PDA

View Full Version : If I'm being a jackass about the SECNetwork's softball coverage...

AlmostPositive
06-08-2016, 05:48 PM
...it's because I'm a jackass about a lot of things.

I didn't intend to become expert on Emily Carosone and assorted other Auburn softball players, but it's happening.

This is a minor thing in itself, but having a media concern ram its identity politics agenda down your throat tedious at best.

As others have mentioned, ESPN is hemorrhaging cash.. I hope they PC themselves into oblivion. Soon.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 05:51 PM
It's A sad day when softball coverage is 24/7 and college baseball coverage is sporadic at best. I'm sick of softball, everytime I look at my guide it says college softball. They could've had so many more of the regional games on regular tv instead of the Internet but I guess that would've interfered with women's softball coverage!

TheRef
06-08-2016, 05:53 PM
For those of you bitching about softball coverage right now, it's the Women's College World Series. Auburn is going against Oklahoma in the championship series and they are going to a Game 3. So if there's any time for you to bitch about softball coverage, it isn't now. Plus just like how to the SEC is tops in baseball, it's tops in softball.

Reason2succeed
06-08-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm hard left and I agree that TV should be based on what people want to watch so it's not a political thing. There literally can't be that many people wanting to watch college softball. It is ridiculous.

But it was also ridiculous that during the baseball tournament they were playing replays of football spring games. That's just bad programming all the way around.

AlmostPositive
06-08-2016, 05:58 PM
For those of you bitching about softball coverage right now, it's the Women's College World Series. Auburn is going against Oklahoma in the championship series and they are going to a Game 3. So if there's any time for you to bitch about softball coverage, it isn't now. Plus just like how to the SEC is tops in baseball, it's tops in softball.

I didn't wait until now to bitch. The coverage is wildly incommensurate with fan interest. How much Collegiate Bass Fishing coverage was there?

Taog Redloh
06-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Man, I agree. But it's funny you mention this. I was in a meeting with 3 other people yesterday (2 men, 1 woman, all younger than 40). We started talking sports and all 3 of them said baseball was boring and softball was more entertaining. Color me shocked but I guess that's popular opinion, which is probably why ESPN covers it.

But remember, nobody cares until Super Regionals, in either sport. I suspect you'll see big coverage for baseball this weekend too. Curious which one, apple to apple, has higher ratings.

Really Clark?
06-08-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm hard left and I agree that TV should be based on what people want to watch so it's not a political thing. There literally can't be that many people wanting to watch college softball. It is ridiculous.

But it was also ridiculous that during the baseball tournament they were playing replays of football spring games. That's just bad programming all the way around.

Last year's Softball World Series finals had better viewership than the CWS finals.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 06:13 PM
The coverage has been totally unbalanced. I understand they are in their World Series but come on the coverage of the baseball regionals sucked. It could've been more balanced for sure

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Last year's Softball World Series finals had better viewership than the CWS finals.

What about the ratings for the regionals and supers not just the finals? I've got nothing against softball but it's being covered just about 24/7.

Bothrops
06-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Espn is a ****ing piece of shit that is trying to destroy college baseball. The political agenda there is no different than a number of regular cable news networks. But they have the whole market share and they are trying to make us conform to their liberal ideals. It's everywhere now.

Really Clark?
06-08-2016, 06:27 PM
What about the ratings for the regionals and supers not just the finals? I've got nothing against softball but it's being covered just about 24/7.

They didn't cover every regional softball game like baseball this year so I'm not sure the numbers can compare. And I don't really feel like looking at all those games for each sport to compare numbers. Lol. In the end most people the last few years are surprised at how well the softball numbers actually produce. I believe the World Series is mainly when the bulk of people watch softball. But last year's overall coverage or finals (can't remember which) was up 30% and actually beat baseball for the first time. I think that is a lot better than most people would think.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 06:27 PM
I thought the narrative was when sec network launched we would get all these baseball games but that has not been true. I don't count the games on the web. I got the secn to watch it on tv.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 06:31 PM
They didn't cover every regional softball game like baseball this year so I'm not sure the numbers can compare. And I don't really feel like looking at all those games for each sport to compare numbers. Lol. In the end most people the last few are surprised at how well the softball numbers actually produce. I believe the World Series is mainly when the bulk of people watch softball. But last year's overall coverage or finals (can't remember which) was up 30% and actually beat baseba for the first time. I think that is a lot better than most people would think.

That's cool and I don't blame you for not wanting to look that up lol. The coverage for college baseball was better in the 80's. I just wanna see more college baseball. Heck the pac12 network shows a ton of games and even the big 10 network does too. You woukd think as big as baseball is in sec that they would cover it better. Nothing against women's softball I just wanna see better baseball coverage.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-08-2016, 06:36 PM

I think the bitch and gripe is the SEC had a baseball season that will probably not be seen again and what did they put on at prime time Saturday night all season long, softball over great baseball series.

Really Clark?
06-08-2016, 06:39 PM
That's cool and I don't blame you for not wanting to look that up lol. The coverage for college baseball was better in the 80's. I just wanna see more college baseball. Heck the pac12 network shows a ton of games and even the big 10 network does too. You woukd think as big as baseball is in sec that they would cover it better. Nothing against women's softball I just wanna see better baseball coverage.

Don't disagree really. Especially regular season games. Just with them having the supers and World Series earlier than baseball I don't mind these last few weeks softball getting a lot of coverage. Without a daughter who plays competitively I probably would not be as a big of fan of softball as I have become. So much similarities with baseball yet so different. And with so many baseball guys crossing over into softball (which I have done partially as well) the fundamentals and technical aspects are starting to really show the last 5-6 years. There is some really good fast paced ball being played at the highest levels. Along with the overall popularity of the sport it has grown a good bit the last decade.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 06:41 PM
I think the bitch and gripe is the SEC had a baseball season that will probably not be seen again and what did they put on at prime time Saturday night all season long, softball over great baseball series.

Yep the baseball coverage sucked period. I guarantee you ratings for sec baseball would be stout! All the great games this year that could've been on.

Taog Redloh
06-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Espn is a ****ing piece of shit that is trying to destroy college baseball. The political agenda there is no different than a number of regular cable news networks. But they have the whole market share and they are trying to make us conform to their liberal ideals. It's everywhere now.

Do you think so? I know I'm a smart ass most of the time, but I'm asking in all seriousness. I try to give benefit of the doubt but I don't know if it's just simple popularity or if there really is an agenda.

Taog Redloh
06-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Yep the baseball coverage sucked period. I guarantee you ratings for sec baseball would be stout! All the great games this year that could've been on.

There is a lot more on TV now than it used to be.

Liverpooldawg
06-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Both college softball AND baseball are minor sports in the grand scheme of things.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 07:09 PM
In the 80s you could watch college baseball on ESPN everyday. They even broadcast some d2 baseball games. The coverage has not kept up.

Taog Redloh
06-08-2016, 07:12 PM
In the 80s you could watch college baseball on ESPN everyday. They even broadcast some d2 baseball games. The coverage has not kept up.

I did not know this.

Taog Redloh
06-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Both college softball AND baseball are minor sports in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunately this is true. I read an article the other day where Vanderbilt went in the hole even with winning the CWS. The NCAA essentially offers ZERO subsidy like they do in football and basketball.

tireddawg
06-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Look I lean to the right and would much rather watch baseball. Having said that, I talked to 10 people in the past 2-3 days about this. 8 of them said they would rather watch softball.
Although ESPN it's politically driven by a liberal agenda, I don't think it's much do to with politics anymore. Initially yes, but not now. It's what most viewers want to see. Go figure

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 08:27 PM
I did not know this.

Yeah it was about the only major sport they had a contract on so they broadcast the heck out of it. I Remenber watching a South Alabama game from Stanky Field in 1979. It was awesome getting to watch so much college baseball(cuz the braves sucked so bad then).

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Look I lean to the right and would much rather watch baseball. Having said that, I talked to 10 people in the past 2-3 days about this. 8 of them said they would rather watch softball.
Although ESPN it's politically driven by a liberal agenda, I don't think it's much do to with politics anymore. Initially yes, but not now. It's what most viewers want to see. Go figure

Then why is attendance so much greater at college baseball games than softball games? Not trying to be argumentative but look at the crowds at sec baseball games and compare to sec softball. Don't think 11k gonna show up to softball.

shoeless joe
06-08-2016, 08:33 PM

Oh it's definitely still am agenda driven network, but as I said the other day, their softball coverage isn't a reflection of that to me. I enjoy watching softball but I do get tired of the over overblown dramatics that are constantly interjected almost as if the announcers are saying..."see this is why this sport is great...I told you how awesome this is...see, see".
Starting this weekend every baseball game will be shown from here on out.

The agenda is found in the fact that they constantly want women analysts and they honored the Jenner individual and the ly worshipped Michael Sam; among other things.

Goldendawg
06-08-2016, 08:40 PM
I, too wondered why the SEC Network showed so few regional baseball games vs. the number being streamed. They were showing Spring Game reruns when we were often playing. Did daddy ESPN have the rights and wouldn't share with the SEC Network?

DawgNDCity
06-08-2016, 11:09 PM

But I live in Florida and everyone at my church here keeps up with and watches UF softball. They barely know they have a baseball team. And they don't go to watch either of them even though we live near Gainesville. They say softball is faster paced and the games don't last as long. So, as much as I hate to admit it, I think there is a bigger demand for softball than college baseball.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 11:51 PM
According to NCAA.org college baseball has never been more popular based on attendance and ratings. So not buying that softball is more in demand. The numbers don't back it up. Maybe for a week in June but defintely not overall. Maybe there is some agenda at work.

archdog
06-09-2016, 01:15 AM
Why are the bases so close. Can girls not run at least 70 feet between bases. Looks almost impossible to through someone out on a. Dribler to third.

archdog
06-09-2016, 01:18 AM
Looked it up, the bases are 60 feet apart. That's too short for the game. Just saw a girl almost beat a throw from second when the fielder was moving towards first. That should not happen.

Really Clark?
06-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Looked it up, the bases are 60 feet apart. That's too short for the game. Just saw a girl almost beat a throw from second when the fielder was moving towards first. That should not happen.

Softball scoring per game is still a little less than baseball. I think from that perspective the bases are probably about right. However, with better athletes and technique in hitting those numbers will probably continue to climb.

dawgoneyall
06-09-2016, 07:06 AM
If I'm being a jackass about the SECNetwork's softball coverage...

You are not.

dawgoneyall
06-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Do you think so? I know I'm a smart ass most of the time, but I'm asking in all seriousness. I try to give benefit of the doubt but I don't know if it's just simple popularity or if there really is an agenda.

There is an agenda. But the real problems is with the SEC network.

dickiedawg
06-09-2016, 08:42 AM
I, too wondered why the SEC Network showed so few regional baseball games vs. the number being streamed. They were showing Spring Game reruns when we were often playing. Did daddy ESPN have the rights and wouldn't share with the SEC Network?

I think it's because only one team in each game was an SEC team. I mean, what if they put this weekends series on the Pac 10 network and none of us get it? That may be a false equivalence because SECN is more widely distributed but even if it weren't we'd all be screaming bias.
Now, if SECN had done its own sort of bases loaded coverage at certain times I think that would have been awesome.

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Then why is attendance so much greater at college baseball games than softball games? Not trying to be argumentative but look at the crowds at sec baseball games and compare to sec softball. Don't think 11k gonna show up to softball.

I don't think talking to a random 10 people means much for judging interest in anything across the country. Not a lot of people watching college baseball or college softball to be honest but I certainly personally know a lot more interested in baseball. For one thing males, who are the predominant sports watchers, are going to prefer to watch men's sports over women's sports in general unless they have a personal interest in the game (or school playing). That's just a fact.

Maroon Blood
06-09-2016, 12:00 PM
This should clear things up for you:

http://www.flosoftball.com/article/33495-wcws-dominates-baseball-world-series-ratings

maroonmania
06-09-2016, 12:12 PM

http://www.flosoftball.com/article/33495-wcws-dominates-baseball-world-series-ratings

Interesting, although Florida and Michigan have many, many more sports fans in general than Vanderbilt and Virginia. If say Florida and Texas were playing in the CWS finals (since Michigan's baseball program is not up to par) I would be willing to bet that the CWS finals viewership would be significantly higher. Would be interesting to see if Aub-OK numbers can come close to matching Florida-Michigan viewership from last year. Bottom line is, outside the fanbases of the 2 schools left, there aren't a whole lot of people watching either.

Commercecomet24
06-09-2016, 12:16 PM

Thats for one series. Overall attendance and ratings are much greater for baseball.

SaintDawg
06-09-2016, 12:16 PM
...it's because I'm a jackass about a lot of things.
This is a minor thing in itself, but having a media concern ram its identity politics agenda down your throat tedious at best.
As others have mentioned, ESPN is hemorrhaging cash.. I hope they PC themselves into oblivion. Soon.
I posed a similar question regarding this same issue recently and was damn near crucified for mentioning it. I'm glad you brought it up again.
http://i.makeagif.com/media/9-28-2015/3NEMJC.gifI like the way you think.

Commercecomet24
06-09-2016, 12:19 PM
I don't think talking to a random 10 people means much for judging interest in anything across the country. Not a lot of people watching college baseball or college softball to be honest but I certainly personally know a lot more interested in baseball. For one thing males, who are the predominant sports watchers, are going to prefer to watch men's sports over women's sports in general unless they have a personal interest in the game (or school playing). That's just a fact.

Agree with you on all those points. It is hard to judge interest based on just asking a few people thats whey i dug into the numbers on the NCAA site. Neither sport is the draw that Football or basketball is, however baseball in the Southeast is very well attended and watched.

AusTexDawg
06-09-2016, 12:37 PM
I think it's because only one team in each game was an SEC team. I mean, what if they put this weekends series on the Pac 10 network and none of us get it? That may be a false equivalence because SECN is more widely distributed but even if it weren't we'd all be screaming bias.
Now, if SECN had done its own sort of bases loaded coverage at certain times I think that would have been awesome.

Just speculation on my part, but I wonder, because the regionals are organized under the NCAA umbrella, if that's why they weren't on the SECN. In regular season football and baseball, the SECN has the rights, but the regionals are not technically SEC home games.

The idea of bases loaded SECN coverage sounds great.

Commercecomet24
06-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Just speculation on my part, but I wonder, because the regionals are organized under the NCAA umbrella, if that's why they weren't on the SECN. In regular season football and baseball, the SECN has the rights, but the regionals are not technically SEC home games.

The idea of bases loaded SECN coverage sounds great.

The Friday Night before the Season started the SEC Network did like a baseball tonight show and I thought this is going to be an ongoing thing, GREAT! They never did it again lol! An SEC baseball tonight on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday would be well watched and would be awesome!

Really Clark?
06-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Found some numbers for comparing. The 2014 CWS Omaha games:

ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU’s 17 College World Series telecasts averaged 1,123,000 viewers and a 0.7 US HH rating, making it the most-viewed College World Series since 2011 with increases of 18 percent (vs. 949,000 viewers) and 17 percent (vs. 0.6 US HH rating), respectively, over 14 telecasts in 2013.

The 2015 WCWS OKC games:

ESPN’s entire presentation of the 2015 Women’s College World Series bracket round (Thursday, May 28, through Sunday, May 31) averaged 1,055,000 viewers (12 games), the second most-viewed WCWS bracket round on ESPN networks –which started in 1997 -- topped only by the 2011 WCWS bracket round (1,114,000 average viewers).

I think the numbers are continuing to get very close to each other. At least the finals are it seems.

Commercecomet24
06-09-2016, 01:25 PM
You know its really not a baseball vs softball thing so much as it is the crappy coverage. I think that is what is getting people pissed off, is ESPN and SECN has just done a really bad job of covering baseball. I believe, especially here in the South that the college baseball is a big deal and they would do just fine if they showed more great games and had some type of Baseball Tonight Show on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There's way more baseball games to watch on the PAC12 Network and college baseball aint nearly as popular. From what was said in the beginning I was expecting the SECN to do a ton of coverage on college baseball and it just hasn't happened. Disappointed to say the least.

TUSK
06-09-2016, 01:29 PM
I dunno if it's a left wing conspiracy, a fad, or just coincidental... but I do know this:

if there was a lot more money to be made on baseball coverage vs softball coverage, we'd see more baseball than softball.

Commercecomet24
06-09-2016, 01:33 PM
I dunno if it's a left wing conspiracy, a fad, or just coincidental... but I do know this:

if there was a lot more money to be made on baseball coverage vs softball coverage, we'd see more baseball than softball.

I agree that neither one is a money maker but the coverage has been crappy and lackluster. I mean they've been showing replays of spring football games instead of live SEC games. Can't tell me more people wouldn't be watching those baseball games than those replays, with the acception of Bama of course lol

TUSK
06-09-2016, 01:40 PM
I agree that neither one is a money maker but the coverage has been crappy and lackluster. I mean they've been showing replays of spring football games instead of live SEC games. Can't tell me more people wouldn't be watching those baseball games than those replays, with the acception of Bama of course lol

that's pretty funny.... nice...

I think the continual Spring Game Replays are ridiculous, but I suppose it's just priming people for football (which is the big money maker)...

Hell, I don't even watch Bammer's Nationally televised spring game (in front of 80,000), and it has more talent than most bowl games*

*I'm boning up on my passive-aggressive-arrogant trolling skills for the fall.

AlmostPositive
06-09-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that ESPN is not allowing market preference to dictate its programming. It is top-down promotion at beat, not a natural swell of viewer interest.