PDA

View Full Version : 8 years ago today....

ScoobaDawg
06-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Mama called our current Coach home and Polk went insane.
Thanks again Greg Bryne.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/news/story?id=3430009

M.Fillmore
06-06-2016, 01:09 PM
I still laugh when I think how we went from the worst AD in America to one of the best.

If LT were still here, Crxxm would still be over football, we would be hoping for 10,000 in season ticket sales, and Raffo would be over baseball. Howland? Fugetaboutit!

monroedawg5646
06-06-2016, 01:48 PM
I didn't realize it got that heated with Polk. Threatened to dismantle the program?? Really? What a dick.

War Machine Dawg
06-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Fitting that Polk's implosion was on D-Day.

http://i.imgur.com/MxFDXSh.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RGt7lRD.gif

maroonmania
06-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Fitting that Polk's implosion was on D-Day.

http://i.imgur.com/MxFDXSh.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RGt7lRD.gif

Yep, and if you've forgotten why so many still have no forgiveness for what Polk did, the following should remind you:

"Polk said Friday in an interview with The Associated Press that he asked Cohen not to move so Raffo, Cohen's former Bulldogs teammate under Polk from 1987-90, could get a shot at his first head coaching job. He threatened to actively work to dismantle key components of a program he helped build into one of the nation's best."

He actually followed through on much of what he threatened and made Cohen's rebuild job much more difficult than it should have been.

monroedawg5646
06-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Yep, and if you've forgotten why so many still have no forgiveness for what Polk did, the following should remind you:

"Polk said Friday in an interview with The Associated Press that he asked Cohen not to move so Raffo, Cohen's former Bulldogs teammate under Polk from 1987-90, could get a shot at his first head coaching job. He threatened to actively work to dismantle key components of a program he helped build into one of the nation's best."

He actually followed through on much of what he threatened and made Cohen's rebuild job much more difficult than it should have been.
What did he actually do? Or is this stuff that really shouldn't be discussed

maroonmania
06-06-2016, 03:44 PM

A lot of negative things behind the scenes to undermine Cohen's support among the fanbase but there is really no use in rehashing the details at this point. Just glad that phase is mostly over.

mstatefan91
06-06-2016, 04:30 PM
A lot of negative things behind the scenes to undermine Cohen's support among the fanbase but there is really no use it rehashing the details at this point. Just glad that phase is mostly over.

It still bubbles up. It was almost to a head at the beginning of this season with the early losses.

Goldendawg
06-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Us rehiring Polk made as much sense as rehiring Croom would make if Dan left. Never bring back anyone who already has a stadium named after them.

dawgoneyall
06-06-2016, 08:21 PM

Just take one thing away from this. Polk is a total Napoleonic A-hole. For several reasons.

RougeDawg
06-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Us rehiring Polk made as much sense as rehiring Croom would make if Dan left. Never bring back anyone who already has a stadium named after them.

I'll add "and someone who retired to later go coach at another SEC program."

Todd4State
06-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Polk had an underlying motive. He wanted to still coach but I think a part of him realized he couldn't do it at a high level anymore and to do that he needed someone that would do whatever he told him to do. And then at the same time, Raffo gets the job he always wanted at least in title. So in Polk's mind not hiring Raffo was essentially firing Polk. Polk also tried to do all of this before LT officially left because he knew that Byrne wasn't going to just do whatever Polk wanted like LT did. If you want to see what would have happened had we hired Raffo- look at UAB where Polk is now.

The other thing at play here is Polk doesn't like how Cohen coaches. As we have all seen, Cohen will do whatever it takes to win or at least try to- to the point where it may become a detriment at times. Polk thinks that his way is THE way that it has to be done and should be done- but he is afraid that if someone does something different and it works big time it's a knock against Ron Polk. Even though that's not true at all.

The biggest thing about Polk is when he was here the second time winning a National Championship wasn't the focus. And as a result, we had multiple underachieving seasons and lost out on a lot of good players that could have kept us at or near the top as we are accustomed to. Cohen on the other hand is all about tryng to win a National Championship- which he hasn't done yet but let's compare Polk II to Cohen.

Polk II- 2-5 in the Governor's Cup including a five year losing skid, a SEC Tournament Title, 1 Regional host appearance, 1 SR appearance which he won, and 1 CWS appearance.

Cohen (after his first two years where he was rebuilding so past six seasons) 4-2 in the Governor's Cup, SEC Tournament Title, 2 Regional host appearance, now with 3 SR appearances and he is 1-1 going into this weekends SR, 1 National Seed which is the first in school history, 1 SEC Championship, and to date 1 CWS appearance where we went further than we have in school history.

Raffo has been average at Arkansas State which is honestly about what I expected him to be. He needs to take a page from the SEMO State team we just played and recruit St. Louis hard- but he also needs to recruit Memphis hard and use his Mississippi ties. Heck- La Tech made a regional out of a stronger conference with several MS JUCO's leading them. Raffo has done a good job there- but they could also be better than they are.

Todd4State
06-07-2016, 12:33 AM
I didn't realize it got that heated with Polk. Threatened to dismantle the program?? Really? What a dick.

You must have just become a MSU fan the last 8 years. It was ugly.

Byrne was looking at Pat Casey at Oregon State and was strongly considering him. But Polk called him up and Casey took himself out of consideration- in large part because he though Polk was nuts.

lefty96
06-07-2016, 07:30 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I don't give to craps if Polk ever sets foot back on campus other than w/ UAB. When he said he wanted his name off the stadium, we shoulda had guys with crowbars out there that afternoon.

BeastMan
06-07-2016, 07:42 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I don't give to craps if Polk ever sets foot back on campus other than w/ UAB. When he said he wanted his name off the stadium, we shoulda had guys with crowbars out there that afternoon.

I'm with you 100%. Screw that guy. I completely understand the guys who played for him and love him but I don't see how any MSU fans with a macro view can have a positive outlook regarding Ron Polk.

maroonmania
06-07-2016, 09:23 AM
I'm with you 100%. Screw that guy. I completely understand the guys who played for him and love him but I don't see how any MSU fans with a macro view can have a positive outlook regarding Ron Polk.

Its just so MState that our most legendary coach in modern times in any sport ruined his legacy by taking a great big dump all over the school and fanbase on his way out. Sometimes it just feels like we can't have nice things.

BeastMan
06-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Its just so MState that our most legendary coach in modern times in any sport ruined his legacy by taking a great big dump all over the school and fanbase on his way out. Sometimes it just feels like we can't have nice things.

Exactly. Most MSU thing ever.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 10:36 AM
You must have just become a MSU fan the last 8 years. It was ugly.

Byrne was looking at Pat Casey at Oregon State and was strongly considering him. But Polk called him up and Casey took himself out of consideration- in large part because he though Polk was nuts.

Damn, never heard that part. I thought Cohen was the first, second, third, and fourth choice. And he was the hire I wanted, which has worked out beautifully. Casey would've been in my Top 3, though.

If Polk really did interfere in the coaching search like that, he should have had the hell sued out of him. I'm sure he's done well with his money, but if it were me in charge, I'd make damn sure he never saw a dime of whatever was left due to him. F Ron Polk.

lefty96
06-07-2016, 10:39 AM
F Ron Polk.

And the choir said Amen!

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2016, 10:41 AM

For me, it's not that he went on a rant in the media. He's a crazy old dude and college baseball is the only thing in his life. I could eventually forgive going off to a reporter if that's all he'd done. But the fact that he actively worked against the program and tried to poison the well for Cohen - that's unforgivable in my book. And I'd suspect how I feel is how a large part of the fanbase feels. I understand why we want to keep his name around the program, but I'd just as soon remove all traces of him.

lefty96
06-07-2016, 10:54 AM
For me, it's not that he went on a rant in the media. He's a crazy old dude and college baseball is the only thing in his life. I could eventually forgive going off to a reporter if that's all he'd done. But the fact that he actively worked against the program and tried to poison the well for Cohen - that's unforgivable in my book. And I'd suspect how I feel is how a large part of the fanbase feels. I understand why we want to keep his name around the program, but I'd just as soon remove all traces of him.

Losing your shit and going on a rant happens. The problem is once you do that, you gotta save face. We've all blown a gasket and had to show back up and eat the results.

I'd just as soon remove his name myself. It isn't even really a thing as far as I'm concerned. We play at Duty Noble. I've never heard anyone say Polk-Dement stadium.