PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele Prediction

GTHOM
06-08-2016, 08:15 PM
I dont normally buy preseason magazines but I looked it up and Steele has been the most accurate over the past decade or so. His site put up our prediction and he is calling for a 9 win season this year. Thats a lot better than the other magazines I've seen. What do y'all think

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Well that's a piece of good news. Steele pretty good prognosticator.

Dawgowar
06-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Man, anything with 6 or more and I am happy. Simply have no clue what we are going to get this year. None whatsoever.

Goldendawg
06-08-2016, 08:25 PM
I'll take it, but I sure want one of the nine to be UNM! Hopefully, their program will be in complete disarray by then. I quit buying all of those type mags. I think they pander to the "big boys" with fan bases that will buy the most magazines. I will still speed read one at the counter and put it back b4 I checkout. Kind of like Joe Namath in that '70's motorcycle movie with Ann Margaret (lucky dog) when he made a sandwich, had desert, drank a coke, in the grocery store and then bought a pack of gum on his way out.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 08:33 PM
I'll take it, but I sure want one of the nine to be UNM! Hopefully, their program will be in complete disarray by then. I quit buying all of those type mags. I think they pander to the "big boys" with fan bases that will buy the most magazines. I will still speed read one at the counter and put it back b4 I checkout. Kind of like Joe Namath in that '70's motorcycle movie with Ann Margaret (lucky dog) when he made a sandwich, had desert, drank a coke, in the grocery store and then bought a pack of gum on his way out.

Dang I'm getting old! I remember that movie!

Dawgowar
06-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Dang I'm getting old! I remember that movie!

Damn ---that man can ****ing act too!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFSlFa-bo0

Goldendawg
06-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Dad carried me to my 1st Egg Bowl in '64. 10-10 tie. I'm blessed with a 32 yr old daughter and a 15 year old hardcore Bulldog son! He's with me for every home game and helping me stay as young as possible. Loves my Nugent, Montrose, Aerosmith, AC/DC CD's. Wouldn't take anything for our roadtrips to MSU.

Goldendawg
06-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Saw the movie at the local, long gone drive-in. Thanks for the link DawgofWar, but it just won't be the same.

TUSK
06-08-2016, 09:09 PM
I dont normally buy preseason magazines but I looked it up and Steele has been the most accurate over the past decade or so. His site put up our prediction and he is calling for a 9 win season this year. Thats a lot better than the other magazines I've seen. What do y'all think

Steele has been one of the best (if not the best) for a while, now...

He's also been hammered as a "hack" [sic] on ED for a while... this is the first "pro-ish" Steele post I've seen here...

Evidently, he's got yall sweeping OOC games & going 5-3 in the SEC (AL, LSU, OM?)...

Dawgowar
06-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Saw the movie at the local, long gone drive-in. Thanks for the link DawgofWar, but it just won't be the same.

Well, if we are talking 1970's Mississippi Drive-In fare:

They greatest Cowboy of all time. And don't even throw Josey Wales against the Duke. Just don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0-V7s0B-8Q

PassInterference
06-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Phil is a damn genius.

Dawgowar
06-08-2016, 09:24 PM

He's also been hammered as a "hack" [sic] on ED for a while... this is the first "pro-ish" Steele post I've seen here...

Evidently, he's got yall sweeping OOC games & going 5-3 in the SEC (AL, LSU, OM?)...

Okay Tusk - who is to blame for Joe Willie's acting - The Bammer Drama Department or the Bear himself.

TUSK
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Okay Tusk - who is to blame for Joe Willie's acting - The Bammer Drama Department or the Bear himself.

When you're a Top 100 All Time C.A.T., ya don't have to be able to act well...

msstate7
06-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Interesting that Steele has a 9-win team when the more optimistic guys (myself included) here say 8-4. Did anyone actually read steele's reasoning?

confucius say
06-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Can't see us winning 9. I like the over on our projected 6 wins on five dimes, but can't see 9.

Pollodawg
06-08-2016, 09:54 PM

Was just about to make this exact point. lol

Pollodawg
06-08-2016, 09:55 PM
I honestly don't think we'll take that big of a step back, and if we can find a running back may actually be about as good as least season.

preachermatt83
06-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Take a look at his prediction/preview for us the last two years. Steele is not all he's cracked up to be.

TUSK
06-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Interesting that Steele has a 9-win team when the more optimistic guys (myself included) here say 8-4. Did anyone actually read steele's reasoning?

TUSK
06-08-2016, 10:01 PM

http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2016_Top_40_Countdown/38_Miss_St.pdf

AlmostPositive
06-08-2016, 10:03 PM
If Sirmon is as good as Wes Johnson, we'll have a hell of a defense.

TUSK
06-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Take a look at his prediction/preview for us the last two years. Steele is not all he's cracked up to be.

He may not pick Miss State very well... but, overall, he outperforms most.

Dawgowar
06-08-2016, 10:27 PM
When you're a Top 100 All Time C.A.T., ya don't have to be able to act well...

You win. But the all time worst Bama, if not football acting job, was Gary Busey as Bear Bryant. Bad movie. Bad, bad, bad.

RougeDawg
06-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Well that's a piece of good news. Steele pretty good prognosticator.

NO. NO THE F*CK HE IS NOT. He's as horrible as any.

TUSK
06-08-2016, 10:39 PM

no.

Coach34
06-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Steele is probably the best out there-but he has been pretty bad predicting us

9 is certainly our ceiling of everything goes like we want it. But damn- that's a lot to hope for

BeardoMSU
06-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Shit, lets hope he has a similar cultural effect as Wes. That'd be pretty bad ass.

FISHDAWG
06-09-2016, 07:43 AM

if I remember correctly - he had us last in the west and around 7 wins last year when we had a better team

mic
06-09-2016, 07:50 AM

We have upgraded the defensive staff at every position...

SouthMSDog
06-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Man, anything with 6 or more and I am happy. Simply have no clue what we are going to get this year. None whatsoever.

This.

Jack Lambert
06-09-2016, 08:37 AM

I always read them at the Hudson store in airports when I am traveling. The clerks don't really care.

MarketingBully
06-09-2016, 08:39 AM

You're optimistic? I guess I have a different definition of optimism. I think 7-5 is our floor and 9-3 is our ceiling with the two swing games being A&M and Auburn. Both of those games are at home so 9-3 is possible. Without much effort at all, we could be 7-1. This is just a weird season because we really just don't know what we are going to get from the QB position. But we return a ton of depth from last year. If we get above average to good from the QB position, this could be a very good year.

Pollodawg
06-09-2016, 10:28 AM
This is the first team since Dan has been here where there has been a legit QB battle. We all knew as long as Tyler could play, Dan would play him. There really was no controversy from the coaching staff in that regard. However, all of the QBs are knotted at zero. So, we don't know. If I had to guess in June, I think Fitz locks it up by LSU. Staley still, and this concerns me, just isn't where he needs to be yet. Damien, bless his heart, has tons of heart, but little talent. Tiano is the guy after this seaosn. IMHO. The real question is running back.

PMDawg
06-09-2016, 11:39 AM

Considering the source - I'll take this as a ringing endorsement for Steele.

RougeDawg
06-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Considering the source - I'll take this as a ringing endorsement for Steele.

The source is called the Internet search. You should try it one day and educate yourself. He picks bama every year and is absoulutely clueless on every other program.

SDDawg
06-09-2016, 11:55 AM
I think Steele's reasoning is sound. I see our floor being 6 wins (assume minor injuries, QB struggles early and a road debacle at UMass or BYU) and the ceiling as 9 wins (hard to win SEC road games). Gives me a lot of confidence on the potential for 8 wins which would be a very solid showing for this team. Can't wait to see this team play.