PDA

View Full Version : Cohen makes 3rd Super in 6 seasons

Coach34
06-08-2016, 10:07 AM
No Mora Excuses- and he didnt make any. Got the job done and an SEC title on top of it. Time for those that have been holding back donations out of spite to come off of it and write that check. Let's get the stadium built for the best baseball fans in the country- at the best place to play in the country- to help us continue to be one of the top 15 programs in the country.

We should win the Super- and hopefully capitalize off this run a little better in recruiting so we dont dip as much between CWS appearances. All the damage Polk did should be forever done away with after this season. Let's build it and bring on a new Era of State baseball.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 10:11 AM
No Mora Excuses- and he didnt make any. Got the job done and an SEC title on top of it. Time for those that have been holding back donations out of spite to come off of it and write that check. Let's get the stadium built for the best baseball fans in the country- at the best place to play in the country- to help us continue to be one of the top 15 programs in the country.

We should win the Super- and hopefully capitalize off this run a little better in recruiting so we dont dip as much between CWS appearances. All the damage Polk did should be forever done away with after this season. Let's build it and bring on a new Era of State baseball.

Right on! AMEN and AMEN!

maroonmania
06-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Couldn't agree more! And Cohen has now tied in 6 seasons the number of Supers we ever went to before his arrival. I believe Mac took us to two that we lost in 2000 and 2001 and then we hosted the one in 2007 that we won.

dawgoneyall
06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Couldn't agree more! And Cohen has now tied in 6 seasons the number of Supers we ever went to before his arrival. I believe Mac took us to two that we lost in 2000 and 2001 and then we hosted the one in 2007 that we won.

An hosted because the two #1's were beat in regional.

Bullsy
06-08-2016, 10:49 AM
This year against Arizona

2013 won at Virginia

2011 won regional at GT and then lost at Florida. . . Is that right?

maroonmania
06-08-2016, 10:56 AM
An hosted because the two #1's were beat in regional.

True, this is our first SR hosting spot that we have actually 'earned'.

JETDAWG
06-08-2016, 11:21 AM
If we bring a championship home from Omaha, he is nearly on par with Polk. I know its a big step, but we are trending up over his tenure.

MaroonState
06-08-2016, 11:35 AM
If he wins a natty then he passes Polk. Period.

Tbonewannabe
06-08-2016, 11:36 AM
This year against Arizona

2013 won at Virginia

2011 won regional at GT and then lost at Florida. . . Is that right?

And at UF we were around 9 outs from Omaha.

mparkerfd20
06-08-2016, 11:40 AM
If we bring a championship home from Omaha, he is nearly on par with Polk. I know its a big step, but we are trending up over his tenure.

Nearly on par with Polk? That's got to be the stupidest thing I've read. IF, being the operative word, he comes home with the NCAA Baseball Championship from Omaha he not only surpasses Polk, but every other coach that has EVER coached in ANY sport at MSU.

RougeDawg
06-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Ron, is that you? I see you've upgraded from that old typewriter.

Homedawg
06-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Nearly on par with Polk? That's got to be the stupidest thing I've read. IF, being the operative word, he comes home with the NCAA Baseball Championship from Omaha he not only surpasses Polk, but every other coach that has EVER coached in ANY sport at MSU.

Hold on, we have a chance to win the national title? Just Friday before we played a game, you said, paraphrasing, the regional might as well be over! This was because of starting Dakota. Glad I decided to still attend and see you are back on the wagon!

msbulldog
06-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Ron, is that you? I see you've upgraded from that old typewriter.

Now that' funny. Cohen brings home our first Natty ever and it should be Cohen/Dement stadium!

Commercecomet24
06-08-2016, 12:48 PM

THIS^^^^^times infinity!

Tbonewannabe
06-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Cohen has already played for more National Titles than Ron. A few more trips to Omaha and he surpasses him in every way. Ron also had several advantages where Cohen is fighting up hill.

SaintDawg
06-08-2016, 01:24 PM
3rd time's the charm

mparkerfd20
06-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Hold on, we have a chance to win the national title? Just Friday before we played a game, you said, paraphrasing, the regional might as well be over! This was because of starting Dakota. Glad I decided to still attend and see you are back on the wagon!

Way to take part of my statement out of context. Guess you missed the follow up message where I said, "For those that don't know me, I am being a bit facetious. I don't think it matters who we pitch our bats have to be lively. I still think we 'should' win the regional or we aren't the team I think we are." Hindsight is always 20/20. Glad I was proven wrong and Hudson was a complete non-factor in the regional.

I've never been off the bandwagon and think this is as good of shot as we've ever had at winning the whole darn thing.

Homedawg
06-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Way to take part of my statement out of context. Guess you missed the follow up message where I said, "For those that don't know me, I am being a bit facetious. I don't think it matters who we pitch our bats have to be lively. I still think we 'should' win the regional or we aren't the team I think we are." Hindsight is always 20/20. Glad I was proven wrong and Hudson was a complete non-factor in the regional.

I've never been off the bandwagon and think this is as good of shot as we've ever had at winning the whole darn thing.

Take part of your statement of of context? At the time, pre game, you and wmd were raising hell about how awful the decision was to start Hudson. You said, "horrible decision, probably cost us the regional." I said, " why don't I go home then. Regional is over!" Which you followed with "might as well". So either your memory sucks, you are changing your stance after the fact that we were going to lose, or you just don't like being called out for making such an asinine statement......
Eta, no I didn't see your follow up, I quit reading because the two of you were being completely idiotic.

maroonmania
06-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Cohen has already played for more National Titles than Ron. A few more trips to Omaha and he surpasses him in every way. Ron also had several advantages where Cohen is fighting up hill.

You make a good point with your ending statement. I would submit that's its more competitive and more difficult now just to reach the championship round like we did in 2013 than it was to have actually won the national championship in the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s when Polk had the program at its peak under him. Polk obviously never won or even played for a NC though I will say we did have some horrible luck in the '85 trip to Omaha. Not only did we lose the 3rd game against Texas where ace pitcher Gene Morgan got his ankle taken out by a line drive, but many don't remember that the inning before the 9th where Bobby Thigpen was called on to save the Miami game, he was fielding a ball in the outfield that hit the right field wall, bounced off, and drilled him square in the head. Thigpen threw the ball in but then immediately collapsed back onto the turf with what had to be a concussion of sorts. Not sure how he even stayed in the game but next inning he's in pitching and gives up the 2 run home run that eliminates us. Somehow I doubt he can really remember any of it after taking a baseball to the head the inning before.

AlmostPositive
06-08-2016, 03:47 PM
A forty million dollar upgrade to DN ought to level out recruiting at a top ten (preferably the top half of the top ten) level at least until the usual suspects catch up.

Taog Redloh
06-08-2016, 06:09 PM
We also need to encourage Raffy, and all the current minor/major leaguers, to come back and get involved in and around Starkville. I don't want them f*cking with the program because that should be Cohen's and anyone else would just cause trouble, but it'd be awesome to see them all around the area. Kinda like how all those Miami football players live in Miami in the offseason and workout at the University.

It would be an influx of money AND help recrootin.

Todd4State
06-08-2016, 08:06 PM
You make a good point with your ending statement. I would submit that's its more competitive and more difficult now just to reach the championship round like we did in 2013 than it was to have actually won the national championship in the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s when Polk had the program at its peak under him. Polk obviously never won or even played for a NC though I will say we did have some horrible luck in the '85 trip to Omaha. Not only did we lose the 3rd game against Texas where ace pitcher Gene Morgan got his ankle taken out by a line drive, but many don't remember that the inning before the 9th where Bobby Thigpen was called on to save the Miami game, he was fielding a ball in the outfield that hit the right field wall, bounced off, and drilled him square in the head. Thigpen threw the ball in but then immediately collapsed back onto the turf with what had to be a concussion of sorts. Not sure how he even stayed in the game but next inning he's in pitching and gives up the 2 run home run that eliminates us. Somehow I doubt he can really remember any of it after taking a baseball to the head the inning before.

I think the fact that the SEC is better now gives us a better chance to win a NC in that to be what we all want to be as a baseball program you have to have a NC caliber club to do that. In the 80's we were more dominant in the SEC than we are now but at the same time I think we are better overall as a program right now than we were in the 80's too.

In the 80's and even the 90's if you had two really good starting pitchers and a good closer you had a really good team and a chance to win the SEC. Now you have to have some MLB elite talent like a Hudson or an elite bullpen like we had with Ross, Girodo, and Holder plus you have to have elite hitters like we have right now as well. The other teams in the SEC have caused the rest of the traditional powers like us and LSU to step it up. LSU isn't as dominant in the SEC right now as they were in the 90's for the same reason even though they are just as much of a NC contender.

Heck, now even Kentucky is trying to upgrade their baseball program and Alabama is trying to get themselves up as well as we can see by how much money they have invested in their ballpark and they are trying to get a high end coach as well.

But because the SEC is so good now when we go to a regional and we face the competition we did it's not even close to what we are used to facing on a SEC weekend. Playing Cal State Fullerton was basically like us playing Alabama this year. And they're a powerhouse program.

Todd4State
06-08-2016, 08:09 PM
We also need to encourage Raffy, and all the current minor/major leaguers, to come back and get involved in and around Starkville. I don't want them f*cking with the program because that should be Cohen's and anyone else would just cause trouble, but it'd be awesome to see them all around the area. Kinda like how all those Miami football players live in Miami in the offseason and workout at the University.

It would be an influx of money AND help recrootin.

That would be good because we do have some pretty influential baseball alumni- Clark, Brantley, Thigpen, Showalter, and Palmeiro as you said. And some of them live or are near some pretty key recruiting areas like California (Clark) and Texas (Palmeiro). Thigpen is a MLB pitching coach basically- if some recruit hears from him about how he should go play for Wes Johnson that's going to carry some weight.

And on that note- I think we're going to show out as a program this weekend. We're going to have huge crowds and it's in a pretty good time slot.

Intramural All-American
06-08-2016, 10:40 PM
This is from the State vs ole miss game 2 thread for those who forgot. Just proving that Coach 34 is terrible.

I give you credit for admitting that. You ready to back off your statement to me from three weeks ago that Cohen should be fired regardless of how this year ends?

Nope.

Just label me like an LSU fan on Les Miles

SPMT
06-08-2016, 10:55 PM
If he wins a natty then he passes Polk. Period.

Absolutely! If any of the big 3 bring home a natty, they are immediately the best ever at MSU!

Coach34
06-08-2016, 11:21 PM
This is from the State vs ole miss game 2 thread for those who forgot. Just proving that Coach 34 is terrible.

Oh I still think he is the baseball version of Les Miles. But he is our Les Miles. He will keep us in the national conversation most years- and like Miles in 2016- he will contend for a NC. Miles is the winningest coach in LSU history- so thats not a slight at Cohen.

Intramural All-American
06-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Oh I still think he is the baseball version of Les Miles. But he is our Les Miles. He will keep us in the national conversation most years- and like Miles in 2016- he will contend for a NC. Miles is the winningest coach in LSU history- so thats not a slight at Cohen.

So you still want him fired? Or are you gonna backtrack on your statement since you were wrong about him and thought there was no chance we would be where we are? You literally said in that post that you wanted him fired no matter how the season ended.