the offensive success thst we've had under offensive coaches. Mullen beats the rest by country miles. Bellard put up some numbers until his one trick pony died.

bulldawg28
06-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Offensive HC's have more success than defensive HC's.

It's easy to have good defense at MSU. Croom did it. Sherrill did it. Mullen does OK, not great, even though he has switched DCs every year.

We have NEVER had the offensive success thst we've had under offensive coaches. Mullen beats the rest by country miles. Bellard put up some numbers until his one trick pony died.

He's not your typical DC. His thought process is totally different.

defiantdog
06-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Coach34,

Cigar boys have aged and moved on.... Besides, country clubs' are cigar free inside.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-13-2016, 09:45 PM

bulldawg18....if you don't mind, I'd like for you to expound on your post as to why you think this way. I'm asking because all I know about Sirmon is what I've read, which honestly isn't all that much. You obviously have seen, heard, been told or even talked to the man himself for you to feel this way. Just curious to know more of why you are so high on him. Thanks.

Coach34
06-13-2016, 09:46 PM

He is definitely impressing people. I hope he is the coach many people think he is

missouridawg
06-13-2016, 09:46 PM
Kyle Whittingham
Mike Dantonio
Gary Patterson
Come to my mind real quick

Double check Utahs "success" since joining a real conference.
Mike Dantonio has had multiple NFL QBs recently.
Gary Patterson was 4-8 in the first big12 season before a ditching his old offense and going uptempo and getting Boykin.

All 3 of your suggestions just don't fit the narrative.

bulldawg28
06-13-2016, 10:04 PM

Jack Lambert
06-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Whats going to happen is our defense will be real good and he will leave for another job, Ole miss will spread rumors of Mullen leaving for another job with aid from the **** Paper in Jackson and recruiting will be bad and both the egg bowl and bowl game defensive plan will suck. It's that way every year.

Mjoelner34
06-13-2016, 10:08 PM
bulldawg18....if you don't mind, I'd like for you to expound on your post as to why you think this way. I'm asking because all I know about Sirmon is what I've read, which honestly isn't all that much. You obviously have seen, heard, been told or even talked to the man himself for you to feel this way. Just curious to know more of why you are so high on him. Thanks.

Not bulldawg18 but one thing I heard that he said impressed me and I can't find it now. I've always heard DC's say that they are going to put the best 11 on the field an build a defense to fit them. I heard Sirmon say that he was going to look at the offenses we were playing against and that he was going to build a defense to stop that offense. In other words, you won't see the same defense against Bama and LSU as you will against aTm and UNM.

TUSK
06-13-2016, 10:10 PM
If you aren't losing Assistant Coaches & Coordinators on a regular basis, then you aren't hiring very well...

When asked about his coaches leaving for better jobs, Tha Bahr said "I love to lose 'em"....

bulldawg28
06-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Not bulldawg18 but one thing I heard that he said impressed me and I can't find it now. I've always heard DC's say that they are going to put the best 11 on the field an build a defense to fit them. I heard Sirmon say that he was going to look at the offenses we were playing against and that he was going to build a defense to stop that offense. In other words, you won't see the same defense against Bama and LSU as you will against aTm and UNM.

That's one indication I knew he was special and I'm not bulldawg18 either.

Jack Lambert
06-13-2016, 10:13 PM
If you aren't losing Assistant Coaches & Coordinators on a regular basis, then you aren't hiring very well...

When asked about his coaches leaving for better jobs, Tha Bahr said "I love to lose 'em"....

Ole Miss never loses a coach. I guess they are so deep in cheating no one wants them.

TUSK
06-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Ole Miss never loses a coach. I guess they are so deep in cheating no one wants them.

They fire em (HCs) before they can lose em...

WingNut was the only one I can remember that upgraded....

mic
06-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Double check Utahs "success" since joining a real conference.
Mike Dantonio has had multiple NFL QBs recently.
Gary Patterson was 4-8 in the first big12 season before a ditching his old offense and going uptempo and getting Boykin.

All 3 of your suggestions just don't fit the narrative.

All 3 are former DC..
Just because they use a up tempo offense doesn't change anything..
They all fit the narrative..
And Utah did pretty well this year in the Pac 12.. And will compete this year ... And he has done something Mullen has yet to do.. beat Saban..

bulldawg28
06-13-2016, 11:34 PM
All 3 are former DC..
And Utah did pretty well this year in the Pac 12.. And will compete this year ... And he has done something Mullen has yet to do.. beat Saban..

This

Commercecomet24
06-13-2016, 11:46 PM

That scheming for each specific team and offense/defense sure works for Belichik. I know he's NFL, but I think it's a great approach and shows forward thinking by Sirmon.

Madisonmd
06-14-2016, 04:48 AM
Lets get Sirmons family here before we start the HC talk

Dawgfan77
06-14-2016, 07:46 AM

What is the Latest with that

bulldawg28
06-14-2016, 07:51 AM

His family will come if he's head coach. They're finishing things they've started there. You can't blame them for that.

Madisonmd
06-14-2016, 07:56 AM
no, his daughter tried out for cheerleader with my niece at Brentwood Academy in TN. They have chosen not to live in MS. Doesn't speak to longevity

Saltydog
06-14-2016, 07:57 AM
keep good coaches.......We're a revolving door of DC's and that's an issue.........

Gutter Cobreh
06-14-2016, 08:52 AM
no, his daughter tried out for cheerleader with my niece at Brentwood Academy in TN. They have chosen not to live in MS. Doesn't speak to longevity

No offense, but I don't put a whole lot of stock in the fact that if the families don't move then he must be a short timer. He hasn't worked in Nashville since 2012. I'm sure they have the distance aspect worked out, plus Starkville is closer to Nashville than Seattle or L.A.

If I were in the same position, not sure I would move my family either especially when factoring in kids and their school....

Johnson85
06-14-2016, 08:59 AM
All 3 are former DC..

We can take our athletes and be successful even with a new DC every two or three years. We've done ok on defense with even more turnover than that under Mullen. And even then, what's kept us from being better is not a lack of understanding, it's that we've simply lacked the horses at some key positions (particularly lacking a pass rusher for a couple of years).

I don't think it's realistic at all to think that you're going to rotate a new Offensive coordinator in every two or three years and maintain even a decent offense. Especially not with the level of recruiting that we can realistically maintain. If the best option is a defensive minded coach, then that's the best option, but we should lean heavily towards an offensive coach simply because short of getting lucky with a guy on the tail end of his career who simply doesn't want to keep moving, we are not going to keep a good coordinator for long.

TrapGame
06-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Whats going to happen is our defense will be real good and he will leave for another job, Ole miss will spread rumors of Mullen leaving for another job with aid from the **** Paper in Jackson and recruiting will be bad and both the egg bowl and bowl game defensive plan will suck. It's that way every year.

Damn Jack, don't be going all Nostradamus on us.

bulldawg28
06-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Damn Jack, don't be going all Nostradamus on us.

Lol...especially like this.