PDA

View Full Version : Most Painful MSU Losses of All Time

oildawg
06-13-2016, 04:25 PM
The amount of pain that certain losses cause... depends to some degree on your personal situation, where you live, other things going on in your life... Although the regional loss to Arizona was somewhat painful, it probably falls as #8 for me. What about you?

Here's my top 8:

8) 2016 Baseball - regional loss to Arizona. Really felt like we had a shot at winning the national championship
7) 1992 Egg Bowl - 17-10 in Oxford. Had like a zillion plays inside their 10 yard line and couldn't knock it in. Walking out of the stadium (in the snow), I realized I shouldn't get overly invested...
6) 1996 Final Four loss to Syracuse - we had a legitimate shot of a national title.
5) 1991 MBB 20 point loss to Eastern Michigan - finally get back to the NCAA tournament, only to get blasted by a no-name 12 seed. Darn it, Todd Merritt...
4) 1997 Egg Bowl - 15-14. Felt like we controlled nearly the entire game, but the 14-7 lead didn't hold. This one (and the next 3) physically hurt me. Taught me a life lesson - never rely on a small margin...
3) 1988 Baseball Regional - Cal State Fullerton. This was before marriage, job, children, etc - so I had a lot to invest into MSU baseball. I was in HS, and Dad and I went to it...
2) 1989 Baseball Regional - North Carolina. To this day, I still don't like UNC baseball. It still kind of hurts to even think about it. Same deal, in HS, and Dad took me to it.
1) 1985 College World Series - Miami. Greg Ellena. How I wish I could forget that name.

Homedawg
06-13-2016, 04:28 PM
84 baseball has to make way up there too....Clark and palmeiro were lights out that year and we lost to freaking uno at our place, ugh. Kudos to you though, pretty good list.

Homedawg
06-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Add the 81 and 83 egg bowl of we are talking shear pain involved.

Johnson85
06-13-2016, 04:34 PM
1.) 2014 Ole Miss - In hindsight, maybe we wouldn't have been in the playoffs regardless, but painful to the point of being mindnumbing to simply not show up to play in a game of that magnitude.
2) Syracuse in 1996 semifinals - The pain was eased a lot by the satisfaction of just getting to the final four, but still tough to just not show up, particularly Bullard.

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Heck, I would put the UCLA losses in the 2013 CWS WAY up there. The only time in the history of the school that we have actually gotten the opportunity in a major men's sport to play for a NC and we didn't pull through. May never get the chance again for all I know.

Rick Danko
06-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Heck, I would put the UCLA losses in the 2013 CWS WAY up there. The only time in the history of the school that we have actually gotten the opportunity in a major men's sport to play for a NC and we didn't pull through. May never get the chance again for all I know.

This all day, how this is not the glaring number one is beyond me. To be that close and lose it like we did is a sickness that will stick with me for years to come

shoeless joe
06-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Mine isn't based on the teams position but just how bad I felt after the game.

2011 at auburn. I physically hurt after that game...it ruined my week. I've never been that invested in a single game since. I now just find joy in the experience of a good season versus feeling like each game is life or death.

Liverpooldawg
06-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Whatever the closest 8 Egg Bowl losses since I've been aware of MSU football are. 81 and 83 had to be the worst. The Final 4 loss was close. I don't care enough about baseball for a baseball loss to hurt.

BulldogBear
06-13-2016, 05:14 PM
Heck, I would put the UCLA losses in the 2013 CWS WAY up there. The only time in the history of the school that we have actually gotten the opportunity in a major men's sport to play for a NC and we didn't pull through. May never get the chance again for all I know. Basically I'd go with this line of thinking and therefore agree with...

This all day, how this is not the glaring number one is beyond me. To be that close and lose it like we did is a sickness that will stick with me for years to come

...this

Mine isn't based on the teams position but just how bad I felt after the game.

2011 at auburn. I physically hurt after that game...it ruined my week. I've never been that invested in a single game since. I now just find joy in the experience of a good season versus feeling like each game is life or death.

If I went with this way of thinking I'd go with one y'all will probably never dream of. It is the one that started the 1-21 stretch against LSU though I wouldn't of course have known that was coming at the time. It was 1992 and we were just coming off thumping Texas 28-10 in Austin. It was Jackie's 2nd season and we had a pretty good team and high hopes. Went down to LSU week 2 and diddled around to the 4th quarter letting them hang around and it was only 3-3. A sheitshow of a 4th quarter later we lost 24-3 to LSU's worst team in program history with a 2-9 final record. I listened to it on my small radio with earphones while I was at Ole miss-Tulane game with my girlfriend at the time. The Rebels' game ended first and we were walking back to our car through the Grove no less. At one point in the 4th I ripped off my earphones and let them fly along with the radio. Maybe they are still in the Grove to this day!

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Plus I can't believe the 1998 SEC Championship game loss in football isn't on the list. There again, I may never see an MSU football team play for an SEC title again and we had the lead with 7 freakin' minutes to go.

SaintDawg
06-13-2016, 05:18 PM
1983 Egg Bowl. Will sting forever.

Fred Garvin
06-13-2016, 05:30 PM
1) 1981 Egg Bowl
2) 0-74 vs Houston in 1969

preachermatt83
06-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Losing to Arky in the Sleet in has to be way up there for me. We were headed towards greatness

preachermatt83
06-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Losing to Maine sucked pretty bad too.

confucius say
06-13-2016, 06:15 PM
2015 egg bowl too. I expected the 2014 loss, but I bought into the home team wins the egg bowl narrative and really thought we would win, which meant sugar bowl. Then I had to listen to an ass clown neighbor blare Dixie for 30 minutes.

It_Could_Happen
06-13-2016, 06:29 PM
1. 2016 Baseball
2. 2015 Egg Bowl
3. 2015 Bama Football
4. 2013 UCLA Baseball (Just had a feeling it was a Bad matchup.
5. Tyson Lee Goal Line.

Taog Redloh
06-13-2016, 06:55 PM
2013 baseball UCLA Game 1
2011 football at Auburn
2009 football LSU

I've handled a lot of losses really well, but those were just sickening.

dparker
06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Losing to Arky in the Sleet in has to be way up there for me. We were headed towards greatness

This was the first one that came to my mind. Mainly because it was literally, physically painful. My feet were frozen and then it goes to OT. It was a painful walk back to the car at the ROTC building.

LC Dawg
06-13-2016, 07:35 PM
2014 Bama game. Until then I had done a pretty good job for over 20 years of not getting fully invested in anything Mississippi State because of all the pain they had caused me. My attendance at all three of the top 5 games and the subsequent #1 ranking screwed my head up to the point that I really did believe. When we started the game with our heads completely in our asses I was so pissed that I would have punched a nun if I knew it would make me feel better.

tcdog70
06-13-2016, 07:43 PM
****ing John Fourcade sneaking it in then running by our sideline shaking the ball in our face.

msbulldog
06-13-2016, 08:07 PM
Last years loss to unm and every Egg Bowl loss before that! I'm from Vicksburg, a town full of unm fans. I have had several fights over bets on that game, (usually did better than the team did). I can't stand to go back there anymore, until we win the Egg Bowl, I don't want to hear their BS anymore, I might find myself in the pokey.

Bodaski
06-13-2016, 08:14 PM
91 Bama when Michael Montgomery jumped off-sides on the 2 yd 1st and goal and the 91 Tennessee game we lost 26-24 in the last minute. Both were on the road and we had the chance and didn't get it done.

Engine
06-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Cam Newton loss

Last two Egg Bowls

3-2

Syracuse - Final Four

Xavier

UCLA in Omaha

UK tip in loss in the Hump

UK in the SEC tournament.

BulldogBear
06-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Cam Newton loss

Last two Egg Bowls

3-2

Syracuse - Final Four

Xavier

UCLA in Omaha

UK tip in loss in the Hump

UK in the SEC tournament.

Oh my, I had forgotten all about 3-2. Took my son, an eleven year old at the time. By the end he was beating his head (not hard enough to scare a parent) on the bleacher every time we would punt...again.

I still stand by the 1992 LSU game though.

fader2103
06-13-2016, 08:47 PM
1983 Egg Bowl
SEC championship game

tcdog70
06-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Sitting in the midst of Butler Fans and watching their scrawny white guard drive the length of the court and bounce a layup in. The sad thing was we had a foul to give. I'm still pissed.

Engine
06-14-2016, 05:32 AM
The sad thing is there are so many to choose from.

2001 South Carolina when we should have been a beastly team. Followed by 52-0 in the Swamp, close loss at auburn and then to really hammer the point Troy State in a monsoon.

**** Troy St.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-14-2016, 07:25 AM
1999 Bama, 2000 Arkansas

tcdog70
06-14-2016, 10:03 AM
How about the "WHO DAT" against Alcorn -the wildest the HUMP has Ever been. Larry "MR MEAN" Smith hitting the little hook shot to take us down. Jim Hatfield a coach that could rival the shittyness of Rick Ray.

jumbo
06-14-2016, 10:08 AM
2009 LSU

2010 Auburn

Corn Bread
06-14-2016, 10:13 AM
The amount of pain that certain losses cause... depends to some degree on your personal situation, where you live, other things going on in your life... Although the regional loss to Arizona was somewhat painful, it probably falls as #8 for me. What about you?

Here's my top 8:

8) 2016 Baseball - regional loss to Arizona. Really felt like we had a shot at winning the national championship
7) 1992 Egg Bowl - 17-10 in Oxford. Had like a zillion plays inside their 10 yard line and couldn't knock it in. Walking out of the stadium (in the snow), I realized I shouldn't get overly invested...
6) 1996 Final Four loss to Syracuse - we had a legitimate shot of a national title.
5) 1991 MBB 20 point loss to Eastern Michigan - finally get back to the NCAA tournament, only to get blasted by a no-name 12 seed. Darn it, Todd Merritt...
4) 1997 Egg Bowl - 15-14. Felt like we controlled nearly the entire game, but the 14-7 lead didn't hold. This one (and the next 3) physically hurt me. Taught me a life lesson - never rely on a small margin...
3) 1988 Baseball Regional - Cal State Fullerton. This was before marriage, job, children, etc - so I had a lot to invest into MSU baseball. I was in HS, and Dad and I went to it...
2) 1989 Baseball Regional - North Carolina. To this day, I still don't like UNC baseball. It still kind of hurts to even think about it. Same deal, in HS, and Dad took me to it.
1) 1985 College World Series - Miami. Greg Ellena. How I wish I could forget that name.

2009 LSU Game, All Lee had to do was pitch it to Dixon and he runs to Columbus. Tyson, love ya but you never had a chance at running through that line. And on top of that muddy from head to toe.

dawgs
06-14-2016, 10:44 AM
2014 egg bowl. No question. Hurts more than the 2013 CWS and 1996 final 4 because at least in those we got to the final weekend. That egg bowl loss may have cost us a shot at a CFB playoff, which is much tougher for a non-traditional power to reach than the final 4 or CWS final.

drunkernhelldawg
06-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Football 1994 vs. Alabama. Up by 10 with five minutes left. Lost by 4. (29-25)

sandwolf
06-14-2016, 10:58 AM
2011 at auburn. I physically hurt after that game...it ruined my week.

+1. I legitimately thought I was going to vomit when Relf got cut down at the goal line. That game made me completely change the way I approach my MSU football fandom.....I have pulled way back on my emotional investment. I still get into the game and enjoy the wins and bitch about the losses, but I no longer get so emotionally invested that a loss can make me feel physically ill.....it's just not worth it.

Political Hack
06-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Lots of pain reading through this one.

redstickdawg
06-14-2016, 12:32 PM
my last game as a student and resulted in a severe dent in my cowbell, 1983 Egg Bowl. f'in wind gust

Jarius
06-14-2016, 01:09 PM
I think that the invention of the Internet and social media has made losses tougher to deal with. Rival fans are much more idiotic online and you endure much more verbal trashing throughout the year after a rivalry loss. That's why the 2014 and 15 egg bowls are at the top of my list. Football is king and hurts the worst. The 97 Egg Bowl and 99 Bama football game were really hard to swallow as well. I drove all the way to Omaha to see us lose twice to ucla but in a way it wasn't as painful for me for some reason.

blacklistedbully
06-14-2016, 01:55 PM
1981 has to have been the most painful season from the perspective of tough losses and the consequences.

Not only did that year feature the screw job by ref Dick Pace that cost us the win vs UNM, it also included the 7-6 loss to USM in a game we dominated defensively, and the 13-10 loss to Bama where we had the ball 1st & goal inside the Bama 10 with time running out, only to throw an INT off a pass deflection.

Consider we went into that Bama game ranked #7 vs #8 Bama. Win that game and we are almost assuredly top-5 going into the game vs then #20 USM. No question we should have beat USM, as we held them to 195 yds total offense, with their offense crossing midfield once the entire game. A fumbled punt return by us gave them their 7 points. USM had a salty defense as well, but we had backup QB Tim Parenton playing instead of John Bond, and we ended the game at the USM 33 yard line on a failed 4th & 1.

After that we beat LSU, then came UNM. It's safe to say, had we not blown it vs Bama & USM, we would have gone into the Egg Bowl as a NC contender. We should have, or at least very easily could have been 10-1 after the Egg Bowl.

THAT was a tough, tough season to swallow, with the Egg Bowl rip-off the most painful of losses.

BTW, according to John Bond, Dick Pace wrote a letter to Coach Bellard after, admitting he screwed us and apologized for it.

bulldogcountry1
06-14-2016, 02:38 PM
2012 Bama.

I have endured many heartbreaks, but the 2012 Bama game broke something inside of me and changed my attitude about sports in general. We rolled into that game 7-0 and riding high. Everyone knew we had played a soft schedule, but we had made it look pretty easy. I was all in and thought we actually had a chance to compete with anyone. Bama put us in our place that day, and I can still remember the looks on the players' and coaches' faces. It wasn't the look of simple defeat. It was the realization that we aren't in the class as them.

Even though I am primarily a baseball fan, I made my mind up after that game that I would never let myself get hurt like that again. It was the last straw in a series of heartbreaks over the years. It has been very liberating. I am able to enjoy the good moments, but not lose sleep over the bad ones.

BrunswickDawg
06-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Man are we a masochistic bunch.....

'92 Bama was my first "I believe" gut punch since I didn't follow State until I started school. I was so pissed I couldn't even drink.
SEC Title Game in '98 when for about 3 minutes I thought we were going to be SEC Champs
'14 Bama
'96 Syracuse Final Four

tcdog70
06-14-2016, 03:37 PM
1981 has to have been the most painful season from the perspective if tough losses and the consequences.

Not only did that year feature the screw job by ref Dick pace that cost is the win vs UNM, it also included the 7-6 loss to USM in a game we dominated, and the 13-10 loss to Bama where we had the ball 1st & goal inside the Bama 10 with time running out, only to throw an INT off a pass deflection.

Consider we went into that Bama game ranked #7 vs #8 Bama. Win that game and we are almost assuredly top-5 going into the game vs then #20 USM. No question we should have beat USM, as we held them to 195 yds total offense, with their offense crossing midfield once the entire game. A fumbled punt return by us gave them their 7 points. USM had a salty defense as well, but we had backup QB Tim Parenton playing instead of John Bond, and we ended the game at the USM 33 yard line on a failed 4th & 1.

After that we beat LSU, then came UNM. It's safe to say, had we not blown it vs Bama & USM, we would have gone into the Egg Bowl as a NC contender. We should have, or at least very easily could have been 10-1 after the Egg Bowl.

THAT was a tough, tough season to swallow, with the Egg Bowl rip-off the most painful of losses.

BW, according to John Bond, Dick Pace wrote a letter to Coach Bellard after admitting he screwed us and apologized for it.

After that year a PI penalty in the endzone was just 15 yards not placed on the 2. Bellard screwed us by doing the damn squib kickoff and gave them the ball at midfield. Dick Pace the worst call in MSU history.