PDA

View Full Version : Delvin Zinn...

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Noticed he was drafted in the 23rd round by the Cubs. But also, I see the he batted .411 at ICC this year. Maybe it was a mistake letting him go after fall ball. I would have never thought he would have hit over .400 in JUCO.

Coursesuper
06-13-2016, 11:31 AM
He needed go somewhere he could play and get reps. That wasn't going to happen at State.

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 11:35 AM
He needed go somewhere he could play and get reps. That wasn't going to happen at State.

Maybe, but we were down at one point to only Gridley and Holland as MIFs while Stovall was hurt. Was Zinn not a good defender?

Homedawg
06-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Icc doesn't equal sec. Wouldn't have played this year anyway.

ScottH
06-13-2016, 12:00 PM
How did he get drafted? Age?

Delvin had a pretty good fall. He just needed more reps and good coaching.

Prior to this year hear had never focused on baseball. I remember Coach Ming saying his best baseball was way in front of him.

Homedawg
06-13-2016, 12:09 PM
You can be drafted after any year of juco.

shoeless joe
06-13-2016, 12:11 PM
He was nowhere near an SEC caliber player this year. He has tools for sure...

ScottH
06-13-2016, 12:11 PM
You can be drafted after any year of juco.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Do many freshmen get drafted?

Homedawg
06-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks. I didn't know that. Do many freshmen get drafted?

Oh yea happens a lot

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Icc doesn't equal sec. Wouldn't have played this year anyway.

No, but I was thinking Zinn only batted in the low to mid .300s in HS and JUCO is a significant step up from HS. If he was an adequate defender it wouldn't have been out of the question that he could have played some during the stretch where we were having all the injury issues to infielders.

msstate7
06-13-2016, 12:32 PM
No, but I was thinking Zinn only batted in the low to mid .300s in HS and JUCO is a significant step up from HS. If he was an adequate defender it wouldn't have been out of the question that he could have played some during the stretch where we were having all the injury issues to infielders.

MLB thought zinn was a better player than holland. Would holland have hit 400+ at juco? Somehow I doubt it.

BankerDog
06-13-2016, 12:40 PM
The guy made plays all over the infield during the fall. To the poster who said that .411 in Juco didn't equate to SEC; you must've hated us taking Brett Pirtle and Luke Reynolds who hit worse in Juco. We didn't cut Zinn. He was asked to RS and wanted to play. He was also taken by the Cubs out of HS

Homedawg
06-13-2016, 01:14 PM
MLB thought zinn was a better player than holland. Would holland have hit 400+ at juco? Somehow I doubt it.

Don't confuse the draft w college success. See Tatum. Mlb thought he was a worthy draft pick.........

Homedawg
06-13-2016, 01:15 PM
The guy made plays all over the infield during the fall. To the poster who said that .411 in Juco didn't equate to SEC; you must've hated us taking Brett Pirtle and Luke Reynolds who hit worse in Juco. We didn't cut Zinn. He was asked to RS and wanted to play. He was also taken by the Cubs out of HS

Never said he was never going to play. But he wasn't going to play this year. He was our 5th middle infielder, thus, the reason he was asked to redshirt. Not a hard concept to grasp.

msstate7
06-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Don't confuse the draft w college success. See Tatum. Mlb thought he was a worthy draft pick.........
I realize that, but it's not like holland was a college success. I know it's hindsight, but I think we would've been a much better team with zinn and Reynolds in place of smith and holland. Oh well, we were good anyway

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 01:46 PM

Actually Holland did hit over .400 at JUCO after he transferred there from FSU the year before coming to MSU. Holland gets a bad rap but he looked to be a good hitter last year at times and was actually decent at the end of this year after he had fully recovered from his fall injury and got back in a rhythm.