PDA

View Full Version : OT: D Day 6/6/1944

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Sorry for the OT thread, but 72 years ago today one of the largest amphibous assualts took place. Many brave men lost their lives or were wounded and still carry what they saw with them today. I know we get caught up in life, but if you have the chance to visit with a WWII vet or just to say thank you, please do. It will end up meaning more for you than it will for them.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/120606121335-d-day-01-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

http://dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/ddaydead.jpg

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/d-day
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wwii-d-day-invasion-normandy-remembered-72-years-later/

SaintDawg
06-06-2016, 11:34 AM
http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/doc-content/images/ww2-eisenhower-d-day-order-m.jpg

SaintDawg
06-06-2016, 11:39 AM
To do what those men did on that day.... they stared death in the face and didn't flinch. The Greatest Generation.

BrunswickDawg
06-06-2016, 11:48 AM
It is something we will hopefully never see the likes of again - 156,000 men against the largest line of defense constructed in modern history.

My grandfather was at Omaha Beach and would talk about how from the moment the landing craft door opened everything went into slow motion and he seemed to see everything with too much detail. He felt he was lucky to survive that day without scratch. He did have his wristwatch shot off of his arm.

He had some incredible stories about WWII.

SaintDawg
06-06-2016, 12:00 PM
My grandfather was at Omaha Beach and would talk about how from the moment the landing craft door opened everything went into slow motion and he seemed to see everything with too much detail. He felt he was lucky to survive that day without scratch. He did have his wristwatch shot off of his arm. He had some incredible stories about WWII.
My granddad was in the Pacific. Intelligence.

starkvegasdawg
06-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Mine was in Algiers as a radio operator and morse code. Told the story that on the boat on the way over they had to go in a zig zag pattern to avoid u boats. On the way back they went through a hurricane or tropical system of some kind and were worried that may sink the ship. Told him that would have been bad to have survived the war only to have your boat sunk on the trip home.

redstickdawg
06-06-2016, 12:12 PM
I visited the Normandy beaches last year on this day. It is truly amazing and do not let anyone tell you that the French do not understand or honor the sacrifice. There were a lot of reenactors (hundreds) there and they were paying tribute to the men that sacrificed for them that day. St. Mere Eglise is the center of the folks that day and you could not walk through the town center due to all of the visitors. I will try to post some pictures this evening from home. One of the most striking things is the obstacle of Omaha beach that is greatly under appreciated. The tidal ebb there is several hundred yards from low to high. These men landed at low tide had to traverse ~300 yards before they got to the Germans that were dug in on a bluff that rose 50-100 feet from the shore line. Pointe du Hoc is also amazing for more severe topography.

msbulldog
06-06-2016, 12:24 PM
We should all give prayers of thanks for what they did for us!

Dolphus Raymond
06-06-2016, 12:56 PM
The Greatest Generation, indeed. WWW II brought out the best in America because "right" and "wrong" was never a question. It is one of the few times when it was all black and white, with no grey area. Your political leanings were not relevant; Left or Right had no bearing on what you were willing to give or do in that you just did it, knowing if you died, you died for a cause that was beyond noble. WW II and later, the modern civil rights movement, brought out the best in America. As a former paratrooper, the thought of going "out the door" over France with the 101st turns my spine to jelly. When the American people are willing to die for a cause and never question for a second that the cause is just, they are unstoppable. Freedom and justice are the highest callings of every American.

BulldogBear
06-06-2016, 01:05 PM
My grandfather was drill instructor at Camp Shelby

My other grandfather was a chaplain about to ship out when the war ended

My great Uncles:

Europe...saw terrible things and would rarely talk about it. He told about a friend killed by a wooden bullet. Took his whole side off.

Europe...landed on Omaha a week after D-Day, some kind of support unit. Did come under arty fire a few times.

Europe...occupation of Germany

Europe...came around the corner of a building and ran into a young German soldier whom he then beat to the draw...still haunted by the look in the guy's eyes as he pulled trigger. Also busted into a church where Krauts were holding some civilians hostage. The guards just happened to be facing the wrong way when he and his LT kicked the door in.

DancingRabbit
06-06-2016, 01:07 PM
It is something we will hopefully never see the likes of again - 156,000 men against the largest line of defense constructed in modern history.

My grandfather was at Omaha Beach and would talk about how from the moment the landing craft door opened everything went into slow motion and he seemed to see everything with too much detail. He felt he was lucky to survive that day without scratch. He did have his wristwatch shot off of his arm.

He had some incredible stories about WWII.

My Dad (RIP) also landed on Omaha Beach. He said he was not among the first waves of the assault or likely he (nor I) would be here.

Dolphus Raymond
06-06-2016, 01:14 PM
How those men were able to take the Omaha Beach objectives is one of the biggest miracles of WW II. How they were able to hold on until General Bradley got them navel support demonstrates courage that is beyond my level of comprehension.

starkvegasdawg
06-06-2016, 01:28 PM
It's hard to even comprehend just what they did and the sacrifice they made. I dare say this country doesn't have the fortitude to fight another WWII today. Our military does, but I don't think the country does. Our country today is a shell of what it was back then. We've gone from 18 year olds storming Omaha beach to needing a safe space when they hear something that hurts their feelings.

Commercecomet24
06-06-2016, 01:30 PM
In my business I work with seniors. I enjoy listening to them and the stories they have to tell. They went through so much to for this country. The Depression, WWII and gave of themselves that we might enjoy the freedoms and liberties we have today. I lost an uncle at Omaha Beach, killed by mortar fire. Truly the Greatest Generation!

BrunswickDawg
06-06-2016, 01:32 PM
My grandfather was drill instructor at Camp Shelby

My other grandfather was a chaplain about to ship out when the war ended

My great Uncles:

Europe...saw terrible things and would rarely talk about it. He told about a friend killed by a wooden bullet. Took his whole side off.

Europe...landed on Omaha a week after D-Day, some kind of support unit. Did come under arty fire a few times.

Europe...occupation of Germany

Europe...came around the corner of a building and ran into a young German soldier whom he then beat to the draw...still haunted by the look in the guy's eyes as he pulled trigger. Also busted into a church where Krauts were holding some civilians hostage. The guards just happened to be facing the wrong way when he and his LT kicked the door in.

The number of families that had multiple sons serving was unreal. My Granddaddy was one of 7 boys, and 4 of his brothers served. A 5th brother was a pilot but too old. He lied about his age and joined the RAF in Canada. He flew one supply mission to England before the found out his real age and kicked him out. Amazingly all survived - though one lost 1/3 of his skull in North Africa when his tank turret was blown off. Collectively they saw almost every major event in the war and could tell the tale - except the bombs in Japan. Oddly enough, my other grandfather could tell that story as he did the last pre-flight electrical check on the Enola Gay.

Dolphus Raymond
06-06-2016, 01:37 PM
If the cause is just, the American people will rise to the occasion.

parabrave
06-06-2016, 01:59 PM
And on the Italian Front. Rome also fell on this date.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-06-2016, 02:43 PM
In my business I work with seniors. I enjoy listening to them and the stories they have to tell. They went through so much to for this country. The Depression, WWII and gave of themselves that we might enjoy the freedoms and liberties we have today. I lost an uncle at Omaha Beach, killed by mortar fire. Truly the Greatest Generation!

Yep and pussies today need a safe space. It pisses me off to no end these entitled attitudes of the current generation and the lack of appreciation of what these great men and women did for our country.

https://media.giphy.com/media/DFnVG6zJbk3bq/giphy.gif

Drugs Delaney
06-06-2016, 03:37 PM
That's where the phrase came from " Rangers, lead the way." And if you have been in one of the three battalions you have said it many times. God bless those men.

Jack Lambert
06-06-2016, 04:26 PM
My great uncle went in late the first day. He survived the war but wounded late. I have his mustard blanket that he carried with him from D Day until he came home. My wife started to give it to good will thinking it was just an old blanket with mouth holes. I stopped her before it was too late and explain that you could never replace the blanket. My grandchildren are going to inherited a great memento one day.

jbjones
06-06-2016, 04:40 PM
That's where the phrase came from " Rangers, lead the way." And if you have been in one of the three battalions you have said it many times. God bless those men.

Yep....also if I remember correctly, supposed to be where the old mowhawk haircuts came from that was standard in the 75th. Obviously, that isn't the standard these days with the current mission.

But yeah, starting out with 220+ Rangers and having around 90 survive the operation is just unimaginable. RLTW, indeed. It makes those cliffs at Pointe Du Hoc seem both fascinating and horrific at the same time.

Drugs Delaney
06-06-2016, 04:50 PM
we called it a "high and tight."

Mutt the Hoople
06-06-2016, 04:52 PM
My grandpa became a farmer to get out of the draft.

Dawgcentral
06-06-2016, 05:46 PM
85% casualties in the first wave.

They all said they did what they had to do. Did what they were trained to do, and that Hitler had to be stopped.

I personally think they were made of better stuff than we are. Maybe I just can't imagine running into almost certain death trying to take a beach.

Dolphus Raymond
06-06-2016, 06:16 PM
My neighbor in Atlanta, Miss Ruth, had a brother die on D-Day. It is very telling, that just about every American was in some way touched by WW II and the comments in this thread are just an example. That is why, in my opinion, whenever we go to war, we should always go as a nation. When our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines are sent to fight, ALL Americans should be required to sacrifice in some way. One of the best ways to ensure this is through the Selective Service system. When the President commits American forces to combat, the draft should ALLWAYS go into effect. A lottery with NO EXEMPTIONS. Every family in our nation, no matter wealth, education, race or whatever must be required to accept risk. It is so easy to say "support the troops" when it is not your son or daughter going in harm's way. We go to war as a nation or we don't go at all.
Make sense?

Liverpooldawg
06-06-2016, 06:49 PM
If you ever get a chance to go to Normandy don't pass it up. We spent July 4th there in 2010. It was one of the more moving experiences of my life. We had one day and we spent it in the American assault areas with a great guide. It was a whirlwind but we saw a LOT. A guide is VERY much worth it.

Drugs Delaney
06-06-2016, 06:52 PM
would love to do that

If you ever get a chance to go to Normandy don't pass it up. We spent July 4th there in 2010. It was one of the more moving experiences of my life. We had one day and we spent it in the American assault areas with a great guide. It was a whirlwind but we saw a LOT. A guide is VERY much worth it.

Liverpooldawg
06-06-2016, 07:19 PM
would love to do that

This is who we used:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187181-d1788361-Reviews-Executive_D_Day_Private_Tours-Bayeux_Calvados_Basse_Normandie_Normandy.html

Bully13
06-06-2016, 07:23 PM
My grandpa became a farmer to get out of the draft.

not funny one 17ing bit on this day. should have stayed out of this one brah.

Mutt the Hoople
06-06-2016, 08:03 PM
My other Grandpa was in WW I, and wanted to join the seabees in WW II, but was too old.

My dad flew choppers in vietnam.