PDA

View Full Version : The Hangover...

SaintDawg
06-12-2016, 09:53 AM
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the comedian Nick Swardson, but he had a funny bit awhile back that I think we all can relate to after last night:

I saw a friend out one night partying. We spoke briefly and he told me to text him later. The next morning I sent a text that read: How was your night?
His response: Dude... I broke up with my girlfriend, punched my roommate, and shit my pants. I don't know which one to take care of first.

My point being, looking back on the season, it was a ton of fun. A big party, if you will. We all know what happens. Highs and lows. Buds one second and then enemies the next and then we make up and are buds again. I've briefly looked at posts on here after last night's loss and we are saying stuff that we don't mean. We're mad. We should be. We deserve to be. Some of us were drunk. It happens and it's fine. But, you gotta reflect on the party and how much damn fun it was.

2016 SEC Conference Champs
2 All Americans
The Ferris Trophy winner
A 1st round draft pick
Multiple other draft picks
and we stomped OM's ass all season.... the list goes on.

Some will "look the gift horse in the mouth" and say that we didn't make Omaha or win the Natty so the season was a failure. They have their right to that opinion.

Some will read this and disect it and make fun. Some will troll... whatever. But it was a good party, a fun party, and a fun season and there will be many, many more.

Just remember, Mississippi State baseball doesn't rebuild anymore... it RELOADS. HAIL STATE

msbulldog
06-12-2016, 09:58 AM
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the comedian Nick Swardson, but he had a funny bit awhile back that I think we all can relate to after last night:

I saw a friend out one night partying. We spoke briefly and he told me to text him later. The next morning I sent a text that read: How was your night?
His response: Dude... I broke up with my girlfriend, punched my roommate, and shit my pants. I don't know which one to take care of first.

My point being, looking back on the season, it was a ton of fun. A big party, if you will. We all know what happens. Highs and lows. Buds one second and then enemies the next and then we make up and are buds again. I've briefly looked at posts on here after last night's loss and we are saying stuff that we don't mean. We're mad. We should be. We deserve to be. Some of us were drunk. It happens and it's fine. But, you gotta reflect on the party and how much damn fun it was.

2 All Americans
The Ferris Trophy winner
A 1st round draft pick

Some will "look the gift horse in the mouth" and say that we didn't make Omaha or win the Natty so the season was a failure. They have their right to that opinion.

Some will read this and disect it and make fun. Some will troll... whatever. But it was a good party, a fun party, and a fun season and there will be many, many more.

Just remember, Mississippi State baseball doesn't rebuild anymore... it RELOADS. HAIL STATE

^^^^I like it^^^^ HAIL STATE!

Coach34
06-12-2016, 10:39 AM
We absolutely had a successful season. A Super appearance in any season guarantees that. Plus we got some hardware.

PassInterference
06-12-2016, 11:23 AM
It was a great ride.

Sports can seem disappointing when your team loses a game where they didn't perform their best.

Any team in the Supers could have beaten any other teams in the Supers and this wasn't our time.

This team was on fire down the stretch, won the SEC, and hosted a Super as national seed while having the 2nd biggest Super crowd ever (#1 must also be us).

This team has been fun to watch. The whole lineup can hit. Four pitchers that can dominate. All the guys have fun on the field and the fans have fun watching them.

I plan to attend more games next year.

TUSK
06-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Thank god "we" have football season to bring us all closer*...

that was a pretty solid post, tho...kudos...

Commercecomet24
06-12-2016, 03:52 PM

2 All Americans
The Ferris Trophy winner
A 1st round draft pick

Excellent post! Gotta put things in perspective even with the disappointing end. It was a great season and a fun team to watch!

archdog
06-13-2016, 08:09 AM
In a world of 4th grade graduations, I would say this season was a fun one but way short of our goal. Successful yet disappointing.

Political Hack
06-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Disappointing in the end because our expectations had been lifted so much by how well this team played. SEC Champs! One of the all time great State teams. It was a hell of a ride this year. Hats off to the players. Outstanding job.

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 09:52 AM
We absolutely had a successful season. A Super appearance in any season guarantees that. Plus we got some hardware.

Just me, but for baseball and basketball I tend to bucket things into the season and the post-season. I think, given the drought we had had for SEC championships in baseball, we can certainly say the regular season was WILDLY successful to gain not only an SEC championship but for it also to be outright made it a great thing. Post-season, to me, was certainly more on the disappointing side. Poor showing in the SEC tournament but did bounce back to win a regional before losing 2 straight in the Supers. But all rolled together, given my expectations of what we could do this season, we had a fantastic year and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I'm actually not that surprised we didn't to make it to Omaha in the sense that I really felt our offense slumped at the very end of the year. Even started a thread on it after the regionals because we just weren't generating a lot of offense when facing quality teams. Guys like Humphreys and Robson were in a major funk and even major contributors like Lowe and Mangum cooled significantly from what they had been doing. The only guy really hot in the post-season was Rooker. I mean in the last game against Arizona they gave us all kinds of chances earlier in that game to really get separation in the scoring but we just couldn't get the big blow (Collins had multiple chances). Just puts a lot of pressure on the pitching staff to hold people to no more than 3 or 4 runs every time out to win. But being hot at the end is what its all about to make that run to Omaha. That is why we got the ride in 2013 that we did all the way to the CWS finals. And based on what I'm seeing, we aren't the only SEC team to not be peaking at the end.