PDA

View Full Version : Is our lack of run production beginning to concern anyone else?...

maroonmania
06-06-2016, 10:48 AM
I know, I know, I should probably just enjoy the regional win but I can't help but be concerned that in our last 6 games (where we are back to playing better competition) that we have only scored more than 4 runs ONCE. Its been 4,2,2,9,4,4. We seem to be very impatient at the plate so we aren't getting many walks or getting into favorable counts and we are swinging at way too many bad pitches. Our regional pitching (outside of Hudson) was excellent but we are going to need to get the offense cranked back up to make a deep run in this thing. Guess I'm seeing so many other teams putting up big offensive numbers in the regionals and we are sputtering along with 4 run games and it is slightly concerning.

MarketingBully
06-06-2016, 10:54 AM
We had a pretty tough regional that mirrored Ole Miss' and had the highest RPI of any other regional (which you could argue means it was the toughest.). We faced SEMO's ace, faced one of CSF's toughest pitchers, and faced a kid throwing 96 from La Tech. We got hits and scored when we needed to and our bullpen came through in the clutch. Would I like to score more runs? Sure. But this team seems to score and come through when we need to. We will be okay.

Taog Redloh
06-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Yes I know what you mean. But remember it's going to be our pitching that helps us make a run. Our hitting is good enough. And, we had a tougher regional than most and faced some tough pitching.

I don't really like the lineup but I'm not complaining either.

Johnson85
06-06-2016, 10:59 AM
I know, I know, I should probably just enjoy the regional win but I can't help but be concerned that in our last 6 games (where we are back to playing better competition) that we have only scored more than 4 runs ONCE. Its been 4,2,2,9,4,4. We seem to be very impatient at the plate so we aren't getting many walks or getting into favorable counts and we are swinging at way too many bad pitches. Our regional pitching (outside of Hudson) was excellent but we are going to need to get the offense cranked back up to make a deep run in this thing. Guess I'm seeing so many other teams putting up big offensive numbers in the regionals and we are sputtering along with 4 run games and it is slightly concerning.

Considering the pitching we were facing and just the fact that there are going to be some periods of worse offensive production, it doesn't seem that concerning. We are going to have to score more, but it's a six game stretch. It doesn't scream long term problem to me.

Reason2succeed
06-06-2016, 11:05 AM
It seems like we strand a lot of guys on base.

WinningIsRelentless
06-06-2016, 11:17 AM
It seems like we strand a lot of guys on base.

It would be more concerning if we weren't stranding runners. Stranding runners means we are getting people on base.

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-06-2016, 11:48 AM
I think it's been a decline in our 2 out hitting. We're still good here. We just performed outside our minds most of the season with 2 outs.

This doesnt worry me though. Post season games always have a different feel to them. This team seems to rise to the occasion.

the59dawg
06-06-2016, 11:50 AM
It would be more concerning if we weren't stranding runners. Stranding runners means we are getting people on base.

This.

QuadrupleOption
06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
I'd like to score more runs, but to be fair we've faced some really good pitchers.
Looking at the # of hits per game, I think we're doing okay:
Bama 12
LSU 8
Florida 7
SEMO 14
CSF 9
LaTech 10

Commercecomet24
06-06-2016, 12:55 PM
When yoy get to post season you're gonna face better pitching and better teams. Scoring is going to be down. Post season is based on pitching and defense always has been always will be. We hit enough and score enough.

War Machine Dawg
06-06-2016, 01:47 PM
I repeat: This team does whatever it takes to win. If they need to score 12, they'll score 12. If they need to grind it out 2-1, they'll do that. I'm not worried at all about this team, barring an injury or two. This club is different mentally than perhaps any we've ever had.

parabrave
06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Great pitching, clutch defense and timely hitting is what gets you to the CGs. Also having the other team commit errors does help.

Commercecomet24
06-06-2016, 01:59 PM
I repeat: This team does whatever it takes to win. If they need to score 12, they'll score 12. If they need to grind it out 2-1, they'll do that. I'm not worried at all about this team, barring an injury or two. This club is different mentally than perhaps any we've ever had.

I agree. This team is full of winners. You see it in their approach, their demeanor, everything they do on the field. This is a special group and they are gamers. They gonna do whatever it takes to get it done.

smootness
06-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Nope, not concerned at all. If Hudson rebounds and Sexton and Houston keep it up, we're going to be really, really tough for anybody to beat.

Taog Redloh
06-06-2016, 03:30 PM

I think it's just the opposite. I think this team has all the talent in the world, but they did not have the balls. I am HOPING that is changing, and it seems to be. The addition of Jake Mangum and Ryan Rigby was just what the doctor ordered. A team's core is the upperclass, though.

My opinion is supported by the following:

- Results from summer ball
- Recruiting rankings
- Slow development of the juniors/seniors

In two years, we will see what you are talking about. Mangum, Marrero, Alexander, Stovall, Pilkington, Gridley.....those guys are mentally tough as a group. Much more than the upperclass we have now.

smootness
06-06-2016, 03:35 PM
I think it's just the opposite. I think this team has all the talent in the world, but they did not have the balls. I am HOPING that is changing, and it seems to be. The addition of Jake Mangum and Ryan Rigby was just what the doctor ordered. A team's core is the upperclass, though.

My opinion is supported by the following:

- Results from summer ball
- Recruiting rankings
- Slow development of the juniors/seniors

In two years, we will see what you are talking about. Mangum, Marrero, Alexander, Stovall, Pilkington, Gridley.....those guys are mentally tough as a group. Much more than the upperclass we have now.

What gave you the impression they didn't have the balls? Their turnaround after 2 bad midweek losses to win a series @ Vandy? The other road series wins over Florida and LSU? Winning 9 straight games to take the SEC title?

Taog Redloh
06-06-2016, 03:39 PM
What gave you the impression they didn't have the balls?
The stuff I listed, plus my general observations and what I hear.

Their turnaround after 2 bad midweek losses to win a series @ Vandy? The other road series wins over Florida and LSU? Winning 9 straight games to take the SEC title?
Talent won a lot of those games. Talent that finally grew up. And lights out performances from Rigby didn't hurt either. Like I said, we've gotten better as the season went on. And up until now, talent has helped us win in the postseason. You'll find out what type of balls we have when we line up against some men in Omaha. Don't make me mention Texas A&M at home on SBW. Or Hoover.

Do you understand what I mean when I separate talent and balls? I'm not sure you do.

smootness
06-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Do you understand what you mean? You were given the impression that this team didn't have balls because of recruiting rankings, summer results, and slow development? That doesn't seem to make any sense.

And you point out losing to 'men' at A&M as proof yet completely dismiss the fact that we won every road series in conference play, including 3 against top 10 teams.

But a lot of our fans think that any player who either doesn't play that well or has a bad game here or there is a 'mental midget,' so that's not really a surprise.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-06-2016, 04:02 PM
The stuff I listed, plus my general observations and what I hear.

Talent won a lot of those games. Talent that finally grew up. And lights out performances from Rigby didn't hurt either. Like I said, we've gotten better as the season went on. And up until now, talent has helped us win in the postseason. You'll find out what type of balls we have when we line up against some men in Omaha. Don't make me mention Texas A&M at home on SBW. Or Hoover.

Do you understand what I mean when I separate talent and balls? I'm not sure you do.

Texas A&M is probably the only team in the country that I would firmly put above MSU right now.

maroonmania
06-06-2016, 04:03 PM
When yoy get to post season you're gonna face better pitching and better teams. Scoring is going to be down. Post season is based on pitching and defense always has been always will be. We hit enough and score enough.

I get your point but if you look around the regional scores it would be hard to get the impression that "scoring is down". Tons of games with teams scoring 8+ runs. Many with a team scoring well into double digits. I didn't expect us to have a big score against the CSF starter but I thought we would score significantly more last night. We certainly scored more than I thought we would against the SEMO starter in Game 1. So that was at least a positive.

Commercecomet24
06-06-2016, 04:24 PM
I get your point but if you look around the regional scores it would be hard to get the impression that "scoring is down". Tons of games with teams scoring 8+ runs. Many with a team scoring well into double digits. I didn't expect us to have a big score against the CSF starter but I thought we would score significantly more last night. We certainly scored more than I thought we would against the SEMO starter in Game 1. So that was at least a positive.

I understand what you're saying as well. Majority of those big scores were put up against weaker pitching and weaker opponents, not the frontline guys and not the better overall teams. We will be fine. We have faced a ton of great pitching this year and we can handle it. Also with the pitching we been running out there lately, we don't have to put up 10 runs a game and the further you go in the postseaon the better pitching you're gonna see. All the weaker teams and staffs will be gone. What i'm really trying to say is that teams that go the deepest are gonna have the best pitching and best defense. When you face the best pitching scores are always gonna be lower. I think we are gonna be just fine.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2016, 04:47 PM

I'm with you. Not panicking or freaking out...but somewhat concerned that our bats & 2 out hitting has cooled off. Lowe has cooled off considerably as has Mangum. I feel like Mangum's aggressiveness is being used against him now by opposing pitchers, and I'm not sure why Lowe isn't working the count more like he was 2-3 weeks ago. Luckily, Gridley and Holland have gotten a little warmer lately, and Rooker is seeing the ball better than he has all year. Our lineup is just so good from top to bottom, that I just can't get too worked up over it. I mean, I'm saying Lowe & Mangum have cooled off, yet both had several hits in the Regional.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to whether our guys adjust to teams taking advantage of our over aggressive at bats. If we adjust, we'll get a lot of free passes going forward, bc Mangum, Lowe, Robson, Gridley, & Holland swung at everything this weekend...and most pitches were balls. Gotta adjust, but you just feel like a few of our guys are going to be hot every game...just never know which ones, which makes it a nightmare to play against us I bet. No easy outs.

At the end of the day, it comes down to our pitchers though. If Hudson, Sexton, and Houston pitch their best the rest of the year....we won't need more than 4-5 runs per game. And I'm actually more concerned with Hudson than the other two. When you combine our lineup with those 3 at their best...I think Florida is the only team that can match us. When we play our A game....Florida's A game is the only one I feel matches us. With A&M a close second