PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Game rankings of our HS signees...

maroonmania
06-10-2016, 03:43 PM
From their National Top 500 listings:

Edited to add draft status ---

#34 Walker Robbins 1B/LHP/OF (Rd 5 #166 Cardinals)
#90 Graham Ashcraft RHP/1B/3B (Rd 12 #371 Dodgers)
#100 Mitchell Miller LHP/1B/OF
#208 Reed Smith SS/2B
#215 Riley Self RHP/1B
#351 Dustin Skelton C (Rd 36 #1092 Blue Jays)
#365 Will Brooks SS/2B/OF
#421 Marc Coffers OF/C

maroonmania
06-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Bump for draft results.

msstate7
06-11-2016, 07:43 PM
So which one of the ones that will be here will be immediate impact guys?

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 12:12 AM
So which one of the ones that will be here will be immediate impact guys?

I'm going to throw a curveball and say Denver McQuary out of the bullpen. Miller and Self are going to be SEC weekend starters though. Reed Smith will be in the mix at third base in the fall. Not sure if he can or will beat out Harrison Bragg but it's very possible. Ashcraft will be a potential ace if we slip him past the draft.

If things happen like they are rumored to happen, I don't think we will have to count on a lot of freshmen next year. But get back to me in July on that.

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 12:23 AM
I'm going to throw a curveball and say Denver McQuary out of the bullpen. Miller and Self are going to be SEC weekend starters though. Reed Smith will be in the mix at third base in the fall. Not sure if he can or will beat out Harrison Bragg but it's very possible. Ashcraft will be a potential ace if we slip him past the draft.

If things happen like they are rumored to happen, I don't think we will have to count on a lot of freshmen next year. But get back to me in July on that.

I'd like to see kids like Rooker and Kruger come back. It would be awesome to hit Kruger as the DH and we could still have Rooker in the outfield. He has leverage. He is a kid that could have 15 bombs and be a top 3 round pick and up his money considerably. I wouldn't bolt to the MLB just yet.

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 12:24 AM

Are we going to finally have a legitimate third baseman this year? Please tell me yes.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 12:43 AM
Are we going to finally have a legitimate third baseman this year? Please tell me yes.

We have a JUCO third baseman coming in named Harrison Bragg who I expect to be the front runner to get the job. I think Reed Smith a freshman will compete with him. If they both aren't good enough we'll probably go with Luke Alexander.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 12:50 AM
I'd like to see kids like Rooker and Kruger come back. It would be awesome to hit Kruger as the DH and we could still have Rooker in the outfield. He has leverage. He is a kid that could have 15 bombs and be a top 3 round pick and up his money considerably. I wouldn't bolt to the MLB just yet.

It would be important from a leadership standpoint if they come back. I think they will. Also Hunter Stovall is already as good right now as Holland is as a senior. He should be an upgrade. Gridley will be back, and I think LA would have moved him to second had he not fractured his wrist.

Also, Cody Brown will be back as a fifth year senior. Cole Gordan had a couple of big hits for us this year as well.

The biggest question mark to me is the rotation and whether or not those guys can take the next step or are we going to have to wait until year three again? Those freshmen are further along than Hudson, Sexton, and Houston were as freshmen and we see how they turned out. We'll know more once they play in the Cape and we see how they perform.

maroonmania
06-12-2016, 07:23 AM

I would expect Rooker to come back. He was a 38th round pick so he could improve that tremendously if he comes back and does well. Kruger was a 20th round pick so he is more questionable or whether he returns. Hopefully he will.

AlSwearengen
06-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Are we losing ashcraft to the pros?

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 08:34 AM
We have a JUCO third baseman coming in named Harrison Bragg who I expect to be the front runner to get the job. I think Reed Smith a freshman will compete with him. If they both aren't good enough we'll probably go with Luke Alexander.

I've agreed with you a lot this year, but when we start projecting, that's when we separate. I repeat, for the 1,000th time, LUKE ALEXANDER WILL BE THE STARTING SHORTSTOP. Stovall and/or Gridley will very likely be the 2B/3B. These positions are not ripe for the JUCO taking, like 1B was last year.

msstate7
06-12-2016, 08:39 AM
I've agreed with you a lot this year, but when we start projecting, that's when we separate. I repeat, for the 1,000th time, LUKE ALEXANDER WILL BE THE STARTING SHORTSTOP. Stovall and/or Gridley will very likely be the 2B/3B. These positions are not ripe for the JUCO taking, like 1B was last year.

Not sure Stovall has the arm for 3b. Luke 100% ss

Taog Redloh
06-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Not sure Stovall has the arm for 3b. Luke 100% ss

Trust me, he does. People didn't really get to see a lot of from him this year due to injury and many assume he's weak because of his stature, but dude is an ATHLETE and has a cannon. You'll see. He has power too. I expect a big jump from him next year.

I hope we can get enough power from the LF/RF/1B positions to keep him at 3B. It'll be the defensive 3B we haven't had for years.

BulldogBear
06-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Where is Self from?

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 09:43 AM

LA is our best SS. I agree on that.

We didn't recruit Bragg to be a role player. He and Reed Smith will get the first shot at third base in the fall. I'm hopeful one of those two win the third base job but there are no guarantees since neither of the two have SEC experience.

If neither of them are ready then we'll go to LA or maybe Stovall.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Where is Self from?

Magnolia Heights and I think he played at Grenada for one year.

sandjunky
06-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Trust me, he does. People didn't really get to see a lot of from him this year due to injury and many assume he's weak because of his stature, but dude is an ATHLETE and has a cannon. You'll see. He has power too. I expect a big jump from him next year.

I hope we can get enough power from the LF/RF/1B positions to keep him at 3B. It'll be the defensive 3B we haven't had for years.

Stovall has a freaking laser and as Cohen said, 2x the competitiveness of Mangum; there is a reason he was Al Gatorade player of the year his senior yr

maroonmania
06-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Are we losing ashcraft to the pros?

12th round is sort of marginal, we certainly could lose him. Don't really know anything about Ashcraft's intentions regarding going to school but it will be interesting to see if we can hold on to him. If a guys wants to go he will go. Just like the infielder from TN we lost a couple of years ago that went past round 30 and signed for under 200K. Also, I was kind of surprised that Goldwater didn't get drafted. Don't know if he became less attractive to the pros during his JUCO SO campaign or he just made it clear that he was coming to MSU.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 06:58 PM
12th round is sort of marginal, we certainly could lose him. Don't really know anything about Ashcraft's intentions regarding going to school but it will be interesting to see if we can hold on to him. If a guys wants to go he will go. Just like the infielder from TN we lost a couple of years ago that went past round 30 and signed for under 200K. Also, I was kind of surprised that Goldwater didn't get drafted. Don't know if he became less attractive to the pros during his JUCO SO campaign or he just made it clear that he was coming to MSU.

Let me warn people about Goldwater right now- his K/BB ratio this year was AWFUL. Like 36/9 or something like that. I think that's why he didn't get drafted.

RBritt
06-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Is he the next Andy Rice?

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Is he the next Andy Rice?

I think that he has way more potential than Rice. He just may not be instant impact.

maroonmania
06-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Let me warn people about Goldwater right now- his K/BB ratio this year was AWFUL. Like 36/9 or something like that. I think that's why he didn't get drafted.

Great, he can be next in C34's line of guys to negatively critique like Hunter Renfroe and Reid Humphreys.***

Seriously though, OF is looking rather thin. We can move Cody Brown back in as a starter but he had a really bad last 2/3rds of the season. After that, what candidates do we have beyond Goldwater?

HSVDawg
06-12-2016, 08:17 PM
So I'm assuming Robbins will not be here. What about Ashcraft?

smootness
06-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Yeah, Robbins is gone. Getting Ashcraft would be huge, that guy throws 99. The fact that he was drafted in the 12th probably means the Dodgers think they may be able to sign him but aren't sure.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 09:08 PM

We have a very good chance at getting Ashcraft. Robbins is gone thanks in large part because Berry at USM sucks and his brother got burned.

Ashcraft tops out at 95. Not 99.

smootness
06-12-2016, 09:11 PM

Not according to Baseball America: http://www.truebluela.com/2016/6/11/11909608/mlb-draft-2016-graham-ashcraft-dodgers-12th-round

Homedawg
06-12-2016, 09:29 PM
We have a very good chance at getting Ashcraft. Robbins is gone thanks in large part because Berry at USM sucks and his brother got burned.

This all day long

maroonmania
06-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Robbins is gone thanks in large part because Berry at USM sucks and his brother got burned.

Curious, what's the story there?

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 10:14 PM
It's possible that the team next year accomplishes more from a national perspective then this one did depending on how much of a jump out freshmen take and how much the newcomers coming in contribute. We will have more talent and the potential of the pitchers coming in is higher then the ones going out. If we get hot at the right time, we could go deep in Omaha without winning the west, SEC, and getting a national seed. Baseball is a freaking weird sport if you ask me.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Not according to Baseball America: http://www.truebluela.com/2016/6/11/11909608/mlb-draft-2016-graham-ashcraft-dodgers-12th-round

I question that. If he did, it's not his norm.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Curious, what's the story there?

Brother is Mason Robbins and was drafted high. Went to USM. He never even got close to meeting his expectations there. Dropped big time in the draft and basically got burned. USM got blamed for not developing him- and honestly I'm not real impressed with them either. He commits to us instead of USM.

Berry is probably fired right now if the American Athletic Conference never came into existence and diluted C-USA.

ZedFedder
06-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Todd, just wondering, but if he gets it all together, am I crazy for thinking Ethan Small could be as good as Hudson this year?

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 10:35 PM
It's possible that the team next year accomplishes more from a national perspective then this one did depending on how much of a jump out freshmen take and how much the newcomers coming in contribute. We will have more talent and the potential of the pitchers coming in is higher then the ones going out. If we get hot at the right time, we could go deep in Omaha without winning the west, SEC, and getting a national seed. Baseball is a freaking weird sport if you ask me.

Kind of like 1989- 1990. 89 we won the SEC and then lost in the finals of our regional which we hosted. Next year we hosted again and shared the SEC Tournament Championship- but we broke through and went to Omaha.

The difference is our team is a LOT younger than the 1990 team- but they are also very talented. I'm hopeful we can parlay this into more than one Omaha appearance the next two years or so.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Todd, just wondering, but if he gets it all together, am I crazy for thinking Ethan Small could be as good as Hudson this year?

I think Small definitely has a higher ceiling than Hudson. It's possible but waaaayyyy too soon to know. If he has a big summer in the Cape and develops a third pitch like Hudson did with his cutter you may not be all that crazy. We'll have a better frame of reference in August. And I'll also say that Breaux has a higher ceiling than Hudson too. Same thing applies though.

maroonmania
06-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Kind of like 1989- 1990. 89 we won the SEC and then lost in the finals of our regional which we hosted. Next year we hosted again and shared the SEC Tournament Championship- but we broke through and went to Omaha.

The difference is our team is a LOT younger than the 1990 team- but they are also very talented. I'm hopeful we can parlay this into more than one Omaha appearance the next two years or so.

But the 90 team overall was really not quite as talented as the 89 team. Our team next year will certainly not lack for talent, just experience in places. If Kruger and Rooker come back though we will still have some experience in the lineup.

MarketingBully
06-12-2016, 10:49 PM

Oh I agree and Arizona is very much like that 89 Carolina team as well. They were a 2 seed just happy to be there and were loose and took advantage of us not playing our best. I am having a hard time convincing those on 247 that Arizona really wasn't that good but they just took advantage of our mistakes and were better then us this weekend. Paul even thinks that team will make a run in Omaha. That to me is laughable. They may win one if they get to face UCSB but that team isn't beating Miami. I just don't see it.

I do like the 1990 comparison. I think it will be really apt if we can get Rooker and Kruger back. If we get those kids back to anchor our offense, we can let the pitching catch up. We have got a stable of pitchers that rivals Vandy and Florida if they can live up to their potential. I think having a full year with Wes would be awesome. I think one of the things that hurt Coach Johnson this year was the fact he came in really late so he couldn't really get a feel for the nuances of each pitcher. That probably is the biggest reason for him leaving some pitchers in too long. Another full year under his belt here, and I believe you see an even better staff with a better feeling on what each of them can do.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 10:51 PM
But the 90 team overall was really not quite as talented as the 89 team. Our team next year will certainly not lack for talent, just experience in places. If Kruger and Rooker come back though we will still have some experience in the lineup.

True but they had a lot of veterans that no doubt remembered losing in 89- Reed, Raffo, Cohen, Masters, Harden, Shave, etc.

Based on what I am seeing and what is rumored and assumed for now until the draft deadline I think we will actually end up having more experience than we realized at first once the draft took place, probably a little less power- although Humphreys and Lowe only hit 5 apiece it will still be hard to replace Gavin's 10. And I think we will have a less dominant staff, but one of the better bullpens in the league. And I am being fairly cautious with the expectations on our freshmen arms but may revise that if they look good in the Cape.

Homedawg
06-12-2016, 10:52 PM
Small has a big time arm, and worth millions because he's left handed. But, if he wants to be big time, he has to learn not to slow his arm down when throwing off speed stuff. That works in high school but not here. Reid did the same thing and made his avg slider below avg if you ask me. I could stand in the of and not watch the pitch and tell you what hump threw. Same w small. It's a fixable problem, but not without a lot of work and struggles to go with it.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Oh I agree and Arizona is very much like that 89 Carolina team as well. They were a 2 seed just happy to be there and were loose and took advantage of us not playing our best. I am having a hard time convincing those on 247 that Arizona really wasn't that good but they just took advantage of our mistakes and were better then us this weekend. Paul even thinks that team will make a run in Omaha. That to me is laughable. They may win one if they get to face UCSB but that team isn't beating Miami. I just don't see it.

I do like the 1990 comparison. I think it will be really apt if we can get Rooker and Kruger back. If we get those kids back to anchor our offense, we can let the pitching catch up. We have got a stable of pitchers that rivals Vandy and Florida if they can live up to their potential. I think having a full year with Wes would be awesome. I think one of the things that hurt Coach Johnson this year was the fact he came in really late so he couldn't really get a feel for the nuances of each pitcher. That probably is the biggest reason for him leaving some pitchers in too long. Another full year under his belt here, and I believe you see an even better staff with a better feeling on what each of them can do.

Without taking anything away from Arizona- they were a team we should have beaten. That's what is frustrating to me. The other thing that is frustrating is like you said- we weren't loose and we went away from our hitting approach that worked the whole year and when we went back to it after the power outage we had two guys on and a chance to win and just didn't come through. The next day we went back to our old approach which worked and built up a lead. Then they hit that three run home run and that turned the momentum. And what's frustrating there is how we managed the bullpen and also the fact that no one could throw strikes and we allowed hit after hit all day long.

I don't know if they will make a run or not. I kind of tend to think no- and I'm calling a run winning two games in Omaha. A team like that which isn't dominant is only going to have good fortune for so long.

As far as our pitching- Small was committed to Vandy at one point in time, Breaux, Pilkington, Padgett, and now Ashcraft and Miller- I think we are getting there and I think that is the key because nowadays it's the pitchers that go to college and most of the power hitters don't. You look at who we have lost to the draft recently- Vallot, Burdick, Riley, Pickett, Fenter, and now Robbins and Holderman. Only two of those are pitchers. And Fenter came very close to coming to MSU until the Orioles overpaid for him. And you look at Vandy and LSU- not a lot of power hitters on those teams either. Florida you could make a case but I would imagine that most of their guys weren't as highly thought of as power hitters as our recruits that we lost to the draft. Most of the guys that Florida has gotten through the draft are guys like Brady Singer- again another pitcher.

Todd4State
06-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Small has a big time arm, and worth millions because he's left handed. But, if he wants to be big time, he has to learn not to slow his arm down when throwing off speed stuff. That works in high school but not here. Reid did the same thing and made his avg slider below avg if you ask me. I could stand in the of and not watch the pitch and tell you what hump threw. Same w small. It's a fixable problem, but not without a lot of work and struggles to go with it.

That's the beauty of summer ball. A lot of time to work on that kind of thing. And a lot of time to get shelled without it mattering too much.

maroonmania
06-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Without taking anything away from Arizona- they were a team we should have beaten. That's what is frustrating to me. The other thing that is frustrating is like you said- we weren't loose and we went away from our hitting approach that worked the whole year and when we went back to it after the power outage we had two guys on and a chance to win and just didn't come through. The next day we went back to our old approach which worked and built up a lead. Then they hit that three run home run and that turned the momentum. And what's frustrating there is how we managed the bullpen and also the fact that no one could throw strikes and we allowed hit after hit all day long.

I don't know if they will make a run or not. I kind of tend to think no- and I'm calling a run winning two games in Omaha. A team like that which isn't dominant is only going to have good fortune for so long.

As far as our pitching- Small was committed to Vandy at one point in time, Breaux, Pilkington, Padgett, and now Ashcraft and Miller- I think we are getting there and I think that is the key because nowadays it's the pitchers that go to college and most of the power hitters don't. You look at who we have lost to the draft recently- Vallot, Burdick, Riley, Pickett, Fenter, and now Robbins and Holderman. Only two of those are pitchers. And Fenter came very close to coming to MSU until the Orioles overpaid for him. And you look at Vandy and LSU- not a lot of power hitters on those teams either. Florida you could make a case but I would imagine that most of their guys weren't as highly thought of as power hitters as our recruits that we lost to the draft. Most of the guys that Florida has gotten through the draft are guys like Brady Singer- again another pitcher.

Yes, we should have beaten Arizona but our offense just slumped at the wrong time. And the bullpen picked a bad game to have a bad inning or 2. Even if we had made it to Omaha, our offense would have needed to catch fire again to have made any real noise there. Rooker was the only hot hitter we had at the end of the year.

One question, who is Holderman?

Edit: OK, see that Holderman is a JUCO pitcher. So we are likely going to lose him?