PDA

View Full Version : Saw This In 89, 13 vs UCLA, and Again Now

Spiderman
06-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Pop ups and strike outs.

A sign of pressing because the moment is too big.

Nervousness which is a sign of mental weakness.

If they want to be champs at any time, they have to relax and not let the moment get too big.

Rick Danko
06-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Let it play out man... We win today....

Spiderman
06-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Let it play out man... We win today....

You were saying?

It's State.... we always choke.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 12:06 AM
I saw the same thing yesterday. We weren't loose at all and when we do that we get away from our approach that has worked.

Percho
06-12-2016, 08:37 AM
I thought the announcers hit it on the head. The team with all the pressure on them was MSU. And we could not handle the pressure. The team has been feeling the pressure since about the Mitzo games and forward.

Percho
06-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Winning increases expectations and that increases pressure.

"That's Baseball."

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 08:49 AM
You have to have a team of talented players first. We had (and have going forward) that. Next, you have to get mentally tough. Some of this is natural, some of this you get by getting experience in tough situations. I think we'll have both of these in the coming years. I honestly think that's why so many national seeds choke down, because they've accomplished so much, only to see it come down to a few games.

Anyways, we'll be back.

BrunswickDawg
06-12-2016, 08:59 AM
You have to have a team of talented players first. We had (and have going forward) that. Next, you have to get mentally tough. Some of this is natural, some of this you get by getting experience in tough situations. I think we'll have both of these in the coming years. And then yes, you need to be mentally tough. I honestly think that's why so many national seeds choke down, because they've accomplished so much, only to see it come down to a few games.

Anyways, we'll be back.

That 2013 team was built off the unexpected 2011 run to the supers and the 2012 thumping in Tallahassee. Sometime you have to lose big to win big. Keyboard jockies like to type big about choking and not handling the pressure - but I'm certain that 99% of us have never played in a Super with everything on the line.

shoeless joe
06-12-2016, 09:11 AM
That 2013 team was built off the unexpected 2011 run to the supers and the 2012 thumping in Tallahassee. Sometime you have to lose big to win big. Keyboard jockies like to type big about choking and not handling the pressure - but I'm certain that 99% of us have never played in a Super with everything on the line.

Some truth here. The '13 Virginia team we beat was supposed to be a contender that year. They lose to us and then have back to back champ series appearances and win one. Not saying that's gonna happen here but it is a process of building on success with expectations.

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Some truth here. The '13 Virginia team we beat was supposed to be a contender that year. They lose to us and then have back to back champ series appearances and win one. Not saying that's gonna happen here but it is a process of building on success with expectations.

A lot of similarities between that year and this one. Funny enough, in 2013 Virginia was the #6 seed with big power and tons of talent playing at home against a fundamentally sound semi-small ball team that pitched it well. We also both have a bunch of freshmen pitchers, although UVa relied on theirs a lot more than we did. Sborz, Waddell and Kirby were ultimately who won them a title. Hopefully Pilkington, Small and Breaux can be our trio.

djaymsu5
06-12-2016, 01:01 PM
A lot of similarities between that year and this one. Funny enough, in 2013 Virginia was the #6 seed with big power and tons of talent playing at home against a fundamentally sound semi-small ball team that pitched it well. We also both have a bunch of freshmen pitchers, although UVa relied on theirs a lot more than we did. Sborz, Waddell and Kirby were ultimately who won them a title. Hopefully Pilkington, Small and Breaux can be our trio.

Swear I thought about this last night. This group of freshman just got a taste of what it was like to win the SEC outright and made it to a super as a national seed in their 1st year. The expectation is so much greater now and these kids can lead for years to come. I'm excited about the future. It sucks now cause we were really really good to see it fall short. Like some have said though sometimes you have to lose it all to see what you had. Now these kids will want it that much more. Can't wait! Btw summer ball will also help a lot of these kids confidence and techniques. Maybe some of the younger pitchers can develop some more pitches to become dominant.

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 01:35 PM
You have to have a team of talented players first. We had (and have going forward) that. Next, you have to get mentally tough. Some of this is natural, some of this you get by getting experience in tough situations. I think we'll have both of these in the coming years. I honestly think that's why so many national seeds choke down, because they've accomplished so much, only to see it come down to a few games.

Anyways, we'll be back.

Or you could do what Arizona did and just suck for three straight years and suck for most of this year and just get lucky playing teams like ULL and MSU that don't play up to their potential when you play them so you win all the way to Omaha. It's baseball. It's the most frustrating and odd sport there is because you can have the most talent and still not win the game. Arizona will go 2 and Q in Omaha just like our 2007 team because that's exactly the team who they reminded me of. Our 2007 team. Our 2013 team was 10x more talented then that Arizona team we just lost two games to.

BrunswickDawg
06-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Or you could do what Arizona did and just suck for three straight years and suck for most of this year and just get lucky playing teams like ULL and MSU that don't play up to their potential when you play them so you win all the way to Omaha. It's baseball. It's the most frustrating and odd sport there is because you can have the most talent and still not win the game. Arizona will go 2 and Q in Omaha just like our 2007 team because that's exactly the team who they reminded me of. Our 2007 team. Our 2013 team was 10x more talented then that Arizona team we just lost two games to.
Really the only team sport where a team can collectively get hot for 3 days and beat almost anyone. The craziest thing is that both my previous post and yours are true, hence "That's Baseball."

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Really the only team sport where a team can collectively get hot for 3 days and beat almost anyone. The craziest thing is that both my previous post and yours are true, hence "That's Baseball."

My point is though that our 2013 team was really talented. That Arizona team we played just rode the fact that both ULL and us played like crap and they rode it to Omaha hence they are identical to our 2007 team. They have one MLB guy on that team period. When they play teams like Miami and Louisville, they will be crushed.

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 01:54 PM

I actually don't disagree with this. But I'd rather be a consistent program than hit a run of luck once a decade. Your regular season shows where you are as a program, IMO.

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 01:58 PM
I actually don't disagree with this. But I'd rather be a consistent program than hit a run of luck once a decade. Your regular season shows where you are as a program, IMO.

Oh yeah. I agree. I like how we have our program built. Just was saying Arizona was the 2007 MSU run not our 2013 run.