PDA

View Full Version : I'll go ahead and add this to our woes tonight on Mini-Me

Coach34
06-11-2016, 10:12 PM
UPig is trying to steal him from us by offering some serious cash. Mini-Me is originally from the Pig state I was told. He didn't move his family to Starkville- so he has flexibility in his decision.

I have confidence in Strick and Cohen stepping up here and winning the battle- but just be aware this is something we are facing now that the season is over

I seen it dawg
06-11-2016, 10:18 PM
And we need to keep his runt ass in a bad way

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I kind of feel like he will just wait another 2 or 3 years and leave for a HC gig.

Maroonthirteen
06-11-2016, 10:24 PM
He was raised in Sherwood. Which is basically North Little Rock. I would bet anything he was a Hog fan as a kid.

Theyll get him if they want him.

Homedawg
06-11-2016, 10:25 PM
If he wants to go, go. He won't be the last guy to be pitching coach here.

ScoobaDawg
06-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Dave Van horn stepping down?
If he isn't going to be the HC... then hell no.
We should never lose an Assistant coach to another SEC program unless they are becoming a head coach...

msstate7
06-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Meh, either way I'm fine. We served him up a ton of good arms. Not like he put together a good staff here. It took all season to finally get something out of one of our best arms (Houston). We never got anything out of Tatum who was drafted, so mlb obviously thinks he's underperformed here. I wanna keep Wes, but won't lose a minute of sleep if he leaves

ScoobaDawg
06-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Meh, either way I'm fine. We served him up a ton of good arms. Not like he put together a good staff here. It took all season to finally get something out of one of our best arms (Houston). We never got anything out of Tatum who was drafted, so mlb obviously thinks he's underperformed here. I wanna keep Wes, but won't lose a minute of sleep if he leaves

You also have to remember he has only been here since Nov 1st.... AFTER fall ball. The fact he got as much change out of the whole staff with such limited time is amazing. We need him badly.

Homedawg
06-11-2016, 10:37 PM
You also have to remember he has only been here since Nov 1st.... AFTER fall ball. The fact he got as much change out of the whole staff with such limited time is amazing. We need him badly.

What is the so much change? Dakota left the cape as a stud...Houston didn't do shit until a week ago, Tatum went backwards. And we had one fr out of a stud class that had a major impact, which was a beef w butch. I don't want to lose the guy, but as I said earlier, we will play baseball here next year with or without him and be fine.

War Machine Dawg
06-11-2016, 11:00 PM

No kidding. It amazes how under-appreciated Wes is by some of our fans. No one can fix Tatum. He'll be out of baseball in 2-3 years after getting shelled in the minors. It took a whole damn year to fix Houston's head - something Butch couldn't do in two years. True freshmen were pretty much true freshmen. Wish we could've gotten more from a couple of them, but it is what it is. And considering how little time Wes had, he did about all anyone could've hoped for with this staff.

Coach34
06-11-2016, 11:05 PM
I think the guy did a helluva job. Pay that mane and make sure he doesn't leave. Our staff looked much better than under Butch lately.

msstate7
06-11-2016, 11:05 PM
No kidding. It amazes how under-appreciated Wes is by some of our fans. No one can fix Tatum. He'll be out of baseball in 2-3 years after getting shelled in the minors. It took a whole damn year to fix Houston's head - something Butch couldn't do in two years. True freshmen were pretty much true freshmen. Wish we could've gotten more from a couple of them, but it is what it is. And considering how little time Wes had, he did about all anyone could've hoped for with this staff.

Houston really hasn't been any better than last year. His era and bb are down, but hits are up and strike outs are down. Houston has had 2 good starts, but Houston was coming off an unbelievable cape cod performance and we got nothing till the end

Homedawg
06-11-2016, 11:37 PM
I think the guy did a helluva job. Pay that mane and make sure he doesn't leave. Our staff looked much better than under Butch lately.

I don't disagree he did well. Not at all. But he had a lot more talent.kids got better under butch and did under Johnson. And he hasn't recruited a soul. So I'll hold out judgment before I pay him the farm.

Homedawg
06-11-2016, 11:39 PM

I don't under appreciate him. He did fine. But Tatum went backwards. Big time. That's a fact. Houston wasn't a factor until the sec tourney fact 2. Who is to say butch wouldn't have gotten him better by then? You? Carry on though

Todd4State
06-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Also Kentucky might come after Mingione.

As far as Wes- he might do well to stay at MSU. More to work with on our staff than Arkansas plus if Van Horn has another losing season he may be able to parlay that into the head coaching job.

If he leaves, I'm pretty sure we'll get Gary Henderson who was Kentucky's head coach after Cohen and was Cohen's pitching coach there. He was also at Florida with Cohen and Pat McMahon.

Saltydog
06-12-2016, 08:15 AM
nt

klong-dog
06-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Does he make the call on when to pull the pitcher's? Or is that Cohen? Figured it's Cohen. After last night, it needs to be Wes or whoever our new pitching coach will be.

Avelso
06-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Also Kentucky might come after Mingione.

As far as Wes- he might do well to stay at MSU. More to work with on our staff than Arkansas plus if Van Horn has another losing season he may be able to parlay that into the head coaching job.

If he leaves, I'm pretty sure we'll get Gary Henderson who was Kentucky's head coach after Cohen and was Cohen's pitching coach there. He was also at Florida with Cohen and Pat McMahon.

Mingione is a final 3 candidate at UK. Cohen doing everything he can to help him.

trob115
06-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Wes isn't leaving unless it's for a HC.

preachermatt83
06-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Mingione is a good recruiter and Wes is the best pitching coach in the business. We don't need to lose either of them. And I certainly don't want Gary Henderson as Pitching Coach.

preachermatt83
06-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Why did Wes not move his family here?

basedog
06-12-2016, 02:02 PM

I would think he didn't have time since he was hired in late October.

Coach34
06-12-2016, 02:03 PM

schools in Dallas vs Schools in Mississippi

preachermatt83
06-12-2016, 04:26 PM
schools in Dallas vs Schools in Mississippi

Ahh. I see. I can't imagine Sending my kid to some of the public schools in MS. Thankful we have an academy near by.

MaroonBelle
06-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Ahh. I see. I can't imagine Sending my kid to some of the public schools in MS. Thankful we have an academy near by. Was told by friend that sat with Wes' wife & daughter at Vandy that they never moved to Dallas and are still in Arky which you have to think could make difference.

WPS
06-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Was told by friend that sat with Wes' wife & daughter at Vandy that they never moved to Dallas and are still in Arky which you have to think could make difference.

I graduated with his daughter-in-law. He went to Arkansas-Monticello and his first college job was at Central Arkansas. He coached former Arkansas pitcher DJ Baxendale in high school.

Lot of connections there but don't know if it would be enough to make him leave. Will be weird for us having a new pitching coach for the first time in 13 years.

MzTerry
06-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Ahh. I see. I can't imagine Sending my kid to some of the public schools in MS. Thankful we have an academy near by.

I can't imagine sending my kids to Starkville Academy. I'm very thankful we have Starkville High School nearby.

preachermatt83
06-14-2016, 02:00 PM
I can't imagine sending my kids to Starkville Academy. I'm very thankful we have Starkville High School nearby.

Oh yea? Why is that?

benbow
06-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Might as well dodge that argument on here. It is the most divisive element with which the City has to deal and the academy is totally unnecessary. Starkville High and Starkville Academy are located adjacent to each other. On some friday nights you can hear each other's bands playing. Keeps the town from otherwise being unified.

starkvegasdawg
06-14-2016, 03:00 PM
I have two children. My oldest started in the Starkville public school system but we pulled her out last year and my son never started there. We home school them both. I quickly reached my limit with the public school system here on several fronts. The education was not what I wished it to be. Their teaching methods were leaving parents to introduce and teach new material and that common core BS was horrible. Then there were the things my daughter was picking up from other students and bringing home. My second grader should not have to hear conversations about people sticking other things up peoples' butts. Not at age 7. Nope. Then with the consolidation the number of students just exploded making student teacher ratios even worse. I would have considered putting them in Starkville Christian School but private school is not an option at this time. I personally, have no issues with SA and have had several family members graduate from there. Not sure what the two schools being next to each other has to do with one being unncessary. There's gas stations and restaurants next to each other all over this town. Doesn't make them unnecessary.

bulldogcountry1
06-14-2016, 03:13 PM

To me, it's always a tell-tale sign of a coach's future intentions of he doesn't bring his family. It's a big indication of long-term commitment. With the timing, I could understand Johnson not bringing his family in immediately. If he doesn't move them this summer, well...

benbow
06-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Does indeed sound like home schooling was the best fit for you. Dealing with the diversity in this state came be quite vexing if that's not your cup of tea. My two children went from pre-K through High School in Starkville Public schools. Both have graduate degrees and are highly successful. To each his own I suppose.