PDA

View Full Version : Walker Robbins gone with last pick of 5th round.......

Taog Redloh
06-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Didn't see it mentioned. Guess errrrbody is in route to Stankpatch.

maroonmania
06-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Its in the recruiting class thread.

BB30
06-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Didn't see it mentioned. Guess errrrbody is in route to Stankpatch.

Depends on if the Cards underdrafted in the first couple of rounds to save some $$ for a highschool kid. If so, they could still throw a good bit a coin at him.

blacklistedbully
06-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Robbins is gone. Quoted in Sun Herald a few minutes ago.

Once the thrill of being drafted subsided, the business side of the draft kicked in. Can the Cardinals lure Robbins away from his commitment to Mississippi State? It looks like it.

Robbins' pick carries a value of $315,600, according to MLB.com. With a bonus pool of $9,364,300, 10th in MLB, the Cardinals likely have some wiggle room to offer Robbins over slot if they desire.

Robbins said the Cardinals checked with him before drafting him and he doesn't anticipate any snags in the negotiation process.

"I was hoping everything would work how I wanted it to and I'd go out of high school. When I finally got the call, it was the greatest feeling," he said. "I feel like everything worked out and I'll probably go ahead and go."

maroonmania
06-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Robbins is gone. Quoted in Sun Herald a few minutes ago.

Once the thrill of being drafted subsided, the business side of the draft kicked in. Can the Cardinals lure Robbins away from his commitment to Mississippi State? It looks like it.

Robbins' pick carries a value of $315,600, according to MLB.com. With a bonus pool of $9,364,300, 10th in MLB, the Cardinals likely have some wiggle room to offer Robbins over slot if they desire.

Robbins said the Cardinals checked with him before drafting him and he doesn't anticipate any snags in the negotiation process.

"I was hoping everything would work how I wanted it to and I'd go out of high school. When I finally got the call, it was the greatest feeling," he said. "I feel like everything worked out and I'll probably go ahead and go."

More and more its getting that major league teams are not going to draft a guy in the top 10 rounds if they don't already think they can sign him. Too much of a penalty now in coming up empty on a top 10 round draft pick.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Robbin's brother turned down a ton of money out of high school in order to go to USM & then was offered nothing out of USM. Family wasn't making the same mistake twice

Taog Redloh
06-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Robbin's brother turned down a ton of money out of high school in order to go to USM & then was offered nothing out of USM. Family wasn't making the same mistake twice

Yep and I don't blame them.

msstate7
06-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Yep and I don't blame them.

Me either.

blacklistedbully
06-10-2016, 04:48 PM

His brother was drafted in the 20th round, choose USM instead, then went in the 25th 3 years later. I'm sure it cost him some money, but couldn't have been that much.

Consider that Walker's spot in the 5th is valued at $315k. Imagine how much lower a 20th rounder would have got.

In Walker's case, he's valued a LOT higher already, so has the potential to move up higher in the draft toward serious money and a guaranteed contract that could set him up for life if he came to MSU and got coached up. He'd also do his early learning in a fun environment, instead of busing across the nation as a minor-leaguer, going from hotel-to-hotel, etc.

As per his comments, he's all but gone, but I do think he'd be better off coming to State. Barring injury I can't imagine him dropping much below $315k per year in 3 years by coming to MSU. And if he's got the upside everyone seems to think he has, he could earn himself a lot more if he comes here first.

If he came, didn't improved and even dropped a couple of rounds, he'd be getting something like $180K. But if he came here and went up a couple of rounds, he'd be well over $1/2 million. Get himself up 3 rounds and he'd be over $1 mill.

So, my thinking is this is a guy who should take out an insurance policy against injury, come to State, improve his value in a stable, fun environment, and make a helluva lot more money in 3 years. Because if he couldn't improve enough at State to do it, he's not going to improve enough in the minors to do it either.

I just don't see much down-side career-wise if he came to State, but see plenty of upside. But again, he's gone. Probably gonna get a much sweetened deal, and will like the fact that he doesn't have to worry about going to school and studying, etc. He's also, though not realizing how much fun he's gonna miss by not being a college student.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2016, 05:57 PM
His brother was drafted in the 20th round, choose USM instead, then went in the 25th 3 years later. I'm sure it cost him some money, but couldn't have been that much.

Consider that Walker's spot in the 5th is valued at $315k. Imagine how much lower a 20th rounder would have got.

In Walker's case, he's valued a LOT higher already, so has the potential to move up higher in the draft toward serious money and a guaranteed contract that could set him up for life if he came to MSU and got coached up. He'd also do his early learning in a fun environment, instead of busing across the nation as a minor-leaguer, going from hotel-to-hotel, etc.

As per his comments, he's all but gone, but I do think he'd be better off coming to State. Barring injury I can't imagine him dropping much below $315k per year in 3 years by coming to MSU. And if he's got the upside everyone seems to think he has, he could earn himself a lot more if he comes here first.

If he came, didn't improved and even dropped a couple of rounds, he'd be getting something like $180K. But if he came here and went up a couple of rounds, he'd be well over $1/2 million. Get himself up 3 rounds and he'd be over $1 mill.

So, my thinking is this is a guy who should take out an insurance policy against injury, come to State, improve his value in a stable, fun environment, and make a helluva lot more money in 3 years. Because if he couldn't improve enough at State to do it, he's not going to improve enough in the minors to do it either.

I just don't see much down-side career-wise if he came to State, but see plenty of upside. But again, he's gone. Probably gonna get a much sweetened deal, and will like the fact that he doesn't have to worry about going to school and studying, etc. He's also, though not realizing how much fun he's gonna miss by not being a college student.

Your assuming you know things you don't know.

1. Robbins will get more than the slot he was drafted at.

2. His brother was drafted under the old draft rules where you could pay whatever you wanted. His brother turned down 300K+ & then got about 50K after three years at USM