PDA

View Full Version : We had five baseball players named All-American

Todd4State
08-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Per collegebaseballinsider.com

Hunter Renfroe, Adam Frazier, Chad Girodo, Jonathan Holder, and...........................

Ross Mitchell.

messageboardsuperhero
08-21-2013, 08:04 PM
It's impressive to see the type of talent Cohen put on the field the last couple of years, especially considering he had no recent success at State to sell those guys on when they were being recruited. It gets me excited about players like McCord, Alexander, Riley, Vallot, etc.

This is off topic, but I was wondering what position you thought Austin Riley would play in college (assuming he makes it)? I know he's an elite level prospect in the field and as a pitcher. Could he play both at State?

Todd4State
08-21-2013, 08:17 PM
That's a great question. I honestly think he could do both- of course it's a LONG way to go. But he is already throwing 91 and he has shown legit power in the best high school baseball league in Mississippi as a sophomore. It might depend on where we have a spot open because he could play the corner infield and outfield positions. I don't think he will play catcher because we have Hunter Stovall in that class. If he is a starting pitcher, we might just use him at DH and him being a relief pitcher is also a possibility.

We'll know more as that class comes together, but there is no doubt he is a special talent. My educated guess right now is RF and starting pitcher.

messageboardsuperhero
08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
It is a long way out. I'm sure Cohen will watch how he develops these next couple of years and then go from there. I think Riley has a better chance at playing both ways than Woodruff and Renfore did because he seems much more polished. Riley plays for Desoto Central and the Dulin Dodgers, so he's going up against much better competition than either of those guys did.

Part of me does have a hard time imagining him not hit in college, considering how much of a premium is placed on guys with his kind of power these days. Then again, there will always be a ton of value in a potentially dominant starting pitcher too, so who knows?

Homedawg
08-21-2013, 09:06 PM
That's a great question. I honestly think he could do both- of course it's a LONG way to go. But he is already throwing 91 and he has shown legit power in the best high school baseball league in Mississippi as a sophomore. It might depend on where we have a spot open because he could play the corner infield and outfield positions. I don't think he will play catcher because we have Hunter Stovall in that class. If he is a starting pitcher, we might just use him at DH and him being a relief pitcher is also a possibility.

We'll know more as that class comes together, but there is no doubt he is a special talent. My educated guess right now is RF and starting pitcher.

I was told Riley would play for us this year, he's that good. And this didn't come from some slap. This came from someone who should know! Like really know!

Todd4State
08-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Well, Renfroe kind of started pitching by accident in high school. His coach was kind of like- "well, he obviously has an unbelievable arm, so..." and then he starts throwing 96. We probably could have used Renfroe as a relief pitcher, but he was so raw, it would have taken away from all the other things he needed to learn. Hunter was never going to be a starting pitcher for anyone.

I think Woodruff would have been given a long look at being a dual position guy this year, but then he hurt his arm, so his focus is going to be more on rehab than hitting. He actually had a few at bats as a freshman, but it has always been obvious that his future is as a pitcher.

Todd4State
08-21-2013, 09:21 PM
I was told Riley would play for us this year, he's that good. And this didn't come from some slap. This came from someone who should know! Like really know!

He probably would have started at third base on last year's team. He might have had some freshman issues like everyone else does at that age, but I think he would have held his own at the plate and in the field. The guy basically almost single handedly beat Madison Central in the playoffs.

He's already almost 6'3"- I'm wondering if he will grow anymore?

The 2015 baseball class for the state of Mississippi is going to be one of the best in awhile with Riley, Luke Alexander, Jake Mangum, and Keegan James. We already have commitments from three of those four guys.

messageboardsuperhero
08-21-2013, 09:22 PM

That's some pretty damn high praise for a guy who still has two full years of high school left. I just hope he makes it to campus.

Homedawg
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
That's some pretty damn high praise for a guy who still has two full years of high school left. I just hope he makes it to campus.

Now therein lies a problem! But, at least he wants to be here. A legacy. A commit for 3 years when the time comes. So at least we have a shot. Need to convince him to come in dec. of 14. And trust me, it will come up!

MsStateBaseball
08-22-2013, 11:43 AM
I expect Riley to be Mississippi Player of the Year the next two years. Apparently, the 2014 class in Miss is pretty weak.