PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss makes MSN.Com Sports Again - Katrina taunts

Goldendawg
06-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Ole Miss is again front and center over poor taste taunt using the message on the baseball referencing Katrina. On MSN.COM sports home page right now. Somehow I see a pattern here. Maybe one of you guys can link it.

Jack Lambert
06-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Well they are not the most hated team in america that belongs to Penn State and Baylor but maybe Ole Miss see's an opportunity to be Number 1 at something so they are doubling down.

BrunswickDawg
06-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Hopefully, as more stuff like this and the NOA Coke to light it will cause people outside of MS to stop saying "Ole Miss isn't bad, you don't like them because they are your rival" and start saying "man, y'all have to put up with THOSE douches every day?"

Coackjek
06-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Hopefully, as more stuff like this and the NOA Coke to light it will cause people outside of MS to stop saying "Ole Miss isn't bad, you don't like them because they are your rival" and start saying "man, y'all have to put up with THOSE douches every day?"

I'm pretty sure people are already confusing us for them. ***

Dallas_Dawg
06-05-2016, 07:06 PM

You both are right unfortunately

SaintDawg
06-06-2016, 07:17 AM
I wish someone would explain how we get confused with OM all the time? Every state in the ******* union has at least two schools. One is the "University of..." and the other is "...State University". Do we confuse Ohio and Ohio State? Florida and Florida State? I guess it just the media saying it's Mississippi, so it's all the same. Bullshit media.

starkvegasdawg
06-06-2016, 07:38 AM
I wish someone would explain how we get confused with OM all the time? Every state in the ******* union has at least two schools. One is the "University of..." and the other is "...State University". Do we confuse Ohio and Ohio State? Florida and Florida State? I guess it just the media saying it's Mississippi, so it's all the same. Bullshit media.

It can be easy. How many of us know without google which city Iowa and Iowa State are located in? We're a small rural state with two programs that have never really made a splash on the national scene enough to really differentiate ourselves to the casual sports fan in Pocatello, ID. Yeah, it pissed me off, too, especially considering what douche bags reside in TSUN, but it is what it is.

BrunswickDawg
06-06-2016, 07:48 AM
It can be easy. How many of us know without google which city Iowa and Iowa State are located in? We're a small rural state with two programs that have never really made a splash on the national scene enough to really differentiate ourselves to the casual sports fan in Pocatello, ID. Yeah, it pissed me off, too, especially considering what douche bags reside in TSUN, but it is what it is.

I even hear people confuse us with USM - which just blows me away. "Ah, yes, the Mississippi State Rebels. I love Hattiesburg and Brett Farve."

AlmostPositive
06-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Actual OM message board take: "How do you know it was an Ole Miss fan who threw the ball out and not just some random guy making us look bad?"

OM fans imagining that Some Random Guy is needed to make them look bad is high, high humor.

Reason2succeed
06-06-2016, 08:41 AM

The problem is that OM goes back and forth between the names OM and University of Mississippi. The bigger issue is that we have not put enough into creating a national brand. Winning is a big part of that but also having your home state media publicize those wins properly helps as well. The CL has never done us any favors and so ESPN and other other outlets follow suit.

TrapGame
06-06-2016, 08:50 AM
I even hear people confuse us with USM - which just blows me away. "Ah, yes, the Mississippi State Rebels. I love Hattiesburg and Brett Farve."

Went to NYC back in January with the kids on a school trip. We were waiting in line to see a Broadway show and the security guards were off duty cops. One started a conversation about where we were from. We all shouted Mississippi. And he asked if we were all ole miss fans. I shouted out "Hell, no!", which amused my kids and a few others around us. The cop laughed and said "Well, in that case Hail State!".

Maroonthirteen
06-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Typically, I encounter the problem with females. Usually younger females......I am at store and wearing State garb.....young girl says, "I saw your team beat Alabama."
Me: "No, that was Ole Miss." Confused looked ensues.

But ESPN or anyone that follows college sports confusing us.......I would just say that person is stupid.

Maroonthirteen
06-06-2016, 08:55 AM
"Ole Miss...beautiful campus. Ugly people."

Hobby Lobby.

ScoobaDawg
06-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Everyone should do their part to educate anyone who uses the words "Ole Miss" on it's racist roots.
Just see my signature.

DancingRabbit
They were playing When the Levee Breaks on the loudspeakers during warm-ups.

BulldogDX55
It really is the Ole Miss moniker that causes the national confusion. There is zero indication in that name as to whether it belongs to University of or State University.

AlmostPositive
06-06-2016, 09:13 AM
It really is the Ole Miss moniker that causes the national confusion. There is zero indication in that name as to whether it belongs to University of or State University.

If they lack the necessary self-respect, they should change their name for our sake.**

Goldendawg
06-06-2016, 12:05 PM
UNM AD Bjerk apoligizes for incident. Article in Carrion Liar. I don't have any free views left and would never subscribe.

TrapGame
06-06-2016, 12:06 PM
UNM AD Bjerk apoligizes for incident. Article in Carrion Liar. I don't have any free views left and would never subscribe.

I'm sure he told the CL they couldn't wait to tell their side of the story.

starkvegasdawg
06-06-2016, 12:27 PM
I think at first he just said it was coincidence and not intentional. The apology came later after it got national attention. I believe he had no plans to apologize initially. One of his lawyers probably grabbed him by his wrestling belt and yanked him off his adult tricycle and said this isn't the pub we need with the NCAA about to go in dry so how about some mea culpas.

MadDawg
06-06-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm sure he told the CL they couldn't wait to tell their side of the story.

Mistakes were made. ***

Coach34
06-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Actual OM message board take: "How do you know it was an Ole Miss fan who threw the ball out and not just some random guy making us look bad?"

OM fans imagining that Some Random Guy is needed to make them look bad is high, high humor.

This is always their 1st response until they are proven dumbasses every time. They tried to say the hangman's noose they put around the Meredith statue was someone else- until it was proven it was yet again a student

TrapGame
06-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Mistakes were made. ***

Those without mistakes cast the first red high heel.*

BossDawg
06-06-2016, 01:31 PM
The whole Clay Chandler Twitter fiasco needs to be a national issue, too. Evidently he also played a major part in getting Blevins fired for all the stuff he uncovered on Tunsil. He is just one example of the types of people running the state of Mississippi.

Johnson85
06-06-2016, 01:34 PM
The problem is that OM goes back and forth between the names OM and University of Mississippi.

This is definitely a big part of it, although a lot of it is also the fact that not many small states have similarly situated state schools with the one being "university of _____" and the other being "_____ state university". I suspect Iowa and Iowa State get confused a lot. I suspect Utah and Utah St. get confused a lot. I bet Arizona and Arizona St. are confused a lot. Kansas and Kansas St. would except Kansas has a strong national brand in basketball. Michigand and Michgan st. are probably from a big enough state that they wouldn't, but Michigan has a national brand in football. Same for UNC and NC St. except UNC has such a strong national brand in basketball. South Carolina has CLemson instead of a south carolina st. Alabama has Auburn. Florida and Florida State are national brands. Indiana, Nebraska, Arkansas, Illinois, and Texas don't have "___ state university schools" or if they do, they are a minor conference school. Ohio State is the opposite, with university of ohio being a minor school. Then there are states that I don't even know if they have both. Does Idaho? Does new Mexico?

Going back and forth between Ole Miss and University of Mississippi definitely exacerbates it though as it splits Ole Miss's name recognition. If they stuck to Ole Miss, we'd probably get confused about as much as South Carolina and Clemson. If the stuck with University of Mississippi, we'd probably be in the same boat as Iowa and Iowa St or Arizona and Arizona St.