PDA

View Full Version : Run through or slide into first

Pinto
06-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Sport Science answers the question.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=16024147&ex_cid=espnfb

Commercecomet24
06-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Those sport science clips are pretty cool. I remember the one they did with Fred Ross and the td against upig. Good stuff. Run through!

scottycameron
06-07-2016, 08:35 PM
The ultimate Germans.

BoomBoom
06-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Sport Science answers the question.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=16024147&ex_cid=espnfb

ugh, not this again. Sports "science". notice how his dive is actually ahead of the run thru right up until the last second. dive later, genius. they should have had him vary his slides, run plenty of times, and see the distribution of the times. or at least the fastest one.

the runner is also a terrible diver. he runs straight up, and every dive involves him throwing his hands back (with a bit of the body) prior to going forward. a better diver runs in a forward tilt, and lets natural momentum drive the dive, not with a backwards hitch first.

you should never slide into first, because you have to dive perfect or at least really well to make it faster, even when you do that it barely makes a difference, but it significantly increases the chance of injury. but when done right, it IS faster.

scottycameron
06-07-2016, 08:44 PM
ugh, not this again. Sports "science". notice how his dive is actually ahead of the run thru right up until the last second. dive later, genius. they should have had him vary his slides, run plenty of times, and see the distribution of the times. or at least the fastest one.

the runner is also a terrible diver. he runs straight up, and every dive involves him throwing his hands back (with a bit of the body) prior to going forward. a better diver runs in a forward tilt, and lets natural momentum drive the dive, not with a backwards hitch first.

you should never slide into first, because you have to dive perfect or at least really well to make it faster, even when you do that it barely makes a difference, but it significantly increases the chance of injury. but when done right, it IS faster.

So basically you are saying that sprinters in the Olympics could dive and cross the line first? I doubt I agree but I very much hope this is true. I would so much love to see the sprinters all dive on their stomachs at the finish line. It would renew my interest in the Olympics. Please let this be not just sport, but sport SCIENCE.

SaintDawg
06-07-2016, 08:53 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/517/111/fbd.jpg

BoomBoom
06-07-2016, 08:59 PM
So basically you are saying that sprinters in the Olympics could dive and cross the line first? I doubt I agree but I very much hope this is true. I would so much love to see the sprinters all dive on their stomachs at the finish line. It would renew my interest in the Olympics. Please let this be not just sport, but sport SCIENCE.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diving+at+finish+line+olympic+runners&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMs9CcqpfNAhUnzoMKHdHUCIUQ_AUIBygC

smootness
06-07-2016, 09:51 PM

Thank you. This is common sense. If you can continue driving with your feet while beginning to lean forward, then you dive forward at the last minute, if you time it right, it will absolutely be faster.