PDA

View Full Version : Will next year be a down year (baseball)

Bullsy
06-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Compared to this year?

Coach34
06-12-2016, 12:52 PM
We have to wait and see who all signs. If Kruger returns along with Rook- that gives us a solid middle of the line-up next season. Will Gordon develop? Does a signee come in and make an impact? We have some quality young arms- they need to have good summers.

We went from worst to first- so ya never know

Steakonastick
06-12-2016, 01:16 PM
The overall talent will be better. But we will need a lot of these freshmen to make major jumps. we also hit goldmines this year with our juco kids. Lowe, Kruger, Rigby and Blake Smith We're amazing additions. Can Goldwater and Bragg be middle of the lineup type of bats?

Pretty sure we have 10 kids in the cape this summer so that just shows you the talent we have.

ScoobaDawg
06-12-2016, 01:18 PM
You to have to think so. We are losing a ton of pitching.
Asking the "young" team to win an SEC Championship next year will be a pretty tall task.
But I sure don't expect us to fall back down to worst either.
So..a step back..after we overachieved on this year.
But 2017 and then watching our players in the cape in 2017 will set the tone of just how high the goal should be for 2018.

msstate7
06-12-2016, 01:19 PM
The overall talent will be better. But we will need a lot of these freshmen to make major jumps. we also hit goldmines this year with our juco kids. Lowe, Kruger, Rigby and Blake Smith We're amazing additions. Can Goldwater and Bragg be middle of the lineup type of bats?

Pretty sure we have 10 kids in the cape this summer so that just shows you the talent we have.

Is Alexander playing summer ball?

Steakonastick
06-12-2016, 01:21 PM
I expect him to be having surgery this week on his hand. Same injury as Collins had.

Steakonastick
06-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Bourne-
Marrero
Mangum

Brewster-
Gridley,
Rooker
Collins (doubt you see him)
Pillkington

Hyannis-
Barlow

Chatham-
breaux

Cotuit-
Rigby
Padgett

Wareham-
Small

msstate7
06-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Bourne-
Marrero
Mangum

Brewster-
Gridley,
Rooker
Collins (doubt you see him)
Pillkington

Hyannis-
Barlow

Chatham-
breaux

Cotuit-
Rigby
Padgett

Wareham-
Small

How are these players assigned to teams?

I seen it dawg
06-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Is Alexander playing summer ball?

No. And this won't help him make the jump he needs to make as a hitter.

Coach34
06-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Gridley will be the SS next year

Steakonastick
06-12-2016, 02:41 PM
A lot of politics involved. A lot of it is relationships with the coaching staffs on teams. Then also it's where you can get guys work that you want. Our staff will give every player and their team a list of things to work on this summer.

A good example would be Rigby. I would assume his first objective is to work on his off speed stuff. Mangum to work on hitting from the right side or even hit some left on left.

Bothrops
06-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Parker Ford. What's he expected to do?

Bullsy
06-12-2016, 02:55 PM
I think we wil be "ok" next year. Maybe a 2 or 3 seed in a regional. But 2018 should be a year that we can make a serious run

maroonmania
06-12-2016, 03:20 PM
I think we wil be "ok" next year. Maybe a 2 or 3 seed in a regional. But 2018 should be a year that we can make a serious run

If the pitching class from last year was all it was thought to be we should be VERY good next year. I'm mean the bulk of those guys will be SO with some being RSFR. But I am sick and tired of us taking 3 freakin' years to get a productive year out of highly rated players to then just see them move on to pro ball. That is for the birds. We need 4 or 5 of those freshman guys on the mound to make big jumps next year. If they don't, then either we can't develop worth a crap or we signed some really overrated guys on the mound. If you relate it to football recruiting, guys that aren't expected to contribute until their third year are 3 star guys, not 4 and 5 star guys.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Parker Ford. What's he expected to do?

Continue to recover from Tommy John surgery.

GTHOM
06-12-2016, 03:25 PM
So Nate Lowe is gone??

msstate7
06-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Continue to recover from Tommy John surgery.

Who does TJ surgery for our pitchers? Does the school pay for it?

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 03:30 PM
We have a lot of question marks. We'll know how good our starters are going to be based on their summers. I do think our bullpen will be solid though. But how much will we have to rely on them? How the JUCO's do also will affect things. We need LA to get healthy.

Also, we need to see what our SEC schedule looks like.

At worst we should still make a regional with what is assumed at this point.

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 03:31 PM
I'm putting my money on Padgett to grab one of the weekend slots. The kid has two plus pitches (fastball, curveball) so he should be great next year.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Who does TJ surgery for our pitchers? Does the school pay for it?

I know some have used Linton and some have used Dr. Andrew's group. Honestly not sure if the school pays for it or not. My guess is the school does.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm putting my money on Padgett to grab one of the weekend slots. The kid has two plus pitches (fastball, curveball) so he should be great next year.

He could. He just played at a tiny high school and has to make a little more of an adjustment due to that. I think he might end up being our closer though.

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 05:30 PM

SMDH

Coach34
06-12-2016, 05:43 PM
SMDH

shake it all you want- Belmont won't be able to swing a bat for the next 4 months. We all saw how Collins struggled last year after having that surgery. Belmont doesn't hit well any way- him missing 4-5 months ain't gonna help things.

Look for Grid to be the SS

BorneDawg
06-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Defensively Alexander is better but bat could hold him back

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2016, 07:42 PM
I think we'll be good again. We just need a few freshmen pitchers to take a step forward.

Small, Breaux, Pagett, Pilkington, etc are excellent talents. Give Wes a year with these guys and I think we'll be fine

Spiderman
06-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Compared to this year?

Yep

Joe Schmedlap
06-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Compared to this year?

Why the hell shoud it be? Good programs don't make excuses for "down years". They just reload. See TCU for an example. I've read that our recruiting has been and continues to be very, very good. If that indeed the case, there shouldn't be down years, only good years and even better years. Then again, that didn't help us out in 2015, did it?

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-13-2016, 08:20 AM
So Nate Lowe is gone??

"I'd have to say yeah."

He sent out a thank you letter to fans thanking them for his time at Dudy Noble. Had a very "good bye" feel to it.

Jack Lambert
06-13-2016, 08:20 AM
Our young guys will play some summer leagues and get better. We will be alright.

msstate7
06-13-2016, 08:54 AM
"I'd have to say yeah."

He sent out a thank you letter to fans thanking them for his time at Dudy Noble. Had a very "good bye" feel to it.
Chance to play MiLB and potentially MLB baseball with his brother. He gone