PDA

View Full Version : MS Gulf Coast Shrimp and Fish Prices

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately I can't make the regional due to a family engagement on the MS gulf coast. Since I'm going anyway, I'm planning on loading up on fresh shrimp and fish from down that way.

What's a good price per pound on shrimp? Any recommendations on places to shop? I'll be around Bay St. Louis if that helps.

What species of fish is in season now? Good prices on those?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Johnson85
06-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately I can't make the regional due to a family engagement on the MS gulf coast. Since I'm going anyway, I'm planning on loading up on fresh shrimp and fish from down that way.

What's a good price per pound on shrimp? Any recommendations on places to shop? I'll be around Bay St. Louis if that helps.

What species of fish is in season now? Good prices on those?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I think the MS shrimp season literally just opened a day or two ago, so prices are still probably a little high, not sure what a good price would be right now though. I'd call Desportes and Quality and ask them for prices for whatever count shrimp you want, or just ask them what counts they have and what the price per pound is. May also need to confirm heads on but I think they will be. Doubt you'll want to drive all the way to biloxi to buy, but that will at least give you an indication of market. Only place I know to go close to Bay st. louis is to go to the pass christian harbor and buy some off one of the boats there. Need to be there early and be sure to get prices from desportes or quality so you know what a decent price is. Then just walk from boat to boat asking for prices and then go with the cheapest one. Also see if they will quote an adder to dehead the shrimp. It's worth it if you plan on cooking them any way other than boiled. And even boiled, I know some people that want them boiled heads off.

SpeckleDawg
06-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Shrimp season just opened in MS yesterday. As said, prices will still be pretty high and shrimp pretty small for a while. I have always bought mine from the Pass harbor. My best purchases have always come from the West (old) side of the harbor. Turn at the light right next to the gas station, heading towards the yacht club and go down to the first pier that isn't gated. Walk out there with a cooler and ask anyone you see on a boat. I have never purchased fish, but there's a few markets on the new (East) side of the harbor. They will be at the far East end of the harbor and you should see some signs. Let us know what kind of prices/size you get on shrimp if you make it over there.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll go check out the Pass Harbor and see what they have to offer.

Johnson 85, what time do I need to be there to be "early"?

I'll report back with my findings next week after I return.

BeastMan
06-07-2016, 03:00 PM
I usually get my shrimp from a white van in the parking lot of Rouse's in Diamonhead but that's because that where our place is. If I'm buying fish, which means something exotic, I'm going to the Pass Harbor

SpeckleDawg
06-07-2016, 03:03 PM
I usually get my shrimp from a white van in the parking lot

I actually do this all the time from a lady in Long Beach if I'm just getting 2-3 lbs for dinner.

Johnson85
06-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll go check out the Pass Harbor and see what they have to offer.

Johnson 85, what time do I need to be there to be "early"?

I'll report back with my findings next week after I return.

Not sure about the Pass. In the Biloxi small craft harbor, I'd say you need to be there before 9 and ideally closer to 8:15 to 8:30. AFter that, you run the risk of nobody having any. But I've gotten some there as late as 10; it really just depends on who came in that morning, how much they caught, and how many other people have the same idea. I've only bought from the Pass once but I assume it's sort of on the same time schedule.

Uncle Ruckus
06-07-2016, 09:07 PM
White van in bsl on the east bound side not far after you turn into 90 from 603. She's always there and has good prices and good shrimp. Without fooling with going down to the pass harbor I usually make an order ahead of time with Claiborne Hill and they will get you good prices on shrimp, oysters, crawfish, fish, any kind of seafood you want and as fresh as it gets

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-08-2016, 09:38 AM
White van in bsl on the east bound side not far after you turn into 90 from 603. She's always there and has good prices and good shrimp. Without fooling with going down to the pass harbor I usually make an order ahead of time with Claiborne Hill and they will get you good prices on shrimp, oysters, crawfish, fish, any kind of seafood you want and as fresh as it gets

I googled and found a grocery store named Claiborne Hill...is that the one you are talking about?

Uncle Ruckus
06-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Yes it is. It's on the corner of 90 and 603, it's only a few years old but it's great. I just snapped a pic of the shrimp lady on 90 for you. She's across from McDonald's.
http://i63.tinypic.com/t4toj8.jpg

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Yes it is. It's on the corner of 90 and 603, it's only a few years old but it's great. I just snapped a pic of the shrimp lady on 90 for you. She's across from McDonald's.
http://i63.tinypic.com/t4toj8.jpg

I can't see the pic, but thanks for the info. I'll be down there Friday morning through the weekend and will probably ride around to check out a couple of the spots mentioned.

Uncle Ruckus
06-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Maybe I don't know how to properly post pics, but it's a white van with a rainbow flag umbrella out the back of it

SpeckleDawg
06-08-2016, 02:56 PM
+1 on Claiborne Hill. Where else can you get a plate lunch, cooler of fresh shrimp, fishing gear and get a growler filled all at the same place?