PDA

View Full Version : OT: Paint job or getting jobbed?

M.Fillmore
06-08-2016, 05:14 PM
I took my son's 2002 GMC Sierra pick up truck to get painted. We agreed upon the price. When I went to pick the truck up, the entire truck was painted EXCEPT for the truck bed (the back where you load stuff). The owner was out. His assistant said they never paint truck beds because they get scratched so easily and to paint it would cost extra. I figured the whole truck would get painted. Who is right? Should I just demand that side walls of the truck bed get painted, and not the floor on the truck bed? That will get scratched up. Should I demand the entire bed be painted? What about the extra charge? I think no. We agreed on the truck getting painted, not part of it.

Insight is desired!

basedog
06-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Don't paint the bed. You should have the bed sprayed with a liner.

Johnson85
06-08-2016, 05:34 PM
I took my son's 2002 GMC Sierra pick up truck to get painted. We agreed upon the price. When I went to pick the truck up, the entire truck was painted EXCEPT for the truck bed (the back where you load stuff). The owner was out. His assistant said they never paint truck beds because they get scratched so easily and to paint it would cost extra. I figured the whole truck would get painted. Who is right? Should I just demand that side walls of the truck bed get painted, and not the floor on the truck bed? That will get scratched up. Should I demand the entire bed be painted? What about the extra charge? I think no. We agreed on the truck getting painted, not part of it.

Insight is desired!

They should have clarified up front. I'd push hard for them to paint everywhere there is paint to begin with, which I think is what most reasonable people would think the agreement to "paint the truck" or car or whatever is. That said, unless they're worried about you hurting their reputation, probably not much you can do.

Goldendawg
06-08-2016, 06:03 PM
I'd expect them to paint the entire truck, bed included. What kind of shape is the bed in for an "02" truck? Does it or did other areas of the truck need any body work? That might change things. I do admit to never having a truck painted, many cars however. I'll ask my friend who has a body shop.

Dawgcentral
06-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Paint the damn bed. It's a sprayer and would have taken 30 - 45 seconds.

JoseBrown
06-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I agree, if not specified, he should have shot the bed..it is part of the truck, and has paint on it now.... Although, I'd rather spray or DIY roll on bed liner than paint the inside of the bed.

Goldendawg
06-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I just talked to my friend at his body shop. He painted my silver 79 vette about 10 years ago and it still looks great. He said that he used to always paint the bed when he painted a pickup. He says now it's something that they talk about up front. He said to do it properly you should remove the bed from the cab or really tape it up good to avoid overspray on the cab. He said that if he didn't paint it, it could well have saved you $200 to $300. I don't guess I'm much help. My wife drives our pickup that she inherited from her dad. I'm a car guy.

tireddawg
06-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Have you paid em?

M.Fillmore
06-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Have you paid em?

Nope. I haven't paid him.

I don't know if they do bedliners. I'll try negotiating on that point to get a bedliner instead.

tireddawg
06-08-2016, 10:43 PM
That's what I'd do. I don't think it's right what they did but be cool & it'll probably work out to benefit you both.

I'd like to know how it turns out.

MStateDawg
06-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Which bodyshop was this?

Jack Lambert
06-09-2016, 08:39 AM
If they told you that the truck was going be painted for the price and did not specify that the bed would not be, They need to paint the bed. That's on them.

fishwater99
06-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Nope. I haven't paid him.

I don't know if they do bedliners. I'll try negotiating on that point to get a bedliner instead.

Don't pay them until you are satisfied one way or the other.