PDA

View Full Version : Former MSU commit Alex Speas went in the 2nd round, switched to AU after Butch

Tbonewannabe
06-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Any chance Auburn gets him to come to school? I remember thinking he could be a Sunday starter as a freshman but then he switched when Butch left.

Taog Redloh
06-10-2016, 09:40 AM
No.

MarketingBully
06-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Yeah, if they are selected in the second round, the teams pretty much believe they will sign them.

Tbonewannabe
06-10-2016, 09:58 AM
I didn't think so but UF and Vandy have starting pitchers that passed up first round money to go to school. I wasn't sure if Alex was one of those guys that might do that.

Bully13
06-10-2016, 10:06 AM
How the 17 does a kid turn down 1st round money for college? I've never understood that. And why the 17 can't we if others can?

Taog Redloh
06-10-2016, 10:09 AM
How the 17 does a kid turn down 1st round money for college? I've never understood that. And why the 17 can't we if others can?

You have to be sure enough elite to do it.....ie, you KNOW you have the physical measurables to go higher as a junior. And pitching is generally easier to predict than hitting. And sometimes the guys like Tyler Beede already come from a wealthy family. A Vandy or Florida education isn't bad, either. Sorry to say, but MSU does not offer that at present.

maroonmania
06-10-2016, 10:44 AM
I didn't think so but UF and Vandy have starting pitchers that passed up first round money to go to school. I wasn't sure if Alex was one of those guys that might do that.

He gone. In his interviews he in no way sounded like a guy committed to going to school. Now that was back when he was committed to us so I guess he could have changed his tune but I doubt it.