PDA

View Full Version : Way too early projected baseball starters for 2017...

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Just to keep baseball discussion going until tomorrow. Using the current roster and signees list I would say:

1B - Cole 'Mullet' Gordon
2B - Hunter Stovall
SS - Ryan Gridley
3B - Luke Alexander
RF - Brent Rooker (draft risk) or Tanner Poole?
CF - Jake Mangum
LF - Chase Goldwater(draft risk) or Cody Brown
C - Jack Kreuger(draft risk) or Elih Marrero

I will assume that Robson, Lowe, Collins and Humphreys all definitely sign. Pitching is much more of a crapshoot depending on what Sexton and Houston do. From the freshman though I would expect Pilkington and Cyr to be two of our weekend starters next year based on this year's performance. Need some more of our freshman crop of pitchers to really make a jump for next year. Thoughts?

smootness
06-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Alexander will be playing SS. And I think there's at least a chance Robbins shows up.

I think Pilkington and Cyr have a leg up on the others for rotation spots, but they'll be up for grabs. I could see Breaux, Small, Padgett, or a couple others emerging.

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Alexander will be playing SS. And I think there's at least a chance Robbins shows up.

I think Pilkington and Cyr have a leg up on the others for rotation spots, but they'll be up for grabs. I could see Breaux, Small, Padgett, or a couple others emerging.

So is Robbins more of a 1B or a pitcher? He is listed both ways.

Big4Dawg
06-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Who is the OF that graduated HS a year early?

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Also, I believe Alexander, Gridley and Stovall will form 2B through 3B in some form or fashion. Could indeed be that Alexander goes to SS, Gridley to 2B and Stovall to 3B.

Taog Redloh
06-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Swinarski. He's gone.

Taog Redloh
06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
A few positions are nearly set in stone, to me:

CF - Mangum
RF - Rooker
SS - Alexander
2B - Gridley
3B - Stovall
C - Marrero

If Kruger comes back, I think he DHs or is in LF. He may help out Marrero some I guess. Brown will be the 4th OF or maybe the LF if he's better in the field than Kruger.

I'm not worried about pitching at all.

preachermatt83
06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Gridley has molded into a very solid SS. He will be our SS next yr IMO.

Johnson85
06-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Just to keep baseball discussion going until tomorrow. Using the current roster and signees list I would say:

1B - Cole 'Mullet' Gordon
2B - Hunter Stovall
SS - Ryan Gridley
3B - Luke Alexander
RF - Brent Rooker (draft risk) or Tanner Poole?
CF - Jake Mangum
LF - Chase Goldwater(draft risk) or Cody Brown
C - Jack Kreuger(draft risk) or Elih Marrero

I will assume that Robson, Lowe, Collins and Humphreys all definitely sign. Pitching is much more of a crapshoot depending on what Sexton and Houston do. From the freshman though I would expect Pilkington and Cyr to be two of our weekend starters next year based on this year's performance. Need some more of our freshman crop of pitchers to really make a jump for next year. Thoughts?

I know we've been upgrading out talent, so maybe some of the newcomers will not be that big of a drop off, but that's a little sobering.

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 03:16 PM

I tend to agree. Cohen likes to stick with experience at SS and now Gridley has it. I liken it to a few years ago when around 80% of this board was spouting that John Holland was going to come in and move Seth Heck to another position but that didn't happen.

Taog Redloh
06-09-2016, 03:22 PM

He would have moved to 2B THIS season had Alexander not gotten hurt. Don't be dumb, dude.

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 03:25 PM
I know we've been upgrading out talent, so maybe some of the newcomers will not be that big of a drop off, but that's a little sobering.

IF we keep Rooker, Krueger and Goldwater then I don't see any significant dropoff. Biggest question marks in that case would be can Goldwater and Gordon replace the production of Lowe and Humphreys.

smootness
06-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I tend to agree. Cohen likes to stick with experience at SS and now Gridley has it. I liken it to a few years ago when around 80% of this board was spouting that John Holland was going to come in and move Seth Heck to another position but that didn't happen.

That was last year, and Holland didn't move Heck off SS but Gridley did. Alexander is a much better defensive SS than Gridley, and I like Gridley a lot.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-09-2016, 03:51 PM
IF we keep Rooker, Krueger and Goldwater then I don't see any significant dropoff. Biggest question marks in that case would be can Goldwater and Gordon replace the production of Lowe and Humphreys.

Shouldn't be too hard to replace a .270 hitter, should it?

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to replace a .270 hitter, should it?

Don't know, only C34 has him batting .270, everyone else has him at .317.***

baseballfan
06-09-2016, 06:50 PM
I'm afraid some of our freshmen are going to transfer out.

Taog Redloh
06-09-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm afraid some of our freshmen are going to transfer out.

Who? Padgett? That's so April. Hear this....all the dudes want to play. They won't be happy sitting the bench.