PDA

View Full Version : After looking over Arizona's stats...

smootness
06-07-2016, 09:03 AM
I really like our chances this weekend. I know it's just stats and they don't tell the whole story, but none of their primary pitchers is even within 10 K of their IP. They also don't walk many, but I like that - we should be seeing plenty of good pitches to hit in the zone.

And while they have a good team BA (.291), they don't hit many HR. So it looks like a solid team that throws strikes without great stuff and hits the ball pretty well without much pop. I'll take that all day.

Commercecomet24
06-07-2016, 09:13 AM
That and those stats were compiled against very mediocre competition. I like our chances of getting to Omaha. These kids we have do whatever it takes to win.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I agree Smoot. My only concern is that they bunt...a lot. Our pitchers, Collins, & Lowe have got to be good defending the bunt against them. I have a feeling after watching a few minutes of film on us, Zona's coach will be calling a lot of bunts.

Jarius
06-07-2016, 09:20 AM
It's really not that hard to field bunts. That's something that can be improved upon by working on it. I know that we have had problems fielding bunts, but for some reason it really doesn't concern me that much going forward. I think they were fluke mistakes more than anything.

HSVDawg
06-07-2016, 09:23 AM
By no means am I afraid of them, but still would have rather played ULL. Despite the seeding, I think Arizona is a considerable step up from them and they proved it this weekend.

maroonmania
06-07-2016, 09:26 AM
By no means am I afraid of them, but still would have rather played ULL. Despite the seeding, I think Arizona is a considerable step up from them and they proved it this weekend.

I was surprised at how well they held down Lafayette's offense in the championship round. They had to be at the tail end of their pitching rotation and still won 6-3 and 3-1 playing their 4th and 5th games of the regional. That's pretty impressive.

smootness
06-07-2016, 09:28 AM
I think ULL and Arizona are pretty even and just a slight step up from a team like CSF.

ULL still outscored Arizona in their 3 games, 14-12.

The one thing Arizona seems to be able to do pretty well is keep the other team from blowing up offensively. Before the game they lost to ULL, they hadn't given up more than 5 runs in a game in over a month.

And they hadn't given up double digits since their 6th game of the year.

monroedawg5646
06-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Their HR numbers are low because Hi Corbett Field is a freaking pasture.

DogsofAnarchy
06-07-2016, 09:31 AM
That and those stats were compiled against very mediocre competition. I like our chances of getting to Omaha. These kids we have do whatever it takes to win.

to a lot of mediocre teams during the season. We lost to some teams that didn't even sniff a regional. We were just talented enough to win most of the series. So remember, you have to WIN first then shoot our mouths off!!

smootness
06-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Their HR numbers are low because Hi Corbett Field is a freaking pasture.

True, but that also means their pitching numbers are artificially good, too, then. Without a lot of K's, in smaller parks, they'd be giving up more HR as well, you would think.

Irondawg
06-07-2016, 09:36 AM
The good news is that we aren't reliant on our offense either. We're perfectly capable of winning a lot of 4-2 game. Just need Hudson and Sexton to bring it and we'll be fine

MarketingBully
06-07-2016, 09:37 AM
CSF is a better pitching team then Arizona and is a better team then Arizona. They were swept against Utah and went 1-2 against Oregon. They are okay but I much rather play them then ULL. They had won quite a few in a row but didn't play anyone worth a crap to end the season. Their ace has pitched 190 pitches in two stints over the weekend so it is possible he won't start on Friday. This is like the SEMO ace this past week. If we play like we did this weekend, we go 2-0 and are going to Omaha. I'm excited about this weekend!

msudawglb
06-07-2016, 09:42 AM
I was surprised at how well they held down Lafayette's offense in the championship round. They had to be at the tail end of their pitching rotation and still won 6-3 and 3-1 playing their 4th and 5th games of the regional. That's pretty impressive.

Arizona pretty much relies on 2 pitchers.

They pitched Nathan Bannister on Friday (threw 96 pitches) and then threw him again the first game on Monday (threw 102 pitches). Then they have a set up/save guy, Kevin Ginkel, who they used 3 times on Sunday and Monday. After being used twice Sunday and Monday morning, he actually started the 2nd game on Monday and threw 5.1 innings.

They will probably go with Bannister on Friday and then Ginkel on Sunday if it happens.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-07-2016, 09:42 AM
to a lot of mediocre teams during the season. We lost to some teams that didn't even sniff a regional. We were just talented enough to win most of the series. So remember, you have to WIN first then shoot our mouths off!!

That was early...We have gotten MUCH better since then. IF Houston and Sexton keep it up and Hudson finds his stride again...We will be extremely dangerous.

MarketingBully
06-07-2016, 09:43 AM

The only one I can think of that sucked ass was Eastern Kentucky at home. And that was a game we dominated except our bullpen gave it away and we had made some questionable substitutions late because we had several 6 run leads and thought we won the game. All the other losses were to tournament teams (FAU, ORU). We have been pretty consistent the whole year. As much as our fans try their best to make shit up, facts don't back our fans up.

Commercecomet24
06-07-2016, 09:45 AM

Not shooting my mouth off. Just telling what I've seen watching west coast baseball this year. Our losing to mediocre teams was not against our frontline pitching. Can Arizona beat us? Sure they can cuz it's baseball but based upon what I've seen this year from them we don't lose. That's my opinion.

Commercecomet24
06-07-2016, 09:49 AM
The only one I can think of that sucked ass was Eastern Kentucky at home. And that was a game we dominated except our bullpen gave it away and we had made some questionable substitutions late because we had several 6 run leads and thought we won the game. All the other losses were to tournament teams (FAU, ORU). We have been pretty consistent the whole year. As much as our fans try their best to make shit up, facts don't back our fans up.

THIS^^^^^! And some of us seem to be scared of everyone we play. Hell the teams we play should be terrified of us. The team we have is badass!

MarketingBully
06-07-2016, 09:50 AM
And another thing. Who gives a shit what fans say? This team wants to win a national championship and didn't even celebrate when we won our regional. It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't celebrate when we win this weekend. As much as everyone wants to think their superstition as fans makes a difference, it doesn't. What matters is our players and coaching staff locked in? If that answer is yes, it doesn't matter what you or I say we will win.

Steakonastick
06-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Their ball park makes dudy noble look like ketuckys field.

366 LF
410 LC
392 CF
405 RC
349 RF

They remind me of early Cohen teams during the dead ball. Very athletic team that can run and plays small ball

MarketingBully
06-07-2016, 09:53 AM
I agree Smoot. My only concern is that they bunt...a lot. Our pitchers, Collins, & Lowe have got to be good defending the bunt against them. I have a feeling after watching a few minutes of film on us, Zona's coach will be calling a lot of bunts.

CSF did the same thing and was better at it. I think the scores this weekend will be something like 6-2 us and 4-1 us and we will make it to Omaha with a 2-0 weekend.

Commercecomet24
06-07-2016, 09:56 AM
We could come out and lay a big turd, but just don't see that happening. This team seems focused and locked in. They just seem to make all the plays when they have to made. Just take collins for example. Couple of bad errors early against csf but then comes back and makes 2 big plays including the one that cut off the tying run at the plate. It's a championship mind set. When it's nut cutting time we make the plays.

maroonmania
06-07-2016, 10:22 AM

366 LF
410 LC
392 CF
405 RC
349 RF

They remind me of early Cohen teams during the dead ball. Very athletic team that can run and plays small ball

Good grief, that's almost like the old Polo Grounds.

smootness
06-07-2016, 10:31 AM

The thing that has always fascinated me about the Polo Grounds is how ridiculously short it was down the lines.

Hit a pop fly down the RF line...HR. Destroy a pitch into the RC gap...out.

monroedawg5646
06-07-2016, 10:41 AM
The bottom line is this. If we play the way we are capable of then there is nothing Arizona can do about the 2 ass kickings they are about to receive.

Homedawg
06-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Yes bigger, but the ball flies much better there than here. Much lighter air. Sorry, I'm referring to arizona's field, not the polo grounds!

HSVDawg
06-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Arizona pretty much relies on 2 pitchers.

They pitched Nathan Bannister on Friday (threw 96 pitches) and then threw him again the first game on Monday (threw 102 pitches). Then they have a set up/save guy, Kevin Ginkel, who they used 3 times on Sunday and Monday. After being used twice Sunday and Monday morning, he actually started the 2nd game on Monday and threw 5.1 innings.

They will probably go with Bannister on Friday and then Ginkel on Sunday if it happens.

Is this for real? They threw their Friday night guy on 2 days rest after he threw 90+ pitches, then allowed him to go over 100 pitches in the 2nd outing? That is Bertman-esque.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Is this for real? They threw their Friday night guy on 2 days rest after he threw 90+ pitches, then allowed him to go over 100 pitches in the 2nd outing? That is Bertman-esque.

Yep. If he starts Friday it will be his 3rd start in 8 days, with 198 pitches over this past weekend. Unreal

Brando
06-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Yep. If he starts Friday it will be his 3rd start in 8 days, with 198 pitches over this past weekend. Unreal

Im really suprised the kid has anything left....

Jack Lambert
06-07-2016, 01:27 PM

366 LF
410 LC
392 CF
405 RC
349 RF

You beat small ball by going long ball. We need to just knock the shit out of the ball and score runs.

maroonmania
06-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Im really suprised the kid has anything left....

Should be interesting to see how he holds up in 95 degree heat after already having pitched that much.

HSVDawg
06-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Wow. Deeper to the alleys than dead center? Bet that balpark takes some getting used to for outfielders.

smootness
06-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Wow. Deeper to the alleys than dead center? Bet that balpark takes some getting used to for outfielders.

It's because the wall is just straight across in CF. It's not like the wall juts in, but without the curve in CF, it's technically closer to home plate than the corners in the gap.

starkvegasdawg
06-07-2016, 01:53 PM

Arm is going to be held on with bailing wire and duct tape. If he goes Friday he may try to throw the ball and the catcher wind up with his arm in the mitt.

civildawg
06-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Arm is going to be held on with bailing wire and duct tape. If he goes Friday he may try to throw the ball and the catcher wind up with his arm in the mitt.

I dont see this as that big of a deal. Heck MLB pitchers usually only get 4 days rest between games and it's not like the arizona picture is 40, he is 20.

I also see ALOT of confident fans and rightfully so, but we could go in a little bit of a slump and Arizona could have a couple of great pitching performances and we could be sitting at home next week. Let's not count the chickens before they hatch.

smootness
06-07-2016, 02:04 PM
I dont see this as that big of a deal. Heck MLB pitchers usually only get 4 days rest between games and it's not like the arizona picture is 40, he is 20.

I also see ALOT of confident fans and rightfully so, but we could go in a little bit of a slump and Arizona could have a couple of great pitching performances and we could be sitting at home next week. Let's not count the chickens before they hatch.

Everyone knows this is possible. But we also think we have a really good shot at being in Omaha...because we do.

starkvegasdawg
06-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Regardless of age, that is a lot of pitches on an arm in that period of time. A MLB pitcher would still be three days away from his next start in that 8 day span. Average age of a starting pitcher in MLB is around 29...so not that much older than the 20 year olds pitching this weekend. Now I know pitchers throw side sessions in between starts but it is still not near the stress level on the joints as live pitching is. If he starts the Friday game I would think it would be at risk of injury for him. I also don't see how he could go deep in the game unless we do a lot of early pitch swinging.

Brando
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Should be interesting to see how he holds up in 95 degree heat after already having pitched that much.

I believe he will be really really good running on adreneline or he will come flat as hell. Either way, we need to make him work. Lay off the pitchers pitch. I bet my VCash on it that they watched film and saw we couldnt lay off the off speed stuff in the dirt. We gotta be more patient and then when he makes a mistake, send it to the heavens....(out of the park, not how Collins usually sends it to the heavens and drops on the infield, haha)

Homedawg
06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
I believe he will be really really good running on adreneline or he will come flat as hell. Either way, we need to make him work. Lay off the pitchers pitch. I bet my VCash on it that they watched film and saw we couldnt lay off the off speed stuff in the dirt. We gotta be more patient and then when he makes a mistake, send it to the heavens....(out of the park, not how Collins usually sends it to the heavens and drops on the infield, haha)

We have the second FEWEST strikeouts offensively in the league, behind lsu, so I'd say, for the most part, we do a good job laying off pitches!
Eta, it sounds so easy, lay off the bad ones and hit the good ones to the moon. Easier said than done when the other guy is throwing 90ish w a breaking pitch and or third pitch to boot!

starkvegasdawg
06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
I recommend this approach at the plate:

http://i.imgur.com/CeZjz9H.gif

Commercecomet24
06-07-2016, 03:33 PM
I don't call it counting chickens I call it confidence and if you can't have confidence in this team you probably won't ever have confidence in any team. Doesn't mean we can't lose just means we are extremely good!

Brando
06-07-2016, 04:08 PM
We have the second FEWEST strikeouts offensively in the league, behind lsu, so I'd say, for the most part, we do a good job laying off pitches!
Eta, it sounds so easy, lay off the bad ones and hit the good ones to the moon. Easier said than done when the other guy is throwing 90ish w a breaking pitch and or third pitch to boot!

I know this. I played plenty of ball all the way through college. Im not just talking about strikeouts. You swing at a bad pitch, you dont always strike out. Thats where most of your weak ground balls come from most of the time. But then again, look at Mangum. He has hit some balls for hits that I never thought in a million yrs would get out of the infield. So I guess you never know.

Beaver
06-07-2016, 04:43 PM
If Hudson brings his A-game the Bulldogs will be in Omaha. I kind of view this as just another average SEC 3 game series. And we won most of those. We're the better team hands down.