PDA

View Full Version : Copa America: USA vs Costa Rica Thread

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 06:36 PM
The US kicks off match two in group play in about 30 minutes. You're US starting 11:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkYj-_6WgAA3i_p.jpg:large

smootness
06-07-2016, 06:39 PM
It's time to just start Nagbe and Pulisic and see what happens.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 08:14 PM
It's time to just start Nagbe and Pulisic and see what happens.

Totally agree. That said, Klinsmann's lineup killing it so far tonight. US leads 3-0 after the first half. Dempsey (penalty), Jermaine Jones, and Wood all scored.

Thought I was going to be around to live update the whole game, but it didn't happen. Back in front of the TV now.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 08:28 PM
US basically playing D so far in the second half. Starting to get a little chippy. No sign of Nagbe and/or Pulisic nearly 65 minutes in. If we're going to keep starting the old guys, can we at least take a couple out early and rest them when we have a huge lead? :mad:

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Zusi subs in, Wood goes out. Somewhere around the 70 minute mark. US still leads 3-0 at the 75 minute mark. Just missed a chance to make it 4-0. Bedoya tried to make an extra pass instead of draining an open shot.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Wondolowski on, Dempsey off. 77th minute. Where the hell is Pulisic and Nagbe? Now only one at most can sub in tonight.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 08:52 PM
GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! Graham Zusi, 87th minute. 4-0 US

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 08:54 PM
BTW, Kyle Beckerman was the 3rd and final sub for the US. Forgot to post it earlier. Too busy tweeting and ripping Klinsmann for his horrible use of subs tonight.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Full Time: US 4 - 0 Costa Rica

Next up: Paraguay on Saturday. Hope like hell we can advance out of group play.

Corn Bread
06-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Full Time: US 4 - 0 Costa Rica

Next up: Paraguay on Saturday. Hope like hell we can advance out of group play.

First off, my oldest plays varsity and travel soccer. Youngest plays jr varsity. Both girls. Why is Copa being shoved up our ass this summer? Not that I cannot stand it, but a little much.

DudyDawg
06-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Nagbe needs to start over Bedoya every day, pulisic needs to be first off the bench. Kyle Beckerman shouldn't even be able to smell the grass he should be so far from the field. Yes, we want to try to win (okay, compete) this tournament and yes the experienced guys help that. But at the end of the day this is a smaller tournament in preparation for Russia 2018. We need to be playing young guys and getting experience and familiarity between a young core. Not running Chris Womdolowski out there

Bubb Rubb
06-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Nagbe needs to start over Bedoya every day, pulisic needs to be first off the bench. Kyle Beckerman shouldn't even be able to smell the grass he should be so far from the field. Yes, we want to try to win (okay, compete) this tournament and yes the experienced guys help that. But at the end of the day this is a smaller tournament in preparation for Russia 2018. We need to be playing young guys and getting experience and familiarity between a young core. Not running Chris Womdolowski out there

Klinsmann is fighting for his job. Kinda hard to do that and go with the young guys at the same time. Not excusing it....it is what it is.

DudyDawg
06-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Klinsmann is fighting for his job. Kinda hard to do that and go with the young guys at the same time. Not excusing it....it is what it is.

Yep, and the hot seat is because of what's he's done since 2014 other than the Germany and Netherlands friendly wins. Continuing with the old guard. Continuing to disappoint. I almost want us out in the group stage so JK gets fired.

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2016, 08:35 AM
First off, my oldest plays varsity and travel soccer. Youngest plays jr varsity. Both girls. Why is Copa being shoved up our ass this summer? Not that I cannot stand it, but a little much.

1) Because the US is in it - we are not always invited (last time was '07)
2) We are hosting for the first time.
3) There are talks about merging the CONCACAF and Copa - which I think would be great. http://nesn.com/2016/06/copa-america-in-usa-to-stay-officials-consider-merger-with-gold-cup/

Corn Bread
06-08-2016, 08:53 AM
1) Because the US is in it - we are not always invited (last time was '07)
2) We are hosting for the first time.
3) There are talks about merging the CONCACAF and Copa - which I think would be great. http://nesn.com/2016/06/copa-america-in-usa-to-stay-officials-consider-merger-with-gold-cup/

Ok, makes sense now. Not up on soccer, just write checks for it. Thank you for the info.

jumbo
06-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Great game all around outside of the first few minutes. I know CR is a weaker club but it was good to bounce back with a dominating performance.

Not sure how bad Bedoya's injury is but hopefully we'll get Nagbe in the starting XI on Saturday. Paraguay showed some fight against Colombia but all we need is a draw to advance.

War Machine Dawg
06-08-2016, 03:12 PM

Yep, and the hot seat is because of what's he's done since 2014 other than the Germany and Netherlands friendly wins. Continuing with the old guard. Continuing to disappoint. I almost want us out in the group stage so JK gets fired.

The worst part of it is he'd actually catch less heat and probably get better results if he'd go all in with the young guys. Dempsey, Zardes, and Bradley is plenty of experience on the pitch at one time. And I don't really consider Zardes part of the old guard. I don't even think he played in the last World Cup or played very little if he did. Hell, I can even stomach Jermaine Jones, although I'd prefer he be a late defensive mid sub in games where we're trying to protect a lead.

Dudy mentioned the Germany and Netherlands wins - the funny part about that is it was our "B" team, the young guys, who pulled off those major victories. Bobby Wood & Jordan Morris were a huge part of those victories. And Klinsmann didn't even select Morris for the Copa roster.

Last night was a perfect example of why I think Klinsmann basically sucks. It's not just the bad losses, although they're enough on their own. It's that you run out the same group of old guys in every big game. Again, he's fighting for his job, so I can understand that. But then we get up 3-0 in a major tourney. Perfect opportunity to sub in 3 young guys for extended playing time and let them develop in an actual competitive match. Instead, he blows it and subs in 3 of the oldest dudes on the bench. I get that you don't want to concede any goals in case goal differential comes into play, but you can't be such a chickenshit in that situation. Have some guts and trust your young guys to be hungry enough to go out there and get it done.

Talent trumps experience every time. The elite clubs that we're trying to chase down and be competitive against aren't old. I remember one of the talking heads a couple of weeks ago talking about the WC semi-finalist teams having an average age of something like 24. And that certainly seems to be the case. The core of Germany's squad is in that 23-26 range. Ditto Spain, France, Brazil, and Colombia. Put the young guys out there and see what happens.

LiterallyPolice
06-08-2016, 04:00 PM
The worst part of it is he'd actually catch less heat and probably get better results if he'd go all in with the young guys. Dempsey, Zardes, and Bradley is plenty of experience on the pitch at one time. And I don't really consider Zardes part of the old guard. I don't even think he played in the last World Cup or played very little if he did. Hell, I can even stomach Jermaine Jones, although I'd prefer he be a late defensive mid sub in games where we're trying to protect a lead.

Dudy mentioned the Germany and Netherlands wins - the funny part about that is it was our "B" team, the young guys, who pulled off those major victories. Bobby Wood & Jordan Morris were a huge part of those victories. And Klinsmann didn't even select Morris for the Copa roster.

Last night was a perfect example of why I think Klinsmann basically sucks. It's not just the bad losses, although they're enough on their own. It's that you run out the same group of old guys in every big game. Again, he's fighting for his job, so I can understand that. But then we get up 3-0 in a major tourney. Perfect opportunity to sub in 3 young guys for extended playing time and let them develop in an actual competitive match. Instead, he blows it and subs in 3 of the oldest dudes on the bench. I get that you don't want to concede any goals in case goal differential comes into play, but you can't be such a chickenshit in that situation. Have some guts and trust your young guys to be hungry enough to go out there and get it done.

Talent trumps experience every time. The elite clubs that we're trying to chase down and be competitive against aren't old. I remember one of the talking heads a couple of weeks ago talking about the WC semi-finalist teams having an average age of something like 24. And that certainly seems to be the case. The core of Germany's squad is in that 23-26 range. Ditto Spain, France, Brazil, and Colombia. Put the young guys out there and see what happens.

OK... a few things:

1.) The Copa America is NOT the time for developing young players. This is a major tournament. Soccer is more than the World Cup every 4 yrs.
2.) Goal Differential matters ALOT in these first 3 games. Just because we are up 3-0 doesn't mean we should let our foot off the gas.
3.) I would temper my expectations of Dagbe and Pulisic. US Soccer has had a series of "Next Big Things" to pretty much flop. Bottom line, neither of these guys are going to all of a sudden make us a World Cup contender.
4.) Jermaine Jones can be frustrating, like pretty much all of our players, but make no mistake: he is one of our best players even as he is getting older.