PDA

View Full Version : Wanna get even more ready for Oklahoma State?

CadaverDawg
08-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Read a few pages of this....

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/miss-st-practice-and-scrimmage-reports-link.170246/

starkvegasdawg
08-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Guess we might as well just forfeit and save ourselves the embarrassment of that beat down.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Two misconceptions that run rampant in that threat that OK State is going to come to realize.

1. This has run rampant all pre-season. Mullen isn't dumb, adjustments have surely been made since last season, and furthermore, it is no longer last year.

2. Tyler Russell played AWFUL the last two games of the season last year, and, if you watch the Arkansas game, you'll see his accuracy start to fade in the 2nd half of that game. Tyler played his worst football, and is a much better than the way he played at the end of last season.

So all of OK State assumptions are on the basis that Mullen hasn't made adjustments, Tyler Russell sucks, and that we lost to NorthWestern. We played as poorly as we possibly could against NorthWestern. If anyone was at the game, the would have known that we had better players and would have won the game if we could have gotten out of our own way. We played awful in that game, and using that game as a measuring stick as to why they will "blow us out" tells me that they have zero idea what they are talking about.

FlabLoser
08-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Counter post...has anybody heard Tyler is lighting it up in practice? Me neither. I hear he has looked shaky. At some point you have to wonder if the 1st half of last year was a hot streak instead of the norm.

smootness
08-22-2013, 08:02 AM
You usually don't hear much about how an incumbent QB starter looks in practice, unless there is a legitimate competition or the QB just didn't play well the year before.

We know what we have with Russell. At this point, he's not a guy who is going to use pre-season practice to learn the offense or try to develop, etc. He is a fifth-year senior, he's just trying to get himself ready to start the season. He is also learning with some new WRs, so I'm sure they're adjusting to each other.

You don't have 'hot streaks' as a QB. You can either play or you can't, and the rest is determined by your competition. Our schedule was easier last year; it got more difficult. And still, his only truly poor games were the last two, Ole Miss and Northwestern. It's not like the entire 2nd half of the season he just wasn't good.

Tyler Russell will have a very good senior year. I'm not sure why people are worried about him at all.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Counter post...has anybody heard Tyler is lighting it up in practice? Me neither. I hear he has looked shaky. At some point you have to wonder if the 1st half of last year was a hot streak instead of the norm.

This could be correct, but we have no way of knowing. I also watched a video yesterday where Perkins said our offense was executing and throwing it around better in practice than we ever did last year.

The point is that we simply don't know what goes on in practice everyday, regardless of the scrimmage nuggets we get. It is such a small slice, and we don't even know the situation or context of the play.

Tyler's talent level allows him to be as good or better than he was in the first half last season. If he isn't that good, then its mental, not physical.

The good thing is that if he fails, we get to go back to out normal zone read offense with Dak.

Bubb Rubb
08-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Two misconceptions that run rampant in that threat that OK State is going to come to realize.

1. This has run rampant all pre-season. Mullen isn't dumb, adjustments have surely been made since last season, and furthermore, it is no longer last year.

2. Tyler Russell played AWFUL the last two games of the season last year, and, if you watch the Arkansas game, you'll see his accuracy start to fade in the 2nd half of that game. Tyler played his worst football, and is a much better than the way he played at the end of last season.

So all of OK State assumptions are on the basis that Mullen hasn't made adjustments, Tyler Russell sucks, and that we lost to NorthWestern. We played as poorly as we possibly could against NorthWestern. If anyone was at the game, the would have known that we had better players and would have won the game if we could have gotten out of our own way. We played awful in that game, and using that game as a measuring stick as to why they will "blow us out" tells me that they have zero idea what they are talking about.

The biggest misconceptions to me:

1. State won't be able to handle their pace and will be out of shape. This is bullshit. Like the one State guy said in there, Mullen knows their offense better than their own OC does.

2. State would not compete at the top of the Big 12. We all know that if State played their schedule, it's 9 or 10 wins every year. That's not taking anything away from them; they just don't play in the SEC.

3. State's defense sucks, just look at stats from last year!! Well, considering we will be running a completely different defensive scheme, I would say that doesn't even come into play.

At the end of the day, I think State will probably lose this game, but it's not going to be lopsided, and State could easily win if things break the right way. Whatever happens, these guys will have their eyes opened when they see this team, especially the defense, play. State will end up being one of the best teams they play all year.

Coach34
08-22-2013, 08:16 AM
From what I've been getting, Tyler has had a solid preseason, but Dakota has really started to come and look better- closing the gap. His footwork and everything is much smoother.

MoJo and Ross being gimpy had hampered the offense a little- but it's given Wilson and some others like Holmes more reps. And those guys are coming on

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2013, 08:25 AM
From what I've been getting, Tyler has had a solid preseason, but Dakota has really started to come and look better- closing the gap. His footwork and everything is much smoother.

MoJo and Ross being gimpy had hampered the offense a little- but it's given Wilson and some others like Holmes more reps. And those guys are coming on

Haha, I paused for a minute and said, "Who the hell is Dakota?" Then it hit me.