PDA

View Full Version : Name the 1st play vs OSU

PassInterference
08-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Swing pass to LDP. An easy throw to warm up Russell and I expect a lot of that early.

gravedigger
08-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Play action pass to the tight end or to Rojo right over the linebackers. Start under center.

BossDawg
08-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Go hard early...pop 'em in the mouth. Fly route with Morrow on one side and RJ on the other. Let Russell launch that bad boy like a damn Titan missile.

WeWillScrewItUp
08-21-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm going with a play action pass to the TE or I could see us throwing the long ball trying to get a quick 6.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Disagree with all of these - I want lead play right up the gut and for our offensive line get a push. Set the tone early that this won't be a ***** foot BIG 12 game. Make them understand that this will be an SEC football game from the outset. We need to punch them in mouth immediately and take them out of their comfort zone (which is playing flag football like Baylor, Texas Tech, K State, etc..). The quicker the better, we should send a someone to Stillwater tonight to punch them in the mouth, thats how quick I'm talking. This game has to be a physical nightmare for them if we are to win.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm going with a play action pass to the TE or I could see us throwing the long ball trying to get a quick 6.

Why would we want a quick 6? The goal is to play keep away and run time off the clock. I'd rather have a 15 play drive and score 6.

starkvegasdawg
08-21-2013, 06:25 PM
A sweep to Perkins to the left that gains three yards. Followed by a run to the right that gains two more. On 3rd and 5 Russell does a run/pass option to the left and after drawing the lb's in dumps it over their heads to the TE for a gain of 7 and a first down out to the 38 yard line.

CadaverDawg
08-21-2013, 06:28 PM
If it's a shotgun formation, hand off to Perkins up the middle for 1 yard, I might walk out.

Barking 13
08-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Disagree with all of these - I want lead play right up the gut and for our offensive line get a push. Set the tone early that this won't be a ***** foot BIG 12 game. Make them understand that this will be an SEC football game from the outset. We need to punch them in mouth immediately and take them out of their comfort zone (which is playing flag football like Baylor, Texas Tech, K State, etc..). The quicker the better, we should send a someone to Stillwater tonight to punch them in the mouth, thats how quick I'm talking. This game has to be a physical nightmare for them if we are to win.

THIS! give them a steady diet of LDP, then Josh, then Nick, then hit the TE..rinse and repeat.. get 6... Defense gets the immediate turnover, THEN hit Jameon across the middle for another 6.... my dream game..lol

Barking 13
08-21-2013, 06:30 PM
If it's a shotgun formation, hand off to Perkins up the middle for 1 yard, I might walk out.

cred points if it would have let me... apparently I give you too many...;)

Dawgtini
08-21-2013, 06:45 PM
The quicker the better, we should send a someone to Stillwater tonight to punch them in the mouth, thats how quick I'm talking. This game has to be a physical nightmare for them if we are to win.
I laughed. +1. Hit them and pound the ball down their throats. Hit the quick score when they finally get 10 in the box to slow us down.

msstate7
08-21-2013, 06:57 PM

I was thinking same play but -1. I'd love a screen pass to Perkins but doubt we get it

WeWillScrewItUp
08-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Why would we want a quick 6? The goal is to play keep away and run time off the clock. I'd rather have a 15 play drive and score 6.

I'm with you for every series except the first one. No better way to deflate a team then scoring on them the first play from scrimmage.

WeWonItAll(Most)
08-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Swing pass to Perk, Perk catches it and throws it as far as he can to a wide open receiver who is then run down around the OSU 5. Everyone in the stadium wonders what the hell just happened, and then the message boards proceed to get pissed as to why we didn't throw it to a faster receiver who could outrun the DB's.

If I were to continue this beyond the first play, I would say that we proceed to go three and out from the 5 and have to settle for a field goal. The message boards begin to meltdown, people begin to want Mullen's head on a stake, and the talk from last year continues.

gravedigger
08-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Remember, every play, should be a setup for the next. YOU WANT them to be playing for what they expect. I think they will expect us to try to establish the run first. So as a first play, I want them sucked up and caught off guard with a play that looks like run.

The next play can be a pass or run. Either way, if the first is a play action pass, they are having to guess on the second. If they stack the middle and stuff the run, we are second and long. Which means pass, which means they will be ready.

If we drop back and throw the long ball, we may hit it, which would be great, but we can miss a throw or our OT's could fail to block. Second and long again.

I am for the play action short pass because it allows us to make an easier throw and make them think about covering the throw on the next down. Then, based on their lb's presnap, run the read option from the shotgun.

bocfarm
08-21-2013, 07:16 PM
I'll be pleasantly surprised if its not a draw or counter up the middle with Perkins for no gain.

That said, I go play action to Malcolm in the middle of the field.

Coach34
08-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Under center- zone lead play with Perkins. We have a TE and H-back to the left and hit it up in there for 5 years. Then we play action and hit MoJo (provided he can play) under the Safety

dparker
08-21-2013, 07:41 PM

+1

TaleofTwoDogs
08-21-2013, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE= This game has to be a physical nightmare for them if we are to win.[/QUOTE]

But, but everybody knows that our big guys are in poor physical condition.

slickdawg
08-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Punt, so Chris Jones or Denico Autry can go eat their quarterback.

rdnkkicker
08-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Read option***

nemsdawg
08-22-2013, 06:16 AM
The "Matt Wyatt shotgun formation pooch punt"! Gets em every time.**

Under center, reverse out, hand to LP for a run behind Gabe Jackson. 2nd down and 8.
Better yet what, 2nd down and 8 play, will the second play be?

KennyPowers2
08-22-2013, 06:22 AM

I agree with you on all points. Playing the style if ball your talking about also puts time of possession in our favor. I feel like the key to beating OSU type team is keeping their offense on the bench as long as possible.

smootness
08-22-2013, 07:00 AM

I've never understood this. You want to score, period, on each of your possessions. THAT is the goal, not running time off the clock. What good does it do us if we have a 15-play drive to score, then they answer right back? You haven't accomplished anything. Your goal is to maximize your possessions and keep them from scoring as much as possible; it doesn't matter how much clock you run. They get just as many possessions as you, whether that's 10 and 10, or 5 and 5. Unless you truly believe they're just a much better team, you take a TD however you get it. Even if you do believe they're the better team, it doesn't really help you much to run clock, especially if you are calling plays with that in mind. Any goal other than, 'What is our best option to score on this drive?' is completely misguided.

FlabLoser
08-22-2013, 07:15 AM
The clock matters because if you eat 8 minutes of clock with your offense, that is 8 minutes that the other team couldn't score. When the other team is a high powered quick strike offense, they could score 3 TDs in 8 minutes of TOP. You've got to give the other team fewer possessions.

Completely misguided? I guess the whole football world is misguided.

smootness
08-22-2013, 08:06 AM
They could score 3 times within 8 minutes, sure. But if you score 3 times with your possessions, who cares?

Again, it's not about trying to stay on the field longer or 'keeping the opposing QB off the field'. It's about maximizing your possessions. It isn't make it-take it. They may score 3 times in 8 minutes, but we will also get 3 possessions in that timeframe. It isn't a bad thing if we score quickly. If we score 3 times and they score 3 times within 8 minutes, it's no different than if we score 3 times and they score 3 times in 40 minutes. Conversely, if we score 0 times and they score 3 times in 8 minutes, it's no different than if we score 0 times and they score 3 times in 40. The score will just be more embarrassing.

Once again, it's about maximizing your possessions and minimizing theirs. Scoring on the first play of a drive counts as maximizing that possession.

Why is it a bad thing to score quickly? That is what doesn't make sense. Obviously if you can't score, you should try to keep the ball all game if you can. But if you can't score, you probably can't hold onto the ball very long anyway.

Any time I hear a coach or player talk about trying to keep the other team off the field, it tells me they believe they have no legitimate shot to win the game.

Hypnodawg
08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
The clock matters because if you eat 8 minutes of clock with your offense, that is 8 minutes that the other team couldn't score. When the other team is a high powered quick strike offense, they could score 3 TDs in 8 minutes of TOP. You've got to give the other team fewer possessions.

Completely misguided? I guess the whole football world is misguided.

The math doesn't bear that out. What smootness said is correct. You only want to limit possessions if the other team is better than you. By keeping the number of possessions low, you can get into a statistically small number of samples whose mean does not represent the true mean, i.e. sample mean vs. true mean. If the number of samples (possessions) is large, then the sample mean will approach the true mean. If the true mean shows you loose, you limit possessions and hope for a set of outlier samples in your favor.

There are other reasons to use a run game, such as wear down the defense if they are poorly conditioned or don't have a deep roster, but that has nothing to do with limiting possessions.

FlabLoser
08-22-2013, 08:09 AM
They could score 3 times within 8 minutes, sure. But if you score 3 times with your possessions, who cares?

Again, it's not about trying to stay on the field longer or 'keeping the opposing QB off the field'. It's about maximizing your possessions. It isn't make it-take it. They may score 3 times in 8 minutes, but we will also get 3 possessions in that timeframe. It isn't a bad thing if we score quickly. If we score 3 times and they score 3 times within 8 minutes, it's no different than if we score 3 times and they score 3 times in 40 minutes. Conversely, if we score 0 times and they score 3 times in 8 minutes, it's no different than if we score 0 times and they score 3 times in 40. The score will just be more embarrassing.

Once again, it's about maximizing your possessions and minimizing theirs. Scoring on the first play of a drive counts as maximizing that possession.

Why is it a bad thing to score quickly? That is what doesn't make sense. Obviously if you can't score, you should try to keep the ball all game if you can. But if you can't score, you probably can't hold onto the ball very long anyway.

Any time I hear a coach or player talk about trying to keep the other team off the field, it tells me they believe they have no legitimate shot to win the game.

Our offense isn't built to strike quick. So another reason to limit their possessions is because we don't want a track meet with them.

FlabLoser
08-22-2013, 08:10 AM
The math doesn't bear that out. What smootness said is correct. You only want to limit possessions if the other team is better than you. By keeping the number of possessions low, you can get into a statistically small number of samples whose mean does not represent the true mean, i.e. sample mean vs. true mean. If the number of samples (possessions) is large, then the sample mean will approach the true mean. If the true mean shows you loose, you limit possessions and hope for a set of outlier samples in your favor.

There are other reasons to use a run game, such as wear down the defense if they are poorly conditioned or don't have a deep roster, but that has nothing to do with limiting possessions.

If football was strategerized with stats, teams would got for it every 4th down.

smootness
08-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Our offense isn't built to strike quick. So another reason to limit their possessions is because we don't want a track meet with them.

Again, though, this doesn't really make sense. We can do whatever we want with our possessions. If they score within 30 seconds each time they have the ball, we can still plod our way down the field if that's our best chance to score. Unless you believe that each time you have the ball, you have less of a chance of scoring than they do each time they have it, you shouldn't worry about TOP or limiting possessions.

The other team's style of play shouldn't factor in at all to how you go about running your offense. So again, scoring on the first play of the drive for us is still a very good result for us. It isn't worse than taking 15 plays to score.

smootness
08-22-2013, 08:15 AM
If football was strategerized with stats, teams would got for it every 4th down.

And they would be well-served to go for it a lot more than they do.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2013, 08:21 AM

No one ever said that it was bad to score quickly. I would certainly be OK with a quick score against OSU, but that wasn't the question. While it would be awesome if we scored 6 right off the bat, I just don't believe that will the be strategy.

The question was, "What will be the first play?" That insinuates, "What will the strategy be?" I don't think anyone on this board would be upset if our first play broke for a 70 yard TD. However, that wasn't question and shouldn't be the strategy.

TheRef
08-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Getting back to the topic at hand, I say I-Right 40 Wedge for the first play. Give Milton the ball and let him run it right down the stovepipe.

smootness
08-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Well, based on this, I assumed you didn't want a quick 6...since you seemed to imply no one would want that and it would be better to score on a longer drive.

That was the entire basis of my post, so if that somehow isn't what you were saying, my apologies.

smootness
08-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Getting back to the topic at hand, I say I-Right 40 Wedge for the first play. Give Milton the ball and let him run it right down the stovepipe.

For my guess, I'm saying PA pass, Russell will have the option to go to the TE, out wide to Chappelle, or dump off to Perkins.

I'm guessing Mullen will try to hit them with something right off the bat if he can. This, however, is IF we start with possession first. If they start with the ball and score, I think we'll play it conservatively and just try to move the chains. If they don't score first, then it will depend on where we are. If it's a turnover, we'll probably try to hit them quick with something deep.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Well, based on this, I assumed you didn't want a quick 6...since you seemed to imply no one would want that and it would be better to score on a longer drive.

That was the entire basis of my post, so if that somehow isn't what you were saying, my apologies.

My bad, I didn't explain it well.

bocfarm
08-22-2013, 08:47 AM
We're not going to stop them from racking up yards. And everybody can keep dreaming that our defense is different bc we're in the SEC, it doesn't matter...especially based off what I saw last yr.

Borrowed-Oklahoma State finished 8-5, same as us, last year. But, how they lost was very different.

Loss #1: 59-38 at Arizona. The Cowboys raced out to a quick 14-0 lead and ended up with 38 pts. & 636 yards of offense. What Arizona did to counteract that was was force 4 turnovers and rack up 501 yards of offense themselves. The key play was a 4th qtr pick six that broke open a 1 score game. The Wildcats then put them away. Arizona ran 90 plays from scrimmage which offset OSU running 93.

Loss #2: 41-36 vs. Texas. Their only home loss of the year was a back & forth game. Turnovers weren't a factor, they each had 1. OSU outgained them 576 to 440 but a 100 yd. kickoff return by the Horns was huge. It went into OT and Texas pulled it out. This is the one OSU feels they choked away after leading in the 4th qtr. Texas QB David Ash threw for over 300 yards and 3 TD's as OSU stopped the run most of the night.

Loss #3: 44-30 at KSU. K-State was on the attack right out of the gate and rolled up 31 first half points. OSU tried to play catch up, but never could even with 504 yards of offense and K-State's Collin Klein leaving the game with an injury. They key here is the Wildcats forced 5 turnovers to go with their 481 yards of offense and 44 pts.

Loss #4: 51-48 at Oklahoma. In one of the wildest Bedlam Rivalry games in recent years, the Sooners pulled out a 3 pt. win in OT. It took Oklahoma gaining 618 yards of offense & scoring 51 pts. to win this game by a field goal. The game was 24-24 at the half as the offenses just traded punches. Landry Jones final tally was 46 of 71 for 500 yards even and 3 scores. He needed every bit of it to offset OSU's 500 yards and 48 pts. OU backup Qb Blake Bell scored from the wildcat with 4 seconds left to force OT. Another one that got away for OSU.

Loss #5: 41-34 at Baylor. Baylor rolled up 615 yards of offense including 300 yds passing from Nick Florence in another wild game. Baylor jumped out to a quick 17-3 first qtr lead before OSU roared back. The Cowboys finished with 560 yards including 333 from QB Clint Chelf (likely starter against MSU). Turnovers weren't a factor in this one. Baylor's offense just outshot the Cowboys.

Every one of these 5 losses has the same thing that jumps out at me. OSU's offense rolls up yards & points against all of them. That's offset by all of these teams - Arizona, OU, Texas, K-State, & Baylor - likewise rolling up the yards & points. They all beat them at their own game. In a couple of the games the Cowboys were very turnover prone. But, there were no games they lost where the other team stopped their offense, ran the ball, controlled the clock, etc. Any team that had that game plan, and I'm sure a few did, had their feelings hurt by the end of the game.

OSU's Qb's and Wr's are all back. They do have a huge hole to fill losing starting star TB Joseph Randle. But, the path seems clear to me. Our offense better be locked and loaded. We're going to need 40 plus and 500 yards plus to win this. On average, that's what the 5 teams that beat OSU last year did. A couple of plays here & there in those OT games and they could've been 10-3. NOBODY stopped their offense.

I'll say it again, conservative offense will get us obliterated in this game. We have a 5th year senior accurate strong armed QB. We have all 5 starters returning on the OL. We have a great starting TE. We have a stable of versatile backs who can run & catch. And, we have a lot of talent at WR, but it's largely unproven. This Cowboy defense can be rolled up & smoked. Will we come out all guns blazing??? Or will be play not to lose???

SallyStansbury
08-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Very Croomesque........and a fear of mine as well.

I think we have some clever plays set up on the first series (as we often did last season), stuff we practice for weeks leading up to this game like an 8 yrd timing route to Lewis, ball is in the air while he is running and he turns around to catch it.

The bigger question is once we get the ball on the second series, is Mullen going to the Perkins up the middle routine, D stacks the box, 2nd and 9, incomplete pass as Russell gets hammered on the release.....rinse and repeat. Please let it not be this. Got to keep the D guessing.

Maroon Blood
08-22-2013, 08:58 AM
J. Lewis isolated in one-on-one coverage and TR hits him with a quick pass.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Shotgun, draw to Perkins, lose 5 yards. Mullen folds his arms and looks lost and I say **** it, I'm on bourbon street.**

PMDawg
08-22-2013, 10:02 AM

This is actually my prediction. I hate it though. Shotgun, mojo or Holmes split out and motions to the middle and lead blocks for LDP up the gut. This is a big 12 defense though, so I give us 3 yards instead of 1

Mullen and Koenning left their creativity on the plains of auburn in 2011 for some reason. Maybe they will pick it up when we go there this year.

smootness
08-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Just because OSU gave up tons of points/yards in their losses doesn't necessarily mean those opponents came out firing the ball all over the place. We could run what we ran last year and destroy their defense if it really isn't that bad. Just because you don't plan on airing it out doesn't mean you can't put up 40+. If the defense can't stop you, it won't matter what you run.

But playing in the Big 12 does affect that to some degree. We won't shut them down by any means, but the Big 12 now is an air-raid conference; they all spread out and go nuts throwing the ball, and none of them care about defense.

So of course their losses will all be shoot-outs. I'm sure all their wins were, too, except for the games where they played a bad offensive team. There are no elite defenses in that conference, and they're getting worse; and there are no conservative offenses...that doesn't mean the only way to beat them is to mirror their game.

Dawgtini
08-22-2013, 10:30 AM
What happened to their offense here last year?

Saturday Oct. 13 OSU at Kansas Jayhawks
Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS
Won 20-14

Was it due to Kansas having an Alabama/LSU type defense? Just because they play fast and throw it all over (air-raid Hal Mummy/M Leach style) doesn't mean they score 40+ every time they take the field. Can we get blown out? Yes Will we? I think it is unlikely.

FlabLoser
08-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Won 20-14

Was it due to Kansas having an Alabama/LSU type defense? Just because they play fast and throw it all over (air-raid Hal Mummy/M Leach style) doesn't mean they score 40+ every time they take the field. Can we get blown out? Yes Will we? I think it is unlikely.

It says here that the OSU defense sucks on long drives. They apparently can't stop the run or the dink and dunk. And the article has a picture of K State that you reference.

http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-defense-struggles-on-long-drives

Dawgtini
08-22-2013, 11:29 AM
The game I reference was against Kansas and Kansas finished at the bottom of the Big12/10/8.

Here (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/box-score/201210130020/oklahoma-state-cowboys--kansas-jayhawks)is the box score from the game. Looks like rain, rain, and delays, but OSU only had 371 yds to KU 398.

Bothrops
08-22-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't know about the first play, but Perkins and Turtle Holmes will have a good day.

MSUDawg4Life
08-22-2013, 04:22 PM

Won 20-14

Pouring rain the whole game. One-hour lightning delay.

You can't take a whole lot away from the stats of that game.

Dental Dawg
08-22-2013, 09:49 PM
My money is on a kickoff

PistolChad
08-23-2013, 06:35 AM

Won 20-14

I was at that game. As was stated above, it was a miserable game where it rained the entire time. Lightening delay of about an hour during the game too.

The Cowboys just didn't play well either. Kansas' defense wasn't very good. OSU stopped OSU more than Kansas did.

I think the players were not excited about being there playing a bad Kansas team in nasty conditions.

Fortunately MSU is obviously a lot better team than Kansas and the game is in a dome. :)

Delta
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I think we should run 3 qb sneaks in a row, then tell everybody to go deep.

jumbo
08-23-2013, 10:48 AM
read option play fake and 80 yd TD to Fred Ross

bulldogsmsu
08-23-2013, 01:09 PM
I agree with shotgun. Run Run Run and wear them down and slow the game down. I think we will get big push from our Oline after a few series of running it down their throat everything is wide open.