PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Herbstreit

messageboardsuperhero
08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Is anyone watching Herbstreit's show on ESPN 2 right now? He and Rece Davis kept talking about how State "couldn't handle" Venric Mark in the Gator Bowl. I didn't remember him much from our game, but I just looked up the stats and he only rushed for 56 yards against us.

If that's considered "can't handle him", I hope we "can't handle" the leading rusher from any team we play all year. It's good to know the guys at the worldwide leader do their homework.

Coach34
08-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Longest. August. Evahhhhhhh

War Machine Dawg
08-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Is anyone watching Herbstreit's show on ESPN 2 right now? He and Rece Davis kept talking about how State "couldn't handle" Venric Mark in the Gator Bowl. I don't remember much about him from our game, but I just looked up his stats in that game and he only rushed for 56 yards. If that's considered "can't handle him", I hope we "can't handle" the leading rusher from any team we play all year. It's good to know the guys at the worldwide leader do their homework.

You think that's bad? You shoulda watched the "SEC Preview" show they did. I think literally only 6 of the 14 teams were mentioned. So much for a "preview" of the conference when fewer than half the teams are talked about. ESPN desperately needs a competitor.

PassInterference
08-21-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm watching. They are trying hard to spead the love across the country. They have that Northwestern guy the broken ankle award (for a guy that can juke people). He wouldn't have made my top 20 list.

Duke Silver
08-22-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm watching. They are trying hard to spead the love across the country. They have that Northwestern guy the broken ankle award (for a guy that can juke people). He wouldn't have made my top 20 list.

Ha that should be Braxton Miller all day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voCvpn_eQ8Q

mic
08-22-2013, 08:27 AM
There may be a SHIT LOAD of Crow for the "experts" to eat on Sept 1...

Bear
08-22-2013, 09:01 AM

And, I cant wait!!!

Hardy_Har
08-22-2013, 09:31 AM
ESPN desperately needs a competitor.

Too bad their new "Competitor" had Andy Roddick and Mike Tyson trying to talk football on opening night. Tighten up, Fox Sports 1..

maroonmania
08-22-2013, 11:36 AM

I HOPE that is indeed the case but none of us will know if or how much we've improved defensively since last year until we see the game on Aug 31. I have some guarded optimism for this year but I'm not going to run these ESPN guys down for basing their assessments of us on how they saw us perform against good competition last year plus the fact that we lost 2 NFL caliber cornerbacks. The sole reason OM is getting more respect than us coming into this season, besides the fact that they essentially return all of their starters, is that during the last half of the season last year even when they lost they were highly competitive, we were not. The only time OM really got taken to the woodshed later in the year was the second half of the GA game and even then I believe they were tied at halftime. I certainly hope our guys come out hungry because there is no doubt that we lost a LOT of respect with the talking heads of college football with our 1-5 finish last year (all 5 losses by double digits) and we are going to have to play well on the field to earn some of that respect back this year.

mic
08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I HOPE that is indeed the case but none of us will know if or how much we've improved defensively since last year until we see the game on Aug 31. I have some guarded optimism for this year but I'm not going to run these ESPN guys down for basing their assessments of us on how they saw us perform against good competition last year plus the fact that we lost 2 NFL caliber cornerbacks. The sole reason OM is getting more respect than us coming into this season, besides the fact that they essentially return all of their starters, is that during the last half of the season last year even when they lost they were highly competitive, we were not. The only time OM really got taken to the woodshed later in the year was the second half of the GA game and even then I believe they were tied at halftime. I certainly hope our guys come out hungry because there is no doubt that we lost a LOT of respect with the talking heads of college football with our 1-5 finish last year (all 5 losses by double digits) and we are going to have to play well on the field to earn some of that respect back this year.

We have a small sample of our improvement. Look at the stats from the Northwestern game. And Coach Collins on had 2 weeks.. to but his style into play.
We held them below their avg in total yards and rushing. And Nickoe looked like the Nickoe of old..
And don't forget about the fact that DT has his hands ALL over the DB situation.

Barking 13
08-22-2013, 01:09 PM
You must have had some time to kill... I absolutely hate that @$$clown, and if given the opportunity, would punch him in the face, just because.

Coach34
08-22-2013, 02:02 PM

Ole Miss was losing at halftime vs Georgia- and only had 70 yards offense the last 3 quarters of that game.
Ole Miss didnt even have 200 yards of offense vs Bammer
Ole Miss lost at home to Vandy late in the season- the SEC's #8 team
Ole Miss did play LSU close and beat us on their home field- no doubt
Ole Miss also beat a terrible team in the bowl game

We got blown at vs Bama- we were undefeated and Bama was ready to play.
We had a Bama hangover vs A&M coupled with some defensive team strife
We played LSU pretty well- had the ball inside their 20 twice in the 4th- down 13 points- and couldnt get it in. The 2nd time Tyler threw a Pick-6
Lost Egg Bowl due to missed opportunities and inexplicable confusion on D
Offense lost the bowl game- just a crazy day

But the bottom line in all this is that last year was last year. We've had some younger guys grow up, made some philosophy changes on D and O, and will have 3-4 impact Freshmen. I agree with people saying the media is just being lazy andd not looking at the big picture. Judging teams based on the last season is stupid, lazy reporting

Bullmutt
08-22-2013, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=ESPN desperately needs a competitor.[/QUOTE]

Make it a goal, FOX!!!

PMDawg
08-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Kirk is actually their best college analyst. He knows his shit. Last year when everybody was saying we would give Alabama a decent game, he was one of the ones not buying it. He was right. The fact that both he and Phil Steele are down on us makes me a little nervous. That said, they could easily be wrong IF a few certain things are truly corrected from last year.

Dawgdom
08-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Ole Miss was losing at halftime vs Georgia- and only had 70 yards offense the last 3 quarters of that game.

We played LSU pretty well- had the ball inside their 20 twice in the 4th- down 13 points- and couldnt get it in. The 2nd time Tyler threw a Pick-6

But the bottom line in all this is that last year was last year. We've had some younger guys grow up, made some philosophy changes on D and O, and will have 3-4 impact Freshmen. I agree with people saying the media is just being lazy andd not looking at the big picture. Judging teams based on the last season is stupid, lazy reporting

TRUTH

messageboardsuperhero
08-22-2013, 03:06 PM
I will never understand the "UM went toe-to-toe with Bama" shit. Bama was up three touchdowns at halftime, and Saban could have called the score in the second half. UM had two good drives in that game that went 70 and 75 yards; they only had 73 total yards the entire rest of the game.

And does anybody actually think Bama was taking UM seriously? They had lost 14 straight SEC games going into Tuscaloosa. Bama was in cruise control all night.

Coach34
08-22-2013, 03:23 PM
I will never understand the "UM went toe-to-toe with Bama" shit. Bama was up three touchdowns at halftime, and Saban could have called the score in the second half. UM had two good drives in that game that went 70 and 75 yards; they only had 73 total yards the entire rest of the game.

And does anybody actually think Bama was taking UM seriously? They had lost 14 straight SEC games going into Tuscaloosa. Bama was in cruise control all night.

you and me both- it was 27-7 at half. Game over

maroonmania
08-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Not disagreeing with anything you just said, my post was just to say that looking from the outside in these college football talking heads just see a team that got knocked around repeatedly the second half of last season. Like I said its up to our coaches and our team to come out and EARN some respect back. I want to see our team come out with a chip on its shoulder with something to prove, that seems to be when we play our best.

biggun
08-23-2013, 02:25 AM

Love the maroon shades too but
1. Ole Miss played Bama a lot closer than we did. Bama could have beaten us 70 if they wanted to in the "game of the century" for us.
2. Ole Miss had A&M beat, gave the game away in the final minute yet A&M could have named their score on us. We might have had a hangover: our defense was terrible but our offense was horrible too and at home there is not one excuse in the world for the way we played and we cannot give our team or coaches a pass for that embarressment.
3. LSU -Ole miss either led or was tied with LSU in the final minutes of the game. Talking about a hangover, when we played LSU, they had just played Bama the week before and they were flat as a pancake yet still beat us by 20. We did go up 7-0 before then the comedy of errors started, from fumbled pitches to leaving WR's uncovered to pick 6's
4. The Egg Bowl, Our State, playing for the state championship. We never stopped them. Without a 100 yard KO return and them turning the ball over a couple of times in the 1st half in or near our end zone, we would never have been in it. The 2nd half, they took care of the ball and we had no KO return TD's and got destroyed
5. The Gator Bowl -Tyler Russell was having his worst game of the year, was never comfortable, and could not get comfortable despite a strong rushing attack keeping Northwestern off balance yet we never played Prescott and just tried to pound them to death which appeared we were more than capable of doing.

Mullen was responsible for the embarrassment which was our team and staff last year. OSU is a huge game to earn back some respectability, let's hope we do it.

mic
08-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Love the maroon shades too but
1. Ole Miss played Bama a lot closer than we did. Bama could have beaten us 70 if they wanted to in the "game of the century" for us.
2. Ole Miss had A&M beat, gave the game away in the final minute yet A&M could have named their score on us. We might have had a hangover: our defense was terrible but our offense was horrible too and at home there is not one excuse in the world for the way we played and we cannot give our team or coaches a pass for that embarressment.
3. LSU -Ole miss either led or was tied with LSU in the final minutes of the game. Talking about a hangover, when we played LSU, they had just played Bama the week before and they were flat as a pancake yet still beat us by 20. We did go up 7-0 before then the comedy of errors started, from fumbled pitches to leaving WR's uncovered to pick 6's
4. The Egg Bowl, Our State, playing for the state championship. We never stopped them. Without a 100 yard KO return and them turning the ball over a couple of times in the 1st half in or near our end zone, we would never have been in it. The 2nd half, they took care of the ball and we had no KO return TD's and got destroyed
5. The Gator Bowl -Tyler Russell was having his worst game of the year, was never comfortable, and could not get comfortable despite a strong rushing attack keeping Northwestern off balance yet we never played Prescott and just tried to pound them to death which appeared we were more than capable of doing.

Mullen was responsible for the embarrassment which was our team and staff last year. OSU is a huge game to earn back some respectability, let's hope we do it.

Looks like you may love the Red and Blue shades..
and Coach 34 you forgot about Arkansas a game they gave to the Rebs.
And with the Rebs / Bama game.. talk about sleep walking. That's prob the worse game Bama played all year..

Last year is just what it is LAST year. and the Rebs finished 3-3 last year. You would think with all the talk they finished 5-1 and won a new years day bowl. They beat Pitt.. possible the worse bowl team that played in a bowl last year..

Dawgface
08-23-2013, 08:32 AM
I love getting no respect. Seems like we perform better when we come in under the radar. Don't think we will be coming in under OSU's radar though as they just want to beat any SEC team bad. Going to be interesting.

SignalToNoise
08-23-2013, 08:44 AM
I love getting no respect. Seems like we perform better when we come in under the radar. Don't think we will be coming in under OSU's radar though as they just want to beat any SEC team bad. Going to be interesting.

That has become nails on a chalkboard to me.

I want our program to be respected and for our opponents to know they will have to play hard for 4 quarters to beat us.