PDA

View Full Version : Let's play who stays, who goes after the draft

Bucky Dog
06-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Yes I will say up front that some of my thoughts may be rose colored and wishful thinking, but for the most part it makes sense.

Obviously Dakota is gone, and I also believe Hump is gone because he cannot improve his draft position by staying another year. Same for Daniel Brown. Robby is also gone as well.

Now here is where the fun begins: we had a lot of players drafted after round 10, which gives no guaranteed signing bonus, so each player needs to look and see if they can improve their status if they stay another year.

I most definitely think that all of these players should stay and can improve their draft status: Houston, Sexton, Lowe, Kruger, Collins, and Rooker. Each player has a lot of things to consider when making these decisions obviously. Age, position, financial needs, are they just "over the college experience" and do they risk not getting drafted at all next year.

I think those that have the most to gain by staying another year: Sexton and Houston can be the stalwarts of the starting rotation and with them becoming so visible this year, as Dakota did last year, they will have a lot of eyes on them and I can see them both moving into the top 10 rounds, if not the top 3 for Houston.

Kruger and Rooker are next on my list for staying another year with their positions taken this year. I believe they can both improve many rounds with another solid year in 2017.

Lowe is kinda on the fence with me, as he may only drop from where he was drafted, unless he has another solid year and ends on a hot streak, opposite of this year.

Gavin probably won't do any better than he did in draft position this year and with his age, and tendency to get injured he is probably gone. And I really don't have an opinion either way on Tatum.

Disclaimer: This is pure speculation and observation and was not a scientific evaluation. There were also no animals or humans harmed during this analysis!

msstate7
06-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Lowe got drafted by same team as his brother. Not sure if lowe's brother was a signing risk, but the Rays locked up both Lowe brothers by drafting them both imo

Steakonastick
06-12-2016, 07:47 AM
I only expect to get Rooker and Kruger back. You get almost punished if you are a senior. Graveman is the best example improved his draft stock from the late teens to the 7th round and he signed for 5k.

msstate7
06-12-2016, 07:54 AM
I only expect to get Rooker and Kruger back. You get almost punished if you are a senior. Graveman is the best example improved his draft stock from the late teens to the 7th round and he signed for 5k.

Really hope we get Kruger back. Hopefully he didn't grow up an Angels fan being as he's from California

Steakonastick
06-12-2016, 08:08 AM
They are only his favorite team.

Boodawg
06-12-2016, 08:14 AM
When do they decide whether staying or leaving?

msstate7
06-12-2016, 08:20 AM
They are only his favorite team.

Figures

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 08:31 AM
I originally wanted Rooker, Kruger and a pitcher (most likely Tatum), but at this point I'm just hoping for Rooker.

I seen it dawg
06-12-2016, 09:22 AM
We keep Rooker, Kruger, and mayyybbbeee Sexton. Everybody else gone.

msstate7
06-12-2016, 09:35 AM
We keep Rooker, Kruger, and mayyybbbeee Sexton. Everybody else gone.

If we keep those 3, we're probably a host team again next season

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 09:37 AM
I think we keep Rooker and Kruger. I think the rest go pro.

I seen it dawg
06-12-2016, 09:41 AM
After the anger from last night I think we are gonna be good the next few years. Our recruiting is really good and Wes gets a full year (provided he stays) with the pitchers. All our young guys are going to good summer ball so I expect them to grow. I'd be shocked if we lose Rooker and if he is the only one that stays we will be young but still in great shape.

Jacksondevildog
06-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Would be beyond shocked if Sexton came back.

basedog
06-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Rooker and Kruger, Sexton is iffy. Lowe is probably gone, he had a very good year, but if he did come back he would need to show more power. What shocks me is Robson getting high. If Houston comes back he would have a great chance to getting drafted earlier, but I think they will give up top 10 money to sign.

I seen it dawg
06-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Would be beyond shocked if Sexton came back.

I don't disagree but to me he's the closest to staying out of anyone not named Rooker or Kruger. I'm torn on him leaving to open up the rotation spot for a young one or to stay to stabilize the rotation. I think our next cws run is 2018 so I lean to him leaving so a sophomore can get weekend work as a starter. Either way have loved having him for 3 years.

Rexxx
06-12-2016, 09:49 AM

Everytime this come up someone brings up Graveman. And everytime the signing bonus gets smaller. If this keeps coming up on here, he will have signed for $0.69, a case of Boones Farm and a corndog.

msstate7
06-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Everytime this come up someone brings up Graveman. And everytime the signing bonus gets smaller. If this keeps coming up on here, he will have signed for $0.69, a case of Boones Farm and a corndog.

Apparently 5k is correct
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/oakland-athletics/kendall-graveman/cash-earnings/

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
06-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Wow $5000 talking about going all in?? He must've really wanted to go pro.

msstate7
06-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Wow $5000 talking about going all in?? He must've really wanted to go pro.

He was a senior... No leverage

Backspin
06-12-2016, 10:12 AM
he will have signed for $0.69, a case of Boones Farm and a corndog.

Because that's essentially all a senior will get. Seniors lose their financial leverage because they have exhausted their amateur status. While most if not all of these draftees have enjoyed their time at MSU, every one of them has worked their butt off in pursuit of the dream of playing MLB baseball. Rooker being drafted where he was obviously gave the indication he wanted to return for his RS Jr year. He'll still have a year remaining after next year. As for pitchers, MLB teams want to get them young. Seniors lose another year. I'd be surprised if any of the draftees return except Rooker and based on where he was drafted given the good year he had I would say he's returning.

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 10:16 AM
This thread proves the total ignorance of some of our fans, specifically Rexxx and marroon333333dog or whatever. The latter of which is likely a bear.

Coach34
06-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Only one I expect back is Rook. I think Kruger will be 50/50 depending on what he is offered. Sexton's actions after coming out last night lead me to believe that was his last start at Dudy Noble

Rexxx
06-12-2016, 12:06 PM
This thread proves the total ignorance of some of our fans, specifically Rexxx and marroon333333dog or whatever. The latter of which is likely a bear.

I am definitely ignorant when it comes to signing bonuses for MLB draftees. I just thought is was funny that two weeks ago I saw where Graveman signed for $25K and last week he signed for $20K. I guess Steakonastick actually knows what he is talking about. But mainly I just wanted to reference Boone's Farm.

msstate7
06-12-2016, 12:10 PM
I am definitely ignorant when it comes to signing bonuses for MLB draftees. I just thought is was funny that two weeks ago I saw where Graveman signed for $25K and last week he signed for $20K. I guess Steakonastick actually knows what he is talking about. But mainly I just wanted to reference Boone's Farm.

I've come to trust what steakonastick posts concerning baseball

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 12:19 PM
It really depends on how long you think you will be in the minors. If you are a fast track player to the MLB, the signing bonus doesn't mean shit as you will get signed to a major league deal that makes the signing bonus from the draft look like peanuts. So it really just depends.

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Graveman is doing good for himself now $500k+ a year and probably will sign for more as well....

msstate7
06-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Graveman is doing good for himself now $500k+ a year and probably will sign for more as well....

If you make the show, you will do very well for yourself. Graveman has exceeded what I thought he would be

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 12:40 PM
If you make the show, you will do very well for yourself. Graveman has exceeded what I thought he would be

Maybe he doesn't get to that point without staying his senior year and getting the exposure he got in the 2013 season. It's a trade off really. Do you want to get an extra $100k and spend an extra year in the minors or do you want to grow as a player in the SEC which is basically like the AAA in the minors.

trob115
06-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Sexton is 100% gone. I expect Kruger and Rooker both to be back.

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 01:32 PM

In this case, awesome, and carry on.....

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Sexton is 100% gone. I expect Kruger and Rooker both to be back.

I don't blame Sexton if he goes. I don't think he has anything left to prove in college. If Kruger and Rooker are back, we will be fine offensively. And if that's the case, our offense should carry us until our pitching and our arms get the experience they need to establish themselves.